Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Should I Be Regretting This? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Be Regretting This? (2117 Views)

Regretting My Marriage. / Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. / We Confessed To Each Other, Should I Be Worried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Mineisgrace(f): 3:02pm On Apr 26
The two of you are still young and inexperienced
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UjuJoan2: 3:15pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
Good day nairalanders. So this is a true story of my life and i am currently having mixed feelings maybe your comments will make me have a peace of mind (Hopefully)

Back then in school (IMSU) I had this roommate called Juliet ( not real name). For those who attended IMSU you will know that Hookup was full blown even before other Universities got acquainted with it. I look at Young girls doing it now and i just smile.

Anyways back to the story, this roommate of mine never lacked anything. Was it groceries, expensive hair, Phones, laptops etc , you name it. And this girl was from a poor background. I know her parents.

Rich Guys have rented very expensive apartments for her more than three times but she still chose to be roommates with me so as to chop their money and have savings.

I know you guys will be expecting a sad ending for her but this is not Nollywood. Presently she visits countries around the world like Dubai, Paris, London, LA , New York, Greece etc like breeze. I saw this girls posts and story on Instagram and couldn't believe my eyes.

However me back then was hoping on love and was dating a broke guy back then who later got me pregnant and i was refusing advances from very rich older men as an understanding girlfriend and wife to be ( foolish me) . Doing all the chores for this boy who later dumped me and the child as soon as he graduated and moved overseas. Since we graduated, this guy has never asked of my welfare nor sent a kobo to me for the upkeep of our "daughter".

Right now even to feed is a difficulty not to talk of accomodations.

So Nairaland people was i foolish to believe in Love at the expenses of a good life?

Thanks for reading this far.

I will really appreciate your responses. God bless

I still have a lot of info but let me stop here for now.

Blame yourself for your bad choices.

Why do girls think their success has to come from men?

Do you know how many countries I’ve visited, all on my own? No sugar daddy funding my trip? Even my husband has not travelled as much as I have.

I chose not to do hook up in the university, I had a boyfriend. But after school we both went out way and I went ahead to have an amazing career and life. I can beat my chest and say that NO MAN contributed to my success in life, and I am so proud of myself.

Do you think my school boyfriend didn’t want to trap me with pregnancy? He even proposed marriage to me but wouldn’t wait for me to find my path first, so I left him because I didn’t want to rely on a man all my life.

You might think your friend is having fun, but you don’t know what she does to get her money. I’ve seen videos of girls eating poo, sleeping with animals, engaging in disgusting s3xual acts. At your age you should know that social media is all lies.

Focus on yourself and cater for your daughter. Stop allowing yourself to get distracted!!!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Sapasenator: 3:20pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

Do you know how many countries I’ve visited, all on my own? No sugar daddy funding my trip? Even my husband has not travelled as much as I have.

I chose not to do hook up in the university, I had a boyfriend. But after school we both went out way and I went ahead to have an amazing career and life. I can beat my chest and say that NO MAN contributed to my success in life, and I am so proud of myself.

Do you think my school boyfriend didn’t want to trap me with pregnancy? He even proposed marriage to me but wouldn’t wait for me to find my path first, so I left him because I didn’t want to rely on a man all my life.

You might think your friend is having fun, but you don’t know what she does to get her money. I’ve seen videos of girls eating poo, sleeping with animals, engaging in disgusting s3xual acts. At your age you should know that social media is all lies.

Focus on yourself and cater for your daughter. Stop allowing yourself to get distracted!!!

Why should we believe you? It's a faceless forum and people make bogus claims all the time.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 3:28pm On Apr 26
Sapasenator:

Why the insult?
Why will he be calling me lazy and without focus? Does he know me or live with me?
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 3:40pm On Apr 26
Sapasenator:
The world has changed a lot and you need to be real smart to get to the top.

Love is just a fleeting emotion akin to jealousy and hate, it may come and go and not enough to sustain a relationship in the long run.

I have seen good ladies who kept themselves, good Christians, married as virgins to follow Christian's, two of them are divorced now and had horrible marriages.

