Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport (8489 Views)

Arik Air Delays Passengers For 6Hours At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / Arik London Flight Declares Emergency At Heathrow Airport / Lagos-Bound Train From Ogun Hits Truck (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by obinna222: 7:29am On Nov 20, 2011
Arik Air has done it again. 

On saturday 19th November 2011, our flight was delayed at heathrow airport for about 6 hours.  This is a national embarrassment.  How do you then expect us as Nigerians to patronize our own local airlines. SMH

Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by dnative(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2011
could this be connected to the reported poor weather where over 160 flights had to be cancelled?

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/58028/heavy-fog-envelopes-london-air.asp?unit=c
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by obinna222: 10:41pm On Nov 20, 2011
it had nothing to do with the weather as all other airlines were flying.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2011
chaircover:

LOL on your way back from Lagos, you had better be prepared to be tossed into a boiling plane & sit on the tarmac without any AC for half an hour. You will sweat like a Christmas goat, so make sure that your vest is clean cos you will be removing your shirt grin

From what I gather they dont turn on the engines which in turn powers the AC until they are just about to depart. Some people say is it because they want to conserve fuel, some people say that it is because the air conditioning system is malfunctioning & cannot work independently of the engines. What I did gather though is that this has been happening for a while.

Also Remember to take your own entertainment with you (laptop, Ipad, Ipod, books and magazines) too because there is no entertainment system on board.

Now I know why there were no oyinbos on our way out and only 2 on our way back and the 2 were not even "original" oyinbos LOL. We try to be patriotic but we are constantly kicked in the teeth.

As for me, Ive decided to forget the 30kg allowance and travel with half decent airlines in future.

Good luck on your return flight.
Arrant nonsense! They reasons stated above smacks of someone who have little or no knowledge of aircraft designs and operations. You do not use the Engines to power the on-board cooling systems when you are on the tarmac! You use the APUs and you can not use the engine to cool your aircraft JUST before departure. You only 'BLEED' air from the engine for cooling in-flight. It is NOT normal to bleed air from the engine when on the tarmac even though it does happen. Just to add, engines are turned on well before departure for standard 'engine start up and departure procedures'.

Your reasons as started that they want to save fuel is complete tosh! Aircraft have what we call FUEL BURN weight which is a most for aircrafts to ground handling control and stability during taking especially on the A340-500.

So the 'oyinbos' are now the standards to know if an airline is good or bad? How many 'oyinbos' do you find on Emirates, Qatar air yet are these airlines not the pacesetters? I think some of us are still suffering from the mental injury of self degeneration the Brits dished out to us!

No one is saying Arik hasn't got issues to sort out, but I think some of us are trying so hard to paint them even 'darker' than the devil whereas if same had happened with other airlines especially those owned by the Europeans hadly do we speak out.

I remember when I was in T2 at Heathrow and a couple of Nigerians rushed down to Arik stand to try and book tickets 'cos British Airways connected them from Manchester but their flight was delayed for over 2Hrs and they missed the connecting flight from T5 to Lagos. BA told them to wait till next morning when they would be sorted out and they barely could utter a word. And I thought if this was Arik, they would be shouting high heavens.

@ Poster, do your checks very well and understand why you flight was delayed by Arik for 6 hours as claimed. Or did Arik not give you reasons for the delay?
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2011
chaircover:

You are right o! I dont know jack about aeroplanes and I was only going by what their own staff including the captain said regarding the engines and air conditioning.

If you know me well, you will know that I give almost all the airlines a long rope to pull. Why? because we all have bad hair days and even the emirates that everyone goes on about will on occasion dish out shoddy service and delays.

In this case, there seems to be a lot of ongoing issues with ARIK. The air conditioning problem according to what the other passengers sitting around me said has been on for a while, so has the lack of a working entertainment system.

As for being mentally washed by oyinbos or whatever you call it makes me smile cos very few people in my situation are as core Naija as I am.

