Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,309 members, 7,836,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. (1950 Views)

How Much Is A Litre Of Fuel In Your Area. / Under APC Fuel Was Also N600 In 2017 & 2019 - Premium Times, Punch Newspapers / FG Plans N97 Per Litre Fuel For Common Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by Oracleee: 11:14am On Apr 29
Matheusmartin:
U guys are simply unbelievable.

Spits!!

You get time quote the lunatic.

I marvelled at his supposed wisdom which is diehard folly.

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 11:19am On Apr 29
BigYash:
But those who took over from Gej then said he was clueless,like they had better option. So why are they not protesting against themselves for being a failure for 8years+ now .. I am talking about APC ,Buhari’ and Tinubu..na Them dey front protesting against Jonathan then..

Politicans and their supporters are hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 11:29am On Apr 29
Oracleee:

You get time quote the lunatic.

I marvelled at his supposed wisdom which is diehard folly.

The person you abused says hi.
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 11:32am On Apr 29
Beautifulday:

The same is applicable right now. 618 naira is for a few fillings station. Some sell close to 700 before today.

Today it's close to 800 naira. Transport fare has doubled everywhere today.

If Jonathan had won, your argument that it the price would have gone up holds no water. Even if, it wouldn't have gone above double the price.

This government increased fuel 7 times above the former price. Who does that?

He still would have, because the issue with subsidy is that governments can do nada about production costs, and nada about falling values of naira....
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by Beautifulday: 11:36am On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

He still would have, because the issue with subsidy is that governments can do nada about production costs, and nada about falling values of naira....

He wouldn't have removed subsidy without putting in place certain things. Do you know how many times they have removed subsidy?

The subsidy is even back

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by royalwax2: 11:55am On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Yes, 87 naira was damm expensive

Am about to give you guys a little explanation, and no, I am not here to defend or attack any politician, and for the record, tinubu and buhari were wrong on subsidy removal in 2012.

1. By the time fuel was at 87 naira, it was available that way in a few petrol stations, it was above 100 elsewhere. Don't believe me..

Here is a vanguard report from 2014

And here is a poll from that time too

Here is Ipman explaining why they can't sell fuel above 97 per liter in 2013

The truth is the cost of maintaing that subsidy at 97 in 2012 was about 2 naira in January..it went up to 50 naira per liter in 2015.

Let's back up a bit.. Jonathan met fuel at 65 naira ..when he raised it to 141 naira , subsidy costs were at 35 naira per liter. Also, subsidy costs tripled from 2010 to 11

Why am I telling you all this?

Because if Jonathan had won the election, he would have been forced to raise fuel prices

2. Between 2011 to 14 , our revenues were at an all time.high. that's why we had money for subsidy. But in April 2014, the Saudis and the america ns went to war over crude prices, and the resulting drop was a nightmare

By January 2015, gej was.borrowoing to pay salaries.

That means that if he had won, we woild have still had to remove subsidies totally because quite simply, fall in oil prices meant no money.

3. When fuel went down to 87 naira, scarcity got worse. It was only in certain major marketers that fuel was available at that price. Many independent marketers had since 2014 been selling fuel above 100 naira per liter, some.as high as 200 naira. See my links above

Summary is simple. We have been throwing and are still throwing away.billions on a subsidy that is becoming more.and more expensive to keep

T'would have been better if gej had removed subsidies totally in 2012. But he kept them. Still buhari and tinubu are also more.at fault for maintaing subsidies today.

And let's be honest, gej expanding subsides worsened our fiscal situation. Especially when oil prices were dropping and cuts needed to be made.

Our leaders are all the same. They sacrifice the economy for their benefit.

Nothing like cheap fuel

You ended up saying RUBBISH!!

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 12:20pm On Apr 29
royalwax2:

You ended up saying RUBBISH!!

Because you don't want to see it.
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 12:22pm On Apr 29
Beautifulday:

He wouldn't have removed subsidy without putting in place certain things. Do you know how many times they have removed subsidy?