That you kept yourself and look for love may mean nothing in the long run.

I have seen ladies who were run girls in the school, slept with different people who are today very successful with even great marriages as we speak. They are fulfilled and living happily.

So life is not black and white and you have made the following mistakes;

1. You dated a broke student.
2. You got pregnant for him.
3. You refused to do hookup on the process.

You should have done it when you were young and fresh expecially if you are from a poor home with no support system.

You made a big mistake in school my dear, hookup is not all about sex, it's also about getting connected to move on to the next stage in life in an environment like Nigeria. Love is just a mere emotional feeling that comes and goes.

I am a man who has studied the world carefully and will give you a pragmatic advice by telling you that you made a very big mistake.

Try your best to succeed in life and if you can break a few rules without getting caught, do it.

Also you said this in one of your post

"I'm separated from my partner ( My daughters Dad) because of his gambling problem and many other things too numerous to mention"

Now, he is abroad and no longer an habitual gambler.

I suspect that boy also does YAHOO and other illegal stuff but I just lock up. Any way he is past tense and I'm all about giving my daughter the best of training rich or poor by the grace of God.

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

Love is officially dead
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by antidisestablis: 3:42pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
Good day nairalanders. So this is a true story of my life and i am currently having mixed feelings maybe your comments will make me have a peace of mind (Hopefully)

Back then in school (IMSU) I had this roommate called Juliet ( not real name). For those who attended IMSU you will know that Hookup was full blown even before other Universities got acquainted with it. I look at Young girls doing it now and i just smile.

Anyways back to the story, this roommate of mine never lacked anything. Was it groceries, expensive hair, Phones, laptops etc , you name it. And this girl was from a poor background. I know her parents.

Rich Guys have rented very expensive apartments for her more than three times but she still chose to be roommates with me so as to chop their money and have savings.

I know you guys will be expecting a sad ending for her but this is not Nollywood. Presently she visits countries around the world like Dubai, Paris, London, LA , New York, Greece etc like breeze. I saw this girls posts and story on Instagram and couldn't believe my eyes.

However me back then was hoping on love and was dating a broke guy back then who later got me pregnant and i was refusing advances from very rich older men as an understanding girlfriend and wife to be ( foolish me) . Doing all the chores for this boy who later dumped me and the child as soon as he graduated and moved overseas. Since we graduated, this guy has never asked of my welfare nor sent a kobo to me for the upkeep of our "daughter".

Right now even to feed is a difficulty not to talk of accomodations.

So Nairaland people was i foolish to believe in Love at the expenses of a good life?

Thanks for reading this far.

I will really appreciate your responses. God bless

I still have a lot of info but let me stop here for now.
My dear, you have to take responsibility for your action. Premarital sex is not just a sin but a destroyer of destiny. Believes in love is good, but you have to wait for the man to pay your bride price and do it at the right time. As for your friend never envy anyone in life, you don't know what they are passing through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by JONSYN7154: 3:44pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
Thanks very much. I appreciate
Can I tell you something?

Your husband who reside out of the shores of this country looking for you to marry and take you out of this country.

You destiny is bright that's why Satan is bringing this thought of regret to you now. The moment you miss it now, you have missed it forever.

Stand firm because "at the break of dawn the night 🌙 becomes darker"

God loves ❤️ you.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 3:44pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

I never crave for perfection from anyone because nobody is perfect except Jesus. I have learnt from my mistakes but i learnt the hard way and have become wiser.

You are also not above mistakes or perfect. Are you?

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Sapasenator: 3:55pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
I suspect that boy also does YAHOO and other illegal stuff but I just lock up. Any way he is past tense and I'm all about giving my daughter the best of training rich or poor by the grace of God.

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

Love is officially dead

Also you have to be careful not to regret too much about the past.
Regret is a negative emotion that will not allow you move forward.

For me, I seldom regret, I learn quickly from the past and move on. You need to have a solid plan for today and the future. You will need support from families, friends and your community.

