Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,133 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? (20931 Views)

Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan. / See The Current Price Of Day Old Turkeys. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by quinox947: 7:40am On Apr 29
jeromestarks:
Very soon, people will start eating pigeons.
LOL!
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 7:45am On Apr 29
malali:

I recognized a fellow hustler, i have similar background, but in different continents and with a lot more $$$......Not to boast oooohhh. But dont let the spirit die. Too much education actually isnt good for a lot of people, unless you are getting paid for it.

Who wan get certs without making money with it? Lol If I see anything interesting that will make money, I try to go for formal education to back it up formally is my style. I do a lot of self-study, but I always try to add certifications... sure...it must be something that gives reward. And I didn't tell you that I got all mine from Naija oooo. Didn't even talk about that. I only said my agric experience was well grounded in Naija's style when I started. And it doesn't mean I farm only here in Naija..

Ok...so, what have you decided to do? Based on our discussion here, how do you want to proceed?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 7:50am On Apr 29
jeromestarks:
Very soon, people will start eating pigeons.

quinox947:
LOL!

I hope you read everything in this thread cos people are offering solutions while you both are being discouraged.

People make money during booming economies and recessive periods. The choice is yours. No matter how bad it is, people will still produce these food items.

You also can tap into the wealth of solutions in this thread and feed yourselves instead of being discouraged. If you buy some noilers or even local fowls, you may actually enjoy poultry meat and eggs. You can do it also. You don't need to always produce to sell... but to feed yourself too.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by caye(m): 7:54am On Apr 29
stagger:
I stopped stocking broilers last year after the Sayed breeds I got seriously underperformed in weight despite the rising cost of feed.

I was not prepared to start battling the crazy heat and other issues like feed nearing 20k a bag, yet some people will be pricing N2,600 and N2,700 per kg. Not worth it.

I have decided to go the route of Fulani local birds. I had some a short while ago. Prolific egg-layers they are too. Only that my dogs usually wait until they are large enough and then start eating them.

Bros, flog those dogs betta flogging!
They cannot come and be bringing gbese on their owner. Abi, when you process them, dem no go chop the intestine nii?

Ungrateful dogs.

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by jeromestarks: 7:55am On Apr 29
epainos:

I hope you read everything in this thread cos people are offering solutions while you both are being discouraged.

People make money during booming economies and recessive periods. The choice is yours. No matter how bad it is, people will still produce these food items.

You also can tap into the wealth of solutions in this thread and feed yourselves instead of being discouraged. If you buy some noilers or even local fowls, you may actually enjoy poultry meat and eggs. You can do it also. You don't need to always produce to sell... but to feed yourself too.
Who is this one?
Or wait. The better question is, what is this one?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by malali: 7:56am On Apr 29
epainos:

Who wan get certs without making money with it? Lol If I see anything interesting that will make money, I try to go for formal education to back it up formally is my style. I do a lot of self-study, but I always try to add certifications... sure...it must be something that gives reward. And I didn't tell you that I got all mine from Naija oooo. Didn't even talk about that. I only said my agric experience was well grounded in Naija's style when I started. And it doesn't mean I farm only here in Naija..

Ok...so, what have you decided to do? Based on our discussion here, how do you want to proceed?

Still brainstorming, FGN Bonds pay alot of money for now. No hassles involved.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by quinox947: 8:21am On Apr 29
epainos:

I'm a poultry farmer. My laugh is to ease the tension and stress of breeding birds. My last set of broilers were sold during Easter. I sold them cheap because the experience of the xmas spillover drained my profit and a portion of my capital. I agree with you that many are benefiting but very many have been suffocated out of biz. I have invested in cassava farming. Bye to ultima. Top & chikun.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by quinox947: 8:27am On Apr 29
AMI3:
But why don't u go for Noiler.
Must it be broiler.
This economy is not smiling at all. I don't know if our president really understand what is happening in the country
Is it cheaper to breed noiler?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by yemmit90: 9:52am On Apr 29
epainos:

Lol. You aren't getting it. Maybe I think more forward than most people. Many hatcheries will close down more when imported frozen chickens flood the market. Most of these farmers still buying day-old chicks at above N1,000 are still enjoying Buhari's ban. By the time Tinubu's unabanning these products start showing them pepper, over 90% of them buying now will stop. So, who will produce chicks for me that time? Yes, there will still be, but adulterated products flooding the market is a possibility. I need to guard against this. Plus, no matter how you see it, removing the cost of buying day-old chicks is smart. Only that most people cannot get it right. But I will.

Also, why do you think I can't have a cheap setup? Must I run a commercial hatchery for my scale? So, don't jump into conclusion of what you really don't understand.

This paragraph is based on your level of marketing and sales experience. There are various ways of doing it better than this. Of course, you have not covered the market well. The only grace is NOT selling live chicken. No. You are wrong here.

