Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,158 members, 7,842,332 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer (21190 Views)

2023 UTME: Nkechinyere Umeh Top Scorer – JAMB / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Odewaleadesoye(m): 1:10pm On May 13
Kawthar Shehu Toro, 16-year-old student of Pen Resource Academy, Gombe, emerged as top scorer from Gombe State, in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) results, released by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). In this interview, the SS3 student spoke on the secret behind her success and future plans. Excerpt:

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Kawthar Shehu Toro. I am 16 years old. I am an indigene of Bauchi State. I attended Dolphins School Zaria for my Nursery and ABU Demonstration School for my Primary School. After my nursery and primary school in Zaria, Kaduna State, I joined the Pen Resource Academy from JSS1 to SS3.

You scored 348 in your UTME. Was this something you particularly aimed to achieve before you took the exams?
Initially, I was comfortable that the cut-off mark for Medicine & Surgery was 250, so I was aiming for 250 to 260. But then, I heard a rumour that Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria was extending its cut-off mark to 300, so I knew I had to step out of my comfort zone and work to achieve more to get the cut-off mark.

I was able to do that with the support of the people around me; like the guidance of my teachers, a conducive study environment, and a good study pattern and reading resources at my disposal.

So, is it possible for someone to have a score in mind and actually get it?
Yes, it is not just luck. Our school introduced us to an app called Test Gorilla, where you can answer past questions like a JAMB mock practice. My first mock score was 230.

I was not so happy with it. I relaxed and thought I only needed 30 more marks. But when I heard that rumour, I knew that I had to work for more. I really wanted to exceed the cut-off mark so that I have a chance at competing for admission.

The score I got wasn’t actually my plan because there were some days that I was tired and wanted to relax, but I knew that I had to work for it, give up enjoyment and sleep. It’s not just luck.

How do you feel now that your efforts have paid off?
Alhamdulillah, I feel happy knowing that all the sleep and enjoyment I gave up turned out to be worth it.

How long did it take to prepare for the examination?
Right from when I got into SS3. That is from September 2023, when we were introduced to the JAMB mock exam and I heard the rumour. You have to prepare early because preparing early gives you a head start.

Were you always ahead in class or were you an average student?
I topped the class, but I knew that if I lived in that glory forever, I would never realise my full potential. If you focus on the perspective of competing with yourself and not others in the class, you will achieve maximum growth. However, if you keep competing with your mates, you will forever be stuck.

What is your reading pattern? Do you read all the time?
For me, I read anytime I find myself in an environment I know I can read and understand, although I am sort of a night person; I sleep early and wake up in the night to read.

But at the school level, for SS3 students, we go to school from 7am to 5.30pm. When I get back home, I sleep by 9pm, wake up around 1am or 2am and study till dawn. I also study during my free time during school hours to make up for the time lost because I need to study for five hours a day.

We also have prep during evening classes between 4pm and 5pm, which is like a group discussion. We teach each other and exchange ideas.

Which university did you apply to and what course?
I applied to the ABU, Zaria, to study Medicine and Surgery. My second choice is also Medicine at the Gombe State University, Gombe.

Why did you choose medicine?
I’ve always had a passion for medicine before I even understood what it meant. When I came of age, my father often took me to the hospital, and when you see sick people or hear stories of doctors being careless, you know you have to get into the profession to make a change. If everybody shuns medicine, then when we are sick there will be nobody to attend to us.

Has anyone in your family encouraged you to study medicine?
My father wants me to study medicine because he’s a medical doctor, and some of my cousins are also medical doctors. He often talks about when a female patient goes to the Gynaecology ward and is being checked by a male doctor.

He tells this story to encourage me. My mother and some of my family members also want me to study medicine.

Apart from studying medicine, do you have other plans?
No one depends on one job in Nigeria now, so I feel like going into entrepreneurship and perhaps trading. Even though I was told that medicine is time-consuming, I feel you just have to utilise your time well.

Others have done it and I can also do it. It is all about setting your priorities right.

Aside from medicine, what other courses do you think you can study?
If not medicine, I will definitely go for engineering. Initially, I wanted to study AI engineering or software engineering.

DAILY TRUST

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Newman20(m): 1:12pm On May 13
Wow, I just LOVE a good success story.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by EreluRoz: 1:13pm On May 13
When I say Art students are dull they'll come for my head, have you seen any art student coming near top 3 in jamb? Top 100 sef you won't still see them.

Or

Have you seen any parents telling their young children they shall be professional in any of those art courses(aside law and accounting which are manageable, the rest are chere kambia courses). Aside the two courses I mentioned in the bracket, the rest na condition make people go study those kind courses due to low score in jamb.

