Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,539 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? (12362 Views)

NFF Releases Super Falcons Team List For Olympic Qualifier Against Cameroon / NFF Releases Super Falcons Team List For WAFCON Qualifier Against Cape Verde. / NFF Releases Super Falcons Team List For Friendly Against France (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:11am On Apr 20
naptu2:

Lots of Super Falcons' goals, including Cynthia Uwak's goal at the 2007 World Cup to make the final scores
Nigeria 1-1 Sweden.

And Mercy Akide's goal against Denmark (Nkiru Okosieme also scored) to make the final score
Nigeria 2-0 Denmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NX6K6DJas

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by ejimatic: 9:22am On Apr 20
naptu2:
Reserve team

9) Desire Oparanozie

8 ) Cynthia Uwak

10) Nkiru Okosieme

7) Patience Avre

11) Stella Mbachu

6) Florence Omagbemi

3) Ngozi Ebere

4) Ayisat Yusuf

5) Yinka Kudaisi

2) Helen Ukaonu

1) Anne Agumanu.

3rd choice goalkeeper

Precious Dede
. What have they won for Nigeria internationally?
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:29am On Apr 20
ejimatic:
. What have they won for Nigeria internationally?

In fact, they have never won any Nations Cup or All African Games gold medal before. They have been sitting down and moping.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Emperormartin(m): 9:38am On Apr 20
aswani:

Good team but Nkiru Okosieme must anchor any all time Super Falcons midfield in my opinion.

That woman that the foolish England girl stepped on in the last world cup also deserves a place. She can play anywhere and never stops running.

I can't believe I have forgotten her name.
Mitchell Chinwendu Alozie

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Offpoint1: 9:38am On Apr 20
Nyanabo:

This shoe is fine. Are you into shoes?
Yes boss, I sell them.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:39am On Apr 20
naptu2:
Here's the story of Super Falcons goalkeeping

It started with Anne Agumanu (Anne Agumanu-Chiejine) from 1991 till 2000. I remember when she kept while pregnant, I remember 2000 Nations Cup final when we beat South Africa in South Africa (the South African fans kept throwing rocks at her and they were rioting in the stands, so the referee had to end the match before time and award it to us). She was the undisputed number 1 for almost 10 years. Anne Agumanu-Chiejine is now the Super Falcons goalkeeper trainer.

Then came Precious Dede. She was our first choice goalkeeper from 2001 till 2014. She was our goalkeeper coach during the Thomas Dennerby era and she folllowed him to India and is now the goalkeeper coach of the Indian junior national side.

Then came Tochukwu Oluehi. She shared the number 1 spot with Alaba Jonathan, Ibubeleye Whyte and Christy Bulus from 2015 till 2019.

Then came Chiamaka Nnadozie. She took over the number 1 spot from Tochukwu Oluehi (who is now our second choice keeper) and has held it since then.

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:41am On Apr 20
Can you imagine that someone here said that Anne only kept 20 times? Isn't that funny?

All these funny children.

1991 qualifiers, 1991 world cup, 1995 qualifiers, 1995 world cup, 1998 African Nations Cup, 1999 qualifiers, 1999 world cup, 2000 Nations Cup qualifiers, 2000 African Nations Cup, 2000 Olympics plus friendlies = 20 times.

I just come here to laugh, there's no way I'll take these people seriously.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by fx45(m): 9:41am On Apr 20
ChristineC:
who is Anne Agumanu though? I only know Ann Chiejina.
Agumanu before she got married and became Chiejine
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by fx45(m): 9:47am On Apr 20
naptu2:
🤣 Anyone that thinks that Anne Agumanu only had 20 appearances for the Super Falcons was probably only born yesterday.

(Maybe he's using google cheesy)
I've been following the Falcons from their very first game ever. Anne had very limited appearances for the Falcons. She got married, left the team and returned after a few years. Her form dropped thereafter and she eventually retired from the team.