Now, I like this. And if you can think out of the box, you will realise that there are still channels that can open up even when imported frozen chickens flood the market. Only those who can think out of the box will make it during this time...and they will make it big.

You don't seem to understand my post sir, let me break it down for you.

If market is already saturated with cheap imported chicken, there is no way you will break even with the high cost of feed, drugs and other materials. Besides, feed amount to over 75% of total cost, so tell me how will you break the market when you produce only 20% of total cost of production? Remember you will still feed this patient stock and pay hatchery fees as well, so this bring you down to only 10% of total production cost. And contrary to your opinion, major hatcheries in Zatech, CHI, Agrited, Amo, Sayeed, Tuns, farm support, Finance, etc, can never shut down, and they contributes about 90% of DOC supply in Nigeria. If you want to get a parent stock, just sell your DOC weekly and rear only when the price is poor, that is the only way you can enjoy the business because DOC only contribute 20% of total cost of production.

Finally, can you mention other channel you can sell your mature broilers?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by yemmit90: 10:17am On Apr 29
My assessment as someone in the game;

1. Chicken is very scarce now due to high cost of production, which already cut off about 50% of farmers and quantity in the market.

2. Demands for chicken is still very low but still enough for few quantity in circulation. alot of people can't afford it, but due to the fact that only few farmers are still in the business, the price is moderately ok.

3. Opening or closing of border doesn't hindered supply of frozen food, the major problem is exchange rate of cefa to naira. Except dollar come down to around #700, local poultry farmers will still have competitive advantage in the market.

4. If the price of feed is not come down, and dollar drop hard below 1k after opening of border, majority of local poultry will shut down.

5. The few that are left in the business are making good profits now than before.

Additionally, alot of Farmers are just giving excuses of high cost of feed and materials as a major reason they shut down, the real reason is that, they have used the business capital to survive Tinubu economy grin grin. Is it a family that is looking for money to feed that will use about 20k to buy a bag of feed? Dey play cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stanvesco(m): 10:29am On Apr 29
epainos:
Looks like poverty in Nigeria is hitting hard. Apart from this person who replied to me here, no one seems interested.

Anyway, I have decided to buy a carton parent chicks for now. So, I will have to make preparation for managing about 200 to 300 new chicks every week. I don't want to go this route, but it is the only option I think is available now. Paying above 400naira for broiler day old is crazy... not to talk of paying N950 and which might enter N1500 or N2000. Bola Tinubu has opened the border for poultry meat to enter Naija, so I am sure a greater percentage of the market share for local producers will reduce. Where is the gain if I have to buy N20k+ feed per bag, medications, and then pay above N1k for day old. There is no profit on it. So, I am going via this route.

The next request is that if you know how to do artificial insemination and you have enough experience, kindly reach out to me. I know even you that don't know about it will want to say you can do it. I will know if you are a wayo person. So, if you are sure of yourself, get in touch. Also, if you have experience with just managing parent stocks (not AI), get in touch with me too. I am open to even getting more parent stocks ...meaning, I can enter the hatchery business gradually at my pace. Please, I don't need you to buy me anything cos I can source for myself. So, keep off selling to me anything. I will discard you immediately. If you have suggestions, give me...I will look into it. If I need you to get it, I will ask you. So, anyone contacting me should remove his or her mind from making money from me crazily. I don't need you to approach me and start writing a N50 million incubator with another generator of N30million. I will just throw you away like a shitty paper. So. Get his straight. I want to start small...and grow at my pace. So, buzz off if your mission is to come import for me equipment. I can do that. Don't even go there. Your skill on parent breeders is what I need. That's all. You need an equipment, you tell me. Leave me to get my stuff. Don't interfere.

If you have experience with AI management of parents' stocks or with the natural mating of birds, kindly get in touch with me.

God bless!

Bro lets rubb minds on WhatsApp na.
I have conceived this idea so so much
091 250 60 953
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by AMI3(m): 10:39am On Apr 29
quinox947:
Is it cheaper to breed noiler?
Sure they are very strong.
U can have the egg an the chick.

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stagger: 12:23pm On Apr 29
yemmit90:

1. Chicken is very scarce now due to high cost of production, which already cut off about 50% of farmers and quantity in the market.

2. Demands for chicken is still very low but still enough for few quantity in circulation. alot of people can't afford it, but due to the fact that only few farmers are still in the business, the price is moderately ok.

3. Opening or closing of border doesn't hindered supply of frozen food, the major problem is exchange rate of cefa to naira. Except dollar come down to around #700, local poultry farmers will still have competitive advantage in the market.

4. If the price of feed is not come down, and dollar drop hard below 1k after opening of border, majority of local poultry will shut down.