Also this is 2024, you can learn a new digital skill and make money online. Academic qualifications are a tad bit overrated and does not provide any skill to survive in real life.

Also, it's not too late to learn a trade as your location does not have many lucrative jobs available.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by shortgun(m): 4:05pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
So "Love" really doesn't exist at the end of the day.

Thanks for the comment and i have learnt the hard way indeed.
Love exists!
Where many miss it is in compatibility, love without compatibility is bound to be full of struggles, endless messy conflicts and ultimately separation.
A woman who's an introvert should avoid a man who lives his life for the party.
A man who has high libido should stay away from a woman who will ask him "is sex food?"

Truth is that after all said n done, no man runs away from a good woman and no woman runs away from a good man if they are compatible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UnfairLife7(m): 4:12pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

i applaud you for all your achievement. But you need to know that we all have different path to success. Some girls escape poverty through marriage. Some can escape poverty through education where they had outstanding results in their first degree and they got scholarship for their masters and PhD abroad. While some escape poverty by themselves through salary work or business

I personally do not see a crime in a girl saying she wouldn't settle for less. We men obviously do not marry for love. We're selfish when it comes to chosing our life partner. We can even go as far as impregnating her just to hook or tie her down to ourselves. Women needs to be intentional in their choice of partner. If you as a woman chose to be with a poor guy because you believe nobody knows tomorrow then I'm telling you for free that he's likely to remain poor till eternity. Ask yourself this simple question. How many poor men or poor family in Nigeria later become rich or comfortable? Very few. And who told you that your partner will be among the few ones?

This is 2024, women should wiseup

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 7:18pm On Apr 26
shortgun:

Love exists!
Where many miss it is in compatibility, love without compatibility is bound to be full of struggles, endless messy conflicts and ultimately separation.
A woman who's an introvert should avoid a man who lives his life for the party.
A man who has high libido should stay away from a woman who will ask him "is sex food?"

Truth is that after all said n done, no man runs away from a good woman and no woman runs away from a good man if they are compatible.

Honestly love may exists anywhere else but definitely not Nigeria. I give up sad
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UjuJoan2: 7:21pm On Apr 26
UnfairLife7:
i applaud you for all your achievement. But you need to know that we all have different path to success. Some girls escape poverty through marriage. Some can escape poverty through education where they had outstanding results in their first degree and they got scholarship for their masters and PhD abroad. While some escape poverty by themselves through salary work or business

I personally do not see a crime in a girl saying she wouldn't settle for less. We men obviously do not marry for love. We're selfish when it comes to chosing our life partner. We can even go as far as impregnating her just to hook or tie her down to ourselves. Women needs to be intentional in their choice of partner. If you as a woman chose to be with a poor guy because you believe nobody knows tomorrow then I'm telling you for free that he's likely to remain poor till eternity. Ask yourself this simple question. How many poor men or poor family in Nigeria later become rich or comfortable? Very few. And who told you that your partner will be among the few ones?

This is 2024, women should wiseup

Are you married? Do you have daughters? Will you raise your daughters to escape poverty through marriage?

What if the man dies, what if he loses his job, what if he losses his wealth

I was not raised to believe that a man can make me into what/who I will be. I was raised to fight for what I desire and relying on people is not an option. This is how I will raise my daughters too.

I am one of the people who believe poor people are lazy, proud and natural mediocres. It’s a different thing if you are starting life and investing in yourself, but if you are over 30-35 and have no direction in life, my dear, you have lost your way. And this applies to both men and women.

I graduated with a second class upper, but when my mates were flexing and dating men, I was working as a server in a restaurant. I learnt skill and made plans to start up a business, before I got a good job and towed the white collar path. Even now, if I lose my job, I won’t bother because I have real skills that I can convert to cash, and I’m not ashamed to use them.

I knew guys who lived in big houses, drive big cars, marrying fine babes, most of them funded by their parents. 20 years down the line, people like us without generational wealth are doing far better.

Since I joined this forum in 2007 I’ve always condemned poor men. Not because of what I can gain from a wealthy spouse, but because I don’t want a deadweight in my life. . . Or a gold digger for that matter. Even when I had nothing, I was still selective, because I knew I would make it in life.

