Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles (86408 Views)

The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: / Ethiopia Vs Somalia----the History Behind The Hate / What Is The History Behind The Gorgeous [edo] Bini's Hair Beads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Maximip(m): 2:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
Yoruba people just get swag scatter grin
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Oba234: 3:00pm On Nov 22, 2011
Gele is yoruba all the way. Yorubas are just flamboyant in the way they dress. I will say the head wrap is popular throughout West Africa, but the extra flamboyont ones are mostly worn by Nigerians mainly Yoruba. Like I said, Yoruba people like to show off and overdo things, so it makes sense that this will affect their dressing over time. I honestly can't see other people in west Africa being this extravagant with their dressing. Ghanians in general tend to be demure and reserved so I can't see them starting something like this.

1 Like

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by shadrach77: 3:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
did anyone notice the feminine way in which segun gele was talking and his feminine mannerisms? the guy must be gay! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Abagworo(m): 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2011
Is there any difference between "Ichafu" and "Gele".
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2011
Abagworo:

Is there any difference between "Ichafu" and "Gele".

I dont think so. Gele --> Yoruba. Ichafu --> Igbo.

I wonder what other tribes call it.
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

i think your just delusional

Maybe you need to learn how to let someone be when they're in a bout of insanity. cheesy
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by DEEHASAL(m): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2011
shadrach77:

did anyone notice the feminine way in which segun gele was talking and his feminine mannerisms? the guy must be man-lover! grin grin grin

You are so wrong!!!!!!
That is just his way of expression.He is not gay
Infact he recently married to his long-term girlfriend.The first picture he displayed is that of his wife.
I know Segun since LASU days and we even became closer because of Junior Chamber International(Jaycees)
Everybody in LASU and UNILAG know him as Segcy.Check his facebook account and you will see his marriage pictures.

1 Like

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by amor4ce(m): 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2011
It seems a very important detail has been left out and it has to do with the orientation of the gele. If girl/woman wears the gele with the knot in front that indicates virginity and or spinsterhood. If it is at the back it indicates that the wearer is married. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct but for sure the position of the knot is supposed to be significant. Also, if what I've mentioned is accurate then it means women nowadays advertise absence of chastity.
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Ybutterfly: 2:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=15pt]NICCEEE THREADDDD[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
Geles come in different fabrics such as damask, brocade and "aso-oke" (hand-woven fabrics popular for Yoruba special occasions in Nigeria). The most popular fabric among Nigerian women is a metallic fabric made from jacquard.

Now I understand why you made this mistake on that thread. grin English was the problem. Thanks for putting it in bold. I wouldn't have read it myself. The author states in brackets- hand-woven fabrics popular for Yoruba special occassions- he was talking about Aso-oke. AND NOT THE PAPER GELE.

Is this supposed to be handwoven by Yoruba people? Something from Asia? cheesy

[size=14pt] The most popular fabric among Nigerian women is a metallic fabric made from jacquard[/size].

GBAM GBAMMER GBAMMESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by Orikinla(m): 5:13pm On Dec 26, 2013
African beauty comes with dignity and nobility of royalty like Cynthia Agiande looking like a true African Princess in her beautiful shinning yellow African head wrap/head-tie "Gele" and yellow gown as she stepped out gracefully last Saturday April 6, 2013, for the wedding of one of her friends in Lagos, Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by ladionline: 4:40am On Jan 01, 2014
I know for sure that enough gele go float this day.
What does gele mean sef? It means 'cut extra' or extra-cut! The tradition of gele came with Yoruba from well-source at the East. At this place its fashionable or customary to have veil to protect oneself against windstorm and against sunburn, so gele started first as iborun (neck cover) or ibori (meaning headcover).

At home in Africa, the Yoruba men found fila, cap, and iborun became permanent women things that has survive as Gele. Ibori is for men, maybe its turban of Cheiks of old. Albeit, Yoruba priests still spot this, and they call it Saki. Sounds like Sheik or Sarkin. Sheik in Yoruba is known as Seriki. Though Beduine, it can still be comprehensive in Yoruba as se-ri-ki: can be reverence when seen. Of course, saki is like cloth with withish, intenstine- , brush- or towel-like surface. Enjoy the day.

1 Like

Re: Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles by wealthtrak: 10:23pm On Jul 06, 2021
A famous Nigerian "Gele Artist"

Houston, Texas (CNN) -- Segun Gele, or to use his full name Hakeem Oluwasegun Olaleye, is a man making a name for himself in a woman's world.
The Houston-based businessman has made an artform out of tying a gele -- the gravity-defying headwraps worn by Nigerian women.
To meet him is to understand how he became a celebrity in a field only a few years in the making. He's not only a vivacious self-promoter; he's also clearly thrilled to find himself making money doing something that comes so naturally to him.
Watching Segun Gele whip the material into graceful folds and arcs in less than five minutes, you know he is the master.
Geles come in different fabrics such as damask, brocade and "aso-oke" [size=18pt](hand-woven fabrics popular for Yoruba special occasions in Nigeria)[/size]. The most popular fabric among Nigerian women is a metallic fabric made from jacquard.
Gallery: Segun Gele, the master headturner
They have been worn by Nigerian women for generations, but in recent years has become the ultimate fashion accessory for important parties and events in the U.S., something that Segun Gele partially credits himself for.
He says when he moved to Houston, Texas in 2003 from Nigeria, many Nigerian women had stopped wearing their gele because it was just too difficult to tie by themselves. To Segun Gele, this was a great tragedy.
"I mean, you would not find a woman wearing a good headwrap," Segun Gele said. "They would rather wear pantsuits to a Nigerian party. They would rather wear their jeans to a Nigerian party. And when they had the headwrap made, it was just okay."
He first noticed he could turn his skills into a promising business when he offered to tie a woman's head wrap at a friend's wedding.
Within minutes, he had whipped the two-yard fabric into a headturning, vertiginous shape that left other women at the party impressed. Before long a queue had formed and he started charging $7 a piece to tie gele at the wedding, Segun said.
Over time his rates grew to $10, then $15, and now he rarely ties wraps at parties but reserves his services for weddings or other special occasions.
"In the past, I used to have so many people. I think I had about 20, 30 people standing in the line to have their hair tie tied. But it got to the stage where it was overwhelming," he said.
Segun Gele now charges $650 to tie wraps for brides and their party for Houston weddings, and $1,000 plus hotel, rental car and airfare for out-of-town weddings.
This wedding season he's already flown to Georgia, New Jersey, California, Massachusetts and Maryland. Knowing brides reserve him a year in advance, well aware of his popularity.
It's the only business he's done since he moved to the U.S., and one that's showing no signs of slowing down. He has students that pay to train with the master, flying in from around the U.S. and London.
So long as gele remains a fashion statement for Nigerian women, Segun Gele is sure to remain king of his domain.

Watch video on CNN homepage http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/07/16/segun.gele.nigeria.headgear/index.html#fbid=HltbHDVHgJZ

(1) (2) (Reply)

Somebody Tell Benjamin Netanyahu That Igbo Are The Lost Tribe Of Gad! / Igala Language In Anambra State. / South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.