5. The few that are left in the business are making good profits now than before.

Additionally, alot of Farmers are just giving excuses of high cost of feed and materials as a major reason they shut down, the real reason is that, they have used the business capital to survive Tinubu economy grin grin. Is it a family that is looking for money to feed that will use about 20k to buy a bag of feed? Dey play cheesy

The right question to have asked is whether a family that is looking for money to feed will prefer to buy chicken or substitute with fish, bush rat meat, or other protein sources?

As a broiler farmer, there is a limit to which you can set prices or you price yourself out of the market. Consumers have choices.

So instead of buying a bag of feed for 20k, the farmer will opt to use his money elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 12:24pm On Apr 29
stanvesco:

Bro lets rubb minds on WhatsApp na.
I have conceived this idea so so much
091 250 60 953
Bro, let's roll everything here. If you have ideas...kindly share them here. I have shared everything I want to share here. Please, kindly add more if you have...I am.not a fan of private chat when I can network well with my posts here. Others can benefit from this, too.

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 12:40pm On Apr 29
yemmit90:

You don't seem to understand my post sir, let me break it down for you.

If market is already saturated with cheap imported chicken, there is no way you will break even with the high cost of feed, drugs and other materials. Besides, feed amount to over 75% of total cost, so tell me how will you break the market when you produce only 20% of total cost of production?
That 20% is part of it. The challenge with you is that you don't see droplets of water as a possibility of forming a mighty ocean. Lol. This is why everyone looks at this issue the same way in Nigeria.

Remember you will still feed this patient stock and pay hatchery fees as well, so this bring you down to only 10% of total production cost.
Despite the cost of feed here, the possibility of selling DOCs is still there at a very small scale. So, instead of 10%, I may shoot it to 40%. Droplets of water form a mighty ocean. All I gat to do is talk to one of the marketers and supply at a good price. That's it. I won't pay for DOCs, and I make extra profit. Who doesn't want to make more money. Just a little production. That's all.

And contrary to your opinion, major hatcheries in Zatech, CHI, Agrited, Amo, Sayeed, Tuns, farm support, Finance, etc, can never shut down, and they contributes about 90% of DOC supply in Nigeria.
This is the reason I can sell extra DOCs. Lol.

If you want to get a parent stock, just sell your DOC weekly and rear only when the price is poor, that is the only way you can enjoy the business because DOC only contribute 20% of total cost of production.
The way you command things confidently is funny. Lol.. smiley You are using a tiny microscope to view the whole paparazzi. You have not yet fully explored all areas. When you realise that over 30 million people live in Lagos alone, then you know there will always be a market for it. Shikena. All you have to do is sit down and think.

Finally, can you mention other channel you can sell your mature broilers?
I have mentioned the principle of retailing as my newest strategy. This is the only way you can make it in this economy. Go and check...you can only make it as a supplier if you produce massively so you can cut down drastically the cost of production like dangote. But supplying as a small scale is not worth it. Just struggle to move into retailing to maximize profit.

What you are thinking of is live chicken sales... and frozen chicken. Are these the only horizontal lines of production in poultry for over 300 million people? Think very well. Move down the lane of production.

Like I said....I am not doing supply. Supplying in this economy is not worth it. Selling to direct customers is the way out. So, think... how can you sell your products directly to consumers? Retail them. And what is the capacity you can sell? This will determine how to go about it. Snacks, fast food, additions to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, etc.

If you have to move into cooked food, why not?

Those buying frozen chicken, what are they doing? Research the ones you can do and start. You may need to downsize the production of meat on your farm. And at the end of the day, you will make more money.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 1:19pm On Apr 29
yemmit90:

stagger:

The right question to have asked is whether a family that is looking for money to feed will prefer to buy chicken or substitute with fish, bush rat meat, or other protein sources?

As a broiler farmer, there is a limit to which you can set prices or you price yourself out of the market. Consumers have choices.

So instead of buying a bag of feed for 20k, the farmer will opt to use his money elsewhere.

I smile many times when I read comments like this. In a nation of over 300 million people. Lol

When you understand the market dynamics of an emerging market that is facing recession, you will know what to do. Like I explained above, supplying is out of it. What exactly are those buying imported frozen chicken doing? Research everything well. If you are ready to add another level below what you are producing, you will see more opportunities.

Just like my brother is trying to discourage me from moving to a higher level than commercial broilers - hatching...the same way I don't you guys will really want to go below this level.
If you are willing to move up and down the value chain level of poultry production you are operating presently, you will see tons of opportunities.

Production is not the main profit... rather it is marketing and sales. Move into what sells. People buy poultry products massively in Nigeria. Those things poor and pako pikin dey chop..produce them. That's how tongo about it.

The issue is that the wahala of producing meat and eggs is too much, so many want to stop there. Instead, downsize that and move up and down your level to find a good niche for yourself.