My Uni boyfriend was a UK citizen and offered me an “easy” way out of hardship (straight to UK as his wife where he had a job already waiting for him), I turned it down because I wanted to my success to be my own. I cannot put my life and my future in the hands of any human being. Even though my dad just passed and my future looked bleak, I believed in myself enough to know that I had what it takes to achieve the best for myself. He told me I will regret it, but that was because he didn’t believe in me. Thank God I believed in myself enough.

And this is how I will raise my daughters. Don’t settle for less, but also, don’t depend on any man.

PS: I know a LOT of first generation wealthy people. I’m not from an extremely wealth family, my dad died in my final year in uni, the things I give my kids now I never got from my parents.

If you decide to marry a lazy and mediocre man in the name of love, when you yourself are broke, you have yourself to blame as a woman. But if you meet an industrious and hardworking man, nothing wrong in growing with him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 7:22pm On Apr 26
Sapasenator:

Also you have to be careful not to regret too much about the past.
Regret is a negative emotion that will not allow you move forward.

For me, I seldom regret, I learn quickly from the past and move on. You need to have a solid plan for today and the future. You will need support from families, friends and your community.

Also this is 2024, you can learn a new digital skill and make money online. Academic qualifications are a tad bit overrated and does not provide any skill to survive in real life.

Also, it's not too late to learn a trade as your location does not have many lucrative jobs available.
Thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement and advice. God bless you real good.

But sadly, I can't leave Imo state at the moment cos my mum is not too strong. She needs me around for now.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UjuJoan2: 7:31pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
I never crave for perfection from anyone because nobody is perfect except Jesus. I have learnt from my mistakes but i learnt the hard way and have become wiser.

You are also not above mistakes or perfect. Are you?

You’ve not learnt from your mistakes, otherwise you will not be comparing yourself to a hook up girl.

You are raising a daughter for God’s sake, is this what you are planning to teach her?

Nobody is above mistakes, but expecting people to pity you because you made a mistake is irresponsible.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by ThothHermes: 7:39pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
Who told you i didn't focus on my books? I graduated with a strong second class upper since 2020 and haven't been able to secure a job since then. Even posted about my predicament here on NL. So what gives?.

Your first paragraph is very hypocritical to be honest!
Can't you get in touch with her for assistance. Or were you judging her life choices then?
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Pootle: 7:48pm On Apr 26
Namaster:
Both of you were DUMB!

If you are old enough to fuuuck, you are old enough to use condoms.

Also, it's not too late for you if hook up is what you want to do. Majority of hookup girls are single mothers.

Dust you pants and hawk that ass. grin

advise of the decade
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 7:49pm On Apr 26
ThothHermes:
Can't you get in touch with her for assistance. Or were you judging her life choices then?
No o i cannot ask her for anything as i was a self righteous person back then like soo many nairalanders . As u rightly said I judged her back then.

Honestly sha, I don't have her current international number just the old one which is no longer going.

I sent her a DM on Instagram last year but I'm not even sure she saw it not to talk of replying.

She has more than 100k followers on Instagram right now!

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by ThothHermes: 8:14pm On Apr 26
Moshybear:
No o i cannot ask her for anything as i was a self righteous person back then like soo many nairalanders . As u rightly said I judged her back then .

Honestly sha, I don't have her current international number just the old one which is no longer going.

I sent her a DM on Instagram last year but I'm not even sure she saw it not to talk of replying.

She has more than 100k followers on Instagram right now!
Oh.
Sorry. grin grin
Life doesn't always go in a straight line. Sometimes, people who say "damn it" to life and take what others call crazy risks get the best outcomes.
Hope you find something positive soon.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UnfairLife7(m): 8:21pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

Are you married? Do you have daughters? Will you raise your daughters to escape poverty through marriage?

I was not raised to believe that a man can make me into what/who I will be. I was raised to fight for what I desire and relying on people is not an option. This is how I will raise my daughters too.

