Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,053 members, 7,814,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves (28009 Views)

Disquiet In CBN As Cardoso Retires ‘Emefiele’s Directors’ / Black Market Welcomes Cardoso With ₦960/$1, P2P Now ₦970/$1 / Naira Weakens At Forex Market As Foreign Reserves Drop To $43b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Everlastingson: 8:37am On Apr 18
iamtoofan:

Some of you are just blindly ignorant as fvck, What is foreign reserve ? what is the essence of foreign reserve ?

What is the essence of foreign reserve if it does not defend the local currency,

A rising foreign reserve where Naira is losing value freely ... is synoymous to walking dead
At the rate naira was falling nig. economic was heading for a major crisis never seen before, GOvt/CBN intervention is crucial to mitigate the worse, in every country Govt intervention are lifeline options .. nothing wrong in it

Foreign reserve and local currency are our national team, one plays a role of defender and the later plays the role of striking

As much as Savings is good for our reserve, a valueless Naira renders it counterproductive

Stop lying. You can't deceive us. In all, you're still putting the cart before the horse. You left the real issues to address as a govt and are beating about the bush. You'll soon look for another diabolical lie to tell. Defending the Naira is now good but you're hounding Emefiele for doing same.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by NOwazobia: 8:45am On Apr 18
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by iamtoofan: 8:49am On Apr 18
BabbanBura:

Isn't this the status quo they met? At even better rates and costs? Why then make things worst and difficult and then revert to status quo?

On using proceeds of crude oil sales to bounce back, you don't really know what's going on, Nigeria isn't selling for cash but swabs for loan repayments and for refined products. We don't have much fx coming in from production but mainly from more loans, that is why people like us that are well informed are worried about Nigeria's economy.

Your worries are valid but these is quite different from any status quo you/we know

At no time in Nigeria as local currency make a rebound at such rate, pace, and time
At no time in Nigeria do we have parallel market selling below Cbn official rate
At no time in Nigeria do we have a regulated and monitored BDC operators

All these development were not seen under Emiefele neither did he make it a priority to clear backlogs as much as we have seen cardoso done.
If Foreign reserve is low and revenue is low then how is FG able to share bigger allocations to states, don"t tell me its loan
I agree junk of nigeria crude as being swap in advance but currently crude is selling high above benchmark

My major worries is the captivity of market forces in Nig, until we have a true market where forces of demand & supply fully operate we might keep going forth and back
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Snowx: 9:34am On Apr 18
LAXconfidential:
So basically, it's not your intention but you're doing it anyway. Then why float the naira? Why put us through all this suffering only to go back and be doing the same thing after things have become worst?

Is it that these guys don't think before making decisions? They removed subsidy and floated naira at the same time. Dollars shot upwards immediately and by the time they realised they had made a mistake and decided to go back to paying subsidy and supporting the Naira just as Buhari was doing, the dollar equivalent of the 400Billion Buhari was paying for fuel subsidy monthly has become over 900 Billion.

Now they're paying 600 Billion as subsidy. To get us back to the 200/lt we were paying before, they will have to pay the full 900 Billion plus. So tell me, why didn't these guys just continue with Buhari's style? They wanted to be different. Now see where it has landed us? Unprecedented suffering while subsidy is STILL being paid. Why then did we suffer? Why then did we have to go through all this hardship?

What's worse is that most Nigerians don't know the all what I've just said because the APC are masters of propaganda. They know that our achilles heel, our weakness, is tribalism. So they make you more worried about Peter Obi being a pretender, or Bobrisky going to jail for 6 months, and other frivolities, just to distract Nigerians from what is most important. Most people don't even know that they're SUFFERING FOR NOTHING! SUFFERING FOR ONE MANS FOOLISHNESS!!

Bola Tinubu, the least you can do is atleast own up to your mistakes and apologise to Nigerians. You owe us that much. A LOT of people have lost their jobs, companies have folded, people have committed suicide, marriages have ended, futures have been derailed and dreams shattered, all because you made a life altering decision out of the sheer euphoria of being sworn in as commander in chief. Baba, do the honourable thing and apologise to Nigerians. At least we can start the healing process from there.