People may not be able to buy live chicken of N10k to N15k, but I see many pako pikin buying legs around. Is that not part of what you produce? I see pako pikin eat eggs. Yes, they eat eggs anyhow. Is it not part of the value chain? All you have to do is sit down and restrategize.

You are looking at the picture of a whole family. Do Nigerian homes look like they feed together? How many homes feed together in Nigeria? Lol. Families that eat together in Nigeria are less than 20% of the total population. Lol. Those who understand the market will rather target the remaining 80%. I laughed when I read your comments. You have limited yourself seriously by targeting families that feed together. Go to Isale Eko, Ajegunle, Ajah, and many places in Lagos..mmif you see up to 1% of families that feed together, you are a good explorer. grin
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by yemmit90: 1:24pm On Apr 29
epainos:

That 20% is part of it. The challenge with you is that you don't see droplets of water as a possibility of forming a mighty ocean. Lol. This is why everyone looks at this issue the same way in Nigeria.

Despite the cost of feed here, the possibility of selling DOCs is still there at a very small scale. So, instead of 10%, I may shoot it to 40%. Droplets of water form a mighty ocean. All I gat to do is talk to one of the marketers and supply at a good price. That's it. I won't pay for DOCs, and I make extra profit. Who doesn't want to make more money. Just a little production. That's all.

This is the reason I can sell extra DOCs. Lol.

The way you command things confidently is funny. Lol.. smiley You are using a tiny microscope to view the whole paparazzi. You have not yet fully explored all areas. When you realise that over 30 million people live in Lagos alone, then you know there will always be a market for it. Shikena. All you have to do is sit down and think.

I have mentioned the principle of retailing as my newest strategy. This is the only way you can make it in this economy. Go and check...you can only make it as a supplier if you produce massively so you can cut down drastically the cost of production like dangote. But supplying as a small scale is not worth it. Just struggle to move into retailing to maximize profit.

What you are thinking of is live chicken sales... and frozen chicken. Are these the only horizontal lines of production in poultry for over 300 million people? Think very well. Move down the lane of production.

Like I said....I am not doing supply. Supplying in this economy is not worth it. Selling to direct customers is the way out. So, think... how can you sell your products directly to consumers? Retail them. And what is the capacity you can sell? This will determine how to go about it. Snacks, fast food, additions to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, etc.

If you have to move into cooked food, why not?

Those buying frozen chicken, what are they doing? Research the ones you can do and start. You may need to downsize the production of meat on your farm. And at the end of the day, you will make more money.

Ok, let assume you are right, so that you can have practical experience of what I am telling you today when you eventually started.

The fact that you are looking at population shows you have never been there before, because if you were, you won't use that as yardstick in judging market situation in Nigeria where over 85% only eat chicken during festive period. All those barbecue, snacks, lunch, etc only exist as good idea, it doesn't work or sustain you as average or big farmer because you can't keep broilers in your pen and be selling on tiny portion withiout incurring loses.

One thing you should know is that, you can never ever have competitive advantage in poultry business due to perishable nature of the products.

Let die this matter.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by yemmit90: 1:36pm On Apr 29
stagger:

You have said it all, this is how you know people who have been there before.

Only those that really understand the dynamism of Nigeria market will understand better. Even me that own frozen store know better despite my little advantage over many farmers. Chicken is still consider luxury among teaming population in Nigeria, about 85% only eat it during festive period, while the rest can easily find alternative in meat and fish if the price is too high.

This is not to discourage anyone, this is reality on ground. That is why many big farmers prefer layers and POL sales.

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 1:47pm On Apr 29
yemmit90:

Ok, let assume you are right, so that you can have practical experience of what I am telling you today when you eventually started.
Have you done it to start saying this? You are too bold. Walahi. grin

[b]The fact that you are looking at population shows you have never been there before, because if you were, you won't use that as yardstick in judging market situation in Nigeria where over 85% only eat chicken during festive period.
Your marketing skills are extremely poor. You are just limited to your production level. grin

Every seasoned marketer and sales rep deals with figures. Lol. See eh... a beg...we need to end this. Stay with your farm. OK..

All those barbecue, snacks, lunch, etc only exist as good idea, it doesn't work or sustain you as average or big farmer because you can't keep broilers in your pen and be selling on tiny portion withiout incurring loses.
They are good ideas to you and not reality because you aren't a doer. Oga, leave story jare. Don't be too bold in matters you don't understand. I said you are too bold in your statements. I have given you clues, but you want others to see reasons you can not sell well. See... believe that in your world.

Tiny portions... I heard you. Yet, those retailers buy like 100kg or more and sell within a week. 100kg is like how many birds you produce? 40 to 47 broilers that is 3kg live size...lol. Dey play. Na you no sabi marketing oga. Give 500 broilers to a good marketer, and he will retail them all in less than a week..while you can't. What you don't know....try to relax and learn and stop doing "a sabi am".

