Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? (20938 Views)

Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan. / See The Current Price Of Day Old Turkeys. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stagger: 7:25pm On Apr 28
Natbrowny:

Even local is high bro. And u'll need two to get the meat size of 1 broiler.

Noilers n kuroilers and duals are expensive as f*ck

The suya guys usually use locals for chicken suya, not broilers.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by AMI3(m): 7:26pm On Apr 28
But why don't u go for Noiler.
Must it be broiler.
This economy is not smiling at all. I don't know if our president really understand what is happening in the country
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Natbrowny: 7:32pm On Apr 28
stagger:

The suya guys usually use locals for chicken suya, not broilers.

Try buying 3k suya and see what they'll cut.

Naija is cursed.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Emmabyte: 7:34pm On Apr 28
But why is feed this expensive can't we produce that shit here in Nigeria, even chicken no fit feed well for this Tinubu government
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by blackmantis: 7:35pm On Apr 28
No wonder Chicken Republic are having issues.

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Badmashiii: 7:38pm On Apr 28
Nazgul:
I remembered those days full chicken barbecue used to be 4k.

Point and kill (full cat fish pepper soup) N700.

Stazenbaru (hope I spelt it correctly) beer used to be N100.

If you cannot afford 4k for full chicken barbecue, just buy full catfish N700 and 3 bottles of stazenbaru bringing the total to 1k, and you go de alright.

Tinubu is really making relaxation impossible for the common man. I bought 1kilo of chicken last Sunday for N5,500. It was just one full lap and another small meat they cut to add so that the weight would reach 1kilo. I was just shaking my head.

Things you could just buy those days without breaking a sweat have become luxuries under Tinubu. Yet people are still defending him.

Bro even hitler and idi amin have their own crew of devoted supporters,who come be tinubu?

The fact is now matter how good or bad a nation is faring the leader will always have his cronies and critics.

Don't be surprised those guys are getting some "goodies" as a result of their loyalty or hoping to get it in the future.

But tinubu mess up nigeria really bad. If he can make buhari look like a saint,then you should have an idea of the magnitude of the damage.

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by sexyyoyo(m): 7:40pm On Apr 28
epainos:

The demand can not be higher now because the cost of feed is high. Nope. The demand actually dropped because many farmers japa. However, the demand is higher than supply. It is a different thing for dd to be higher than ss, and dd now lower than before. The few farmers still producing cannot get enough chicks. Sellers have downsized, too. That feed issue made producers pack up.

The price of imported chicken is reducing cos dollar has reduced. It was sold for N4,500 per kg around my neighbourhood but has come down to N4,200.

So, it is low production. How many hatcheries are operating now. Go verify it. Most of them are out of business presently.

How can demand for broilers be high now when feed cost is extremely high? That feed cost drove hatcheries out of business. And how many farmers can afford to buy feed now? The demand for local has not gone over any rood sir. Still what it is. And people still buy more imported frozen chicken.

How many farmers are still operating on NL?

Thanks for this . Despite all the Challenges we farmers go through buyers of six weeks from us even tend to cheat buying at a lesser rate of 1950 per kg . How does that help the farmer to break even with high cost of Feeds, cost of DOC , Vaccination, just to mention but a few .nothing stops buyer from purchasing from farmers at 3500 per kilo life weight going by the cost of production and there should be a total ban on importation of frozen chicken and the likes

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:50pm On Apr 28
epainos:
Looks like poverty in Nigeria is hitting hard. Apart from this person who replied to me here, no one seems interested.

Is not poverty
It's laziness
Ppl are only interested in Tonto dike and sextapes
Not economics

Anyway, I have decided to buy a carton parent chicks for now. So, I will have to make preparation for managing about 200 to 300 new chicks every week. I don't want to go this route, but it is the only option I think is available now. Paying above 400naira for broiler day old is crazy... not to talk of paying N950 and which might enter N1500 or N2000. Bola Tinubu has opened the border for poultry meat to enter Naija, so I am sure a greater percentage of the market share for local producers will reduce. Where is the gain if I have to buy N20k+ feed per bag, medications, and then pay above N1k for day old. There is no profit on it. So, I am going via this route.

