Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira (22760 Views)

Exchange Rate: Why Prices Of Goods Will Remain High, Despite Naira Appreciation / Why Oil Prices Are Crashing And What It Means / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by mosho2good: 4:25pm On Apr 18
We are the one doing ourselves in this country and the country cannot move forward with the mindset if people living in this country, imagine someone I want to buy Oil from big yellow keg after she bought a full trailer of new market tells me she can't sell now till further notice after buying a full truck if new market, she want the price to rise again before selling imagine.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by lexy2014: 4:26pm On Apr 18
KingKO22:

You will cry tire šŸ˜‚

BTW, hope you guys are keeping your dollar as advised by your online first lady Aishat Yesuf?

Before your eyes go clear you done enter red šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

tell us your experience buying daily supplies or are you still a dependent?

2 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by CrossRhodes: 4:27pm On Apr 18
alanto:
If someone mention una tribe now. Una go run to mod. Your propaganda will fall to shame. I have spent over 100k on food this month. I pray it wont be like that next month. If you guys desperately want to buy things that costly. Inflate your prices in the East.
Keep on wailing like a mor.on, bozo.

What a pathetic bigot you are..
Is it easterners that are producing rice and beans and yams?
I thought you said the east na dry land? Or is the north no longer the sole producer of food in nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by STEWpid(f): 4:28pm On Apr 18
Chai..

Econogenital mutilation.

...and the crowd insist, "this economy will kuku sha favour me and my family".

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by zinaunreal(m): 4:30pm On Apr 18
Them think say na by flooding market with dollar. No go tackle the root problem

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by easzypeaszy(m): 4:33pm On Apr 18
seanfer:
We the Nigerian Citizens are more wicked than our leaders
my friend bought somtin for 12,500 and want to sell it for 30000
I actually bought a bag of rice Last month for 60k from my friend cuz he bought it 58k
But he sells to others 75k
Dis Nigeira ppl get as he be..

2 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by cunny88(m): 4:33pm On Apr 18
saintopus:
Federal Government and States and Local Government should immediately set up consumer market where goods could be sold for a cheap price over a period of time.
For now I don't think price of goods would ever come down because the nature of the black man is defined by high level of greed and wickedness.
Lagos state did this
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by Tonytonex(m): 4:40pm On Apr 18
It's greed and wickedness
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by Rybnyk(m): 4:44pm On Apr 18
seanfer:

And who increased import duty on some important components that Nigeria imports? As the value of the dollar is dropping,why has the import duties not been updated accordingly? Citizens aren't the only people to blame here. The govt increased import duty, increased electricity tariffs,what do they expect? It will have an effect on pricing too. If a producer pays more to import raw materials for production and he also pays high rates for electricity, he will increase his prices to make profit or try and recoup some of his production costs. And if people are dubiously increasing prices despite not being affected by any dollar fluctuations,the govt has agencies that regulate such unwholesome practices. Are they performing their functions? Let's not just give the govt a pass because the Naira is gaining in value,they have to also enact some policies to help manufacturers and business people. On the issue of electricity which directly affects the cost of many things to a great extent, people are watching. If the power minister doesn't keep to his words,then the govt is the cause of our problems and not citizens. If the grid keeps on collapsing(I pray it doesn't,then people shouldn't be blamed for venting their frustrations. These interventions and revamps are supposed to help resolve the long term issues that led to the subsidy removals. People need t see workings to have hope...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by enambobo(m): 4:44pm On Apr 18
And I read somewhere that Russia - Ukraine war is also to be blamed. This country na joke šŸ¤£

2 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by Kenmatt(m): 4:45pm On Apr 18
I have one just answer to this.

Nigerians are wicked and are ever ready to unleash wickedness to their fellow.

Nigerian business men, trader, bother petty and mega business owner are "Shylock" business men.

In my area, an old woman that is selling Okra would want to buy Land, "them go tell you say na the same Potacut way all of us dey".
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by seanfer(m): 4:48pm On Apr 18
easzypeaszy:
my friend bought somtin for 12,500 and want to sell it for 30000
I actually bought a bag of rice Last month for 60k from my friend cuz he bought it 58k
But he sells to others 75k
Dis Nigeira ppl get as he be..

And they're the first that will blame the Government...
I went to a village for a party and a female friend bought a basket of mango at the rate of 4pcs 200 naira... I was shocked on our way back she was telling her customers that she will be selling it 3pcs for 500 naira...

