Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? (41526 Views)

After Raising Hopes, Naira Depreciates Against The Dollar By 5.8% In April / Dollar Fall Is Not The Work Of Cbn O / Why The Naira Is Now Gaining Against The Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Lumarstone: 11:40am On Apr 22
Paraman:
Check the rate on the CBN website

Ok sir!
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by maasoap(m): 11:41am On Apr 22
abc115:

Stop speculation...it is #1000...no body will buy it from you, if it more than #1000....go try it with black market
Black market is even cheaper than official market most times these days
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:41am On Apr 22
GOD MADE THE NAIRA STRONGER STRONGER AGAIN ,FORGET ALL YOUR RHETORICS,IT IS PEOPLE LIKE US THAT LOVE OUR GODGIVEN COUNTRY ARE PRAYING FERVENTLY FOR NIGERIA,WHILE INCURRABLE PESSIMISTS ARE BADMOUTHING THE NATION.

MAKE NO.MISTAKE ABOUT IT,THE FORCES THAT HELD NIGERIA BOUND SINCE 1999 FROM PROGRESSING ARE BEING CRUSHED AND SHATTERED TO PIECES. NIGERIA IS PHENOMENALLY RISING LIKE THE PHEONIX FOREVER IFSHA. wink

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Jeezuzpick(m): 11:45am On Apr 22
dawnomike:
It is a mistake to have held on to your dollar this long. You should have offloaded it a long time ago as you noticed the appreciation of Naira over time.

Now, you are merely playing a game of chance and hopeful speculation.

Offloaded dollars for what?

Naira? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Instead, let him look for foreign stock or a hedge fund.....something guaranteed to give him more dollars.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by AutoConsult: 11:45am On Apr 22
advanceDNA:

Are we not saying the same thing....??
No we are not sir.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by advanceDNA: 11:46am On Apr 22
AutoConsult:

No we are not sir.

Lol.....ok ooo.....Wateva makes u sleep well at night is fine by me
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by gabicon: 11:47am On Apr 22
Qwertyuiop1:
Please consider this a layman's question.
Last night before I went to bed, at about 11PM I checked dollar to naira rate and it was #1,151/$. Waking up this morning (in less than 7 hours) I checked again and it has plummeted to #1,075/$.

What exactly happened over the night while I was sleeping? I've got like $5K cash and it's reason I've been monitoring the rate even tho I'm absolutely a layman who has no idea what's happening. I only had the money last year and a colleague advised me to convert to dollar and keep which she claimed to be the safest way to retain my money's worth but as it stands, I'm at loss already. What happened please? Or is google not reliable?

CBN has a tight grip on the exchange rate as we speak so hopes of getting higher rates are slim. The true value of the naira is about #1200/$, during the Buhari government it's value should have been about #800/$ but they kept the value artificial for political reasons.

Cut your losses and move on. You clearly don't have an appetite for high risk investment, you should stick to low risk instruments like money market and treasury bills.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by tradepunter: 11:47am On Apr 22
dawnomike:
It is a mistake to have held on to your dollar this long. You should have offloaded it a long time ago as you noticed the appreciation of Naira over time.

Everybody don turn economist..... It's all relative..... I have dollars dating far back purely bought for business and risk balancing purpose .... I am not a speculator so don't give a hoot if it crashes or gains

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Barcalee: 11:47am On Apr 22
Continue to keep it
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by okoroemeka(m): 11:51am On Apr 22
Qwertyuiop1:
Last night before I went to bed, at about 11PM I checked dollar to naira rate and it was #1,151/$. Waking up this morning (in less than 7 hours) I checked again and it has plummeted to #1,075/$.