I am one of the people who believe poor people are lazy, proud and natural mediocres. It’s a different thing if you are starting life and investing in yourself, but if you are over 30-35 and have no direction in life, my dear, you have lost your way. And this applies to both men and women.

I graduated with a second class upper, but when my mates were flexing and dating men, I was working as a server in a restaurant. I learnt skill and made plans to start up a business, before I got a good job and towed the white collar path. Even now, if I lose my job, I won’t bother because I have real skills that I can convert to cash, and I’m not ashamed to use them.

I knew guys who lived in big houses, drive big cars, marrying fine babes, most of them funded by their parents. 20 years down the line, people like us without generational wealth are doing far better.

Since I joined this forum in 2007 I’ve always condemned poor men. Not because of what I can gain from a wealthy spouse, but because I don’t want a deadweight in my life. . . Or a gold digger for that matter. Even when I had nothing, I was still selective, because I knew I would make it in life.

My Uni boyfriend was a UK citizen and offered me an “easy” way out of hardship (straight to UK as his wife where he had a job already waiting for him), I turned it down because I wanted to my success to be my own. I cannot put my life and my future in the hands of any human being. Even though my dad just passed and my future looked bleak, I believed in myself enough to know that I had what it takes to achieve the best for myself. He told me I will regret it, but that was because he didn’t believe in me. Thank God I believed in myself enough.

And this is how I will raise my daughters. Don’t settle for less, but also, don’t depend on any man.

PS: I know a LOT of first generation wealthy people. I’m not from an extremely wealth family, my dad died in my final year in uni, the things I give my kids now I never got from my parents.

If you decide to marry a lazy and mediocre man in the name of love, when you yourself are broke, you have yourself to blame as a woman. But if you meet an industrious and hardworking man, nothing wrong in growing with him.
like i said earlier, there's absolutely nothing wrong in escaping poverty through marriage as a lady. I know of a particular family that struggle to feed. They're poor obviously but the man and the children strive hard to put food on their table. The man lost his wife to breast cancer and his last son to little illness due to lack of money. The first daughter struggle and graduated from school. During her youth service year she met a guy who's a Canadian citizen. He came to Nigeria for an important thing that was how they met and he prophecy love to her. A year after her service they got married and she moved to Canada. This year make it 14 years she's married to this guy. They had 3 lovely kids two boys and a girl that are Canadian citizen. She studied biochemistry in Nigeria in her first degree but later switched career and study nursing. She's now a nurse in Canada. Her immediate younger brother studied engineering in Nigeria and to the glory of God he's now in Canada. He left last year through PR courtsey her sister. The last child a girl is in University studying law. Her widower father refused to remarry after almost 20 years he lost his wife. He said the success of his children is all that matter to him. Their success is his companion not woman.

This lady in question was married a virgin at 24. A virtue most Nigerian girls lack. So would you advise the poor girl to reject the guy because she wants to claim a super woman? She wasn't sleeping around or keeping school boyfriend like most Nigerian girls indulge in school. She was a virtous woman, hardworking because she stood with her father and siblings. She was like a mother to them. She has every reason to sleep around or probably keep a boyfriend in school like we know it's the norms amongst Nigerian girls.

The fact that you work for every penny you had, successful and didn't depend on a man's wealth doesn't make you better than her. Everybody success story can never be the same. Likewise everyone failure story can also not be the same. Tinubu contested for the presidency and he got it at first attempt even though we all know it was rigged while Buhari contested four times or thereabouts before he got it but at the long run both of them are successful and they are both president of Nigeria.

Provided you're not sleeping around as a lady, provided you're not idling your time or being lazy as a lady. I personally don't see a crime if you meet a rich or comfortable guy with legal source of income and he seek your hand in marriage, i see no crime in it accepting his proposal. The fact that you rejected your guy with British passport doesn't make you better, superior or Super woman than the lady that accept the guy with Canadian passport.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Gerrard59(m): 9:03pm On Apr 26
Sapasenator:
The world has changed a lot and you need to be real smart to get to the top.