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ivandragon: 4:52pm On Apr 18
How come no one is talking about the present fuel scarcity?
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by sprints1: 4:52pm On Apr 18
Patrol price and diesel are at 700 and 1100 respectively and you expect food prices to go down... With restrictions on imports as well among other issues like lack of electricity and man power shortages... Cost of importation is also high... Forget even dollar is #300 price will still be high this is just simple economics

5 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by sprints1: 4:53pm On Apr 18
ivandragon:
How come no one is talking about the present fuel scarcity?
how many people can afford fuel is it affordable #700 no be small money
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by seanfer(m): 4:53pm On Apr 18
Rybnyk:

And who increased import duty on some important components that Nigeria imports? As the value of the dollar is dropping,why has the import duties not been updated accordingly? Citizens aren't the only people to blame here. The govt increased import duty, increased electricity tariffs,what do they expect? It will have an effect on pricing too. If a producer pays more to import raw materials for production and he also pays high rates for electricity, he will increase his prices to make profit or try and recoup some of his production costs. And if people are dubiously increasing prices despite not being affected by any dollar fluctuations,the govt has agencies that regulate such unwholesome practices. Are they performing their functions? Let's not just give the govt a pass because the Naira is gaining in value,they have to also enact some policies to help manufacturers and business people. On the issue of electricity which directly affects the cost of many things to a great extent, people are watching. If the power minister doesn't keep to his words,then the govt is the cause of our problems and not citizens. If the grid keeps on collapsing(I pray it doesn't,then people shouldn't be blamed for venting their frustrations. These interventions and revamps are supposed to help resolve the long term issues that led to the subsidy removals. People need t see workings to have hope...

Garri is produced with Dollars abi?

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by anungangampu: 4:56pm On Apr 18
It's called lack of transparency. People are already hoarding their goods because they don't believe in this Abracadabra government.

What is pushing thing up isn't scarcity or anything but lack of trust.

I still assume dollar is 1400. Sell your goods at the rate of 1100 and see your stock finished when the prices start going up.

By the way, people bought good at the rate of 1800 per dollar, how do you want them to recover?

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by NovusHomo(m): 4:56pm On Apr 18
Artscollection:
Those idiots shouting up and down forgot that fuel is the main driver here after the dollar of which the dollar is not even at the rate those ragtag oluwale certificate holders met it not to talk of the pump price that is 300% from it's old price. All agbado muchers munchers should brazen brace up for the next 8yrs.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by sprints1: 4:56pm On Apr 18
seanfer:

myopic people so u expect person produce garri to lower cost because dollar came down. You want him to lower consumer prices when its own purchasing power is high... Abi u don't know basic commodities also depend on foreign materials... Person wey dey do cassava no be merchanized farming e dey use...
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ufotunang: 5:00pm On Apr 18
seanfer:
..the appreciation of the naira against the dollars alone cannot reduce the price of foodstuffs and goods..... until the price of fuel and disel reduces and come down then the price of foodstuffs and goods will reduce and come down..it's the high costs of transportating this foodstuffs and goods to the market that is making the price of foodstuffs and goods to be expensive

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by Father4all: 5:00pm On Apr 18
Garri, beans, Nigeria local rice, indomie
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ufotunang: 5:01pm On Apr 18
It's until the price of fuel and disel reduces and come down that is when the price of foodstuffs and goods will reduce and come down..it's the high costs of transportating this foodstuffs and goods to the market that is making the food stuffs and goods to be expensive... simple
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by YourKarma: 5:01pm On Apr 18
CodeTemplar:
Regarding the food and agriculture part, I can only think of dwindling harvest as the major source of price increase. Every other factors are just excuses from greedy distros.

You guys shove your heads into the sand like ostriches. Have you wondered why herdsmen are targeting the areas mostly known for farming and food production?
Tell your government to fix this issue of herdsmen terrorists, fix fuel issue and watch prices come down

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ufotunang: 5:04pm On Apr 18
saintopus:
Federal Government and States and Local Government should immediately set up consumer market where goods could be sold for a cheap price over a period of time.
For now I don't think price of goods would ever come down because the nature of the black man is defined by high level of greed and wickedness.
.it's until the price of fuel and disel reduces and come down that is when the price of foodstuffs and goods will reduce and come down..it's the high costs of transportating this foodstuffs and goods to the market that makes the foodstuffs and goods to be expensive

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by YourKarma: 5:05pm On Apr 18
alanto:
If someone mention una tribe now. Una go run to mod. Your propaganda will fall to shame. I have spent over 100k on food this month. I pray it wont be like that next month. If you guys desperately want to buy things that costly. Inflate your prices in the East.

You be fool. Complete and abject fool. It's the only the easterners who sell food items, abi?

Stay there and be looking for who to blame. Don't tell your useless government to solve this issue of terrorist herdsmen who have been killing farmers and preventing the farmers from going to their farms.

