Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,812 members, 7,844,628 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power (10256 Views)

Unfollow Me If Court Proves That Tinubu Didn’t Graduate From CSU - Omokri / Obi Didn’t Say He Played Football With Odili, Gazette's Fact-check False (video) / Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Is Attacking Buhari Because He Won't Be President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by ivandragon: 7:03am On May 14
My Saturday column was anchored on a viral soundbite from 2019 of Bola Tinubu saying, “If we reduce the purchasing power of the people, we can further slow down the economy.

Let’s widen the tax net. Those who are not paying now, even if it is inclusive of Bola Tinubu, let the net get bigger and we take in more taxes, and that is what we must do in the country.”

He did utter those words, but the context was intentionally distorted with intent to deceive. Ironically, it was a previously fervent Tinubu supporter who has now become one of his severest critics who called my attention on Saturday to the fact that the soundbite intentionally cut out the preceding and subsequent statements Tinubu made, which made it clear that he wasn’t asking for citizens’ purchasing power to be weakened and for the economy to be slowed down.

On the contrary, he was actually advocating the opposite of that, which is ironic because he appears to be doing exactly what he counseled against—sort of like his contradictory attitudes on petrol subsidies when he wasn’t in government and when he is now in government.

Well, here’s the full quotation which political opponents who popularized the soundbite (and misled some of us) deliberately left out:

“The global economy faces a stiff headwind [due to] factors not [of] our making…. Consumer spending is slipping…. And this is where I will stop and appeal to Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the Vice President, and his team.

“Put a huge question mark on any increase on VAT, please. If we reduce the purchasing power of the people, we can further slow down the economy.

“Let’s widen the tax net. Those who are not paying now, if it is inclusive of Bola Tinubu, let the net get bigger and we take in more taxes, and that is what we must do in the country, instead of additional layers of taxes. For now, I’ll stop there.”

He obviously didn’t have a great choice of words, but Tinubu was actually advising the Buhari administration not to increase VAT (as he is proposing to do now) because it will reduce the purchasing power of the people and slow down the economy.

In my column, I found it incredulous that he would say that. I wrote: “So, many people, including me, concluded that Tinubu merely slipped up. What he meant to say was inconsistent with what he actually said.”

Two things made the propagandistic soundbite believable. One, although Tinubu was addressing former Vice President Osinbajo, he used the first-person plural “we” even though he wasn’t officially in government (which may be justified because he saw himself as a part of the government—never mind that he distanced himself from it during the election).

Two, in the nearly one year he has been in power, his signature economic policies have done no more than reduce the people’s purchasing power, slow down the economy, and widen the tax net.

All said, I believe that at all times we must admit the truth even if it’s against us, embarrasses us, weakens our argument, or causes us to be hated or ridiculed. That’s my personal philosophy.

The truth is that the viral 2019 soundbite that inspired my column is decontextualized and manipulated. I apologize for unknowingly validating it.

Nonetheless, my analysis of the strangulating economic policies of the Tinubu administration, which he advised Buhari against, stands.

I am glad that he has seen reason to reverse the cybersecurity tax, according to today’s Punch. I hope other reversals of injurious economic policies will follow. All we want is a better deal for our people.

https://platinumtimes.ng/farooq-kperogi-tinubu-didnt-mean-hed-reduce-peoples-purchasing-power/

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by ForValour: 7:04am On May 14
Tinubu is a sea of contradictions, but now his tides favour the absurd.

15 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by ivandragon: 7:04am On May 14
Good.

When mistakes are made, it is important to own up and make necessary corrections.

For Nigeria to get better, the citizens must speak truth to power, criticise fairly and put the leaders to task.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by insidelife22(m): 7:10am On May 14
Who cares if he said it or not, he already did.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by LeeSantos(m): 7:40am On May 14
Omoh all this one doesn’t matter anymore.
A wise man one said “ The greatest mistake is committing the same mistake” and on this note this union as being a mistake since 1960

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by helinues: 7:40am On May 14
That's how confusion dey start

Farooq struggling with his own words.

cheesy grin

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Ofunaofu: 7:42am On May 14
Tinubu's statement about widening the tax net and reducing the purchasing power of the people was very clear and unambiguous.

Today, as president, and with current happenings, that statement is coming to pass.

39 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Freshtruth(m): 7:43am On May 14
Hungry dey beat people you dey preach good governance

8 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Matheusmartin: 7:47am On May 14
This one that speaks from the both sides of his mouth..