The subsidy is even back

The best time was 2012, when they could have put some things.

Nigerians back then said no. Buhari and tinubu just jumped on the bandwagon, and hyped things up for nothing.

At the end, Nigerians don't know how destructive subsidy is. Both pro- and anti tinubu people. That is why praising tinubu for keeping subsidy, or asking apc to take fuel to N87 misses the point...
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by royalwax2: 12:44pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Because you don't want to see it.

You that has seen it, are you buying fuel any lesser because you are a supporter of this government?

Are we not all buying fuel at the same price? Keep suffering and supporting mediocrity & incompetence because of Tribe eh!

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 29
royalwax2:

You that has seen it, are you buying fuel any lesser because you are a supporter of this government?

Well, I am telling you that if you guys had let GEJ remove subsides on fuel in 2011/12, we won';t be in this problem

We are in this problem because most of us, even today, cant accept fuel is expensive

Are we not all buying fuel at the same price? Keep suffering and supporting mediocrity & incompetence because of Tribe eh!

NO, we are suffering it because nigerian leaders don't want to be honest with us...gej and tinubu inclusive.

I've been shouting that people should vote out the current APC and PDP and LP and NNPP and vote in new guys, but y'all say no.

ANyway, nothing like cheap fuel
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by jude79(m): 1:50pm On Apr 29
helinues:

I didn't say you should respond like spam bot.

Respond like normal NL to the question I asked..

1, 2, 3 set go

Here he is, the conscienceless agbadorian headmaster, plying his propaganda trade of death, just for less than #30000, tueh

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by royalwax2: 3:02pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Well, I am telling you that if you guys had let GEJ remove subsides on fuel in 2011/12, we won';t be in this problem

We are in this problem because most of us, even today, cant accept fuel is expensive

NO, we are suffering it because nigerian leaders don't want to be honest with us...gej and tinubu inclusive.

I've been shouting that people should vote out the current APC and PDP and LP and NNPP and vote in new guys, but y'all say no.

ANyway, nothing like cheap fuel

Who is "if you guys"? Wasn't it you folks who protested against subsidy removal during GEJ era?

BTW, never you put GEJ & Tinubu in the same sentence again.
Leadership wise, dem no be mates.
Even your life was better off during GEJ era compared to how you are struggling now.

1 Like

Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 3:09pm On Apr 29
royalwax2:

Who is "if you guys"? Wasn't it you folks who protested against subsidy removal during GEJ era?

LIke I said, I had my eyes opened in 2012 to how bad subsidy is. I never joined any protests. Sometimes you can see when a bad government is trying to make good decisions, and people cannot see.

I saw, and I backed subsidy removal then, and now.

BTW, never you put GEJ & Tinubu in the same sentence again.
Leadership wise, dem no be mates.

Ha, the day you realize that since independence, and before independence, we haven't had any good leaders, you will see what I see.

As for me, TInubu is just the latest in a long line. Never voted for him, never trusted him. If Gani did not trust him in 2005, why should i?
Even your life was better off during GEJ era compared to how you are struggling now.
[

Because oil prices were higher. Back in the day, my seniors used to say the same thing about the period 1973-82...how times were good, how people could buy bread for 50kobo and car for less than N500, and how a table fan cost N16 In 1981...and worked very well.....

Economies that are dependent on resources , they look good when the resources are at a high price, and when the resources they sell have price collapse, as happened in 1982, and 2014, wahala starts.

That is why I say we haven't had any good leader. None of them, especially tinubu and buhari...who had a golden chance in 2015 to write their name in gold...espeically buhari...and diversify our economy away from just selling oi....have been good.

Anyway, you tinubu and gej and obi and atiku fans, you too get hurt.

Resource dependency. It's what ails our economy.
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by victory36(m): 3:14pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Yes, 87 naira was damm expensive

Am about to give you guys a little explanation, and no, I am not here to defend or attack any politician, and for the record, tinubu and buhari were wrong on subsidy removal in 2012.