The next request is that if you know how to do artificial insemination and you have enough experience, kindly reach out to me. I know even you that don't know about it will want to say you can do it. I will know if you are a wayo person. So, if you are sure of yourself, get in touch. Also, if you have experience with just managing parent stocks (not AI), get in touch with me too. I am open to even getting more parent stocks ...meaning, I can enter the hatchery business gradually at my pace. Please, I don't need you to buy me anything cos I can source for myself. So, keep off selling to me anything. I will discard you immediately. If you have suggestions, give me...I will look into it. If I need you to get it, I will ask you. So, anyone contacting me should remove his or her mind from making money from me crazily. I don't need you to approach me and start writing a N50 million incubator with another generator of N30million. I will just throw you away like a shitty paper. So. Get his straight. I want to start small...and grow at my pace. So, buzz off if your mission is to come import for me equipment. I can do that. Don't even go there. Your skill on parent breeders is what I need. That's all. You need an equipment, you tell me. Leave me to get my stuff. Don't interfere.

If you have experience with AI management of parents' stocks or with the natural mating of birds, kindly get in touch with me.

God bless!
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Everlastingson: 7:51pm On Apr 28
Emmabyte:
But why is feed this expensive can't we produce that shit here in Nigeria, even chicken no fit feed well for this Tinubu government

Most feeds are manufacturered in Nigeria but some additives are imported. Maize, Soya beans are all too expensive. Plus diesel cost, etc. Tinubu is a monumental failure.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Everlastingson: 7:54pm On Apr 28
RealLordZeus:
The Agrited brand was gotten last week was 955 per chicken

The matter don pass head

It was #1100/ bird here last week.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by malali: 7:54pm On Apr 28
ANY EXPERIENCED INTERESTED FARMER WITH RECORDS AND REFERENCES.

I WANT TO OPEN THE LARGEST FARM EVER IN NIGERIA.

I WILL PAY YOU WITH EQUITY AND FUNDS.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Emmabyte: 7:58pm On Apr 28
Ok I see, cost of producing them are high . Is not easy at all
Everlastingson:

Most feeds are manufacturered in Nigeria but some additives are imported. Maize, Soya beans are all too expensive. Plus diesel cost, etc. Tinubu is a monumental failure.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by strenghtt: 8:00pm On Apr 28
Imagine you hatching you local and broiler hen eggs yourself using an automated kerosene LANTERN incubator that doesn’t use electricity.

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by chiokeman(m): 8:00pm On Apr 28
Meaning that, a year old chicken should be,
No of days -365
Cost price - 1,000
feeding (a plate 750x2) 1,500
Therefore, 365x1000x1500= -----
Whatever answer u get is the selling price.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Love800(m): 8:01pm On Apr 28
Is hatcheries different from rearing birds?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Zonefree(m): 8:08pm On Apr 28
epainos:

The demand can not be higher now because the cost of feed is high. Nope. The demand actually dropped because many farmers japa. However, the demand is higher than supply. It is a different thing for dd to be higher than ss, and dd now lower than before. The few farmers still producing cannot get enough chicks. Sellers have downsized, too. That feed issue made producers pack up.

The price of imported chicken is reducing cos dollar has reduced. It was sold for N4,500 per kg around my neighbourhood but has come down to N4,200.

So, it is low production. How many hatcheries are operating now. Go verify it. Most of them are out of business presently.

How can demand for broilers be high now when feed cost is extremely high? That feed cost drove hatcheries out of business. And how many farmers can afford to buy feed now? The demand for local has not gone over any rood sir. Still what it is. And people still buy more imported frozen chicken.

Two of the farmers I do buy manure for my plantation are already out of business. Their reason; high cost of feed.

I now source for manure at a very far place with higher amount.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by yemmit90: 8:17pm On Apr 28
epainos:

You might be right because alot of small scale farmers has left the business. The production capacity of farmers in Nigeria has dropped by almost 50% due to the high cost of production, particularly feed.

Though demand could partly be responsible for that but the current surge in price of DOC might be due to low production by the hatcheries. This is only way they can control the price, and it is very easy for them to achieve because they are very few in numbers.

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by obinna58(m): 8:17pm On Apr 28
I left because of price of maize

Actually I tried to use cassava but it’s not working

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by obinna58(m): 8:24pm On Apr 28
malali:
ANY EXPERIENCED INTERESTED FARMER WITH RECORDS AND REFERENCES.

I WANT TO OPEN THE LARGEST FARM EVER IN NIGERIA.