Bye have a nice day guys.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Newman20(m): 1:16pm On May 13
EreluRoz:
When I say Art students are dull they'll come for my head

And you'd deserve it because that's a baseless assertion. But then again, I wouldn't expect anything else from the average Nairalander.

12 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by EreluRoz: 1:18pm On May 13
Newman20:

And you'd deserve it because that's a baseless assertion. But then again, I would expect anything else from the average Nairalander.
When you were a child did your parents ever wish you to become professional in any of those art courses? Say the truth
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Xscape1993(m): 1:21pm On May 13
Congratulations to her! Wishing her all the best of life.

4 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Mitsurugi(m): 1:25pm On May 13
grin
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by datopaper(m): 1:26pm On May 13
The story is interesting, I hope others learn from it.

1 Like

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Jimafe31: 1:26pm On May 13
Congratulations
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by ChizzyBuna(m): 1:26pm On May 13
Ok
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by bigdammyj: 1:26pm On May 13
Congratulations to you.
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by christejames(m): 1:26pm On May 13
Pen Resource Academy, a nice school owned by the former governor Dankwambo...

Gombe a beautiful state.

9 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Emu4life(m): 1:26pm On May 13
There are so many people from the North that actually scored very high in Jamb. They just not getting the required publicity.

11 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by yewit37486: 1:27pm On May 13
Brilliant girl with a beautiful dimple. Congratulations.

4 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by flakkypastries: 1:27pm On May 13
Congratulations ooo
I scored 196 the first jamb I did

2 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Mitsurugi(m): 1:27pm On May 13
grin Glad to see Northerners doing well in education. Knew a few brilliant ones back then at King's College

2 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by RingRoadMafia: 1:28pm On May 13
Mmesoma remains my G.O.A.T grin

Mmesoma and Tinubu has two things in common, guess it right and win 3K airtime instantly! Must be MTN though.

7 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Mitsurugi(m): 1:28pm On May 13
flakkypastries:
Congratulations ooo
I scored 196 the first jamb I did

Wow! Same score with me. That was when I wanted to read Accountancy. The maths was a problem at JAMB didn't know Further Maths. I switched to Law subsequently and did better
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Daattt: 1:28pm On May 13
good that the northerner are now taking education serious
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by RevenuesBoost(f): 1:28pm On May 13
Wow
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Emu4life(m): 1:29pm On May 13
Mitsurugi:
grin Glad to see Northerners doing well in education. Knew a few brilliant ones back then at King's College

Anybody that has been to the North knows there are geniuses there too.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Dynamicboss: 1:29pm On May 13
Only two male students??

Kudos to the bright ladies. Proud of them

1 Like

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Throwback: 1:29pm On May 13
Very impressive score in Physics and Chemistry.

If not for the need to get an employable course, this girl should have gone for a pure science degree.

5 Likes

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by LegendHero(m): 1:29pm On May 13
Congratulations to her.

Females are gradually taking over. See as their top scorer feature mostly females.

1 Like

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Emmastan291: 1:29pm On May 13
More grace and greater heights
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Mitsurugi(m): 1:30pm On May 13
Emu4life:

Anybody that has been to the North knows there are geniuses there too.

Yes, but their leaders don't encourage them.
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Emu4life(m): 1:30pm On May 13
Daattt:
good that the northerner are now taking education serious
You just don't see it on Nairaland. But believe me, they have been doing very well for a while now and it's only getting better.
Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by chi4ik4(m): 1:30pm On May 13
EreluRoz:
When I say Art students are dull they'll come for my head, have you seen any art student coming near top 3 in jamb? Top 100 sef you won't still see them.

Or

Have you seen any parents telling their young children they shall be professional in any of those art courses(aside law and accounting which are manageable, the rest are chere kambia courses). Aside the two courses I mentioned in the bracket, the rest na condition make people go study those kind courses due to low score in jamb.

Bye have a nice day guys.
Not just art courses but both art and science courses. There are many useless courses in Nigeria that will useless your entire life. e g: Biochemistry, physics, chemistry, science lab technology courses, zoology, plant science, geography, industrial chemistry, geo-mining etc. Apart from some Medical courses in Nigeria, Info Tech, Computer science and Building, all other science courses in Nigeria are useless.

Note: I'm a Clinical Speech Pathologist and it's even 1 million better that being a Doctor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kawthar Shehu Toro: My JAMB Scores Success Story – Gombe Top Scorer by Legal001: 1:30pm On May 13
Beauty with brains
May God grant her the desires of her heart

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Students On Scholarship Graduate From Egyptian University / 10 Reasons Why Nigerians FAIL In Their Scholarship Applications / 161 students bag first class from Nigerian Law School — highest ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.