Many of the oyinbo peeps are on business trips and their tickets are paid for by their companies. It is the companies responsibility to ensure that their staff are safe and have a reasonable level of comfort and whether you like to accept it or not that is a marker. The company I work for immediately change suppliers if they feel that the staff are not being given a good service. Its as simple as that.

I have traveled on all the airlines that do the Lagos - London route except Marok and Afryique and[b] I can hand on heart tell you that the ARIK experience was the worst of them all, but that is just my own personal opinion which I am allowed to view.[/b]
At bolded, did you really mean that?, have you flown Iberia to LHR? You know they have a code share with BA and are part of the BA owners' group? As for the business thingy, whilst I agree much to what you said, again, I think much of that boils down to the deals they company cut with the particular airliner.

Yes Arik air have issues, and thier in-flight entertainment system does work but occassionally it doesn't but that is not to say the are as bad as some people paint them. I flew them from LHR to LOS, in flight was working in some section of the aircraft while others it wasn't.

I really would doubt a pilot would assert that they do not put on the engines for cooling while on tarmac to save fuel! Really, if only you knew how much fuel burns takes place while taxiing! Like I said earlier, the APUs are used when on tarmac most times but sometimes when you do engine run up, you have to check for ALL systems update on the CADMU and cooling will have to be checked too.

Some of us that know that Arik air kingfisher A340-500 very well understand why there are issues with thier cooling and in-flight entertainment systems and really they have nothing to do with any of those you gave.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by UyiIredia(m): 1:53pm On Nov 21, 2011
too bad
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by queensmith: 2:00pm On Nov 21, 2011
Right, this is where I can genuinely say we shouldnt be soo quick to sacrifice Nigerians even though thier services are generally poor useless and unhelpful.

Recent events show us that Nigerian Airlines have been boycotted since Heathrow have cut thier landing Bays from 21 to 7. This will be the reason why the airlines have had to keep passengers waiting whilst others fly freely. Arik has still tried its best to ensure Nigerians get cheap services when wanting to fly to Nigeria. I really do empathise with them in this situation, if they only get soo much support what can they do?
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by nikkygal(f): 2:16pm On Nov 21, 2011
@ Omo Tier 1

I have to agree with Chaircover on this one that in recent times, Arik have been boarding their passengers into hot boiling planes,

I've not flown with them on their LOS-LHR route but on their local flights, LOS-PHC, to be precise, I have encountered this more than 5 times in the last 2months, We are always boarded into an extremely hot plane with excuses about a faulty a/c even though most pple say they are trying to conserve fuel.

You need to understand the magnitude of the heat in question here! With a fully packed plane of about 130 pple! OMG! Terrible! Infact on one of those flights (an early morning flight to PH), they confirmed that the plane just arrived from LHR that morning. So you can just imagine,

They might have challenges but TBH, I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

My 2cents!
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Arrant nonsense! They reasons stated above smacks of someone who have little or no knowledge of aircraft designs and operations. You do not use the Engines to power the on-board cooling systems when you are on the tarmac! You use the APUs and you can not use the engine to cool your aircraft JUST before departure. You only 'BLEED' air from the engine for cooling in-flight. It is NOT normal to bleed air from the engine when on the tarmac even though it does happen. Just to add, engines are turned on well before departure for standard 'engine start up and departure procedures'.

Your reasons as started that they want to save fuel is complete tosh! Aircraft have what we call FUEL BURN weight which is a most for aircrafts to ground handling control and stability during taking especially on the A340-500.

So the 'oyinbos' are now the standards to know if an airline is good or bad? How many 'oyinbos' do you find on Emirates, Qatar air yet are these airlines not the pacesetters? I think some of us are still suffering from the mental injury of self degeneration the Brits dished out to us!

No one is saying Arik hasn't got issues to sort out, but I think some of us are trying so hard to paint them even 'darker' than the devil whereas if same had happened with other airlines especially those owned by the Europeans hadly do we speak out.