I WILL PAY YOU WITH EQUITY AND FUNDS.
Poultry is not the answer at this moment except you have your maize farming land
Outlets which chicken will be distributed to(it must be yours)
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Pepperdemisback: 8:25pm On Apr 28
[b] Do your local incubator in your house.
Steps to follow.
1 Put sand in a transparent plastic, like this one people use to hawk assorted snacks.
2. Fix a rechargeable lantern on the lid, it will produce heat to the eggs. U can use kerosene lantern
Put a small hole on the lid for temperature regulator. Set between 32-37.
3. Number the eggs on 3 sides with a small charcoal or marker. You will turn the eggs 3 times per day.
4. Set the eggs in the plastic, moist the sand a bit everyday. Plug the rechargeable lantern cos the light must be always on. Set your voltage regulator to any number between 32 and 37. Turn eggs 3 times per day for 21_22 days. On the 12th night, do Egg candling in the darkness. This is the useage of phone torch to light the eggs. Cover bucket with blankets every night for deep heat.
Finish.
If you buy a crate of eggs for about N4k, u get a chick for about N130.
You can experiment this with 6 eggs only and check it out.
You might watch video on YouTube for better understanding.
Best of luck! [/b]
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by CodeTemplar: 8:31pm On Apr 28
The rate of inflation is such that people may soon stop celebrating birthdays and start celebrating increase in stature and impressive toilet visits.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Munzy14(m): 8:34pm On Apr 28
Nazgul:
I remembered those days full chicken barbecue used to be 4k.

Point and kill (full cat fish pepper soup) N700.

Stazenbaru (hope I spelt it correctly) beer used to be N100.

If you cannot afford 4k for full chicken barbecue, just buy full catfish N700 and 3 bottles of stazenbaru bringing the total to 1k, and you go de alright.

Tinubu is really making relaxation impossible for the common man. I bought 1kilo of chicken last Sunday for N5,500. It was just one full lap and another small meat they cut to add so that the weight would reach 1kilo. I was just shaking my head.

Things you could just buy those days without breaking a sweat have become luxuries under Tinubu. Yet people are still defending him.
It is the Satzenbrau beer that drew me to your post.

That small bottled beer was a banger for lowkey employment back then.. As far back as 2014.

Buhari scattered this country..God will judge him.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by PrincessofDSS(f): 8:44pm On Apr 28
epainos:
Looks like poverty in Nigeria is hitting hard. Apart from this person who replied to me here, no one seems interested.

Anyway, I have decided to buy a carton parent chicks for now. So, I will have to make preparation for managing about 200 to 300 new chicks every week. I don't want to go this route, but it is the only option I think is available now. Paying above 400naira for broiler day old is crazy... not to talk of paying N950 and which might enter N1500 or N2000. Bola Tinubu has opened the border for poultry meat to enter Naija, so I am sure a greater percentage of the market share for local producers will reduce. Where is the gain if I have to buy N20k+ feed per bag, medications, and then pay above N1k for day old. There is no profit on it. So, I am going via this route.

The next request is that if you know how to do artificial insemination and you have enough experience, kindly reach out to me. I know even you that don't know about it will want to say you can do it. I will know if you are a wayo person. So, if you are sure of yourself, get in touch. Also, if you have experience with just managing parent stocks (not AI), get in touch with me too. I am open to even getting more parent stocks ...meaning, I can enter the hatchery business gradually at my pace. Please, I don't need you to buy me anything cos I can source for myself. So, keep off selling to me anything. I will discard you immediately. If you have suggestions, give me...I will look into it. If I need you to get it, I will ask you. So, anyone contacting me should remove his or her mind from making money from me crazily. I don't need you to approach me and start writing a N50 million incubator with another generator of N30million. I will just throw you away like a shitty paper. So. Get his straight. I want to start small...and grow at my pace. So, buzz off if your mission is to come import for me equipment. I can do that. Don't even go there. Your skill on parent breeders is what I need. That's all. You need an equipment, you tell me. Leave me to get my stuff. Don't interfere.

If you have experience with AI management of parents' stocks or with the natural mating of birds, kindly get in touch with me.

God bless!

😂😂😂

You’re not serious then, after blocking all the loopholes that they will chop from
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by NoToPile: 8:45pm On Apr 28
We buy just few chicks of cockrels from those who resell for backyard farming to kill and gift peeps at Christmas year in year out, this year price was an all time high. Was able to get around 2 weeks + old in February at 700-750, I was still lamenting it was more than double the price of last year asked few weeks back it was already 1k, sure the retailers will sell more than that now. Some weeks back the guy said 4week old turkey was 10k each.

Feed is also costing so high.