Maybe it was her flamboyant appearance on the pitch that made it look like she was always there. Her appearances were very few.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:48am On Apr 20
Aha! He's still trying to make me laugh. The joke's enough. I am not reading your crap. Go and play with your mates.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by fx45(m): 9:52am On Apr 20
IyaTola:
How is she on the reserve? It obvious you are a genz
He might not be Gen Z but he thinks everything started with the Gen Z

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:55am On Apr 20
My introduction to women's football.

naptu2:

There was once a time that female football was not taken seriously in Nigeria. It was seen as a novelty and so you had novelty football matches between men and women in which the women were allowed to break all the rules of the game. It was done more for comic relief than for its entertainment value as a competitive sport.

My introduction to proper female football came in 1989. Lagos State hosted the National Sports Festival and the female football event took place in a venue that was not far from my house. So I walked there every evening to watch the matches.

There were three states that stood out from the rest, Lagos, Bendel and Rivers. The other teams were totally terrible, their players were not fit and they looked like comedians, but Lagos, Bendel and Rivers had proper football teams. The crowd had never seen women play football so well and those three teams had huge support among them. The three teams beat other teams with huge margins like 5-0 and 10-0.

I later found out why those three states were so good. They were the three states that had proper women's football clubs. Lagos State was basically the Jegede Babes team (owned by Princess Bola Jegede), Rivers State was made up of Larry's Angels players and Bendel State was made up of players from Ufuoma Babes.

(Some of the players that I saw in 1989 later went on to become superstars with the Super Falcons, but they were totally unknown back in '89).

The owner of Larry's Angels was Chief Larry Eze.

The Rivers State Government bought over the team many years later and they became known as Rivers Angels.

Chief Larry Eze discovered a lot of stars for Nigeria, for example, he convinced a young secondary school girl named Perpetua Nkwocha to play for Larry's Angels and she later became a superstar.

May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by BEULAHLAND(m): 9:56am On Apr 20
Me too o, I'm surprise
donbenie:
How is all these goalkeepers in front of Dede, better than her?
What exactly is your criteria? Because if sheer performance in the GWG is the sole basis,with apologies to Nnadozie,Dede is still the best Falcons GK..
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by fx45(m): 9:56am On Apr 20
naptu2:
The usual suspects that are (as usual) trying to troll should know that it's just a waste of time. I don't have time for nonsense.
Stop being emotional and allow people to make their contributions. How on earth can you play Precious Dede as a reserve goalkeeper? How on earth did Stella Mbachu missed the starting 11? She was the best ever number 11 and she lasted for more than a decade
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:57am On Apr 20
naptu2:
Women's football was not really taken seriously in the 1970s and '80s. What came to people's minds when you said "women's football" were comical matches that did not really comply with the rules of the game. They were novelty games that were played for comic relief, rather than real competitive matches. The situation was the same in most countries, but women's football was serious business in Scandinavia.

Then in 1989 FIFA decided to create a women's world cup (the first tournament was held in 1991) and Nigeria also decided to take women's football seriously.

So women's football was included in the 1989 National Sports Festival in Lagos. I went to watch most of the matches.

There was a huge gulf in class between the teams from Lagos, Bendel and Rivers and the other teams in the competition. Lagos, Bendel and Rivers were far better than all the other teams and none of the other teams could compete with them. The other teams looked like jokers.

Spectators who didn't think that women's football could be as interesting as men's football felt justified when they saw most of the teams play, but were totally shocked when they saw Lagos, Bendel and Rivers. Their players were very fit, trim and athletic (unlike players from other states). They could run, dribble and shoot very well.

Word spread quickly and the arena was always full when these three teams were playing. They beat the other states by 4 or more goals margin. Why were these three states so much better than the others?

Well, I didn't find out until the first women's national team, league and FA cup were organised in the early 1990s. Basically, these three states already had good female football clubs and the state teams were made up of players from these clubs.

Lagos State was basically made up of Jegede Babes players, Bendel State was the same as Ufuoma Babes of Benin and Rivers State was represented by players from Larry's Angels. These three teams dominated nigerian female football in the early 1990s.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 10:01am On Apr 20
My dad's very first contribution to the development of female football in Nigeria.

naptu2:

Old Man asked Westerhof to take a look at the female national team. They had been invited to the first ever female World Cup, China '91 and Old Man didn't want them to be disgraced. Westerhof took a look at them and said that what they really needed was a fitness trainer. He said that they were in really bad condition and they needed someone that would improve their physical conditioning. So he brought a fitness trainer called Johannes Bonfrere. The first test was a two-legged friendly series against the Dutch National Team. The Falcons were thrashed 5-0 at the National Stadium in Lagos. A week later, they lost 1-0 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu. There had been some improvement.