Mtcheww.

22 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by aieromon(m): 7:47am On May 14
ivandragon:

The truth is that the viral 2019 soundbite that inspired my column is decontextualized and manipulated. I apologize for unknowingly validating it.

Writeup inspired by a sound bite even when the full video is publicly available?

Professor of Journalism and Emerging Media cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnf1bsAO3XU

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Kukutente23: 7:50am On May 14
It doesn't matter if he said it or not
What matters is if he's doing it and hell yeah he is
So he's either a sadist, an hypocrite or a sadistic hypocrite!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by 2elliot: 7:53am On May 14
Even if you don't want to believe a man by his words, how about his actions? That was a freudian slip there. Did he not do exactly as he said even as governor? Did he not widen the tax net, and reduce people's purchasing power as a result, and with far less development despite all the huge taxes?

21 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by DatNiggaDaz: 7:54am On May 14
grin grin

Kperogi, Tinubu only expressed himself in bulaba & garangaja languages.

Anything a BATerian carrier does or says leads to irreparable damage in Quantum proportions.

Lies, deceit & propaganda are natural charactertics of BATerians

grin grin

22 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Remman(m): 7:59am On May 14
That's what Tinubu believes and that's exactly what he's doing. His silence over these issues are signs that they're all his ideas. It's still the same Tinubu and not another one. He said it and we're seeing him doing it.

17 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by AdiscoPele: 8:03am On May 14
Reason why we said propaganda can't take us anywhere.

The last election really brought out the worst set of people in Nigeria and it won't augur well if they don't stop.

This same propagandist used this same method in the 1960s and the result was so disastrous and they are repeating same.

You wonder, is it not the same man who was saying bulaba and so on during campaign that's so articulate now, infact, better than Obi who got a market to market certificate from Havard.

Nigeria belongs to all of us, we should make it great and not use political differences to bring it down.

Ironically, a guy posted on a tread yesterday on front page about his experience in Vietnam in the hands of an Indian consulate and we all condemned the Indian, but truth be told, we are the culprit who always degenerate our Nation online.

Pls let's change.

15 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 8:08am On May 14
B
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Skillsnigeria: 8:08am On May 14
grin hmmm
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by PHIPEX(m): 8:08am On May 14
This guy doesn't know where to stand.

He called what we heard propaganda yet has not shared his own version. Kperogi, continue to stand on your mandate, let's know where to place you. Stop being deceptive and forming.neutral

10 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by tizzle(m): 8:09am On May 14
but that is exactly what he is doing right now... Let's forget whatever he said

4 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by davidtemi(m): 8:09am On May 14
Why not let him come out to deny it. Tinubu no get mouth again ni

8 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Meti99(m): 8:10am On May 14
The trial and error president...
2½years more to put Nigeria in hardship, I believe you are saving enough money to bribe your way through

4 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by datola: 8:10am On May 14
Hmmm... Kperogi
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Obakoolex(m): 8:10am On May 14
grin
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by vozkined: 8:11am On May 14
Grammar
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by CrossRhodes: 8:12am On May 14
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Curious345: 8:16am On May 14
Who cares
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by toprealman: 8:16am On May 14
These mofos think they are smart. Kick against govt, get your brown envelope , do another piece and make Tinubu looks like he knows what he is doing.
These are the main enemies of the country not Tinubu!

4 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Curious345: 8:17am On May 14
All I know is that, I now buy with 39k what I use to buy with 6k under buhari

4 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Racoon(m): 8:17am On May 14
Tinubu has always been a hypocritical capitalist that is masquerading as a progressive element. This is how he lied about everything around his life including his drug baronism, certificates, genealogy, fuel subsidy volte face and his infamous muslim muslim ticket stance.

6 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Tinubu Didn’t Say He Will Reduce People’s Purchasing Power by Bullfallo(m): 8:19am On May 14
Lol. Look like this government is not favoring them again afterall. The spook person is only doing what is paid to do. But from what on ground the administration is already pointing to that direction.

Like someone who steals what he doesn’t have any ideal about. Giving tinubu president is like giving a pig diamond.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Finally Liquidate PHCN With Imminent Declaration Of TEM / PDP Convension: Court Bars Police, DSS, INEC From Interfering / IG Deploys Very Senior Officers To States Ahead Of Saturday's Elections.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.