Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,981 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months (17713 Views)

Electricity: Discos Under Fire As Outages Worsen / Pastor Chris, AMCON In Court Over Unpaid Salaries. 44 Dead So Far. / We Are No Longer Responsible For Electricity Meters - Discos Tell Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by delpee(f): 11:51pm On Apr 22
IBEDC covers a very large area and it's so ineffective. I think they cover Oyo, Ogun, Osun and Kwara states. Many places in Ibadan city would fit in perfectly in Band E. sad
Perhaps it should be split to 2 or 3.
Lagos has 2 DISCOS.
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by countryman13: 12:20am On Apr 23
SoNature:
Stop giving licenses to companies to manage power distribution across regions. Instead, make it a state by state thing. Just like Lagos, every state should have its disco. That way, unbundling the tripodal power industry will be much easier in the future.
A state like mine(Kogi), cant manage DISCO at d moment!
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by nairalanda1(m): 2:47am On Apr 23
tollyboy5:

Bro no dey CAP this sh!t Always.
You can't charge people you don't give light. It's a business and not a charity foundation where we donate money for darkness.
You want to charge me cost reflective bill, but there is no meter in my compound, so I should also pay for meter?
You want to charge cost reflective bill but some areas has faulty transformer?
Now that they've been giving the go ahead to charge cost reflective bill base on their ability to provide maximum satisfaction customers why don't they use that effort to improve on their distribution networks instead of sending meaningless apologies.
Since they've reduce the light giving to users below band A what has been their improvement in service delivery to the so-called band A feeders?
Is it not a business? Why can't they get capital to improve distribution to 70% consumers and upgrade them to band A so they can charge cost reflective bills?
If they're not finding it easy to handle this stuff their license should be revoked

Cost reflective tarrif
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by nairalanda1(m): 2:47am On Apr 23
tk003:

Who owned the gas companies?

Mostly private companies
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by sulaak(m): 5:26am On Apr 23
nairalanda1:

As the article says, the gas companies are owed money by the government. To the tune of 1.3 billion dollars. Government also owes gencos 1.3 trillion naira or an additional 1.0 bn dollars.

Gas companies as a result are refusing to supply gas as a result

Nigeria flare gas. is a gas that can be used to power electric turbines.

Why can NNPCL extract gas for use in the electricity power sector, as Aramco is doing in Saudi Arabia?
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by emorse(m): 5:52am On Apr 23
Chicagograduate:
Upon the estimated Billings without providing electricity services the owners of disco are still taking loans and are unable to repay?This is mismanagement.
You deyind them? It's not even just mismanagement. It's outright thievery. I used to get billed for 300KWH monthly until I purchased the prepaid meter. Now (for over 18 months) I barely consume up to 40KWH monthly because the electricity is simply not available. It has never been available. They need to account for the monthly 260KWH that I paid for for so many years. And they placed me in band C that's supposed to enjoy 16 hours daily. Bloody criminals!

And the "kick and follow" analysts will be here making one senseless argument about cost reflective tariffs and accusing Nigerians of wanting cheap electricity. Before nko? If you do business in a country where labour is dirt cheap such as Nigeria, your product/service is expected to be cheap. Ask the Chinese. But alas, band A consumers now pay higher than most Americans. Make that make sense please.

These people bought the companies dirt cheap and ever since, have not invested N1. Yet they want to charge same as their counterparts in Europe and America who have invested billions of dollars over the years and have higher costs of production. Make dem dey play.

1 Like

Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by emorse(m): 5:54am On Apr 23
sulaak:

Nigeria flare gas. is a gas that can be used to power electric turbines.

Why can NNPCL extract gas for use in the electricity power sector, as Aramco is doing in Saudi Arabia?
Why would they do all that hard work when they can simply bill you for darkness? undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by emorse(m): 5:56am On Apr 23
delpee:
IBEDC covers a very large area and it's so ineffective. I think they cover Oyo, Ogun, Osun and Kwara states. Many places in Ibadan city would fit in perfectly in Band E. sad
Perhaps it should be split to 2 or 3.
Lagos has 2 DISCOS.
Many places in Nigeria as a whole do not even qualify for band E.
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by chimauk(m): 6:28am On Apr 23
richiemcgold:
Here's my conclusion after reading this report:

Power supply (both generation, transmission and distribution) is not cheap. It is very expensive.