Even apology is not enough..he should proceed it with reversing fuel to its original price.
Is only the tribal bigots will see your opinion as been biased
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by NothingDoMe: 9:42am On Apr 18
iichidodo:
I don't see the need of a hullabaloo on the size of our foreign reserve, especially if it's used in something as crucial as improving the intrinsic value of the currency used and transacted by millions of Nigerians. If 2Billion$ helps to push naira from 1900 to 1100, then say another 4Billion$ can help us get to at least 200 naira. Now if 1$ equals to 200# in 2024, you wouldn't fail to realize that cash and savings of millions Nigerians just got far more valuable . What's the need of a foreign reserve, if it cannot help to execute crucial macroeconomic function we just highlighted before....And las las, we have crude oil sales to replenish the reserve...
The problem is that they should not have stopped defending the naira in the first place by claiming it was better to float it. This has caused untold hardship.

The day crude oil, on which we all depend, runs out, there will be a crisis in this country.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by favor914: 9:47am On Apr 18
NothingDoMe:
The problem is that they should not have stopped defending the naira in the first place by claiming it was better to float it. This has caused untold hardship.

The day crude oil, on which we all depend, runs out, there will be a crisis in this country.
The irony is that crude oil will not run out in your life time, and mind you, you are yapping nonsense.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by favor914: 9:54am On Apr 18
Snowx:

Even apology is not enough..he should proceed it with reversing fuel to its original price.
Is only the tribal bigots will see your opinion as been biased
Joker Man, please go back to sleep, then the next time, wake up on the other side of your mat.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by ebenholer2(m): 10:07am On Apr 18
AqualinaXYZ:
Cadoso abi wetin them dey call you

Your tactics isn’t different from that of a JSS 3 student

Robbing Peter to pay Paul

You and your Oga no get sense normally na una Agbado miscreants dey hype una before we know sa una no get sense

Una be Mumu
👆Here out the wailers and their myopic perspectives out of bigoted mindset.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by IfnobeGod20: 10:38am On Apr 18
iamtoofan:

Some of you are just blindly ignorant as fvck, What is foreign reserve ? what is the essence of foreign reserve ?

What is the essence of foreign reserve if it does not defend the local currency,

A rising foreign reserve where Naira is losing value freely ... is synoymous to walking dead
At the rate naira was falling nig. economic was heading for a major crisis never seen before, GOvt/CBN intervention is crucial to mitigate the worse, in every country Govt intervention are lifeline options .. nothing wrong in it

Foreign reserve and local currency are our national team, one plays a role of defender and the later plays the role of striking

As much as Savings is good for our reserve, a valueless Naira renders it counterproductive
This is the problem of many of you that are supporters and hailers of government. Since you don't even know the value of foreign reserve, how would you thinking normal. At least if you don't even know it, why can't you just Google it and ask the importance of having foreign reserve as a country.
Remember the same people are the one moving from one country to another seeking for investors to come and invest in the country, the same them depleting what will give the wooed investors confidence to come to the country and invest.
I am cog sure you don't love the country the way I love it. The only difference between us is that I see wrong and say and when I see good about the country I appreciate it. No reasonable government deplete her reserve and still be looking for investors at the same time. Defend the naira with all your reserve, when the reserve is gone, you go to square one and the naira depreciate again.
What we suppose to do first, we will not do it but looking for what is not lost. Every sound country with sound economy go into heavy production and export to strengthen their currency but Nigeria economists use our reserve to strengthen naira. This is what has been causing naira somersault for long. Emefiele did it and failed, now Cardoso is doing same. What do you expect? Failure because it cannot last.
Reason don't be a blind support without sense. The good and prosperity of this country is my joy and every reasonable persons in this country and not the hailers that doesn't think beyond politics and my people in government. Reason!
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by NothingDoMe: 10:39am On Apr 18
favor914:
The irony is that crude oil will not run out in your life time, and mind you, you are yapping nonsense.
Lol. This is coming from someone who has never even seen crude before. Typical.

