Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,113 members, 7,835,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? (25645 Views)

This Is Why Death Doesn't Make Any Sense / Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling / British Vs American English (spelling) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Braimoh100(m): 7:49pm On Apr 30
Gmelina
Choir
Archaic
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Shutup1st(f): 7:56pm On Apr 30
Pneumonia
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by 99thEnemy(m): 8:14pm On Apr 30
favour32:
Laugh

Scissors

Champagne

Plumber

Choir

Psychosis

Spelling - Sound
Plumber - Plumer
Comb - Com
Bomb - Bom
Lieutenant - Leftenant

2 Likes

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by peterboro: 8:20pm On Apr 30
Lieutenant.

Instead of leftenant.
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by engrvicky(m): 8:21pm On Apr 30
Pneumonia
Plumber
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by jlo247(m): 8:46pm On Apr 30
How One be One

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Usmanovic95(m): 8:48pm On Apr 30
djkirkoo2:
because its a borrowed word.

Care to tell me about the etymology?
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Nwanna2588: 8:51pm On Apr 30
Choir
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Joy2dworldxyz: 8:53pm On Apr 30
The first time I came across the word - SOCCER, I pronounced it as Sossa, my class mates just laughed at me, it was in my primary school.

But shall, shame no catch me cos English no be my dialect

1 Like

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by habayommy: 9:03pm On Apr 30
Rheumatism - Romatism
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by MetaMatrix: 9:13pm On Apr 30
Psyop
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Gbolarshow: 9:45pm On Apr 30
Knee
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by samwash(m): 9:54pm On Apr 30
Psychotherapist

Psycho-the-rapist
This kind word be this?
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by ManOfMan: 10:19pm On Apr 30
Neighbor or Neighbour
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by placeofallure(f): 10:27pm On Apr 30
There are quite a handful of such words. In phonetics, we call them sight words because they don't sound anything like they look. You can't apply the principle of the sound of the letters to pronounce them. They will 'fall your hands" Many times, there are silent letters that you don't get to pronounce at all. Again, you need to be familiar with the words to be able to pronounce them correctly. There are tools to help you with this.

Acquiesce
Chaos
Receipt
Gobbledegook
Miniscule
Conscientious
Weird
Playwright
Nauseous
Chiaroscurist
Tortoise
Wednesday
Annihilation
Jewelry
Liaison
Choir
Jeopardy
Indict
Asthma
Defiant
Knead
Lieutenant
Colonel
Awry
Psyche
Façade
Leopard
Bankruptcy
Chocolate etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Righteousness1: 10:31pm On Apr 30
Rendezvous pronounced as rondivuu

1 Like

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by heykims(m): 10:43pm On Apr 30
Facade pronounced as fasaad.
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Nuelstar(m): 11:57pm On Apr 30
Pneumonia
Kneels
Read/read
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by LOVEGINO(m): 12:05am On May 01
chicfarmer:
read and read.
present tense and past tense. how? undecided grin
U get am

1 Like

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Ballack1(m): 12:26am On May 01
manoeuvre instead of Manover 😂
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Lollipop659(f): 7:02am On May 01
Isle
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by LeeSmart: 11:51am On May 01
Neoteny:

You think?
Try Irish then.
Caoimhe is pronounced "keeva"
Omor see as i just dey laugh silently

1 Like

Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Osechrime: 12:16pm On May 01
Mine is choir... What happened to the Q
Re: What Is That English Spelling That Doesn't Make Sense To You? by Kaleidoscopeman: 10:05am On May 02
Half-penny
Jojoba
Victual

Try pronounce first before checking google

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

‘Expel Students With Less Than 0.5 CGPA’ – Anthony Onwuka, Minister Of State / OAU Students Locked Down INEC Offices In Ife And Disrupts Training(PHOTOS) / JAMB Should Revert To Paper-pencil Test - House Of Reps Orders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.