Love is just a fleeting emotion akin to jealousy and hate, it may come and go and not enough to sustain a relationship in the long run.

I have seen good ladies who kept themselves, good Christians, married as virgins to follow Christian's, two of them are divorced now and had horrible marriages.

That you kept yourself and look for love may mean nothing in the long run.

I have seen ladies who were run girls in the school, slept with different people who are today very successful with even great marriages as we speak. They are fulfilled and living happily.

So life is not black and white and you have made the following mistakes;

1. You dated a broke student.
2. You got pregnant for him.
3. You refused to do hookup on the process.

You should have done it when you were young and fresh expecially if you are from a poor home with no support system.

You made a big mistake in school my dear, hookup is not all about sex, it's also about getting connected to move on to the next stage in life in an environment like Nigeria. Love is just a mere emotional feeling that comes and goes.

I am a man who has studied the world carefully and will give you a pragmatic advice by telling you that you made a very big mistake.

Try your best to succeed in life and if you can break a few rules without getting caught, do it.

Also you said this in one of your post

"I'm separated from my partner ( My daughters Dad) because of his gambling problem and many other things too numerous to mention"

Now, he is abroad and no longer an habitual gambler.

Truly, life has no manual. It might come across as immoral, but for a lady who comes from a poor family, if you don't study a math based course but you are beautiful and friends with girls who do hook up, you might as well learn their strategies and do it to get capital. Most would not tell you, but some folks get favours from their well-to-do sugar daddies to succeed. It is how you manage it that matters. Don't be the unstrategic ones by following small small boys. You need to learn mistakes others make, but adopt winning strategies others did.

But most importantly, as a young girl from a poor family, try not to get a child outside marriage. You would be severely disadvantaged. That was your greatest mistake, and not the hookup aspect or even no good job.

Quite unfortunate things that happen in Nigeria; low trust society that is poor is a double whammy.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 9:11pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

You’ve not learnt from your mistakes, otherwise you will not be comparing yourself to a hook up girl.

You are raising a daughter for God’s sake, is this what you are planning to teach her?

Nobody is above mistakes, but expecting people to pity you because you made a mistake is irresponsible.
Okay i have heard you.. thanks for the advice. As for my daughter, I'm training her in the ways of the Lord grin grin

But a father figure is still needed anyway. God made it so but I'm trying my possible best as her mum and Dad.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Gerrard59(m): 9:14pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

This is a reality in most parts of the world, especially poorer countries. Whether it is right or wrong does not mean it does not happen.

While that is a bit harsh - I say this as someone who held that belief - the presence of the Internet has democratised means of generating legitimate income.

I want to assume you were in your early 20s. 2007 - 2015 was a glorious period in Nigeria's economic development. Jobs were plentiful. In fact, Nairaland had at least two graduate trainee recruitment threads on the front page daily. However, when the incompetent feudalist by the name of Buhari became president, things got worse. Before then, even second-generation British-Nigerians were returning to the country as economic growth was high, and security was pretty manageable (Jonathan hired mercenaries to fight Boko Haram head-on).

The situation in the country has gotten far worse, economically and security wise.

Agreed. Fair deal.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Sapasenator: 9:17pm On Apr 26
Gerrard59:

Truly, life has no manual. It might come across as immoral, but for a lady who comes from a poor family, if you don't study a math based course but you are beautiful and friends with girls who do hook up, you might as well learn their strategies and do it to get capital. Most would not tell you, but some folks get favours from their well-to-do sugar daddies to succeed. It is how you manage it that matters. Don't be the unstrategic ones by following small small boys. You need to learn mistakes others make, but adopt winning strategies others did.

But most importantly, as a young girl from a poor family, try not to get a child outside marriage. You would be severely disadvantaged. That was your greatest mistake, and not the hookup aspect or even no good job.

Quite unfortunate things that happen in Nigeria; low trust society that is poor is a double whammy.

I totally agree with you.

In the absence of any alternative or help, hook up to raise capital is a viable alternative instead of giving it for free and when eventually successful, you can give testimonies of how God came true for you.