Westerhof asked the NFA to allow Bonfrere to join the coaching staff of the Super Eagles, but the NFA rejected his request because it did not have enough money to pay Bonfrere. Westerhof (backed by Chief's financial muscle) offered to pay Bonfrere's salary. The NFA accepted his offer. The Eagles complained after their first training session with Bonfrere. It was too demanding grin
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by BEULAHLAND(m): 10:02am On Apr 20
I don't even know the criteria for this arrangement. How on earth will Francisca Ordega bench Stella Mbachu..... Stella Mbachu is the all time greatest winger in the history of the super falcons. Francisca Ordega is no were close to Stella Mbachu..
GeneralDae:
I would only put Ordega in reserve and replace her with Stella Mbachu. Ordega was great at her peak, but Mbachu was very consistent.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by ejimatic: 10:06am On Apr 20
naptu2:

In fact, they have never won any Nations Cup or All African Games gold medal before. They have been sitting down and moping.
. They are local players who are just trying In their various clubs. NO MORE NO LESS!
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 10:08am On Apr 20
ejimatic:
. They are local players who are just trying In their various clubs. NO MORE NO LESS!

Why are you repeating what I wrote?

naptu2:

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by kendrick9(m): 10:08am On Apr 20
[quote author=naptu2 post=129536009][/quote]No room for Ekpo?
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 10:10am On Apr 20
kendrick9:
No room for Ekpo

Create your own team and include Ekpo. That's what this thread is supposed to be about.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by naptu2: 10:28am On Apr 20
naptu2:
Mercy Akide at the 2000 Olympics and 1999 World Cup.

Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Nyanabo(m): 10:31am On Apr 20
Offpoint1:

Yes boss, I sell them.

How much is it.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Offpoint1: 10:32am On Apr 20
Nyanabo:

How much is it.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Nyanabo(m): 10:39am On Apr 20
Offpoint1:

It's on the high side.

I won't spend up to 65k on that shoe if I order directly from alibaba.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Samunique(m): 10:39am On Apr 20
Gabriel1992:
Where is Deborah abiodun
Abiodun is still a starter, we're talking about the legends here.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Offpoint1: 10:44am On Apr 20
Nyanabo:

It's on the high side.

I won't spend up to 65k on that shoe if I order directly from alibaba.
You can't compare bulk price on Alibaba with resellers.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by Samunique(m): 11:02am On Apr 20
tiswell:
IGBOs

I learnt Asisat also has IGBO roots
not only Oshoala even Rashidi Yekini. undecided
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by donbenie(m): 11:24am On Apr 20
tiswell:
IGBOs

I learnt Asisat also has IGBO roots
What does this have to do with anything?
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by donbenie(m): 11:29am On Apr 20
martineverest:
I hate to say this ,nnadozie is a solid rock...she deserves to be African footballer of the year .see what she's doing in Paris and national team
I'm not taking anything away from Nnadozie..
But if their display for the Falcons is the criteria for choosing the best,Dede deserves the number 1 spot as well as anyone..
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by donbenie(m): 11:33am On Apr 20
Boland:
In my view, I believe that female participation in sports is unnecessary. The most competitive and captivating sports are predominantly played by men, so dedicating significant effort to women’s sports seems futile, as they can never truly match up to men’s achievements.
They don't have to be as good as men to excel..
Moreover sports is a profit oriented venture if there's no market for it,it would have died a natural death..
Sports like Tennis are amongst those in which women gives as good as men.
Re: Is This The Best Super Falcons Team Ever? by donbenie(m): 11:34am On Apr 20
Gabriel1992:
Where is Deborah abiodun
Who be Abiodun?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Pillars 1 : 0 Enyimba (Final score) / Group Holds Novelty Football Match To Bring Youths Together For Peaceful Electio / Weekly Wages Of Chelsea F.C Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.