Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,637 members, 7,851,128 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:54 PM

Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. (29435 Views)

A Trip To Ancient City Of Opobo Of King Jaja In Rivers State Part 2 / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses / Pictures Of Awka Anambra State Capital That You Haven't Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Wainey: 1:26pm On May 15
Believeintruth:

Dude Okirika and Kalabari are not Ijaw, forget all this expansionist games, the Ijaw only occupy Brass and interior swamplands and coasts of Bayelsa, Edo and Ondo
I am from Kalabari, u are telling me my origin? grin

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Malawian(m): 1:36pm On May 15
Believeintruth:

Dude Okirika and Kalabari are not Ijaw, forget all this expansionist games, the Ijaw only occupy Brass and interior swamplands and coasts of Bayelsa, Edo and Ondo
Even Brass was stolen during the war. Go there, the real Aborigines still speak Igbo as their native tongue.

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by hammer567: 1:37pm On May 15
Wainey:

YES, U ARE NOT ABOVE EDUCATION, NOBODY KNOWS IT ALL.

IJAW ARE ORIGINALLY FROM THE WESTERN BINI.

WHEN THE YORUBA CAME DOWN FROM THE NORTH TO BINI FROM ILE IFE IJAW FLED SOUTH, IGBOS FLED EAST. URHOBO FOLLOW RUN SOUTHEAST

SINCE THEY FLED SOUTH TO THE SEA AND THE YORUBA KEPT COMING SOUTH, THEY STARTED JUMPING FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND IN AND AROUND ONDO, DELTA MAINLY.

THE YORUBA FOLLWED THEM DOWN SOUTH AND GAVE BIRTH TO ILLAJE AND ITSEKIRI. (MIXED IJAWS)

IN DELTA, THE IJAWS SETTELED AND GRADUALLY SPREAD EAST TO BAYELSA.

THEY ARRIVED RIVERS STATE LATE, ATTRACTED BY THE TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE, WHICH THEY ARE MIDDLE MEN SELLING IGBOS.

OGONI WERE BROUGHT FROM GHANA BY THE BRITISH TO ACT AS MIDDLE MEN IN SELLING IGBOS.

IJAW DONT OWN BAYELSA. EVEN YENAGOA IS NOT IJAWLAND, WE HAVE A NATIVE TRIBE THERE CALLED THE EPIE AND ATISSA.

U STILL HAVE IGBOS IN THAT SAME BAYELSA NORTH.

THIS IS JUST THE TRUTH.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by magzey: 1:38pm On May 15
A very nice town In The picture I hope I can visit it once in the future .
I can only recall my Social studies and History of one great King Jaja of Opobo of blessed Memory grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Wainey: 1:41pm On May 15
hammer567:

WHEN THE YORUBA CAME DOWN FROM THE NORTH TO BINI FROM ILE IFE, THEY FLED SOUTH, IGBOS FLED EAST. URHOBO FOLLOW RUN SOUTHEAST

SINCE THEY FLED SOUTH TO THE SEA AND THE YORUBA KEPT COMING SOUTH, THEY STARTED JUMPING FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND IN AND AROUND ONDO, DELTA MAINLY.

THE YORUBA FOLLWED THEM DOWN SOUTH AND GAVE BIRTH TO ILLAJE AND ITSEKIRI.

IN DELTA, THE IJAWS SETTELED AND GRADUALLY SPREAD EAST.

THEY ARRIVED RIVERS STATE LATE ATTRACTED BY THE TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE, WHICH THEY ARE MIDDLE MEN SELLING IGBOS.

IJAW DONT OWN BAYELSA. EVEN YENAGOA IS NOT IJAWLAND, WE HAVE A NATIVE TRIBE THERE CALLED THE EPIE AND ATISSA.

THIS IS JUST THE TRUTH.
grin all these igbo boys sef.
Chukwudi rest abeg

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Timetravel88: 1:42pm On May 15
CapitalBank:
I am an igbo person and I will not watch you bring your nonsense here. Rivers state has Ijaw people... Yes, there are Igbo descents there but don't say the entire Rivers state is Igbo land.... don't dare that nonsense.

