Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers (19696 Views)

How Much Is This Loaf Of Bread In Your Area? (pix) / Prices Of Bread, Paste May Crash As FG Releases Four New Varieties Of Wheat / Expect 50% Increase In Prices Of Bread - Bakers Tell Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by BadBradley: 4:14pm On Apr 16
haybhi1:

You just wanted a share of blame apportioned to the Yoruba in this respect because you didn't want it for solely the Igbo. However, it's clear that the 'trade industry' is largely owned by the Igbos, in Nigeria. No gainsaying! They do with the pricing what they want in most cases. It's unregulated.

Blame us elsewhere anywhere our fault lies, but never in trade, which belongs to you, largely, and Hausa, on a lower scale.

P.S: Don't call me ekpa! If you call me ekpa, you too ekpa. Na you know wetin e mean! Never call me ekpa again!
looks.....so who accused Yoruba of trade blames?

Nigeria's problems like on the big 3 squarely...

1 Hausa-politics
2 Yorubas - polices & politics
3 Igbos - trade and local inflation
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Love800(m): 4:25pm On Apr 16
Dem dey use fire-wood dey bake?
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Omoh...e don really tay cha.........Bread business don spoil finish..... Reminds me of back in 2016-2020, during the Lock down...I had a similar conversation with my former boss whom I worked with in his bakery back then... he don even close up him bakery enter another business because the thing do. Tire everybody......

Cost of firewood don dey expensive .....Bag of flour should be around 50k+ now...The same bag of flour we bought at #14,000 back in 2020.....Talk more of sugar,salt, preservatives,yeast, butter and cellophane........
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by jude2016: 4:37pm On Apr 16
PressMyButton:

Volatility in his dreams, he thinks he was talking to his kids at home. Greedy nigerians.
Baker's are not to be blamed for the high cost of bread! Flour, sugar, butter and other items used for production are still on the high side.

Dagote and other millers should be blamed for the high price of 🍞
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by alphaNomega: 4:38pm On Apr 16
if volcano erupts in the philipines, the nigerian "businessman" will increase price
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Redman44(m): 4:41pm On Apr 16
Better and tastier bread can be produced with local grains. Cheers.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Redman44(m): 4:43pm On Apr 16
I have since started discovering local alternatives to everything that is used to make bread and other snacks. Cheers. THINKING and WISDOM is the principal thing. Cheers.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by BlackyOne: 4:53pm On Apr 16
Why not make flour out of cassava, then you don't have to solely rely on imported wheat flour.

We can have casava bread, invest in casava plantations across the country and we'll be self sufficient.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Saintinoo(m): 5:09pm On Apr 16
Afamed:

Are you normal?

100% normal than you are.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by DMerciful(m): 5:12pm On Apr 16
LegendHero

Oturugbeke. Na statistics we go chop?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-16/ngn-usd-nigeria-s-fx-reserves-plunge-in-tandem-with-naira-rebound?utm_content=africa&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-africa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic

Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Everydaylove: 5:41pm On Apr 16
Everything was fine until Nigeria until Buhari/ Tinubu came in. E no go better for apc people lagbara edumare. Useless party
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 5:56pm On Apr 16
CrossRhodes:

As long as Nigeria customs keeps custom duties and imports prices high, good and services will continue to remain high

The bakers are in business and if import duties are still high people should direct their grievance to FG and customs, not the poor bakers.
if FG and custom duties are the problem, they will all complain about it. So far non of them have complained that FG and custom duties are the problem because they are not.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Kingzmate(m): 5:57pm On Apr 16
JUST DEY PLAY cheesy

SO AGEGE BREAD BACK THEN NA IMPORTED 98% RAW MATERIAL shocked

JONZIN TALK grin
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by ONNYX: 6:19pm On Apr 16
Kingzmate:
JUST DEY PLAY cheesy

SO AGEGE BREAD BACK THEN NA IMPORTED 98% RAW MATERIAL shocked

JONZIN TALK grin

You will be shocked to know that the emboldened is the case and has always been.

We have never achieved wheat production to a commercial degree. All we have had is media blitz about dry season wheat, cassava flour bread etc.

So long as we don't grow wheat enough locally bread will always be expensive. Wheat is the base raw materials constituting over 70% of the total raw materials used.

It worsens when we add other costs like diesel, packaging, emoluments.

Do you have an idea of how much it costs to make just one set of stainless steel bread pans? What about equipment spare parts?

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Equity15(m): 6:45pm On Apr 16
pocohantas:
Bread contributes to the big stomach of Nigerians. It shouldn't be expensive. It should be sold at giveaway prices. Including that overhyped Bokku bread.
bokuu isn't overhyped. I beg to disagree. That bread make sense
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by RevenuesBoost(f): 6:54pm On Apr 16
Then you guys should leave wheat and make cassava bread.

Nigeria have cassava but don't use most of it for flour. Garri is the trend.

This was what our Ex President Olusegun Obasanjo was trying to achieve.
He tried to preach the use of cassava flour to make bread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1364033/olusegun-obasanjo-eating-cassava-bread

I've eaten cassava bread and it tastes good.
We can do without wheat.