I remember when I was in T2 at Heathrow and a couple of Nigerians rushed down to Arik stand to try and book tickets 'cos British Airways connected them from Manchester but their flight was delayed for over 2Hrs and they missed the connecting flight from T5 to Lagos. BA told them to wait till next morning when they would be sorted out and they barely could utter a word. And I thought if this was Arik, they would be shouting high heavens.

@ Poster, do your checks very well and understand why you flight was delayed by Arik  for 6 hours as claimed. Or did Arik not give you reasons for the delay?

Are u a pilot?  cool

@ Topic, there must be a reason for that
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2011
nikkygal:

@ Omo Tier 1

I have to agree with Chaircover on this one that in recent times, Arik have been boarding their passengers into hot boiling planes,

I've not flown with them on their LOS-LHR route but on their local flights, LOS-PHC, to be precise, I have encountered this more than 5 times in the last 2months, We are always boarded into an extremely hot plane with excuses about a faulty a/c even though most pple say they are trying to conserve fuel.

You need to understand the magnitude of the heat in question here! With a fully packed plane of about 130 pple! OMG! Terrible! Infact on one of those flights (an early morning flight to PH), they confirmed that the plane just arrived from LHR that morning. So you can just imagine,

They might have challenges but TBH, I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

My 2cents!

They are doing that to avoid increase in Airfare by trying to conserve fuel, u dont wanna know how much jetfuel is , and the taxes they pay per landing or parking, not their faulth but FG
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by mbulela: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2011
Nigerian consumers must learn to vote with their pockets.
That is the only thing businesses understand.
There is no need complaining and still going to buy their tickets for your next flight.
unless you are a trader, try and manage the baggage allowance of other airlines.
I see no point travelling in guaranteed discomfort for an international flight. for a local flight i might manage it but out of the country, count me out.
why use an airline where you are guaranteed poor service and malfunctioning equipment 9 times out of 10 when you can use one where you are guaranteed good service and working infrastructure 8/10?
I don't practise patrotism with my comfort and certainly not from my pocket.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by babsmii(m): 3:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
LOS-ABV experience with Arik wasnt a bad one. the AC was working fine several minutes on the tarmac before departure and the hostesses are hot except one with scary eyeballs lipsrsealed
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by ignis: 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
Only in naija
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by omar22(m): 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2011
[size=28pt]ITS THE FOG[/size]

Hundreds of fight were delayed, A lot were CANCELLED (over 70 flights)
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 4:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
odiaero:

Are u a pilot?  cool

@ Topic, there must be a reason for that
I guess there are better people that know better things about the freaky birds with static wings than those pilots that go about cramming all the stuff we have cracked our heads to put togather cool cool
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by omar22(m): 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
On my last BA trip, the entertainment didn't work too on half the plane

You could claim close to 25% of your ticket fee back
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Konnektions146(m): 4:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
i ve really learnt so much from this thread, thanks to Omo-tier and chaircover, but come to think of it, y is ARIJ like this?

I am no fan of Arik Air but i try to be a little patriotic, but they are just not  it, i just wish Aero Contractors has got the capabilities of flying those relatively Long Haul trips,

but lets hope they get better.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 21, 2011
chaircover:

Yes you are right . . I forgot about Iberia. No I haven't contemplated them because I dont fancy a 6 hour stop over.

Now back to the cooling system. I travelled on the 15th Nov so hopefully someone on that flight can bear me witness to this. Before we boarded ARIK staff told us that the crew were stuck in traffic and so the engines cannot be switched on and therefore there will be no airconditiong system when we board.

We were boarded anyway and there was fracas in the plane and people started getting agitated due to the heat and eventually the captain announced an apology and said that the air conditioning will be put on as soon as he starts the engines

Half way through the flight he came on again and apologized, this time saying that there was a malfunction with the airconditioning system and that he had to make a decision of either canceling the flight or boarding us all like that which is a totally different story from what the ARIK ground staff told us.