To guarantee stable power, government needs to spend more money and the consumers (Nigerians) also need to pay more money.
i will have to respond to you lot that always say this nonsense.1. every government has what they subsidize.Nigeria government is already doing this for power. The govt bears the cost of what Nigerians are not paying so the discos can't use that as an excuse.though the government is owing them,so blame the government for that..2.you need to know how much these discos make from estimated bills and how much they lose for not giving electricity,now that many people use prepaid.Most times,the no light situation is due to faulty transformers and some technical issues and because of the slow attitude by their technical teams to resolve,the issue lingers..3. The new increments of the bandA customer is being charged in naira at dollar rate,why?.even in some places in US,their bill is not as much as this.i have had the privilege of seeing the report of electricity consumption of my area for a particular month,some days,we didn't have light at all,these guys said they supplied light for 15hours in the report.
Overall,these discos are just inefficient. They take advantage of our docility to rip us.and the bad government policies are helping them.Nigerians are never to be blamed for anything.You can't fix the tariff higher than the minimum wage..They complained about not being supplied gas.something we have wasting through flaring..blame the discos and the government.leave the people out of it
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by Slimlord(m): 8:07am On Apr 23
SoNature:
Stop giving licenses to companies to manage power distribution across regions. Instead, make it a state by state thing. Just like Lagos, every state should have its disco. That way, unbundling the tripodal power industry will be much easier in the future.
Lagos actually have two
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by SoNature(m): 8:10am On Apr 23
Slimlord:

Lagos actually have two

Yes, I know - Ikeja Electric for mainland and Eko Electric for the Island. I just used it an example. Other states cannot be like Lagos because the power requirement of Lagos is high, given its population and industrial cluster. Every state needs one major Disco; what we have today is mostly a regional arrangement.

1 Like

Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by CursedOsuPigs: 8:20am On Apr 23
Onyedikachi231:
Hahaha...

Its remaining 250 naira for my budget of 5.5 million naira solar power system to complete.

In a year, na only space I go dey occupy for Nigeria, I won't need Nigeria for anything again.

I supply my own everything even water.

At my status, na wetin I go do for Nigeria.

Nah! You still need so much from Nigeria.

You need good road from Nigeria except you fly at all times, even on a distance of 5km.

You need security from Nigeria even if you hold a licensed gun.

You need good environment to live in even if your compound is a garden of eden.
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by HenryWilliams(m): 9:03am On Apr 23
athaboi:
it is highly capital intensive with a very huge loss...discos cannot recover energy given bcoz there's meter bypass and they are meant to pay for every energy given to them! And government has not sold it to anyone, they still have a stake making it difficult for anyone to fully take responsibility. So investors are only interested in the profit they will make and not to improve the system bcoz it doesn't belong to them. They know that fg will collect it one day so they don't bother investing in it, just to make profit for he main time and move on. They should do proper privatization after cleaning the mess in distribution companies

What they lose in meter bypass, they gain 10x in estimated billings..

1 Like

Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by sulaak(m): 9:33am On Apr 23
emorse:

Why would they do all that hard work when they can simply bill you for darkness? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Kia, you don kill me
Re: FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months by Onyedikachi231: 3:42pm On Apr 23
CursedOsuPigs:

Nah! You still need so much from Nigeria.

You need good road from Nigeria except you fly at all times, even on a distance of 5km.

You need security from Nigeria even if you hold a licensed gun.

You need good environment to live in even if your compound is a garden of eden.

You are correct in a way but still I will manage.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC PCC Uncovers Fake Website Blackmailing Tinubu / Shell Closes Bonny Terminal Over Alleged Attack On Nembe Pipeline / Twin Bomb Blast Hit Adamawa Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.