Don't tell your government to solve the high cost of fuel which has translated to increased transportation.

Na why your government will keep raping y'all front and back

1 Like

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ozo13(m): 5:06pm On Apr 18
socialmediaman:
You canā€™t build a country in this modern age without transparency.

This government is failing big time on transparency!
in what sense sir.i will likely to learn or is naira not appreciating even if CBN is using dollars to fight the naira.whatbis obvious is that naira appreciated and we expect to see appreciation of price of goods in the country.In all honesty what do you think is the reason.Me I don't think it has to do with government transparency
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by NovusHomo(m): 5:10pm On Apr 18
seanfer:

Well, the gari producer buys from the market, those others thing that she cannot produce. Those things are mostly imported and paid for in $s. The solution is Less imports and more production.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by kutashi: 5:14pm On Apr 18
You supposed to receive the highest 'likes' but due to 'coconut head syndrome', most will not even read not talk of comprehension!

I only disagree on the part of Buhari!
Buhari is not on any level with this dindirin that is bereft of any sound idea with his yeye economic team!

Saturnalia:
What kinda stupid excuse and explanations are these?

It shows that your head is simply not correct.

You were contesting for a Presidential Election, you kept shouting: ā€œSubsidy Must Goā€ and ā€œNaira Must Be Floatedā€.

Your common sense did not tell you that some mechanisms needed to be put in place first to check & cushion the effects of your ā€œTrial & Errorā€ Policies on the masses.

You came with your ā€œOVERSABIā€ and dabaru everything you met on ground. Now, youā€™re hiring ā€œPR Consultantsā€ to help launder your stupid economic policies and explain to the masses in futility - why the law of Demand & Supply is not working in Nigeria.

The SUBSIDY that you did gra-gra to remove , now youā€™re back to paying more than double of it, to the tune of 600Billion Naira per Month.

The NAIRA that you did gra-gra to remove, now youā€™re back to defending it with our limited & scarce FOREX.

As nepotistic, fanatical & ill-educated as BUHARI was, he was just too brilliant to foresee the future and avoid dragging the Country into the quagmire that weā€™re currently in.

This is why I keep telling people that education is not everything. If youā€™re educated and you donā€™t cultivate your common sense, your education is a waste.

In spite of Tinubuā€™s certification from the University of Chicago or any other phantom University that he was said to have attended, would any sane mind rate his Government above that of Buhari? Never!

You came with your gri-gri & gra-gra to scatter everything that the beaten & battered citizens were manageably enduring, and now, you keep churning out stupid & nonsensical statistics that doesnā€™t correlate with the reality on ground, to deceive the masses.

Even your fellow stupid & shallow-minded political jobbers like Nasir El-Rufai and Sanusi Lamido Sanusi that were busy granting stupid interviews during the Buhariā€™s administration - chanting ā€œSUBSIDY MUST GOā€ and ā€œNAIRA MUST BE FLOATEDā€ ; theyā€™re nowhere to be found to defend their stupid assumptions.

You want to remove Subsidy, all the Refineries are not working. You want to float the Naira, yet our economy is import-dependent.

Have you not proven to everybody now that your coconut head is not correct?

Nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by mauchiz: 5:19pm On Apr 18
seanfer:

Exactly, they are so wicked.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by MartinsD12(m): 5:25pm On Apr 18
Racoon:
https://dailytrust.com/nigeria-daily-why-prices-are-still-on-the-rise-despite-appreciation-of-the-naira/

NECA worries over rising prices despite naira appreciationā€” NECA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/news/article/neca-worries-over-rising-prices-despite-naira-appreciation-neca/%3famp=1
Those market people are very wicked they keep adding money on prices of food items even when dollar is coming down government should provide a task force immediately to compel this wicked market sellers to bring down their prices immediately imagine garri oooo going up a cup last week was 150 naira now this week is 200 naira why are they adding money is it not to punish the masses , government should provide task force immediately this market people are wicked adding more hardship to the masses
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by tctrills: 5:32pm On Apr 18
seanfer:
You are blaming the wrong people. The Nigerian traders are one of the fairest in terms of price. Please visit other African countries.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by tctrills: 5:34pm On Apr 18
KingKO22:

You will cry tire šŸ˜‚

BTW, hope you guys are keeping your dollar as advised by your online first lady Aishat Yesuf?

Before your eyes go clear you done enter red šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Oga be honest. Who you rather have your savings in Naira or in dollars?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why The EFCC Is Hounding Allen Onyeama, Air Peace CEO - Leaders.ng / Femi Otedola To Buy The Upstream Of Forte Oil Plc / Massive Job Cut Looms As Dollar Hits ā‚¦590, FOREX Scarcity Bites Harder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.