The response is on the argument that Bonny is Ijaw land, this is very debatable considering the people themselves claim to be Igbo descendants.
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by hammer567: 1:42pm On May 15
Wainey:
grin all these igbo boys sef.
Chukwudi rest abeg

I DEY SCHOOL U NOW, U NO GO LEARN. cool

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Wainey: 1:46pm On May 15
hammer567:

I DEY SCHOOL U NOW, U NO GO LEARN. cool
thank u chukwudi for the schooling.

How is Nnewi today?
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Almaigaa: 1:57pm On May 15
Pathfinder2090:

Coming from a native of brown roof😂

E pain am grin

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Almaigaa: 2:00pm On May 15
Cj4charles:
na your problem be this??

Wailing loading grin
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Almaigaa: 2:02pm On May 15
nony43:

What is this ? If they throw insult at you you start crying.

Being it on Emeka

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Malawian(m): 2:13pm On May 15
I am going to say something i have been thinking. Those Igbos found in Bioko, they were probably the Igbos these Ijaw, Urhobo and isoko people displaced from their original homeland. Those three groups used to live among the bini in Binin Kingdom before they dispersed into their current locations.

hammer567:

WHEN THE YORUBA CAME DOWN FROM THE NORTH TO BINI FROM ILE IFE, THEY FLED SOUTH, IGBOS FLED EAST. URHOBO FOLLOW RUN SOUTHEAST

THE YORUBA FOLLWED THEM DOWN SOUTH AND GAVE BIRTH TO ILLAJE AND ITSEKIRI. (MIXED IJAWS)

IN DELTA, THE IJAWS SETTELED AND GRADUALLY SPREAD EAST TO BAYELSA.

THEY ARRIVED RIVERS STATE LATE, ATTRACTED BY THE TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE, WHICH THEY ARE MIDDLE MEN SELLING IGBOS.

OGONI WERE BROUGHT FROM GHANA BY THE BRITISH TO ACT AS MIDDLE MEN IN SELLING IGBOS.

THIS IS JUST THE TRUTH.
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by NaMe4: 2:18pm On May 15
Wainey:
Ok

LOL
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by hammer567: 2:22pm On May 15
Malawian:
I am going to say something i have been thinking. Those Igbos found in Bioko, they were probably the Igbos these Ijaw, Urhobo and isoko people displaced from their original homeland. Those three groups used to live among the bini in Binin Kingdom before they dispersed into their current locations.

BINI IS ORIGINALLY IGBO LAND.

DO YOU KNOW WHY IJAW FLED SOUTH TO THE OCEAN?

IT IS BECAUSE THEIR EAST WAS OCCUPIED BY IGBO.

ESAN ARE IGBO PEOPLE.

URHOBO LANGUAGE IS FULL OF IGBO WORDS, DONT KNOW HOW THEY CAME ABOUT OR WHAT MIX.

WHEN TWO TRIBES MIX THEY CREATE A SUBTRIBE AND LANGUAGE START TO CHANGE.

U SEE WHEN THE YORUBA FOUGHT IJAWS INTO THE SOUTH, THEY PRODUCE ILAJE AND ITSEKIRI MIX.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by hammer567: 2:27pm On May 15
TODAY BINI PEOPLE SPEAK A LANGUAGE THAT IS MIXED IGBO WITH YORUBA.

FOR EXAMPLE: OBA GHA ATO KPERE.

OBA IS YORUBA FOR KING.

GHA IS IGBO FOR WILL.

ATO IS TO BE STUCK/LONG.

KPE IS YORUBA FOR LONG ALSO

OBA MAY YOUR REIGN BE LONG.
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by hammer567: 2:29pm On May 15
ANOTHER ONE THE BINI WILL SAY IS; OGUN GBU E....

OGUN IS YORUBA IDOL

GBU IS IGBO WORD MEANING KILL.

