Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves (28015 Views)

Disquiet In CBN As Cardoso Retires ‘Emefiele’s Directors’ / Black Market Welcomes Cardoso With ₦960/$1, P2P Now ₦970/$1 / Naira Weakens At Forex Market As Foreign Reserves Drop To $43b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Profcso(m): 11:20pm On Apr 17
This shouldn't be, but we'll all see the outcome
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Emmabyte: 11:22pm On Apr 17
I don d suspect say this man forge his certificate
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by patrickcollins: 11:25pm On Apr 17
Hi
iichidodo:
I don't see the need of a hullabaloo on the size of our foreign reserve, especially if it's used in something as crucial as improving the intrinsic value of the currency used and transacted by millions of Nigerians. If 2Billion$ helps to push naira from 1900 to 1100, then say another 4Billion$ can help us get to at least 200 naira. Now if 1$ equals to 200# in 2024, you wouldn't fail to realize that cash and savings of millions Nigerians just got far more valuable . What's the need of a foreign reserve, if it cannot help to execute crucial macroeconomic function we just highlighted before....And las las, we have crude oil sales to replenish the reserve...
Then why float the naira and raise it to 1900, things become very expensive, then they started defending the naira again secretly

2 Likes

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by MemphitzDgreat1(m): 11:25pm On Apr 17
AqualinaXYZ:

You need your 32k stipends my dear

If them born you well say otherwise and kiss your 32k goodbye

Unity beggars

So na just 2k Tinubu add as increase to their monthly stipend??
No wonder Helinues dey use im alternate moniker dey beg anyhow
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Anonimoux: 11:26pm On Apr 17
iichidodo:
I don't see the need of a hullabaloo on the size of our foreign reserve, especially if it's used in something as crucial as improving the intrinsic value of the currency used and transacted by millions of Nigerians. If 2Billion$ helps to push naira from 1900 to 1100, then say another 4Billion$ can help us get to at least 200 naira. Now if 1$ equals to 200# in 2024, you wouldn't fail to realize that cash and savings of millions Nigerians just got far more valuable . What's the need of a foreign reserve, if it cannot help to execute crucial macroeconomic function we just highlighted before....And las las, we have crude oil sales to replenish the reserve...
And what is preventing Nigeria from using the reserves to become a more productive nation?
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by tollyboy5(m): 11:27pm On Apr 17
Yampotatocarrot:

Can you give me location for bag of rice at this rate, please?
One lady on Twitter us selling it. I will share her handle later.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Omalicious1: 11:27pm On Apr 17
nlfpmod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUF3Ule4j04?si=VfgDlxZPXcc2y3tI

Imran Muhammad

If we don't go into full time production and reduce our importation level, it's only a matter of time, the naira would fall again...
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by patrickcollins: 11:34pm On Apr 17
LARRYOBRAIN:
Thank you Cardoso
For doing nothing, just destroyed the economy by floating the naira after wrecking the economy he returned back defending Naira again, so what's the thanks for

2 Likes

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by NewDea4: 11:38pm On Apr 17
favor914:
Then I wonder what a nonentity will you say about yourself?

How I wish I could puncture that your flat yellow zombie breast and make your nonentity of a father weep

Smello
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by soccerlite: 11:54pm On Apr 17
Why is the cost of food still high?

Then open the border

Gari can't be n120 per cup, ko normal now
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by InvertedHammer: 12:11am On Apr 18
/
Switzerland, Japan and many countries tried it multiple times and failed woefully long-term.

Let's see how it plays out.

/

2 Likes

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Splashme: 12:11am On Apr 18
Toluabigr8:
Though I didn't support this govt from onset....but I kinda believe and have confidence in TINUBU administration now... Whatever Tinubu, wale and Cardoso are doing, they shouldn't stop...press that dollar neck no let ham breath

Your not getting it.

The question is, who sent them to float the Naira in the first place throwing Nigerians into misery?

