Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,027 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS (25888 Views)

Lagos Govt Commences Registered Vehicles Renewal Proof Of Ownership Certificate / Buhari Has Given 286 Foreigners Certificates Of Citizenship-photo / Federal Government Inaugurates Board Of Citizenship And Leadership Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Kaiser20: 6:08pm On Apr 21
Will that stop APC from granting Voters cards to the underaged from from Chad and Niger to vote for APC at the election.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Moniya4Real(m): 6:08pm On Apr 21
Especially getting one in the north for a non -Nigerian hausa/Fulani etc, O easy baje. They’ll eventually be recognized more than a fellow Nigerian from down south

Mindlog:

If non-citizens already have Nigerian passports, what stops them getting a local government certificate of indigeneship?

3 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by APOPTOSIS: 6:09pm On Apr 21
oloriooko:
So how will those in diaspora get the local govt doc
Honestly
That's the reason I asked my question up there.
Are they saying Foreigners can't naturalize in Nigeria or what?

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by back2sender: 6:11pm On Apr 21
They should limit this to the border states ,the people who claim nigeria and are NOT Nigerians are the countries bordering the North & South

You will Nigeriens, Chadians etc claiming Northern states, focus should be in the North especially and border states

4 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Monaboo(m): 6:12pm On Apr 21
I need money to do fresh passport.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by RodgersAkpafu: 6:13pm On Apr 21
This is very silly
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Juoflife1(f): 6:19pm On Apr 21
As it should be
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by aywagze(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21
Old passport with bvn and NIN is enough
..backward people ..🤔

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by onuman: 6:20pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Probably not so much about renewal and more about new passport that NIN now secures.

We all know many consistently argued that NIN supervision, under Buhari, was to grant Nigerian citizenship cheaply and easily to many who should never have had access to it. Too late now IMO.

Hundreds of thousands of Jihadists have entered Nigeria from the Sahel region of West Africa through the porous borders in Northern Nigeria. They have obtained NIN and Local Government id, and became citizens of Nigeria during the APC government of Nigeria.
Too late indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by rinaballa: 6:24pm On Apr 21
Bvn and nin is rubbish shey

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by lesson44: 6:24pm On Apr 21
Some of these documents they are requesting would only make sense if there were existing documentations of citizenship especially at local government levels. At its now, anyone with little money could walk into any local government secretariat with a sworn affidavit and claim his or her is from there. As long as they could speak the local languages, or probably demonstrate their knowledge of the area, they will be granted indigenous document .
Trust me, local government workers will hit a gold mine with this policy.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Shorty11: 6:26pm On Apr 21
I pity Nigeria system of governance. So NIS don't have data base that store/save informations. So what is the essence of providing birth cert, state of Origin and National identification while applying for passport at first. What they are saying now is no proper documentation.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by COMPAQ(m): 6:33pm On Apr 21
Tetrahedron:
Thank God common sense is coming back to Nigeria gradually, now all those from Niger rep, Togo, Benin rep, and Tchad will be caught

There's one mechanic workshop near my place of living. Almost everyone in that workshop is from Benin Republic. And I'm very sure if they really wanted to all of them could get Nigerian passports and nin. All they have to do is bribe, and nin will come out, along with Nigerian passport.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Papayaayasager(m): 6:40pm On Apr 21
They have just gifted Local governments the chance to make bastard money

Many will still bribe to attach them selves to a local government no be Nigeria again?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by poseidon12: 6:43pm On Apr 21
Tetrahedron:
Thank God common sense is coming back to Nigeria gradually, now all those from Niger rep, Togo, Benin rep, and Tchad will be caught

Exactly. Buhari and the Miyetti Allah deliberately opened Nigeria up to Fulanis from neighboring countries to swell their number here for political reasons. This would be a good way to screen those foreigners out.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Baxilexi(m): 6:43pm On Apr 21
The Minister in charge should have a rethink about this policy. Proof of indigenship is an outmoded means of identification. Especially in a country where falsification of documents is a trade.

Whether or not someone is an indigene shouldn’t be the question. What should matter is if those living on this soil called Nigeria are worthy to be Nigerian passport holders, and called citizen and a pathway should be shown.

I align with former VP Osinbajo’s proposition to scrap state of origin and replace it with place of birth. We need to blur ethnic lines as they do us no good.

Subsequently, NIN should be treated like SSN. As early as at the period of birth it should be issued along with birth certificates.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:46pm On Apr 21
Monaboo:
I need money to do fresh passport.

How? And why a fresh one instead of renew.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by hammer567: 6:47pm On Apr 21
n the new regime, part of the requirements for renewal of passports include provision of a National Identification Number, old passport number, birth certificate, and local government certificate of indigeneship.
WHAT IS ALL THIS?

ALL IS MEANS TO COLLECT YOUR MONEY, WHILST YOU REPEAT THE SAME PROCESS MULTIPLE TIMES.

TINUBU SHOULD KEEP PUNISHING NIGERIANS.

HE SHOULD REMEMBER THAT HE HAS NO MANDATE SINCE HE DID NOT WIN ELECTION.