I was sitting in front of a doctor who told me that he travels every week on ARIK and it is the same excuse/explanation and it maybe be because they were trying to conserve fuel. Like I said I no jack about planes so his explanation may or may not be true/valid, however it doesnt take away the fact that the plane was hot when we boarded and there is some sort of problem somewhere.

On my way out half the entertainment system did not work and on my way back none of the systems worked. BTW no headphones were handed out and no announcement/apology made on the way back but thankfully I was prepared & kept myself busy for the flight.

On my last BA trip, the entertainment didn't work too on half the plane, so I do accept that sometimes these things do break down, however the crew and the captain himself apologized severally. They tried rebooting it twice and in the end they said that they were taking the whole thing offline as it wasn't fair on the passengers who didn't have entertainment. It was a night flight so I wasn't really bothered.

Sometimes it is not the lack of an item but the service. In spite of passengers being so hot and angry, and instead of the crew pacifying the customers & the screaming kids, they proceeded to carry on with their safety drill and some people were shouting them down & refused to listen. At that point I would have imagined that the priority would be to make the customers comfortable and then proceed with the safety drill.

Like I said, this is my own personal experience of the flight and since I dont fly with them everyday, I dont know if this is the norm, but as for me it has put me off. I do try to be patriotic when I can & I am quite rugged but one has to draw the line somewhere. There is no way I will knowingly put my kids on a 6 hour flight knowing that there is a possibility that they wont have any entertainment for the duration.

Dare I ask you the last time that you flew ARIK? cos things may have changed since then

To begin, it might interest you to know that the A340-500 Arik uses on the LOS-LHR route is less than 6years old! That freaky new in terms of Aircraft useful life, fatigue wise  cool

My trip to Nigeria from T2 was with no other than Arik but return shall be Emirates as usual! I DO NOT FLY BA, NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL UNLESS I AM PUT ON FIRST CLASS BY THOSE FREAKY BRITISH CEOS   Same goes with Virgin, flew them on the LOS-LHR before, not again! Guess you wouldn't want to know the average age of BA airframes! Same goes for VAA  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As for engines you keep refering to, I guess they ment the Auxillary Power Unit -APU and not the freaky 110,00lb TRR on that sweet medium narrow rolls called A340! Might interest you to know that Fuel burn for taxing is less than 2% of total fuel carried by the plane, you can pretty much do the number crunching and work out the mass flow rate for a typical taxi from gate to ground roll at V2 ( use TRR model for your calcs.) and then use the cost estimate for jet A1 to get the sense of cost per mile for each fuel burn and probably you would understand why that is very much inlikely to be the reason why they would not have the cooling system on.

Let me also add that most times, stuff like in-flight entertainment systems are the least a pilot would crack his head about during normal start up procedures, that doesn't even cross his mind! TBH if I had my way, I will pull the plug on stuff like in-flight entertainment but yet again, as with aircraft, we only understand things from weight-cost perspective and since they do not weigh much and increase our profit, gosha, we keep them there!

Arik in flight entertainment has been an issue for them for some time 'cos that aircraft was originally pre-configured for king fisher of India by Airbus so you would expect that with the aircraft changing hands and the new owner wanting to up their in-flight entertainment which Arik tried doing, issues are bound to come up. Again, I suspect the aircraft maybe due for a 'C-Check' and Arik have jsut decided to leave the freaky box there till they send the aircraft in for a nude attention by those brown nickers looking dudes  

Some of you complaining about Arik's plane, wish you ever flew with Bellview with their B767 via Monrovia with engine oil smell bled from the pressurization system into the cabin!