E IS YORUBA FOR YOU. (IN IGBO YOU IS GI)

OGUN KILL YOU

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by CapitalBank: 2:31pm On May 15
Timetravel88:

The response is on the argument that Bonny is Ijaw land, this is very debatable considering the people themselves claim to be Igbo descendants.
My point is the ENTIRE Rivers state is not Igbo land. There are Igbos in Rivers state for sure, I am just saying that you cant call the entire Rivers state as Igbo land because that would be causing more problems.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by NaMe4: 2:32pm On May 15
hammer567:

BINI IS ORIGINALLY IGBO LAND.

DO YOU KNOW WHY IJAW FLED SOUTH TO THE OCEAN?

IT IS BECAUSE THEIR EAST WAS OCCUPIED BY IGBO.

ESAN ARE IGBO PEOPLE.

URHOBO LANGUAGE IS FULL OF IGBO WORDS, DONT KNOW HOW THEY CAME ABOUT OR WHAT MIX.

WHEN TWO TRIBES MIX THEY CREATE A SUBTRIBE AND LANGUAGE START TO CHANGE.

U SEE WHEN THE YORUBA FOUGHT IJAWS INTO THE SOUTH, THEY PRODUCE ILAJE AND ITSEKIRI MIX.

Wetin be this? grin grin grin grin
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by 007kjb: 3:14pm On May 15
Psalmy2cute:
cry more l will bring you a bucket

This ijaws una de make me laugh claiming a place just because they live close to water... maybe NIGERIAN waters is your birth right.... Una IGBOS una de deal with o, make una remove hand for any IGBO territory

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Oyindidi(f): 3:15pm On May 15
ruggedtimi:
the picture u posted is not okrika headquarters...that is Aggrey road, an extention of okrika
Watin una dey drink? Aggrey road an extension of Okrika cheesy this one pass ogogoro
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Believeintruth: 3:20pm On May 15
Wainey:

Dude calm down, we know the post civil war politics at play here
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by peleson1: 4:12pm On May 15
Poiniyisworld:
Please correct me if am mistaken... I thought Ibo is the language spoken by Opobo indigenes.

Igbo is the language of trade .
Just as u speak English.

The north regiion speak Hausa but their are other indigenous languages.

Language does not classify tribe else u could v been called an English man for speaking English.

Opobo language is ibani language.

Igbo is just a language of trade picked up during slave trade the trade won't understand what their Opobo mastere doing.

Slaves ld then were mostly Igbo regrettably

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by SlavaUkraini: 4:14pm On May 15
Malawian:

So that you Ijaw will not "Adaka Boro" them right? Ijaw might go extinct the day Igbo regains their strenght.

The Igbos have no strength to regain..

You only regain what was lost...

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by ruggedtimi(m): 4:14pm On May 15
Oyindidi:
Watin una dey drink? Aggrey road an extension of Okrika cheesy this one pass ogogoro
so who get aggrey road?
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by OfoIgbo: 4:16pm On May 15
wiseoneking:
Bonny people claim an Igbo decent even in 1850s from the page of the book you attached written by the Europeans. I am not from rivers state but my mother born eighty years ago in Opobo spoke Igbo as her first language. She's not Igbo by the way.

I watched a documentary about opobo but they are heavily of Igbo stock.

But Jaja of Opobo, the founder and owner of Opobo was an Igbo man, and he practised omenana which is the Igbo religion and culture.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by OfoIgbo: 4:24pm On May 15
LOVEALAIGBO:

Bros, what you see happening has its roots in the uncivil war and post war period, when some Ijaw, emboldened by the encouragement and support they got from their Fulani/Yoruba hegemonic 'liberators', proceeded to try and 'landlock' Igboland by 'ijawnising' all city-states and settlements along the coast! Have you ever wondered why bigoted Igbo-haters from certain ethnicities outside the south-south/south-east are obsessed with the idea that Alaigbo is 'landlocked'....ALWAYS siding with the Ijaw on issues pertaining to the ethnic identity of Opobo, Bonny, etc.....going insane with anger when there's any linkage or commonality of purpose of all ethnicities in the south-south and south-east, yet don't mind hearing of 'one north'!? Remember when a certain useless president made the unfortunate gloating remark of Igboland being 'a dot in a circle'? Remember the set of bigots that got a serious boner over said comment? Few days after he made that remark, he was visited by Diette-Spiff, with a retinue of Bayelsa chiefs in tow, and they all were grinning from ear to ear, looking pleased that they had accomplished something!