One thing you should know is that, you can never ever have competitive advantage in poultry business due to perishable nature of the products.

Let die this matter.

Lol. Yet, retailers sell them wella. grin Farmers cannot be rich...walahi. A beg...a don die this matter. Just don't discourage others wanting to find ways out. You don't know it...so, leave it alone.. and stop making it like your way is the ONLY way out.

If you can not retail your products, then leave it. Let those who can go ahead. Retailing 100kg weekly is possible. Mind you...I still got offers for a live chicken of N15,000. Dem plenty for my hand. Wetin you dey talk. Retailing is a skill. You don't know about it, so leave it alone. And I am not ready to drag any issue further. I don't even discuss this issue with farmers. I discuss farming with farmers and marketing with retailers. So, let's off this thing.

Good luck, bro!
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 1:58pm On Apr 29
yemmit90:

You have said it all, this is how you know people who have been there before.

Only those that really understand the dynamism of Nigeria market will understand better. Even me that own frozen store know better despite my little advantage over many farmers. Chicken is still consider luxury among teaming population in Nigeria,
about 85% only eat it during festive period,
[s]while the rest can easily find alternative in meat and fish if the price is too high.[/s]

This is not to discourage anyone, this is reality on ground. That is why many big farmers prefer layers and POL sales.
Very wrong info in bold. Lol. If I dissect this for you...eh. grin

And the one I crossed out...fish farmers and meat butchers say same. Hahaha...yet, I see almost everyone in Nigeria eat meat, fish, eggs...etc...no matter how small.

Your problem is that you are targeting families that eat together. If you still don't get this into your head...you will keep failing. grin. So, those who eat sausages made from chickens produced in Nigeria are not eating chicken.....right? Those who eat legs are not humans...right. those who eat wings in mama puts place are not part of it. But only those who buy Xmas chickens...yehhhh....are the ones who eat chickens...right? I see soke who eat only gizzards. They aren't part of the supply chain...right?

Keep targeting the smallest market share and keep arguing here. Lol. A good marketer will NEVER target Xmas buyers. For what na? Yet, those are who you all try to target on NL. Produce for Xmas eaters. And last year wounded you all. grin "Dem wound many of you last year". Yet, you are still talking about it. It shows you have not learned anything. grin

You dont know any reality. Your reality is your limited world. So, keep them to yourself. Those making it are. If you like...learn retailing...if you like...keep arguing.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stagger: 2:20pm On Apr 29
epainos:

I smile many times when I read comments like this. In a nation of over 300 million people. Lol

When you understand the market dynamics of an emerging market that is facing recession, you will know what to do. Like I explained above, supplying is out of it. What exactly are those buying imported frozen chicken doing? Research everything well. If you are ready to add another level below what you are producing, you will see more opportunities.

Just like my brother is trying to discourage me from moving to a higher level than commercial broilers - hatching...the same way I don't you guys will really want to go below this level.
If you are willing to move up and down the value chain level of poultry production you are operating presently, you will see tons of opportunities.

Production is not the main profit... rather it is marketing and sales. Move into what sells. People buy poultry products massively in Nigeria. Those things poor and pako pikin dey chop..produce them. That's how tongo about it.

The issue is that the wahala of producing meat and eggs is too much, so many want to stop there. Instead, downsize that and move up and down your level to find a good niche for yourself.

People may not be able to buy live chicken of N10k to N15k, but I see many pako pikin buying legs around. Is that not part of what you produce? I see pako pikin eat eggs. Yes, they eat eggs anyhow. Is it not part of the value chain? All you have to do is sit down and restrategize.

You are looking at the picture of a whole family. Do Nigerian homes look like they feed together? How many homes feed together in Nigeria? Lol. Families that eat together in Nigeria are less than 20% of the total population. Lol. Those who understand the market will rather target the remaining 80%. I laughed when I read your comments. You have limited yourself seriously by targeting families that feed together. Go to Isale Eko, Ajegunle, Ajah, and many places in Lagos..mmif you see up to 1% of families that feed together, you are a good explorer. grin

I used the bolded as an example, also looking at where I grew up (in an estate housing workers in the same institution: nearly 300 families plus).

We never ate chicken except on Sundays, our birthdays, Christmas and Easter. I speak of from 1983 when our family finances took a hit from the austerity measures of that era. Other families with more kids than we were in our household did not eat chicken with such regularity. We mostly ate beef and fish. Even goat meat was considered a luxury. I am very sure that this consumption pattern still holds in MOST Nigerian households, where parents work in institutions with capped salaries.

Fast forward to today. A major customer of mine who uses my chickens in his hotel and fast food joints has seen their chicken demand drop off. I know because I ask the sales contact I interface with. Even his purchases from well established companies for sale in his supermarket have reduced. I was in his supermarket yesterday and his usually full freezer was stone empty.