Now, it backfired, causing hyperinflation ... and they are going back into doing the very things Emefiele was doing.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by iamdapsyj(m): 12:18am On Apr 18
LAXconfidential:
So basically, it's not your intention but you're doing it anyway. Then why float the naira? Why put us through all this suffering only to go back and be doing the same thing after things have become worst?

Is it that these guys don't think before making decisions? They removed subsidy and floated naira at the same time. Dollars shot upwards immediately and by the time they realised they had made a mistake and decided to go back to paying subsidy and supporting the Naira just as Buhari was doing, the dollar equivalent of the 400Billion Buhari was paying for fuel subsidy monthly has become over 900 Billion.

Now they're paying 600 Billion as subsidy. To get us back to the 200/lt we were paying before, they will have to pay the full 900 Billion plus. So tell me, why didn't these guys just continue with Buhari's style? They wanted to be different. Now see where it has landed us? Unprecedented suffering while subsidy is STILL being paid. Why then did we suffer? Why then did we have to go through all this hardship?

What's worse is that most Nigerians don't know the all what I've just said because the APC are masters of propaganda. They know that our achilles heel, our weakness, is tribalism. So they make you more worried about Peter Obi being a pretender, or Bobrisky going to jail for 6 months, and other frivolities, just to distract Nigerians from what is most important. Most people don't even know that they're SUFFERING FOR NOTHING! SUFFERING FOR ONE MANS FOOLISHNESS!!

Bola Tinubu, the least you can do is atleast own up to your mistakes and apologise to Nigerians. You owe us that much. A LOT of people have lost their jobs, companies have folded, people have committed suicide, marriages have ended, futures have been derailed and dreams shattered, all because you made a life altering decision out of the sheer euphoria of being sworn in as commander in chief. Baba, do the honourable thing and apologise to Nigerians. At least we can start the healing process from there.

With the way you wrote this plenty grammar, one would have thought that to listen to very simple English spoken by Cardoso will not be a challenge to you.....well maybe you didn't watch the video 🤣😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by iamdapsyj(m): 12:21am On Apr 18
charleymed:
It seems I don't understand English anymore.
What is he actually saying?

You actually don't because he spoke in clear terms 😆
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Luckysbab: 12:23am On Apr 18
AqualinaXYZ:

You need your 32k stipends my dear

If them born you well say otherwise and kiss your 32k goodbye

Unity beggars

So what exactly is your own pain? Perpetually pained Obidident.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by ElSudani: 12:47am On Apr 18
Alexlalax1:
Una go explain tire. Government of propaganda, for propaganda and by propaganda. Una go soon run the country down.....make una kwantinue. To the agbadorians below mentioning me, una go quote tire. No reply cuz me and anything deranged can't be in the same sentence. Una go soon cry blood.

Naira is gaining strength, money is coming into the reserve, obligations are being met and they are running the country down?
Why don't you guys ever make any sense?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by ambale(m): 12:57am On Apr 18
Everyone knew the government intervened in the foreign exchange crisis

But the extent is what we are not sure of

Those who were praising the government for floating the naira, na Dem gangan be the problem

This government needs to start acting seriously if they actually want to have a good footprint ooo

2 Likes

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by MichaelSokoto(m): 1:10am On Apr 18
NOETHNICITY:
This explanation is not for you. You are too dumb and too cursed to deserve any explanation.

The explanation is for those of us who believe in this government. We deserve to know what they are doing.
so wat are the APC thieves actually doing with our money?

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by cmikel: 1:49am On Apr 18
iichidodo:

By the time the reserves is depleted and there is no more to defend naira, the consequences on the naira value will be very severe.

We pray it never gets there bc if it does naira will crash yakata

There is no need for all the defence if you have an export driven economy which many has been saying.
Instead concentrating on improving manufacturing and export we are using the hard earned reserve to defend naira.

Therefore doing you have not created any value in your economy,no job , no industry no notin but you are just spending money to defend money

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by NinjaMetahuman: 2:25am On Apr 18
datola:
Hmmm. Oga Cardoso should be careful granting interviews on issues of exchange rate.

