Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,412 members, 7,815,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building (10563 Views)

My Terrible Experience In A Church Today / Six Different Churches In One Building (Picture) / Is It Wrong To Worship In One Church And Pay Tithe In Another Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by PHIPEX(m): 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2011
My discovery today made me surprised beyond measure. I was at Okota/Ago junction (in Lagos) when I heard the usual moslems' call to prayer. Surprisingly, the sound was coming from a 2 storey building housing a shop on the ground floor, a mosque on the first floor and a popular Penticostal church on the 2nd floor. I believe this sort of Peaceful coexistence is highly commendable especially in a country like ours.

Does this show then that the constant religious riots in the north is more of political than Religious?
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Jakumo(m): 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2011
Jihadists and Crusaders
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard
Oh Lord, why can't we
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:28pm On Nov 18, 2011
They must be yoruba muslims - wink
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Nov 18, 2011
Yorubas are very tolerant cos in a family you can have both religions
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 18, 2011
Oh yes, my Yoruba brothers  grin

In fact when I attended UI , Muslims and Christians were not only close but shared and did things together.

More of a cultural thing, and remember many of them ( Yorubas ) are not serious with the Arab brand of ISLAM. I know , cos they are my friends, grin

Also not a few Hausa muslims ( middle class ) , when they come to the South , they just throw their religion 'under the bus '. cheesy
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Johndoe100(m): 6:51pm On Nov 18, 2011
PHIPEX:

My discovery today made me surprised beyond measure. I was at Okota/Ago junction (in Lagos) when I heard the usual moslems' call to prayer. Surprisingly, the sound was coming from a 2 storey building housing a shop on the ground floor, a mosque on the first floor and a popular Penticostal church on the 2nd floor. I believe this sort of Peaceful coexistence is highly commendable especially in a country like ours.

Does this show then that the constant religious riots in the north is more of political than Religious?

They may be fundamentalists. Both Muslim and Christian fundamentalists get along great cos they understand themselves.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2011
I was thinking you saw it in Bauchi, Sokoto or Maiduguri.
Its not strange nor is it news in Yorubaland where a father is a muslim the son and maybe even the wife a christian and everybody relate very well! I even heard Fashola, who is a muslim is having a christian wife and they both sleep on the same bed! My friend, Yorubaland is not Hausaland.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by olawalebabs(m): 8:29pm On Nov 18, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

they must be yoruba christain.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by NegroNtns(m): 8:46pm On Nov 18, 2011
This is not unusual actually. The problem of co-location and co-habitation is with people, not with the structures. In a case where this co-location is found in Lagos, it speaks volume of the mindset of Yoruba Muslims and Christians and should not be a surprise. It will be a surprise if this was discovered in the North.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by tpia5: 9:18pm On Nov 18, 2011
Accommodation is tight in lagos so you have to take wherever is available.  Cant be nitpicky.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Afam4eva(m): 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2011
What's wrong in two businesses being in one location?
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by ektbear: 12:07am On Nov 19, 2011
afam4eva:

What's wrong in two businesses being in one location?

lol
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by PHIPEX(m): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

I doubt if they are more of Yorubas than Hausas cos it's located right inside an Hausa community who are trading in currencies -Black market.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Skii(m): 2:38pm On Nov 19, 2011
Only in Lagos!!
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by member479760: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2011
when a yorubaman wake up in the morning, he call Olodu-omoare before Jesu or Allah.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by shumno(f): 3:22pm On Nov 19, 2011
It is a land where chrislamhab is practicecd not surprising.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Duke007(m): 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2011
Kini big deal?Religion intolerance is a product of an illitrate and uneducated mind.Right there in Jerusalem,xtian,moslem and zionist all pray in d same ground/synagogue at different times wit out any infraction.In Nigeria,the great Saraki of ilorin wife is a good xtian while Saraki remains a muslim,the same applies to the curent governor of kwara state whose wife ,i.e the 1st lady is a xtian.So u can see that all d infraction is more of politics
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by sebastinta(m): 3:52pm On Nov 19, 2011
nakedall:

when a yorubaman wake up in the morning, he call Olodu-omoare before Jesu or Allah.

your point ?
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by babaowo: 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2011
its  business in lagos, no personal emotion.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by eghost247(m): 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2011
great
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by http(m): 4:05pm On Nov 19, 2011
Am a muslim, i married a xtian, so as my parent, both religion is known to me from childhood, so nothing do you, my son can adopt any gbos in the 2 religion as long as he is not an athiest.

same goes to my cousins, we are yorubas before anything else, they are my family before anything else and i love them so much.