Unless the way forward is to sell chicken parts, or open your own shawarma or chicken suya joint at places like the airports or other places where those with money can spend it on expensive chicken, I find it a bit hard to see a successful business model if the current trend continues.

Something has to give.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 2:50pm On Apr 29
stagger:

I used the bolded as an example, also looking at where I grew up (in an estate housing workers in the same institution: nearly 300 families plus).

We never ate chicken except on Sundays, our birthdays, Christmas and Easter. I speak of from 1983 when our family finances took a hit from the austerity measures of that era. Other families with more kids than we were in our household did not eat chicken with such regularity. We mostly ate beef and fish. Even goat meat was considered a luxury. I am very sure that this consumption pattern still holds in MOST Nigerian households, where parents work in institutions with capped salaries.

Fast forward to today. A major customer of mine who uses my chickens in his hotel and fast food joints has seen their chicken demand drop off. I know because I ask the sales contact I interface with. Even his purchases from well established companies for sale in his supermarket have reduced. I was in his supermarket yesterday and his usually full freezer was stone empty.

Unless the way forward is to sell chicken parts, or open your own shawarma or chicken suya joint at places like the airports or other places where those with money can spend it on expensive chicken, I find it a bit hard to see a successful business model if the current trend continues.

Something has to give.

What opened my eyes to high consumption of poultry products was the month I went round to really check the kind of meat that runs Lagos streets. I was shocked poultry meat competes well. Meat still leads... Suya...mama put....etc. But poultry products.....eggs...boiled, fried, snacks....meat......they run Lagos streets more than any kind of meat especially in the sun - fast processed food. Chicken franks, large sausages, hotdogs....indomie runs, so many spots I saw where feet are sold...one for N100....not even talking of sharwana , barbecue, and other luxurious foods. I am talking of normal food runs. One can tap into any of these areas.

Just go around and open your mind. Believe me...ideas will flow. You will have to return home and then, start a new model. It will take time...but you will see what I am saying.

There is a model where chicken thigh and drum sticks, breasts, and wings are packed together in Lagos and farmers sell in bulk for around N22k for 5kg. I don't have the recent price. I just commissioned a marketer to run it for me that time. The marketer was even my inlaw. Lol. She is a caterer...and she even topped hers.

Work with marketers...work with ladies in the industries....they will open up the market for you. Just be careful with mixing business with family matters or friendship.

Then, you have left over carcass like heads, feet, and internal organs. That time...I made sure I got enough dog breeders who I gave out my heads too. Feets retailing sure pass anything. Just get a poor region and spice it well...they will buy. Internal organs...I can't recollect how I disbursed the rest...but I offloaded them all.

I did not start with 1 000 birds sir. Infact, I could manage well over 5,000 at once if I wanted to, but when I wanted to start that runs, I started with half carton to understand the market. And gradually, I was doing 500 birds per week..then, 2,000...and it keeps growing.

What about eggs...I gat a friend who sells only scotch eggs. And that was it. He found his niche...and boom. He developed the market. Finished. He used to produce over 1 000 crates weekly, but downsized drastically to 2 crates when he started. He's got pretty quite good number of sales presently running into some few millions every month focusing on just a product.

Outside of this, he runs chips....today, he is presently in the UK and his mother inlaw is the one running it. He got the money he used to relocate from the business without selling any of his properties like many Nigerians.

It is not easy, but the way forward is running what sells. Selling what the street buys. Eg. Streets don't buy meat pie again....check it out. Just deliberately take note of what I am telling you here. You will see that you won't see meat pie again like before. What do you see more? Chicken franks ....here and there. Eggs products here and there. Chicken meat by products here and there. Can you tap into any of these?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stanvesco(m): 4:11pm On Apr 29
epainos:

Bro, let's roll everything here. If you have ideas...kindly share them here. I have shared everything I want to share here. Please, kindly add more if you have...I am.not a fan of private chat when I can network well with my posts here. Others can benefit from this, too.

You sounded as though you wanted like-minds to gather together.
Nonetheless, let's proceed.

What direction were you thinking?

I was thinking people can come together and pool funds for DOC parent stock and then share subsequently.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 6:07pm On Apr 29
stanvesco:

I was thinking people can come together and pool funds for DOC parent stock and then share subsequently.

Hmm!

In an ideal situation, collaboration is what Nigerians should leverage, but from previous experiences, Nigerians are nasty with collaborating with one another. The spirit of outwitting others is not uncommon among Nigerians. This spirit is the most active ingredient in Nigeria's spiritual food.

To do this successfully, the following people must be filled with God's spirit:

1. The coordinator
2. The managers of the birds.

These two groups of people must be very honest to make this work out.

Here are the expected outcomes for ordinary Nigerians:
1. They will manage it well and sell to people who did not contribute at market price, while telling lies about losing the birds. They can do anything to fabricate lies.