THE SAME WAY HE GOT THERE, IS HOW HE WILL BE REMOVED.

ISE!
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by hammer567: 6:50pm On Apr 21
OUR PRAYERS FOR TINUBU IS THAT EXACTLY HOW HE GOT TO ASO ROCK, IS HOW HE WILL BE REMOVED FROM ASO ROCK PRESIDENTIAL VILLA.

ISE!
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Greenfusion: 6:52pm On Apr 21
Abeg make una deport me to US or europe jor, i nor get proof of citizenship.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by hammer567: 6:53pm On Apr 21
IF HIM DO POLITICAL COUP ENTER, MILITRAT COUP GO BE HIM PORTION.

IF HIM DO JUDICIAL COUP ENTER, MILITARY GO DISBAND/SACK JUDICIARY.

THIS OUR WORLD IS ROUND, MEANING NA RECYCLING WE DEY AND NOTHING NEW.

ON TINUBU CAP, HE WEARS AN OCCULT SYMBOL THAT AGREES WITH ME.

WHAT U SOW, SHALL U REAP.

ISE!
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by ceejay80s(m): 6:56pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Can that argument be applied to the case of Nigeria where we should really be in a security State of emergency, because of serious terrorist threats everywhere, with so many non-Nigerians allowed to infiltrate our country to become enemies-within?

Nothing like too much ID for our unique and very dangerous situation that needs serious overhaul. Many non-Nigerians who mean Nigerians harm are in Nigeria and holding Nigerian passports.

We can now only contain those but very serious scrutiny of new passport to be issued is in order and the way to go.

It will stop more evil beings gaining Nigerian citizenship but I am personally more worried about those already here and criminally active or lying low as 'sleeper cells'.
How many abokis terrorists dey apply for visa?
Tell me?

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Goke7: 6:57pm On Apr 21
There shouldn’t be too much ambiguity in this,

A document to prove that one has lived in Nigeria for 10 years or more should suffice, things like payslips, employment letter, proof of address should be enough. My name sounds Nigerian already why the burden of ties to the local government when many people were either not born in their local government or even lived there. Just hope this will not be a major pain point, the govt ought to make this process simpler. Our record keeping at the local government level is almost zero.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by kingsways: 6:58pm On Apr 21
It’s too cumbersome. So every one must travel to their local government to get identification document before their passport can be renewed
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Shikena(m): 7:00pm On Apr 21
I love the local government requirement. Every single Nigerian came from a family in a specific local government. That is the person's homeland within motherland Nigeria. That homeland is not no man's land.

Sometimes we just have to choose between security and convenience. States can make the processing easier through the ministry of local government affairs so that some situations won't require traveling to the specific local government.

Otherwise, just go home this once and reconnect with your root. It's good for the soul and spirit grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by ceejay80s(m): 7:00pm On Apr 21
Tetrahedron:
How many of Dem need it, the sole purpose of people getting it is to japa , so wetin Niger and Chad wan go do for Canada with Nigerian passport
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by MT: 7:02pm On Apr 21
Lot of nationals from other countries easily hold Nigeria passport. Nigeria Immigration officers are complicit

Many foreigners spend 20 years before they can obtain citizenship in another western countries via complex processes.

Nigeria needs more robust system to verify the citizenship aside this local govt documentation. Local Govt staffers will get bribed and issue this document to someone from Togo easily. Even in Ghana, it's so difficult getting their passport, why is ours different as a nation ?.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by MT: 7:05pm On Apr 21
Baxilexi:
The Minister in charge should have a rethink about this policy. Proof of indigenship is an outmoded means of identification. Especially in a country where falsification of documents is a trade.

Whether or not someone is an indigene shouldn’t be the question. What should matter is if those living on this soil called Nigeria are worthy to be Nigerian passport holders, and called citizen and a pathway should be shown.

I align with former VP Osinbajo’s proposition to scrap state of origin and replace it with date of birth. We need to blur ethnic lines as they do us no good.

Subsequently, NIN should be treated like SSN. As early as at the period of birth it should be issued along with birth certificates.

Well articulated
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Cmanforall: 7:08pm On Apr 21
AllenSpencer:
The expired passport itself should be a proof for renewals.

Maybe he's targeting Neighbours from Niger grin
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Shikena(m): 7:10pm On Apr 21
Please any stakeholder reading this must note that identifying your state of origin and local government is mandatory and must be adhered strictly with!

Many of us that supported scrapping of state of origin requirement for years have now totally and decisively changed our minds in view of "no man's land" madness. You know your homeland, identify with it. We are Africans, we know our homes. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Cmanforall: 7:10pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Probably not so much about renewal and more about new passport that NIN now secures.

We all know many consistently argued that NIN supervision, under Buhari, was to grant Nigerian citizenship cheaply and easily to many who should never have had access to it. Too late now IMO.

Nigerien
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Iamzik: 7:10pm On Apr 21
Tetrahedron:
They will still pay your local government 2k and get the proof....then what?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari Visits Jalingo, Taraba State (Photos) / Many Operatives Feared Killed As Gunmen Burn Station In Anambra / Why Does NEPA(PHCN) Take Light When It's Raining?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.