The saboteurs are waiting to capitalise on any loophole.
exactly

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Honlucas: 3:20am On Apr 18
AqualinaXYZ:
Cadoso abi wetin them dey call you

Your tactics isn’t different from that of a JSS 3 student
According to beer parlour economist like you right?

Robbing Peter to pay Paul

You and your Oga no get sense normally na una Agbado miscreants dey hype una before we know sa una no get sense

Una be Mumu
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by stepaside1: 4:05am On Apr 18
Cardoso was clear. $10k to about 1500 BDCs that has been done twice or thrice comes to about $50million or thereabouts. That is a very small amount in the context of what is alleged to be 'Naira defence'.

When the Naira was floated, lack of liquidity was the main reason why Naira depreciated. With a rash of CBN policies that returned confidence to the market, liquidity started to improve dramatically and on a willing buyer willing seller principle, the Naira started finding its true level which is what the 'price discovery' term means.

What i like most about the forex market today is the collapse of the huge arbitrage between the black market and CBN rates which in the past fueled a lot of the shenanigans that ruined the Naira. As Cardoso said, most of the reduction in reserves in present times was due to paying our obligations such as settling forward transactions, paying maturing foreign debt obligations etc. We must do that as it will be disastrous to default in paying our debts as countries like Ghana, Ethiopia and Egypt amongst others have done with grave consequences that attracted the dreaded IMF interventions.

In the coming weeks and months, i expect the foreign reserves to keep rising. Already as Cardoso said, $600mln has accrued into it in the past few days. Let us see where we are in the coming weeks and months. We are surely on the right path in my own opinion.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Apr 18
iichidodo:
∆ I don't see the need of a hullabaloo on the size of our foreign reserve, especially if it's used in something as crucial as improving the intrinsic value of the currency used and transacted by millions of Nigerians. If 2Billion$ helps to push naira from 1900 to 1100, then say another 4Billion$ can help us get to at least 200 naira. Now if 1$ equals to 200# in 2024, you wouldn't fail to realize that cash and savings of millions Nigerians just got far more valuable . What's the need of a foreign reserve, if it cannot help to execute crucial macroeconomic function we just highlighted before....And las las, we have crude oil sales to replenish the reserve...
$6 Billion flushed down the toilet all to prop up the Naira when that same amount, invested directly into boosting production, industry and infrastructure could do so much more wonders? shocked

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Image123(m): 4:22am On Apr 18
Omalicious1:

If we don't go into full time production and reduce our importation level, it's only a matter of time, the naira would fall again...

It won't fall like the so called speculators made it fall like the walls of Jericho. The naira is currently undervalued and needs to discover its real value. The CBN is doing a good job with the catalyst method. Genius.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Image123(m): 4:24am On Apr 18
Kobojunkie:
$6 Billion flushed down the toilet all to prop up the Naira when that same amount, invested directly into boosting production, industry and infrastructure could do so much more wonders? shocked

Where did you get this value from? You don bring your wuruwuru with Bible to Economics again abi.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Image123(m): 4:25am On Apr 18
InvertedHammer:
/
Switzerland, Japan and many countries tried it multiple times and failed woefully long-term.

Let's see how it plays out.

/

Tried what. Anyway, Tinubu is different.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by treatise: 4:32am On Apr 18
Alexlalax1:
Una go explain tire. Government of propaganda, for propaganda and by propaganda. Una go soon run the country down.....make una kwantinue. To the agbadorians below mentioning me, una go quote tire. No reply cuz me and anything deranged can't be in the same sentence. Una go soon cry blood.
On petroleum subsidy nko? Person wey dey watch football for TV go say the coach nor dey tactical enough but when he becomes a coach he go realize say nor be as him think. Tinubu criticised previous governments blindly but right now he's facing realities and outdoing previous leaders in SPENDING.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by essentialone(m): 4:57am On Apr 18
This is the Summary:

If naira is going to be N1,500, then let it be like that for at least 6 months. Do not let it be N1,500 today, N1,200 tomorrow, and so on. You can’t plan, and that’s why even as we speak today, we see that the naira is appreciating, it’s appreciating too fast. When you sit down and look at the analysis, people are concerned saying, "should I reduce my costing rate, to what the market is? But I’m scared, that if I reduce my costing rate, what is my replacement cost? Will it go back up?" That’s the reason why prices of things have not come down. Yes, the naira is appreciating, but people are not in a place of comfort to say, "Yes, it is sustainable". The only answer to that is Time. We have to wait it out for a few weeks or months. Is this sustainable over a long period? if it is, then you’ll see prices of goods and commodities coming down.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by robinicule(m): 5:07am On Apr 18
LAXconfidential:
So basically, it's not your intention but you're doing it anyway. Then why float the naira? Why put us through all this suffering only to go back and be doing the same thing after things have become worst?

Is it that these guys don't think before making decisions? They removed subsidy and floated naira at the same time. Dollars shot upwards immediately and by the time they realised they had made a mistake and decided to go back to paying subsidy and supporting the Naira just as Buhari was doing, the dollar equivalent of the 400Billion Buhari was paying for fuel subsidy monthly has become over 900 Billion.

Now they're paying 600 Billion as subsidy. To get us back to the 200/lt we were paying before, they will have to pay the full 900 Billion plus. So tell me, why didn't these guys just continue with Buhari's style? They wanted to be different. Now see where it has landed us? Unprecedented suffering while subsidy is STILL being paid. Why then did we suffer? Why then did we have to go through all this hardship?

What's worse is that most Nigerians don't know the all what I've just said because the APC are masters of propaganda. They know that our achilles heel, our weakness, is tribalism. So they make you more worried about Peter Obi being a pretender, or Bobrisky going to jail for 6 months, and other frivolities, just to distract Nigerians from what is most important. Most people don't even know that they're SUFFERING FOR NOTHING! SUFFERING FOR ONE MANS FOOLISHNESS!!

Bola Tinubu, the least you can do is atleast own up to your mistakes and apologise to Nigerians. You owe us that much. A LOT of people have lost their jobs, companies have folded, people have committed suicide, marriages have ended, futures have been derailed and dreams shattered, all because you made a life altering decision out of the sheer euphoria of being sworn in as commander in chief. Baba, do the honourable thing and apologise to Nigerians. At least we can start the healing process from there.
ode. Yall just have a way of making it look like the world hates igbo and the truth is no one really gives a Bleep about you guys, there are over 500 additional tribes in nigeria.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by erniok(m): 5:11am On Apr 18
dfrost:

There is ambiguity in such statements. What are the obligations to be met? Are Nigerians not entitled to know?
Africa Bloomberg mentioned then and I guess that's probably why he didn't explain further.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by cadetsunday(m): 5:11am On Apr 18
Cardoso ride on your message is for the wise men not illitrate
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by erniok(m): 5:12am On Apr 18
essentialone:
This is the Summary:

If naira is going to be N1,500, then let it be like that for at least 6 months. Do not let it be N1,500 today, N1,200 tomorrow, and so on. You can’t plan, and that’s why even as we speak today, we see that the naira is appreciating, it’s appreciating too fast. When you sit down and look at the analysis, people are concerned saying, "should I reduce my costing rate, to what the market is? But I’m scared, that if I reduce my costing rate, what is my replacement cost? Will it go back up?" That’s the reason why prices of things have not come down. Yes, the naira is appreciating, but people are not in a place of comfort to say, "Yes, it is sustainable". The only answer to that is Time. We have to wait it out for a few weeks or months. Is this sustainable over a long period? if it is, then you’ll see prices of goods and commodities coming down.
Your are on point.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

EFCC Raids Abuja Bureaux De Change Offices / Naira Rises Against Dollar / How Much Is Dollar To Naira Rate Today (black Market)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.