Do you know how many wells have their reservoir pressure depleted and are being supported to flow normally?

Kindly stick to your normal meaningless group political banters and don't venture into things you don't understand.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by iamtoofan: 10:41am On Apr 18
Everlastingson:

Stop lying. You can't deceive us. In all, you're still putting the cart before the horse. You left the real issues to address as a govt and are beating about the bush. You'll soon look for another diabolical lie to tell. Defending the Naira is now good but you're hounding Emefiele for doing same.

I can't make sense of anything you say, why not point out the lies

You want us to have an untouched foreign reserve even if naira fall to 5000k

Emiefele defend naira by printing more local currency & borrowing ..
Emiefele never cared about clearing backslog and rebuilding investors confidence
Emiefele did not regulate or monitor BDC operators
Emiefele never achieved a parrellel market lower than official rate

Those saying Cardoso is back to statuo quo needs there head examined
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by dfrost: 11:07am On Apr 18
Like I said, until we are transparent, we can't move forward. We need full disclosure on these things. Don't feed us half truths. Go all out.

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Everlastingson: 11:34am On Apr 18
iamtoofan:

Emiefele never cared about clearing backslog and rebuilding investors confidence

Akuko n'egwu Mike Ejeagha.
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by BabbanBura(m): 12:24pm On Apr 18
iamtoofan:

Your worries are valid but these is quite different from any status quo you/we know

At no time in Nigeria as local currency make a rebound at such rate, pace, and time
At no time in Nigeria do we have parallel market selling below Cbn official rate
At no time in Nigeria do we have a regulated and monitored BDC operators

All these development were not seen under Emiefele neither did he make it a priority to clear backlogs as much as we have seen cardoso done.
If Foreign reserve is low and revenue is low then how is FG able to share bigger allocations to states, don"t tell me its loan
I agree junk of nigeria crude as being swap in advance but currently crude is selling high above benchmark

My major worries is the captivity of market forces in Nig, until we have a true market where forces of demand & supply fully operate we might keep going forth and back

Again, excellent exposition within the bounds of the information available to you. Do not put your mind on crude revenues to turn things around in this country because of the 40% government owned crude what comes to the purse is nothing to write home about.

All this magic you see the CBN doing is from depletion of the reserves and borrowing with some infact of panic sales from lily livered criminals who stocked the fx to preserve the value of their wealth. Another thing helping the rebound, credit to CBN, is righting up the nose on leakages from CBN through the banks, the BDCs and the thieving politicians. All these are not a permanent solution but temporary one. The permanent solutions is aiding productions / manufacturing (to earn fx and reduce fx spend) and reducing or eliminate imports - tell me what the current government is doing on this permanent longtwrm solutions?

Once we deplete the reserves fully and take all the available loans and spend them on fx rate stabilisation, with no one to loan us more money, then the naira will return to its free fall and nothing can hold it back.

What will give me comfort is to see this government declaring a state of emergency (action not the formality) on production and manufacturing starting with the biggest commodities that consume our fx or that dab yield us alot of fx. Things like feeding ourselves and exporting excess, curbing crude oil bunkering, arresting illegal mining and enforcing a value creation framework, arresting brain drain by creating enabling ground for talents to develop and be a solution to our domestic issues, enforce rule of law to drive accountable and transparency etc - is there any indication of these currently by this government? Does their body language tilt towards this at all?