I wonder how those who are into the poultry business are coping. If those of us with backyard chicken are complaining.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by jumper524(m): 8:47pm On Apr 28
forget chicken and go for rabbits.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Redomi(m): 8:49pm On Apr 28
I have few noilers that are laying daily, do I have bought two local fowl to help me hatch their eggs, I'll have more than enough noiler this year

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by jumper524(m): 8:49pm On Apr 28
NoToPile:
We buy just few chicks of cockrels from those who resell for backyard farming to kill and gift peeps at Christmas year in year out, this year price was an all time high. Was able to get around 2 weeks + old in February at 700-750, I was still lamenting it was more than double the price of last year asked few weeks back it was already 1k, sure the retailers will sell more than that now. Some weeks back the guy said 4week old turkey was 10k each.

Feed is also costing so high.

I wonder how those who are into the poultry business are coping. If those of us with backyard chicken are complaining.
the turkey price is funny.
something that's not healthier than chicken meat wise or even commercially cos nobody would buy at that price when chicken sells lesser.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by seborrhic: 8:50pm On Apr 28
Badmashiii:

But tinubu mess up nigeria really bad.If he can make buhari look like a saint,then you should have an idea of the magnitude of the damage.

Immediately Buhari left power I crowned him the 'worst president Nigeria WILL EVER HAVE" because I didn't imagine in my wildest dreams that there would ever be a president worse than him as far as the name Nigeria is concerned.To me Buhari was a nightmare so I reasoned there can't be anything worse than a nightmare,right?
But Tinubu has made the disaster that was Buhari look like a class act!

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 8:55pm On Apr 28
stagger:
I stopped stocking broilers last year after the Sayed breeds I got seriously underperformed in weight despite the rising cost of feed.

I was not prepared to start battling the crazy heat and other issues like feed nearing 20k a bag, yet some people will be pricing N2,600 and N2,700 per kg. Not worth it.

I have decided to go the route of Fulani local birds. I had some a short while ago. Prolific egg-layers they are too. Only that my dogs usually wait until they are large enough and then start eating them.
Ross 308 is good. Really, I'm not sure how Sayed's Ross 308 is inferior to Agrited's. I was tempted to buy Sayed one time, but I saw a youtube video where both hatcheries were compared from days 1 to 42, and Agrited won hands down. So, the management of Agrited seems to outperform that of Sayed.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Redomi(m): 8:57pm On Apr 28
Pepperdemisback:
[b] Do your local incubator in your house.
Steps to follow.
1 Put sand in a transparent plastic, like this one people use to hawk assorted snacks.
2. Fix a rechargeable lantern on the lid, it will produce heat to the eggs. U can use kerosene lantern
Put a small hole on the lid for temperature regulator. Set between 32-37.
3. Number the eggs on 3 sides with a small charcoal or marker. You will turn the eggs 3 times per day.
4. Set the eggs in the plastic, moist the sand a bit everyday. Plug the rechargeable lantern cos the light must be always on. Set your voltage regulator to any number between 32 and 37. Turn eggs 3 times per day for 21_22 days. On the 12th night, do Egg candling in the darkness. This is the useage of phone torch to light the eggs. Cover bucket with blankets every night for deep heat.
Finish.
If you buy a crate of eggs for about N4k, u get a chick for about N130.
You can experiment this with 6 eggs only and check it out.
You might watch video on YouTube for better understanding.
Best of luck! [/b]

please I need the link to the video
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by NoToPile: 8:57pm On Apr 28
jumper524:
the turkey price is funny.
something that's not healthier than chicken meat wise or even commercially cos nobody would buy at that price when chicken sells lesser.

Live turkey has always been expensive so it will sell I think. Last year Dec not fully mature ones were sold for around 50k. I believe there's a market for it and it's sweet sha.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 8:59pm On Apr 28
yemmit90:

You might be right because alot of small scale farmers has left the business. The production capacity of farmers in Nigeria has dropped by almost 50% due to the high cost of production, particularly feed.

Though demand could partly be responsible for that but the current surge in price of DOC might be due to low production by the hatcheries. This is only way they can control the price, and it is very easy for them to achieve because they are very few in numbers.
Yes, you are right. Overall, production has dropped, but the few farmers still buying have more demands than the leftover hatcheries. Well, since the borders have been opened for imported poultry products, it is a matter of time....the whole business will soon collapse. So, I am getting ready for such a day, and it is why I am starting my personal hatchery. I

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must You Live In The City? Why Village Life Is Better!! / Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm / Made In Nigeria Frozen Chicken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.