Let say this, 'm not doubting your experiences and not have an issue with your opinion, but I  am only asking if really we are giving Arik too much bashing that actually they deserve given that their competitors on that route aint much better by my own opinion. Remember my younger one traveling on Virgin A340 with smelly cabin and cold food served! Mind you this is a morning departure from LOS and you would expect things to work out fine for morning departures when it comes to food and cabin air quality, but oops no way with virgin! Anyways, enough said,

Hvae you had a try with Emirates?, Oh dear a B777-300ER ( change over to LAX) on LOS-DBX and another B777-300LR on DBX-LHR or A380-9 DBX-LHR if you can stay awake till the enxt morning instead of connecting at 3am. Mind you LOS departure is 14.45pm Nigeria time, arrival in dubai is 1.15am , with connection 3.15am, arrival in LHR at 7.45am, sweet combo,
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
Good to know
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by muami(m): 6:43pm On Nov 21, 2011
Its all over the news that fog led to cancellation/long delays of many flights from Heathrow on saturday and sunday.While I agree that Arik's Air still has a long way to go in terms of service delivery, I think its quite unfair to use an act of God to crucify them.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 21, 2011
Konnektions146:

i ve really learnt so much from this thread, thanks to Omo-tier and chaircover, but come to think of it, y is ARIJ like this?

I am no fan of Arik Air but i try to be a little patriotic, but they are just not  it, i just wish Aero Contractors has got the capabilities of flying those relatively Long Haul trips,

but lets hope they get better.
For real, long hauls are no child's play! The politics involved is such that you have to be a money bag to do long hauls! Aero hasn't got it, so let them do Air Nigeria style, regional please
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by larryshow4(m): 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
That is not new, Arik is know for that very bad habit, i was delayed 2hours while going to J'burg and 1hour while coming back. It was my first time flying with them and i heard regular customers of them complaining that they are used to it. I don't think i want to make use of that airline again. NOWAY!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by aribisala0(m): 6:09am On Nov 22, 2011
there is a simple explanation
airline A started by mr a with a loan + personal funds and investor capital. previous experience in industry and a vision . employs top management with industry nous

airline B started by chief owolaiyemo with government money illegally acquired and unsure of what to do with it consulted pastor C who thinks "airline is good business" so starts airline with brother in law as CEO brother in-law use to be in the airforce so he should know how to make it work and deal with unruly nigerian passengers
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by jerryben12: 7:04am On Nov 22, 2011
Not a biggy. Airlines all over the world have delays. An Indian airline had passengers donate for fuel when they had a stop over.
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-11-17/europe/30409122_1_comtel-passengers-vienna
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Konnektions146(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

For real, long hauls are no child's play! The politics involved is such that you have to be a money bag to do long hauls! Aero hasn't got it, so let them do Air Nigeria style, regional please

thanks man, yu re really good with this airplane engineerin stuff and i appreciate all your explanations, just learnt more,

thanks
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by oderemo(m): 12:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
Guys , try to change your flight@abj arik office and u will encounter nija customer service big tym.tried it 2wice ,'paid 40k and waited 6hrs just for that.
Pls i beg u guys not to knock b.a ohh.
Flew with them last oct, plane was overbookked, got paid 520 pound instantly and lodged in one of the 5 star hotel around the airport.
Damn , was praying that same plane willbe overbooked next day. grin
wld love to pick 520 daily for overbooking.
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by OmoTier1(m): 2:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
ode remo:

Guys , try to change your flight@abj arik office and u will encounter nija customer service big tym.tried it 2wice ,'paid 40k and waited 6hrs just for that.
Pls i beg u guys not to knock b.a ohh.
Flew with them last oct, plane was overbookked, got paid 520 pound instantly and lodged in one of the 5 star hotel around the airport.
Damn , was praying that same plane willbe overbooked next day. grin
wld love to pick 520 daily for overbooking.

@ the part in bold. I really hope next time you will be smiling happiliy jobbly when you'r due for a scheduled meeting with your CEO and you are told by BA that the flight is over booked

Since when did BA become Easy jet or Ryan air? I thought over booking was the trade mark of these tow airlines? lipsrsealed

If only you knew how much BA made on your staying over for that one night you really would'nt be smiling !
Re: Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

100,000 Nigerians Apply For Us Visa Weekly / Going To Kuwait, Wats Your Opinion? / Dana Air To Review Aib’s Full Reports On Ill-fated Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.