Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,920 members, 7,821,221 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge (22848 Views)

PZ Cussons Nigeria Financially Distressed As Liabilities Surpass Assets / Four Anambra Brands That Will Take Over Nigeria Soon / PZ Cussons Nigeria Beats The Odds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Winnin009: 6:24am On Apr 26
nams77:

I'm sure you don't know that thousands of Nigerians get there pay from these companies directly or indirectly. I'm sure you are not aware about their tax return also. You lot are horrible

Change is painful but necessary. This transition was long coming and it’s here. The tax returns isn’t much of my concern. The thousands they employ however don’t deserve to lose their jobs in such manner but Nigeria as a nation doesn’t deserve to be where she is and changes like this are what will indeed take Nigeria to the next step.

I sell raw materials for production. I can tell you for free that this will benefit more people on short and long terms.

For the singular fact that it will give local and indigenous manufacturers opportunities to scale and grow their business, that’s good enough.

A thousand local producers will create more jobs and what not on the long run as oppose to one global brand
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Clobisman(m): 7:42am On Apr 26
santaclaws:
They can leave. Their main reason is reduced sales according to them and Nigeria is just leaving a recession, coupled with our fight against inflation. They're not the only ones who experienced a plunge in sales, a lot of Nigerians were forced to cut down on their expenditure and it affected businesses.

This is why the govt must support indigenous businesses cos all these foreign businesses have no real stake in the country. Once they can't maximise profit, they jet out. Only local businesses can bear with the country through hard times, just like BUA cement & Air Peace...
For your mind you are so smart

1 Like

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by odeku457(m): 8:44am On Apr 26
They are the last fangs the imperial colonialists have embedded in the sleeves of our dear country.

I will suggest they move and let us get to resuffle and make things happen ourselves, it might be long and hard but we are resilient and strong and will com3 out ontop.

They have done more harm than good.

#MYOR about those that First sold and bought NIGERIA. (And change in company names and ownership down till tody.)

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by nams77: 11:59am On Apr 26
santaclaws:

LOL... In your mind now you've said something intelligent 😂😂😂

Did anyone tell you it was as a result of good economic policies? Why didn't Air Peace stop operations when foreign airlines were complaining?

Did the purchasing power of Nigerians increase when Air Peace slashed the price which led to competition in the aviation sector?

I'm talking about supporting such indigenous businesses in light of such advantages, you're talking as if you just passed junior WAEC. Olodo 😆😂
There is no need to discuss further with you. Your level of reasoning is too low. Have a nice day
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by santaclaws: 1:28pm On Apr 26
nams77:

There is no need to discuss further with you. Your level of reasoning is too low. Have a nice day

Yea, better run boy... You can't handle the cognitive load.
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Fujiyama: 1:40pm On Apr 26
nams77:
Why are you folks so wicked and f0olish at the same time

Why are you people so f00lish and devilish at the same time

^^^
grin
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by shugamummy: 2:26pm On Apr 26
Who will buy from local businesses? Those with purchasing power or not. What they saw is so many Nigerians no possess spare capital to purchase anything apart from food. Your Tilumbu has impoverished the vast majority

santaclaws:
They can leave. Their main reason is reduced sales according to them and Nigeria is just leaving a recession, coupled with our fight against inflation. They're not the only ones who experienced a plunge in sales, a lot of Nigerians were forced to cut down on their expenditure and it affected businesses.

This is why the govt must support indigenous businesses cos all these foreign businesses have no real stake in the country. Once they can't maximise profit, they jet out. Only local businesses can bear with the country through hard times, just like BUA cement & Air Peace...

1 Like

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by nams77: 2:26pm On Apr 26
santaclaws:

Yea, better run boy... You can't handle the cognitive load.
See this imp devoid of grey matters. Lol.

I'm glad the poverty is dealing with you guys.

1 Like

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by santaclaws: 2:43pm On Apr 26
nams77:

I'm an imp devoid of grey matters. Lol.

I'm glad that poverty is dealing with me and my people

👌🏾
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Exceed15: 4:01pm On Apr 26
A round of applause for Tinubu's administration. Useless people

1 Like

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Fujiyama: 4:37pm On Apr 26
Mayflowa:
Secondly, multinationals try to equalize wages among managers, some of whom are expatriate . Can dey pay a worker $80,000 a year? That is over 100m in Nigeria money. And they have thousands of workers in Nigeria. And there are some now collected 250million naira which is just $190, 000 in US. How many products do you need to sell to pay one worker?

^^^
Not to take away from the point you are making but $190k annual wages isn't 'just'.

The average annual wage income in the US is about $60k. If some multinational workers in Nigeria are earning 3 times this amount - that is some serious pay.
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by mmsen: 4:56pm On Apr 26
Good riddance.
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Mayflowa(m): 4:58pm On Apr 26
Fujiyama:

^^^
Not to take away from the point you are making but $190k annual wages isn't 'just'.