Religion is not the only requisite to make heaven, your conducts with others will be the most important criterial.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Sweetnecta: 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2011
[Quote]« #4 on: Yesterday at 06:27:35 PM »

Oh yes, my Yoruba brothers  Grin

In fact when I attended UI , Muslims and Christians were not only close but shared and did things together.

More of a cultural thing, and remember many of them ( Yorubas ) are not serious with the Arab brand of ISLAM. I know , cos they are my friends,  Grin

Also not a few Hausa muslims ( middle class ) , when they come to the South , they just throw their religion 'under the bus '.    Cheesy[/Quote]His UI stint is enough to qualify him as pundit on yoruba muslim affairs, because he befriends a handful of yoruba muslims. Its like me saying the many igbo men and women i know who are chrsitians and don't pour out libation, are true igbo christian representation. Are igbos who pour libation, etc are not true christians?

Maybe we should ask the one they say is their god. What did Jesus say about libation? Is there any reason to take these people as fake Christians? Was Jesus even a christian?

When the educated christians go up north, what do they do with their libation allowed christianity?

@Frosbel; please apply the same logic to the christians, above. Give me your explanation.

While Islam is a middle course, extremism of not worshiping and doing good work, because of liberality is unacceptable.
The same condition applies to the extremism of not taking in what is good in this world, as to therefore shown yourself out, not accommodating others.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by itiswell1(m): 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2011
I saw it first at shangisha. Thesame compound.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by LagosBoi2(m): 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2011
Everybody with him own customer. Lagos is a business district don't forget tongue grin
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by passionate88: 4:30pm On Nov 19, 2011
Duke007:

Kini big deal?Religion intolerance is a product of an illitrate and uneducated mind.Right there in Jerusalem,xtian,moslem and zionist all pray in d same ground/synagogue at different times wit out any infraction.In Nigeria,the great Saraki of ilorin wife is a good xtian while Saraki remains a muslim,the same applies to the curent governor of kwara state whose wife ,i.e the 1st lady is a xtian.So u can see that all d infraction is more of politics

Do u mean to say that Bukola's mom is a christian?.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by AfroBlue(m): 5:11pm On Nov 19, 2011
Early history

Migration to Abyssinia(Ethiopia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_to_Abyssinia

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%E1%B9%A3%E1%B8%A5ama_ibn_Abjar[/url]
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by lepasharon(f): 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2011
frosbel:

Oh yes, my Yoruba brothers  grin

More of a cultural thing, and remember many of them ( Yorubas ) are not serious with the Arab brand of ISLAM. I know , cos they are my friends, grin

Also not a few Hausa muslims ( middle class ) , when they come to the South , they just throw their religion 'under the bus '. cheesy

True,no wonder they say Yorubas are not real muslims,they dont wear hijab,some of them even go to church sef!
they beleive in the divinity of Jesus.
Yoruba muslims are big Joke
Which is why arabs dnt respect blaacks as muslims

1 Like

Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by tpia5: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2011
its business in lagos, no personal emotion.

Lagos is a business district don't forget

true that.

must the landlord not eat because there are different religions?
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by tpia5: 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2011
they dont wear hijab

some yoruba muslims do wear hijab. Many of them as a matter of fact.

but they have no problem with syrian muslims?
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by redsun(m): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2011
Both are foreign and destructive entities in africa,africans don't need them.They both sowed the seeds of illusions in africans and led them totally off course of fundamental reality.

And that is why so many africans beg.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by redsun(m): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2011
Be Rasters.Blackman is a Rasterman.Rasterfarianism's is the state of blackman's divinity,a state of his connection to mother earth a state of his being.
Re: Incredible Harmony: A Church And A Mosque In One Building by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2011
lepasharon:

True,no wonder they say Yorubas are not real muslims,they dont wear hijab,some of them even go to church sef!
they beleive in the divinity of Jesus.

BECAUSE THEY AINT INSANE LIKE THEM OR STUPID LIKE THEM DOES NOT MAKE THEM LESS MUSLIMS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / See What Dunamis Pastor Dr Paul Enenche Said Would Happen In 2015 / Dear Christians, Doesn't The Front Page Prove The Atheists Point?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.