Establish more industries in cassava producing states for the processing of cassava to flour and bread production price will lessen.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by PHAYOL81: 7:28pm On Apr 16
Now that dollar is crashing, why's bread getting more expensive despite?
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by jojothaiv(m): 7:58pm On Apr 16
Paraman:
It seems this interview was conducted in january or february
Honestly, I need to go back in time.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Redman44(m): 8:05pm On Apr 16
RevenuesBoost:
Then you guys should leave wheat and make cassava bread.

Nigeria have cassava but don't use most of it for flour. Garri is the trend.

This was what our Ex President Olusegun Obasanjo was trying to achieve.
He tried to preach the use of cassava flour to make bread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1364033/olusegun-obasanjo-eating-cassava-bread

I've eaten cassava bread and it tastes good.
We can do without wheat.

Establish more industries in cassava producing states for the processing of cassava to flour and bread production price will lessen.

You are so right. Cassava bread made from Cassava flour is good for consumption. Cassava bread is healthier than wheat bread. Bread can be made with Corn too, you know . 60% wheat flour and 40% maize flour can be used to make bread. Flour mills in Nigeria are trying to discredit cassava flour . There arev so many things we can make with our local crops . It is an unexplored mine we have. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by NELLY1990: 8:09pm On Apr 16
Hahahahaa

lhawarl1:
Lol the headline should be " russian-ukraine war dey affect nigeria bread production"

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by safarifarms(m): 8:51pm On Apr 16
otokx:
Which volatility is he talking about when the naira is gaining evey day against the dollar?
Do you think wheat is imported everyday?
Do you think the wheat is freighted by jet? Or how long do you think a ship takes to move from say Ukraine to Nigeria?
We don't need to take everything by emotions.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by masseratti: 8:58pm On Apr 16
PressMyButton:

Volatility in his dreams, he thinks he was talking to his kids at home. Greedy nigerians.
I swear..they are bunch of greedy people but I think other Nigerians should take advantage of the situation and enter the marker and sell lower ..itsvwe Nigerians that kill ourselves with our greed .
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by abbeyd2(m): 9:11pm On Apr 16
Don't worry I have tons of wheat in stock to sell just DM for business discussion
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Inosky(m): 9:20pm On Apr 16
Greed that all! They want to make all the money at once. ShopRite bread is 1500, and street long loaves here is 1,700. Greed, greedy greediest
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Whois(m): 10:12pm On Apr 16
What happened to Jonathan's cassava bread undecided
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by justmi1: 10:18pm On Apr 16
If you think bread is expensive, enter marker buy ingredients and bake your bread or eat something "cheap", saying this respectfully
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Silentgroper(m): 6:15am On Apr 17
Maybe we should start doing it the revenue boost way .. mix up the wheat flour with cassava flour make the Godforsaken bread ... That's if it can be used to make bread though
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by RevenuesBoost(f): 7:34am On Apr 17
Redman44:

You are so right. Cassava bread made from Cassava flour is good for consumption. Cassava bread is healthier than wheat bread. Bread can be made with Corn too, you know . 60% wheat flour and 40% maize flour can be used to make bread. Flour mills in Nigeria are trying to discredit cassava flour . There arev so many things we can make with our local crops . It is an unexplored mine we have. Cheers.

You're very right
Hubby taught me how to process cassava into flour and we do it ourselves.

I use it to make Pie, buns and chin chin.
https://www.nairaland.com/8058820/how-used-home-made-cassava-flour
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Growing(m): 9:43am On Apr 17
When naira moved from N1000 to N1100, you increase price and say it is dollar. You kept increasing price till naira got to N1900 against the dollar.

When naira goes from N1900 to N1100, you tell us that price increase is due to war and other things that don't make sense.

We are also part of the problem!
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by Emeka71(m): 12:54pm On Apr 17
otokx:
Which volatility is he talking about when the naira is gaining evey day against the dollar?
So right. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by ONNYX: 8:04pm On Apr 17
Silentgroper:
Maybe we should start doing it the revenue boost way .. mix up the wheat flour with cassava flour make the Godforsaken bread ... That's if it can be used to make bread though

This has been tried before with some measure of success. The ratio of Wheat flour Vs cassava flour is the important variable here. It will take a lot to convince the generality of Nigerian consumers to switch to a hight content cassava flour bread.

Then again you need large investments in milling to process cassava flour that will produce the quantity required by our rather numerous bakeries.

Why not try to find out how many metric tonnes of wheat is brought into the country on a monthly and annual basis? You will be shocked.

You can't replace wheat with cassava in the short or medium term.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by ONNYX: 8:04pm On Apr 17
justmi1:
If you think bread is expensive, enter marker buy ingredients and bake your bread or eat something "cheap", saying this respectfully

Smart response.
Re: Why Prices Of Bread Are High – Bakers by ONNYX: 8:06pm On Apr 17
justmi1:

Smart response. Bakers are only putting together raw materials bought from the market. They don't produce wheat, sugar, margarine or even salt. Neither do they refine diesel or Gas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Easy Steps On How I Made Ewa Agoyin (Beans And Sauce) With Bread (Photos, Video) / Food Inflation In Nigeria / Tasty Simple Stew Without Meat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.