Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira (22781 Views)

Exchange Rate: Why Prices Of Goods Will Remain High, Despite Naira Appreciation / Why Oil Prices Are Crashing And What It Means / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by ebila(m): 10:57am On Apr 19
Its natural for people to be wondering why the appreciation of the naira isn't affecting price of goods. The reason is simple, MARKET UNCERTAINTY. For those monitoring the market, you'd see that naira will appreciate for a couple of days and then dollar will in turn appreciate. This uncertainty is the reason business people don't even bother to reduce their prices. Their thinking is this; what happens if I reduce my prices and the dollar increases to the extent that I run at a loss?

Another thing is the fact that Nigerians are wicked people. A lot of business people have goods that were bought when the dollar was at a certain rate, but they're selling same goods at the current high rate of dollar. Don't get me wrong, they should certainly add 'something' because they're in business to make profit, but inflating the price so much is just wickedness. The fact that we don't have reliable bodies to checkmate these things give them the confidence to price their goods as they see fit.

The crazy thing, however, is that whatever price you increase on your goods, you'll invariably pay somewhere else, except you're a producer of everything.
Re: Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira by blueAgent(m): 9:29am On Apr 21
seanfer:

Garri is produced with Dollars abi?

Is diesel not used in the processing and transportation of the cassava and garri?
Typical APC Zombie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Massive Job Cut Looms As Dollar Hits ₦590, FOREX Scarcity Bites Harder / 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge / Allen Onyema: MEND Backs US Prosecution Of Air Peace Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.