My motto is to use what you have to get what you want and when you get to the top, you can preach morality.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 9:17pm On Apr 26
Onyedikachi231:

OK. But you never start to dey regret and suffer, more on the way if you continue on this pedestal.

Truth is bitter but must be said irrespective.
Good news is that you are not my God and will never be. Abeg rest undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Gerrard59(m): 9:26pm On Apr 26
Sapasenator:

I totally agree with you.

In the absence of any alternative or help, hook up to raise capital is a viable alternative instead of giving it for free and when eventually successful, you can give testimonies of how God came true for you.

My motto is to use what you have to get what you want and when you get to the top, you can preach morality.

That is dishonesty. Preaching morality should be left to those who were moral in their dealings. Those who engaged in immoral acts should be clear on what they did. If you did hook up, state it clearly and explain the circumstances behind it. Don't lie.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Moshybear(f): 9:54pm On Apr 26
ThothHermes:
Oh.
Sorry. grin grin
Life doesn't always go in a straight line. Sometimes, people who say "damn it" to life and take what others call crazy risks get the best outcomes.
Hope you find something positive soon.
Thanks alot for your understanding.

God bless.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UjuJoan2: 10:35pm On Apr 26
UnfairLife7:
like i said earlier, there's absolutely nothing wrong in escaping poverty through marriage as a lady. I know of a particular family that struggle to feed. They're poor obviously but the man and the children strive hard to put food on their table. The man lost his wife to breast cancer and his last son to little illness due to lack of money. The first daughter struggle and graduated from school. During her youth service year she met a guy who's a Canadian citizen. He came to Nigeria for an important thing that was how they met and he prophecy love to her. A year after her service they got married and she moved to Canada. This year make it 14 years she's married to this guy. They had 3 lovely kids two boys and a girl that are Canadian citizen. She studied biochemistry in Nigeria in her first degree but later switched career and study nursing. She's now a nurse in Canada. Her immediate younger brother studied engineering in Nigeria and to the glory of God he's now in Canada. He left last year through PR courtsey her sister. The last child a girl is in University studying law. Her widower father refused to remarry after almost 20 years he lost his wife. He said the success of his children is all that matter to him. Their success is his companion not woman.

This lady in question was married a virgin at 24. A virtue most Nigerian girls lack. So would you advise the poor girl to reject the guy because she wants to claim a super woman? She wasn't sleeping around or keeping school boyfriend like most Nigerian girls indulge in school. She was a virtous woman, hardworking because she stood with her father and siblings. She was like a mother to them. She has every reason to sleep around or probably keep a boyfriend in school like we know it's the norms amongst Nigerian girls.

The fact that you work for every penny you had, successful and didn't depend on a man's wealth doesn't make you better than her. Everybody success story can never be the same. Likewise everyone failure story can also not be the same. Tinubu contested for the presidency and he got it at first attempt even though we all know it was rigged while Buhari contested four times or thereabouts before he got it but at the long run both of them are successful and they are both president of Nigeria.

Provided you're not sleeping around as a lady, provided you're not idling your time or being lazy as a lady. I personally don't see a crime if you meet a rich or comfortable guy with legal source of income and he seek your hand in marriage, i see no crime in it accepting his proposal. The fact that you rejected your guy with British passport doesn't make you better, superior or Super woman than the lady that accept the guy with Canadian passport.

I will NEVER encourage my daughters to date for money. The difference is that they can walk away when they get treated badly. Money gives you a voice.

You think the fact that a guy married a woman and took her out of poverty is some kind of victory? She should go ahead and marry the man and face whatever abuse he will definitely give her. I’ve seen women married to wealthy men without a penny to their name. I’ve seen a man give the maid money for upkeep because he doesn’t want the wife to get carried away with money. I’ve see a man buy special foodstuffs for himself and separate ones for the wife. The other day a lady posted about how her husband would buy chicken and eat alone and let them go hungry. Imagine the humiliation? When God has given you all it takes to take care of yourself!!!