What exactly happened over the night while I was sleeping? I've got like $5K cash and it's reason I've been monitoring the rate even tho I'm absolutely a layman who has no idea what's happening. I only had the money last year and a colleague advised me to convert to dollar and keep which she claimed to be the safest way to retain my money's worth but as it stands, I'm at loss already. What happened please? Or is google not reliable?
you are one of the enemies and saboteurs of our country,why are you fighting and wishing for dollar to rise so you can cash out
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Everlastingson: 11:52am On Apr 22
Qwertyuiop1:

What exactly happened over the night while I was sleeping? I've got like $5K cash and it's reason I've been
monitoring the rate even tho I'm absolutely a layman who has no idea what's happening. I only had the money last year and a colleague advised me to convert to dollar and keep which she claimed to be the safest way to retain my money's worth but as it stands, I'm at loss already. What happened please? Or is google not reliable?

Keep your dollar and don't be afraid. The " gain" you see Naira make is cosmetic, it's artificial. It's manipulated by the CBN depleting the nations foreign reserve to prop the Naira. They can't do that for long cuz Nigeria doesn't export anything to get the dollar. Even the volume of the crude oil they export is down due to their own bunkering and crude theft activities, plus they used the crude as futures to collect billions of dollars as loan from Afriexim Bank at diabolical interest rate. Their reserve is almost red now. Forget their APC lies. Keep your dollar coz the Naira will soon become woeful against the dollar again I assure you. But this is an advice. The final decision is yours but I've told you what must happen soon.

For those who blame speculators, ask them whether there are no speculators in other countries where the currency is strong and stable. They think they can propagandize away the root cause of the problem which they know but are keeping quiet and lying about.

3 Likes

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by abc115: 11:57am On Apr 22
jayworld15:

Aboki fx is 1,250 naira, on Naija news it's 1290, at monierate it's 1251. Post the current thing.

Mind you, it's going up.

This is GTBank this morning...those ones you mentioned are speculative channels... they are not recognize anywhere. Take $1 to the street and see how much you will be given..

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by abc115: 11:58am On Apr 22
maasoap:

Black market is even cheaper than official market most times these days

You are right
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Adlac(m): 11:58am On Apr 22
advanceDNA:

That means u don't understand ur colleague

Ur own aim is to convert back to naira to have a feel of plenty naira...... but the conversion technically makes only little difference because the naira u want to convert to has a very low purchasing power now.. e.g 2.7M tokunbo now goes for 8.5-9M..

But if u can understand ur colleague....T.M shirt is still 3 for 135$ since last year....if u dont gerrit, fogerrit....

@The Bolded, Going by your assertions holding back $ Speculative Purposes doesn't help in anyway. For Instance Assuming the time $ was bought around N1,600 same $ can still be bought @ N1,200. And the T.M Shirt still Remains 3 for $135. Now if you are to quantify in Naira value. How much is the cost of each Shirt using the two rate as a determinant?

Summary; Don't buy $ for speculative purposes it hurt @the end. To main the Value of your Funds Buy and sell according to Market reaction.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Babalegba(m): 12:00pm On Apr 22
Everlastingson:

Keep your dollar and don't be afraid. The " gain" you see Naira make is cosmetic, it's artificial. It's manipulated by the CBN depleting the nations foreign reserve to prop the Naira. They can't do that for long cuz Nigeria doesn't export anything to get the dollar. Even the volume of the crude oil they export is down due to their own bunkering and crude theft activities, plus they used the crude as futures to collect billions of dollars as loan from Afriexim Bank at diabolical interest rate. Their reserve is almost red now. Forget their APC lies. Keep your dollar coz the Naira will soon become woeful against the dollar again I assure you. But this is an advice. The final decision is yours but I've told you what must happen soon.
Lol, you have no grip on reality at all . Why do you think Cbn came up with plethora of rules and reforms.The game is up.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Morenikeji090(m): 12:02pm On Apr 22
Lol enemies can never be happy coz enemy won’t happy when someone they are wishing bad when he or she is progressing in life lol
Peakdesign23:
Aren’t you happy?
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by frankputer: 12:02pm On Apr 22
Piggyvest is converting at a higher rate, N1,250
U can cash out from there platform by converting at a high rate now.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Morenikeji090(m): 12:03pm On Apr 22
It’s a lie…
nawaforyouo:
it is 1200 now

check the real (black market) rate
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by frankputer: 12:03pm On Apr 22
Qwertyuiop1:

Piggyvest is converting at a higher rate, N1,250
U can cash out from there platform by converting at a high rate now.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by jasent(m): 12:03pm On Apr 22
dawnomike:

Story. Naira doesn't have the strength to stay long in a fight. What we are witnessing now is just for a while, dollar will still bance back against naira. What are you producing to keep the naira Strong, nothing. They are just defending the naira and you lot are celebrating. Op keep your dollar.