The confidence the Fulani hegemonic cabal, that passed for the Buhari gov't, has to go after the Biafra/Kanu secessionist agenda derives from their belief that the Ijaw are their partners in this, and this is why you see threads like this trying to sell the wrong notion that Ijaw 'own' the entire coastline of Nigeria from Lagos to Calabar....thereby implying Alaigbo is 'landlocked' and hemmed into 'just your 5 south-east states' which was delineated for them by the 'liberators' and their Ijaw partners in 1967! This is why i warn that Ndigbo should be wary sharing the same country wth three ethnicities in particular, because it has become apparent over the years that these groups stated aim is to undermine Igbo territorial, economic and political interests in 'one Nigeria'! We can NEVER reach our full potential sharing the same country with these three groups of people! TO BE FORE-WARNED IS TO BE FOR-EARMED!

I am aware of what you have written. That is why you see them angry and worried about what Barrister Uche Okwukwu keeps saying. He is currently gunning to become the Ohanaeze Ndigbo PG, when Rivers state is expected to produce the PG next year.
They don't want someone like Okwukwu being in charge of Ohanaeze as he is sure to assert his Igboness so completely, and very likely to get these Igbo territories on the fringes to assert their Igboness also.
This scenario scares Igbo haters, and those who are landgrabbing Igbo territories in Rivers state.

I make it clear to them that their gas-lighting does not work on me. Every inch of Igbo territory will remain Igbo forever, and Igbos will bulldoze any ethnic group that intends to wickedly appropriate God-given Igbo territories as theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Malawian(m): 4:25pm On May 15
SlavaUkraini:

The Igbos have no strength to regain..

You only regain what was lost...
You know when Adaka Boro use 15 days to do him "Ijaw Republic" and inside those 15 days, he use 13 days take hide from Eastern Region Military Government. The remaining two days na the first day wey him and his Tombo comrades finish their kaikai, enter kaima to Jirate, and the last day na when we catch am as a swamp pig hiding deep inside Bayelsa Creeks.

Na that kind strenght fit una.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by SlavaUkraini: 4:33pm On May 15
Malawian:

You know when Adaka Boro use 15 days to do him "Ijaw Republic" and inside those 15 days, he use 13 days take hide from Eastern Region Military Government. The remaining two days na the first day wey him and his Tombo comrades finish their kaikai, enter kaima to Jirate, and the last day na when we catch am as a swamp pig hiding deep inside Bayelsa Creeks.

Na that kind strenght fit una.

Wetin dey worry this one ?

So for your mind, me I be ijaw man ?

Ok oo...

Koide
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Malawian(m): 4:33pm On May 15
This Gbu e is what i always heard among the Esan. Esan is the one i will say has quite a bit of Igbo words in their language.

Like Oya means "Sickness"

hammer567:

OGUN IS YORUBA IDOL

OGUN KILL YOU
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by Malawian(m): 4:43pm On May 15
SlavaUkraini:

So for your mind, me I be ijaw man ?

Ok oo...

Koide
ị bọla chi?
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by SlavaUkraini: 4:45pm On May 15
Malawian:

ị bọla chi?

Oli ranor
Re: Pictures Of The Ijaw Town Of Opobo Rivers State. by lebuhsi(m): 4:49pm On May 15
hammer567:

OGUN IS YORUBA IDOL

OGUN KILL YOU

I like the version of Hammer abeg, continue to be scholarly. please no terrorist shit abeg, stop am😏

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ondo: Trailer Crushes 2 Kids Of The Same Parents To Death (Graphic Photos) / Another Corps Member Dies In Motor Accident On His Way Home After POP / True Story: The Married UK 'prostitute' From Nigeria And The Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.