Only a man will talk the way you are talking, because you know what you stand to gain by having a wife who depends on you for every single thing. Then you can have complete control over here and be free to treat her like a slave.

Only poor people think marriage is a way out of poverty, and that is why they are poor.

I can’t even imagine how degrading it will be for a woman to depend on a man for everything!!! I have never done it and my daughters will never do it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by CaptainJune: 10:39pm On Apr 26
Moshybear, that friend of yours cannot be the standard for right, wrong, and success. God is. Everything that glitters is not gold. You know that. Seek God first. Learn from your mistakes. Never stop moving forward even if you have to crawl. You will be making good progress.
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by UjuJoan2: 10:46pm On Apr 26
Gerrard59:

This is a reality in most parts of the world, especially poorer countries. Whether it is right or wrong does not mean it does not happen.

While that is a bit harsh - I say this as someone who held that belief - the presence of the Internet has democratised means of generating legitimate income.

I want to assume you were in your early 20s. 2007 - 2015 was a glorious period in Nigeria's economic development. Jobs were plentiful. In fact, Nairaland had at least two graduate trainee recruitment threads on the front page daily. However, when the incompetent feudalist by the name of Buhari became president, things got worse. Before then, even second-generation British-Nigerians were returning to the country as economic growth was high, and security was pretty manageable (Jonathan hired mercenaries to fight Boko Haram head-on).

The situation in the country has gotten far worse, economically and security wise.

Agreed. Fair deal.

What would you think I’m in my early 20’s. I’m almost 40 and I’m speaking from experience . I have a teenager at home so do the maths.

I didn’t make money through the internet, I got my first job in 2006, through the old school hustling and God’s grace.

I made a choice a lot of my friends wish they made. Most of my friends who got married for money come to me for hand outs now. Many are planning to leave the marriage once they make sufficient investments!

I rejected early marriage as a means out of poverty and took the hard way out, and today I’m so proud of who I am and what I am.

Based on my experience, the path I took is batter off!!

I don’t know if you making this argument to keep deceiving young girls into becoming semi-slaves in the name of financial freedom. I know for a fact that it NEVER works out.

Are you seriously trying to convince me that a woman marrying for money has ANY advantage? Aside from temporary relief? In the long run it always backfires. I have never seen it work out, except in cases where they both started out with humble beginnings!!!

I drive a car my husband bought, but I’m happier knowing I can afford to buy any car I like and he knows it. Do you think he can ever ask me to drop the keys to that car for ANY reason? I’ve seen that happen to women who are beautiful and smart, all because they thought marrying for money was a way out!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Dream25: 10:51pm On Apr 26
UnfairLife7:

The only nonsense you wrote is saying Tinubu rigged 2023 presidential election..
Re: Should I Be Regretting This? by Gerrard59(m): 11:06pm On Apr 26
UjuJoan2:

What would you think I’m in my early 20’s. I’m almost 40 and I’m speaking from experience . I have a teenager at home so do the maths.

Apparently, you joined Nairaland in your mid-20s. My point is that period was a glorious one in Nigeria's economic history. That period cannot and shouldn't be compared to 2015 - present.

I don’t know if you making this argument to keep deceiving young girls into becoming semi-slaves in the name of financial freedom. I know for a fact that it NEVER works out.

I am not making any argument. People have the right to choose. I am stating that ladies marry out of poverty. It happens, that is my point.

Are you seriously trying to convince me that a woman marrying for money has ANY advantage? Aside from temporary relief? In the long run it always backfires. I have never seen it work out, except in cases where they both started out with humble beginnings!!!

Why not? It has its advantages.

I drive a car my husband bought, but I’m happier knowing I can afford to buy any car I like and he knows it. Do you think he can ever ask me to drop the keys to that car for ANY reason? I’ve seen that happen to women who are beautiful and smart, all because they thought marrying for money was a way out!!

While this is true, cases of it being positive also exists. There are good and bad people everywhere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Do You Love Most: Your Mom Or Dad? / My Brothers Wife Refused To Put Meat For Me / He Practically Changed After I Got Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.