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Everlastingson: 12:06pm On Apr 22
Babalegba:
Lol, you have no grip on reality at all . Why do you think Cbn came up with plethora of rules and reforms.The game is up.

Your APC can't deceive everybody.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Tetraozonaitera: 12:08pm On Apr 22
helinues:

Are you even sure the op get ordinary $1 bill?

Why must you doubt the OP.
Why must he lie. Who does he want to impress on a faceless platform?
Only Thieves Know How To Trace The Footprints of Thieves On The Rocks.

Not everyone lies like you do bro.

I don't know the OP but you are wrong to call him a liar.

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by ugodson(m): 12:09pm On Apr 22
Qwertyuiop1:

Guy believe it or not the falling of the naira is abnormal it would still raise to over N1600 as long as is this government. Have you asked yourself why are things still high at the market even with d dollar fall?
Please keep your dollars and relax
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by imagrg(m): 12:10pm On Apr 22
Confused people! undecided
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by MurderX: 12:15pm On Apr 22
As far as there's no constant power supply, no increase in oil and gas production, no reduction in food prices from increased agricultural produce, no increase in job vacancies,
NAIRA is not doing well. These are the indicators of a booming economy. Propanganda and force is not the solution.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by tweakstar: 12:22pm On Apr 22
IbeOkehie:

Exactly. I read somewhere that Nigeria dollar reserves are down significantly.

I don't know how long it will last, but this uptick in naira isn't sustainable. Because the government isn't making any fundamental changes to the economy. Period.

Dollar was ≈ 200 in 2015 and went all the way to 1900. Let's call it a retracement within a long term trend.

Good Luck to Nigeria

You spoke like a trader. One thing is that those who know enough, can easily view things like you spoke and decipher where things are effectively heading to.

2 Likes

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by tweakstar: 12:29pm On Apr 22
Everlastingson:

For those who blame speculators, ask them whether there are no speculators in other countries where the currency is strong and stable. They think they can propagandize away the root cause of the problem which they know but are keeping quiet and lying about.

Very heart troubling, the fundamentals you hinge on. An honest assessment doesn't seem to show we are headed in the right direction yet.

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by LucemFerre: 12:30pm On Apr 22
Keep your dollar… the games these politicians are playing will not last. Nigeria is on the brink of collapse. I hope im wrong. But, no currency appreciates that fast in a short period of time.
Something’s not right
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Allisgud: 12:30pm On Apr 22
Until it affects our daily expenditures, the same way it was when dollar was rising,if not,to me all this are mere propaganda
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by blueAgent(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22
Cindypresh:

Envy your 30k? Never

It isn't easy defending a failure like tinubu morning afternoon and night on nairaland for a meagre 30k stipend.

Carry go, I can never Envy such thing

Well said. grin

1 Like

Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by blueAgent(m): 12:44pm On Apr 22
LandMann:

Government propaganda agent. Well done

I tell U.

APC propaganda machine na their work.
Re: What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night? by Buddy0: 12:46pm On Apr 22
abc115:

This is GTBank this morning...those ones you mentioned are speculative channels... they are not recognize anywhere. Take $1 to the street and see how much you will be given..

Mumu man .. Go to the bank and see if they will sell it to you at that rate.

BDC rate is at 1200 and it's going up as we speak.

Propaganda spreader SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Tech Start-up Journey / CBN Blocks Money Transfers Into The Country From Most Operators / Mai Bornu To Emefiele: Indigenous CBN Governors Till Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.