2. They might fight and then leave the farm. They do not care because they have not invested anything or very little.

3. They may develop an "I do not care" attitude during the project, allowing the birds to die. You will be surprised to learn that these same people are currently unemployed.

Nigerians see it as an opportunity that they must seize. If they fail people and do any of the aforementioned things, they make no fuss about it. It is no big deal. In fact, they believe they will be stupid if they do not seize this opportunity.

So, if you want this kind of arrangement to happen, how do you want to get godly people to manage the farm and deliver day-old chicks to farmers as scheduled. This is like a 2 to 3 years program. Can they be faithful to the end?

If this program is successful for like 1 year, believe me...most NL farmers will tap into it. But Naija...Hahaha... grin The devil has made their hearts his strategic planning rooms. cheesy

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Pepperdemisback: 9:29pm On Apr 29
Ameboperoo:

Where will one get fertile egg?
Which one is fertile eggs? All eggs work. Someone has posted an incubator that uses kerosene lantern up there and it can occupy 350 eggs. Maybe you should chat him up.
But you can experiment this with 6 eggs.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Pepperdemisback: 9:44pm On Apr 29
Redomi:
please I need the link to the video
They are plenty on YouTube. Just search
"How to hatch eggs at home", you can "with kerosene lantern" if you don't want to use rechargeable lantern.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 10:34pm On Apr 29
stanvesco:

OMG! How did I miss your point. Damn it. You meant that "like minds" could get together and pick a carton of parent stock to share. Yeah! Yeah! That's great. I mean, this is good.

Sure! We can try it out here. I have a better idea...we can open a WhatsApp group and them share ideas on how to run the breeding program. This is cool. I think it can work. It should.

This is brilliant.

Ten female breeders will produce approximately 55 eggs per week. With proper management, 50 broilers can be obtained. Also, if one can not meet the demands of managing 50 broilers per week, we will make arrangements with a hatchery and a marketer to assist in selling the ones we are not raising. Each team member sells one carton per week. One can expect to profit between $25 and $30,000. This is cool. And when one is ready to take the chicks for himself... that's it.

Brilliant!!!!

I think I will need only 5 members. We are already 2. Three more, and I am closing it. Shikena! And we move like a team members for years. We can roll layers, too. Also, ducks and turkeys. I am good to go.

Let's explore it. Let us explore the world of possibilities. Massive opportunities in front of us.

I think it is good we discuss this in the open first....now we can move to WhatsApp.

I will post about this tomorrow with a more detailed analysis and projections.
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Ameboperoo(m): 3:32am On Apr 30
Pepperdemisback:

Which one is fertile eggs? All eggs work. Someone has posted an incubator that uses kerosene lantern up there and it can occupy 350 eggs. Maybe you should chat him up.
But you can experiment this with 6 eggs.
What I mean by fertile egg - a cock should mate with the hen before the egg can be fertile to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, there will be no embryo even when you incubate it

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stanvesco(m): 6:58am On Apr 30
epainos:

OMG! How did I miss your point. Damn it. You meant that "like minds" could get together and pick a carton of parent stock to share. Yeah! Yeah! That's great. I mean, this is good.

Sure! We can try it out here. I have a better idea...we can open a WhatsApp group and them share ideas on how to run the breeding program. This is cool. I think it can work. It should.

This is brilliant.

Ten female breeders will produce approximately 55 eggs per week. With proper management, 50 broilers can be obtained. Also, if one can not meet the demands of managing 50 broilers per week, we will make arrangements with a hatchery and a marketer to assist in selling the ones we are not raising. Each team member sells one carton per week. One can expect to profit between $25 and $30,000. This is cool. And when one is ready to take the chicks for himself... that's it.

Brilliant!!!!

I think I will need only 5 members. We are already 2. Three more, and I am closing it. Shikena! And we move like a team members for years. We can roll layers, too. Also, ducks and turkeys. I am good to go.

Let's explore it. Let us explore the world of possibilities. Massive opportunities in front of us.

I think it is good we discuss this in the open first....now we can move to WhatsApp.

I will post about this tomorrow with a more detailed analysis and projections.

I am glad you have seen my point.
If you have just half of my zeal and desire.

We could be doing 100 digits profits in no time!
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stanvesco(m): 6:59am On Apr 30
epainos:

Hmm!

In an ideal situation, collaboration is what Nigerians should leverage, but from previous experiences, Nigerians are nasty with collaborating with one another. The spirit of outwitting others is not uncommon among Nigerians. This spirit is the most active ingredient in Nigeria's spiritual food.

To do this successfully, the following people must be filled with God's spirit:

1. The coordinator
2. The managers of the birds.

These two groups of people must be very honest to make this work out.