The average annual wage income in the US is about $60k. If some multinational workers in Nigeria are earning 3 times this amount - that is some serious pay.

I agree with you. It is not just for average worker myself inclusive. It is “just” for top multinational executives though. The expatriate they have on ground earn way more than $190K. The benefit for expatriates workers are mind boggling. You pay for their home, security, child school plus the annual amount. Expatriate are executives. There CEO will take home $500k - 1M even. I am not executive. Just an engineering mid level guy but get 6 figure. What volume of sales will pay for that one a product is $0.5 - $2. Same product is $10 in US

This is coming down to Naija food. Too many Nigerians abroad consuming Nigeria food. Indomie is constantly exported here and cost more than 40,000 naira per carton. So is yam and garri. Farmers rather export and sale abroad than sell home. What strategy decision would you take if you were a farmer?
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Fujiyama: 5:16pm On Apr 26
Mayflowa:
I agree with you. However the expatriate they have on ground earn way more than $190K. The benefit for expatriates workers are mind boggling. You pay for their home, security, child school plus the annual amount. Expatriate are executives. There CEO will take home $500k - 1M even. I am not executive. Just an engineering mid level guy but get 6 figure. What volume of sales will pay for that one a product is $0.5 - $2. Same product is $10 in US

^^^
This is interesting.

Maybe, just maybe there is some merit to the arguments of those on this thread who are saying - "good riddance". After all, if those senior management positions were held by Nigerians instead, there would be nothing to repatriate to their home countries.

On the other hand...could those saying the departure of these companies is a terrible sign...could they be right?

It would be good if the facts (on whether this country gains or loses overall if multinationals pack up and leave) are laid bare here - instead of the insults and wild speculation currently taking place on this thread. Dunlop packed up and left Nigeria about 16 years ago (Michelin left a year earlier than Dunlop). They actually used to make tyres in Nigeria and were using rubber from plantations in Edo/Delta states as feedstock. To this day, no other tyre maker has replaced them in Nigeria - instead we have become a giant trading bazaar for tyres from all over the world - and no real jobs have been created.

Those who are saying good riddance to PZ should say something about Dunlop (and Michelin) who both left Nigeria years ago. I'm sure some people said then: "Oh, they'll be back. And if they don't come back they will be replaced. They are not the only tyre makers in the world".

Well...its been almost 2 decades and they are still not back...and crucially, no local producer has sprung up to fill the gap. That says a lot.

2 Likes

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by ItswellMike: 5:17pm On Apr 26
Foolish idiot. If multinationals companies cannot survive this harsh economic reality,
entrepreneur like me are only managing .... Many more have shut down
STUPID AFONJAA
chieveboy:
The rise of numerous Nigerian companies with better or competing products contributed to the sales plunge.

Many women now produce soaps from their backyard.

This is not bad at all.

Yes I did. They will go look for available local or even international companies to render their services to or setup small-scale factories to that effect, which was how PZ itself started.

Nothing is lost from the macro viewpoint.

2 Likes

Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Fujiyama: 5:39am On Apr 27
Mayflowa:
This is coming down to Naija food. Too many Nigerians abroad consuming Nigeria food.

^^^
I think its actually a good thing if Nigerian farmers are able to lock down food markets in Nigerian diaspora communities. If diaspora Nigerians prefer to eat Nigerian grains exported from Nigeria by Nigerian farmers - this can only be a good thing. Local farmers in Nigeria earn forex, local jobs are preserved, etc.

Mayflowa:
Indomie is constantly exported here and cost more than 40,000 naira per carton. So is yam and garri. Farmers rather export and sale abroad than sell home. What strategy decision would you take if you were a farmer?

^^^
Most farmers would naturally choose to sell for export - they earn much more that way. There's nothing wrong with that - they are responding to economic signals and incentives.
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by civilserva: 5:50am On Apr 27
chieveboy:
The rise of numerous Nigerian companies with better or competing products contributed to the sales plunge.

Many women now produce soaps from their backyard.

This is not bad at all.

Yes I did. They will go look for available local or even international companies to render their services to or setup small-scale factories to that effect, which was how PZ itself started.

Nothing is lost from the macro viewpoint.

Go and face your JAMB exam.
Re: 140-yr-old PZ Cussons Considers Leaving Africa Over Nigeria’s Sales Plunge by Rybnyk(m): 6:29pm On Apr 27
chieveboy:

Someone asked earlier when last you saw "Omo"? Do you not use a different detergent currently ? Or did you die?

And how are the manufacturers of the different detergens faring? We keep talking as if companies leaving are a good thing. If the cost of production is making standard companies to leave Nigeria,what do you think will happen to the young man or lady that wants to start his or her own detergent business? Let's

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Teaming To Raise Business Capital Worth Millions For Many. / Emefiele Accuses Nigerian Business Moguls Of Using Illegal Markets (Video) / 4 Lessons Entrepreneurs Should Learn From Dangote’s Bloomberg Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.