I am worried my brother, I am concerned about my naija, my country!
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by frog12: 12:47pm On Apr 18
this man's management is far better than emefiele wey dey make noise left and right.

this is what a central bank should do smiley
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by frog12: 12:48pm On Apr 18
they even call the man patch-patch CV. this man is correcting many of the wrongs.

iamtoofan:

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by commoditiesnig: 2:07pm On Apr 18
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by commoditiesnig: 2:09pm On Apr 18
iichidodo:
I don't see the need of a hullabaloo on the size of our foreign reserve, especially if it's used in something as crucial as improving the intrinsic value of the currency used and transacted by millions of Nigerians. If 2Billion$ helps to push naira from 1900 to 1100, then say another 4Billion$ can help us get to at least 200 naira. Now if 1$ equals to 200# in 2024, you wouldn't fail to realize that cash and savings of millions Nigerians just got far more valuable . What's the need of a foreign reserve, if it cannot help to execute crucial macroeconomic function we just highlighted before....And las las, we have crude oil sales to replenish the reserve...
Gbam! Well said
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by iamtoofan: 3:31pm On Apr 18
BabbanBura:

Again, excellent exposition within the bounds of the information available to you. Do not put your mind on crude revenues to turn things around in this country because of the 40% government owned crude what comes to the purse is nothing to write home about.

All this magic you see the CBN doing is from depletion of the reserves and borrowing with some infact of panic sales from lily livered criminals who stocked the fx to preserve the value of their wealth. Another thing helping the rebound, credit to CBN, is righting up the nose on leakages from CBN through the banks, the BDCs and the thieving politicians. All these are not a permanent solution but temporary one. The permanent solutions is aiding productions / manufacturing (to earn fx and reduce fx spend) and reducing or eliminate imports - tell me what the current government is doing on this permanent longtwrm solutions?

Once we deplete the reserves fully and take all the available loans and spend them on fx rate stabilisation, with no one to loan us more money, then the naira will return to its free fall and nothing can hold it back.

What will give me comfort is to see this government declaring a state of emergency (action not the formality) on production and manufacturing starting with the biggest commodities that consume our fx or that dab yield us alot of fx. Things like feeding ourselves and exporting excess, curbing crude oil bunkering, arresting illegal mining and enforcing a value creation framework, arresting brain drain by creating enabling ground for talents to develop and be a solution to our domestic issues, enforce rule of law to drive accountable and transparency etc - is there any indication of these currently by this government? Does their body language tilt towards this at all?

I am worried my brother, I am concerned about my naija, my country!

With the nature of Nigeria/govt and its people i rather place my mind on nothing, however i want to be open minded as events unfold.
with the refineries on sight, a big expenditure relief is coming on the budget and most especially the Naira cos junk of our revenue goes into subsidy.

Lets be reasonable, check how much the CBN as dispense to BDC operators and compare with how much CBN as expended on settling backlogs ... even an illiterate will know what depleted the reserve mainly is settling debts

For a country trying to lure investors, cardoso move to settle backlog is a viable solution ... whats the essence of a cumulative reserve and naira is as valueless as zimbabwe dollar
Those elite arguing against using reserve to save the economic are just being unreasonable ... if you are about to die and your asset can save you, will you rather die because you don't want people to see you carless or homeless

Cardoso understands whatever he is doing as to be a temporary measure, he knows refineries are coming up shortly .. but before that happens cbn must mitigate any economic crisis, imagine life at $1/2000

Declaring state of emergency won't command "magic" .. gearing up local production and export can't happen asap, we don't have suvh time the economic needs first aid when stabilize a bit we can visit long term measures.

We ask govt to bring dollar down, they are ! don't get why some elites are raising dust
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by princedukee(m): 3:48pm On Apr 18
kinda believe and have confidence in TINUBU administration now... Whatever Tinubu, wale and Cardoso are doing, they shouldn't stop...press that dollar neck no let ham breath
Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by Onyedikachi231: 5:38pm On Apr 18
iichidodo:

You know add Nigeria to the AI wey help you type this and see if you fit copy and paste am like this.

1 Like

Re: It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves by merits(m): 7:42pm On Apr 18
AqualinaXYZ:
Cadoso abi wetin them dey call you

Your tactics isn’t different from that of a JSS 3 student Has your generation including you and your forefathers had ever reach the milestone of Cardoso and BAT?

Robbing Peter to pay Paul

You and your Oga no get sense normally na una Agbado miscreants dey hype una before we know sa una no get sense

Una be Mumu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can I Recover My Money From A Lady? / USA Now World’s Biggest Crude Oil Producer / Naira Rises Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.