Here are the expected outcomes for ordinary Nigerians:
1. They will manage it well and sell to people who did not contribute at market price, while telling lies about losing the birds. They can do anything to fabricate lies.

2. They might fight and then leave the farm. They do not care because they have not invested anything or very little.

3. They may develop an "I do not care" attitude during the project, allowing the birds to die. You will be surprised to learn that these same people are currently unemployed.

Nigerians see it as an opportunity that they must seize. If they fail people and do any of the aforementioned things, they make no fuss about it. It is no big deal. In fact, they believe they will be stupid if they do not seize this opportunity.

So, if you want this kind of arrangement to happen, how do you want to get godly people to manage the farm and deliver day-old chicks to farmers as scheduled. This is like a 2 to 3 years program. Can they be faithful to the end?

If this program is successful for like 1 year, believe me...most NL farmers will tap into it. But Naija...Hahaha... grin The devil has made their hearts his strategic planning rooms. cheesy

Smiles.
Let's do this
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 8:00am On Apr 30
Arbor Acre Plus: Small-Scale Breeding Program
This is a program I am starting as a result of the suggestions and discussions in this thread. I was right to take the bull by the horns and bring the issue here, knowing that I would get answers to the high cost of day-old chicks. This is the breed Chi (Ajanla), Amo, and some other hatcheries produce here in Naija. You can easily attain 3kg in 6 weeks. And if you decide to grow it beyond 6 weeks, it can give you massive meat yield.

Summary of 40 weeks of Egg Production
Note that these projected figures are for one female bird.

Age at depletion - 448 days (64 weeks)
Total eggs - 192.7
Hatching eggs - 180.6
Chicks/female housed at 175 days (25 weeks) - 156.5
% Hatchability - 86.6
Age at 5% productions - 175 days (25 weeks)
% Peak Production - 89.6
Body weight at depletion - 4.1kg to 4.22kg
Liveability (rearing period)% - 95 - 96
Liveability (laying period)% - 92
Approx feed per bird for the project: 56kg (Still working on getting the real accurate figure).

Feed Quality
These parent stocks contain a moderate amount of protein. We start with about 19% crude protein and gradually reduce it to 13% crude protein. Not as expensive as commercial ones, we require 20 - 23% starter and finish with 17%.

The bulk of the feed is 13% to 14%, and a bag can cost up to N14,000.

The cost of feeding a bird
I will not go into detail about the total cost of production, but since we know that the feeding cost is the most important, let us look at it right away. Please, kindly note that I am going to dig more into this.

Each bird will consume 56kg for the project. The bulk is 14% crude protein. Of course, there are cheaper brands. Each bird will eat N31,360 worth of feed. Shikena. 12 birds will be less than N400k. (This will be reviewed further...I am making a rough estimate here...I will still dig more into this).

Sales
Sales per bird
Approx 180 Hatching eggs.

1. Day Old at N900 per bird. Sales is 162,000. 10 birds will give 1.6 million naira. You can easily remove your cost of production from this.

2. 4 weeks old birds at N2,500 - N4,500 (depending on the size). 10 birds will give (5% mortality rate): 5.99 million naira at 3,500 each.

3. If you choose to grow to 2kg and 3kg, you will have 40 to 50 chicks per week.

I laugh at the guy who argued with me that it is not worth it on this thread. Please carefully review these projections. I tell you, if you do not know how to handle data and figures, you will just talk nonsense. Indeed, your operation will be "ye-ye-lism." Data Science is currently the order of the day. When you have figures, you can better prepare yourself.

These big boys make good money because they can invest. What is stopping five people from putting this together?

Criteria for joining me
1. Previous experience successfully managing at least one carton of broilers. I will carefully ask you questions.

2. If you have a thread on NL, show me. That's gonna be a straightforward pass.

3. NL's teachers are welcomed. I have seen some interesting broiler management threads here, and if any of you are interested, I would be delighted to welcome you.

If you have any questions, please post them here. For the time being, I will not engage in private chat or email. It is for my peace of mind. I have learned to put everything here first... When I have a clear direction, I can open private chats. For the time being, everything is centered on this thread.

Sincerely Yours!

Note: I am not managing birds for anyone. 5 interested people can take 10 birds each. 4 can take 12 to 13 each. Carry your birds to your place and start breeding. Of course, we are going to learn together. So, don't come and ask me for ROI. "Shi-shi".... a no dey do. Find your ROI elsewhere. Strictly for practising poultry farmers. Breed, sell day- old chicks, 4 weeks chicks, or 3kg plus chickens consistently.

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Pepperdemisback: 4:25pm On Apr 30
Ameboperoo:

What I mean by fertile egg - a cock should mate with the hen before the egg can be fertile to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, there will be no embryo even when you incubate it
It is normal Agric eggs, I know about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must You Live In The City? Why Village Life Is Better!! / Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm / Made In Nigeria Frozen Chicken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.