1. By the time fuel was at 87 naira, it was available that way in a few petrol stations, it was above 100 elsewhere. Don't believe me..

Here is a vanguard report from 2014

And here is a poll from that time too

Here is Ipman explaining why they can't sell fuel above 97 per liter in 2013

The truth is the cost of maintaing that subsidy at 97 in 2012 was about 2 naira in January..it went up to 50 naira per liter in 2015.

Let's back up a bit.. Jonathan met fuel at 65 naira ..when he raised it to 141 naira , subsidy costs were at 35 naira per liter. Also, subsidy costs tripled from 2010 to 11

Why am I telling you all this?

Because if Jonathan had won the election, he would have been forced to raise fuel prices

2. Between 2011 to 14 , our revenues were at an all time.high. that's why we had money for subsidy. But in April 2014, the Saudis and the america ns went to war over crude prices, and the resulting drop was a nightmare

By January 2015, gej was.borrowoing to pay salaries.

That means that if he had won, we woild have still had to remove subsidies totally because quite simply, fall in oil prices meant no money.

3. When fuel went down to 87 naira, scarcity got worse. It was only in certain major marketers that fuel was available at that price. Many independent marketers had since 2014 been selling fuel above 100 naira per liter, some.as high as 200 naira. See my links above

Summary is simple. We have been throwing and are still throwing away.billions on a subsidy that is becoming more.and more expensive to keep

T'would have been better if gej had removed subsidies totally in 2012. But he kept them. Still buhari and tinubu are also more.at fault for maintaing subsidies today.

And let's be honest, gej expanding subsides worsened our fiscal situation. Especially when oil prices were dropping and cuts needed to be made.

Our leaders are all the same. They sacrifice the economy for their benefit.

Nothing like cheap fuel

Modified

It's nearly 2 pm, and a lot of angry people have responded

The truth is, if your response was abuse, you have completely missed the point. And if you liked my comment because you think it exonerates tinubu, you have missed my point.

IN 2012, GEJ kept fuel at N97. Over the next 2 years, a lot of filling stations across NIgeria sold fuel above N97 per liter, some as high as N100-250. Because the subsidy being paid was not enough to cover the resulting loss , meaning that as at 2013, 52% of nigerians did not pay for fuel at the official price.

When fuel went down to N87, it got worse. There were queues, and more queues, until the Buhari admin raised prices to N145, and the show ended, until landing costs passed N150, and it started again. Buhari threw in another fix by making NNPC sole importer, and it worked till 2019, when it started again. COVID period was a blessing and a curse in a way.

The truth is, the above has happened over and over again, and is still happening. Tinubu removed subsides partially, like buhari, like GEJ like many of our past leaders.

SO, at the end, fuel is expensive. Maintaining a subsidy is basically refusing to accept reality.
all what you have said is true. Even the dollar equivalent of the price of petrol has been in the same region since 2011. What Nigeria needs is the capacity to refine its own crude oil. That way, dollar fluctuations wouldn't affect the price of petrol and it would be much cheaper even without subsidy due to the low service cost in Nigeria compared to foreign refineries
Re: 87 Per Litre Of Fuel Was Too Expensive. by nairalanda1(m): 3:17pm On Apr 29
victory36:
all what you have said is true. Even the dollar equivalent of the price of petrol has been in the same region since 2011. What Nigeria needs is the capacity to refine its own crude oil. That way, dollar fluctuations wouldn't affect the price of petrol and it would be much cheaper even without subsidy due to the low service cost in Nigeria compared to foreign refineries

And domestic refining makes sense if there is no subsidy or price controls.

Because, the sad thing is, refineries cost a lot of money to build and maintain. And if the operator is not making enough profit to keep them running, there would be problems.

Subsides mean , for NIgeria, price controls that prevent a profit being made, and instead a subsidy is paid in place of profits, and the subsidy isn';t enough, and then cometh corruption.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladoja, Others Refunded N500m Oyo Funds – Efcc / Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki / Retired Judges Drag Alao-akala To Court !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.