Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,699 members, 7,862,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:10 AM

This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. (38146 Views)

Electricity: Most Discos Are Technically Insolvent— NERC / Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters / Discos Are Sabotaging Fg’s Efforts - MURIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by meum: 2:01pm On May 17
Hmm
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by 3ice9ce: 2:01pm On May 17
AnambraPikinSel:
Nah Aba this one dey stay and he will be everywhere dissing Lagos State.

Most of them are ignorant bush-dwellers without exposure.
The one called Racoon doesn't know the difference between Ikeja and Epe, yet he's always talking down on Lagos.

That's why I laugh at the stupidity of Yorubas who claim to be Obidients.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by peterdakwal(m): 2:02pm On May 17
Nigerians are bypassing meters. Discos companies keep loosing
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by safarifarms(m): 2:07pm On May 17
true
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by israelmao(m): 2:10pm On May 17
Estimated billing system is a cesspool of corruption in which Disco are wallowing.
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by BigCowHornn: 2:11pm On May 17
AnambraPikinSel:

Most of the fine cloths and shoe you use came from there not Italy

Aba is developed with big industries

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Nolevel666: 2:15pm On May 17
peterdakwal:
Nigerians are bypassing meters. Discos companies keep loosing
Because they are not earning enough to cover their bills.
How do you expect someone earning 35k to buy prepaid card of 10k a month?
Him no go chop or pay rent?
Him no go save?
Him no go enter transport?
What if him phone screen break, him no go change am?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Orch1981: 2:17pm On May 17
AnambraPikinSel:

Don't hold your useless otti serious keep pokenosing into affair of Lagos state,we will leave to see how your abia can be lagos
See osun state man wey them go soon deport
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Watinhapen(m): 2:18pm On May 17
Prepaid meter can never be compared to estimated billing. Estimated billing is a big scam. I’m using prepaid meter and I know how little I spend because of the epileptic power supply. I haven’t spent up to 20k since last year June till now.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by CheapHomes1: 2:21pm On May 17
AnambraPikinSel:

Don't hold your useless otti serious keep pokenosing into affair of Lagos state,we will leave to see how your abia can be lagos
is Otti in charge of power supply?

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Neoteny(m): 2:22pm On May 17
jmoore:
I stay in Aba. The hype that came with the commissioning of geometric has not lived up to expectation. Only few areas who are in the minority are enjoying regular power supply from geometric power station while the rest are under epileptic supply sourced via TCN.

About two weeks I went to a place near Ngwa road, Ogwo road, I noticed that Aba power has started free mass metering in areas that have been connected to geometric.

My observation is that DISCOs will not generate much revenue if all customers have prepaid meters when the power is epileptic and insufficent. They prefer estimated billing, because they can generate revenue for supplying darkness. But if power is sufficient and stable, they will do free mass metering to generate much revenue.

There are 3 shops in our compound that share a prepaid meter. About a month ago, their balance was 4.10kwh. The credit has not exhausted because of poor supply. If it was estimated bill, they would have spent 10,000 in just 2 months.

Nonsense.

Discos too are billed by the Market Operator and bulk trader same as customers are billed by discos.

Estimated billed customers don't pay the full billed amount because they dispute it. The Discos end up losing as the unsettled invoices end up in thd receivables ledger while the market demands minimum remittances that are often higher than the total collection.

If, however, the customers are metered, the Discos settle market invoices only according to what was consumed.

Therefore, discos lose more if fewer customers pay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Hakeem66: 2:22pm On May 17
kennyz247:
Disco will surely make more money with no installation of pre paid meter
I don't think so. Many will be consuming more than the estimated bill given to them. Once there's a constant power supply, metering everyone will be to the advantage of the discos.

One woman operating a restaurant with two deep freezers has been paying her electricity bill up to date, but the NEPA officials later decided to conduct a proper investigation. They discovered that she's operating a cold room with 10 giant deep freezers inside the building and using the restaurant as a cover-up.

If you bill her 60k a month, she will gladly pay because she knows she is cheating them.

There are many others like her in different parts of the country. Some have mini factories in their residential apartments but still pay residential house electricity bill.

These are people making life difficult for those on estimated bill. They consume electricity as factories but pay as residential. The other energy consumed would then be shared to the estimated customers.

Nigerians can be dubious; we don't seem to want a working society. We always want to cheat, which is why many are suffering for the sins of a few. Energy theft is rampant in this country, and I pity those on estimated bills in areas with an epileptic power supply.

4 Likes

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by eldoradoxx: 2:23pm On May 17
Na today? A very close confidant told me the same thing. Discos are not ready to give pre-paid meters so that they can use estimated billing. Infact estimated billing is why electricity is not improving. Federal Government should use the concept they used in the telecom sector in solving the electricity crisis. Who ever can import or locally produce and distribute the meters should do so directly to Nigerians, just as telecom service providers dont have any business in distributing telephone sets.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Everlastingson: 2:25pm On May 17
Where I live presently NEPA charges EVERY compound on postpaid meter and those without meter at all an average of #35k per month for non flat buildings and #25k per flat per month for those living in flats. Still the power you no see. Criminal is understatement.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by badoh(m): 2:27pm On May 17
If Discos can meter all houses and ensure constant distribution of electricity, what should follow is prosecution of anyone involved in illegal tapping of electricity. A lot of Nigerians are involved in this rubbish by making use of their electricians and same set of people want better Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Pray4meJC(m): 2:30pm On May 17
Otamendi99:

Well, i prefer estimated billing to prepaid. My bill is not much. I pay like 10k. I get to use my ACs and energy consuming appliances.

You are part of the rotteness in the system. What you are doing is stealing electricity through ACs and electric cookers etc and consuming up to 70k monthly. The balance amount is tracked through general meter installed at the transformer. Now because DISCOs are very lazy and corrupt themselves to track bypassing customers and energy thieves, they spread these balance amount to the rest innocent customers while thieves like you and those bypassing meter go about feeling smart. Most welders in Nigeria don't ever pay for energy, they just hang wire. Nigerians are not ready yet to enjoy 24/7 electricity. Energy theft must be purge out from the system entirely. This is similar to the browsing cheat experience in the telecom sector decade(s) ago.

You are a thief and no thief go ever enter heaven

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Everlastingson: 2:30pm On May 17
Neoteny:

Nonsense.

Discos too are billed by the Market Operator and bulk trader same as customers are billed by discos.

Estimated billed customers don't pay the full billed amount because they dispute it. The Discos end up losing as the unsettled invoices end up in thd receivables ledger while the market demands minimum remittances that are often higher than the total collection.

If, however, the customers are metered, the Discos settle market invoices only according to what was consumed.

Therefore, discos lose more if fewer customers pay.

If your claim is true why then do DISCOs not want to meter people, even after paying for meter?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by daveP(m): 2:33pm On May 17
Conclusion: Suppliers are not ready to supply light and billing the proper way

The Greed has been so consistent it is now feeling like their right to wield against Consumers. You're afraid of supplying Kwh to consumers the proper way because you fear no gain or gains of gigantic greed? They never ready. Also shows they have no business handling the entire system.

You prefer the blackout billing cos it is 3ple estimated billing gains?? Smh.

So 45k for blackout in a month. It keeps piling up. Till a compound of tenants have 1.6m outstanding that we all know is all proceeds of a greedy billing for nothing.

To sanitize this system vs the npf, i dunno which has more cesspits and dunghills.
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Everlastingson: 2:35pm On May 17
Curious345:
Something happened to day

A lady was smashed by a hit and run BRT bus.. 10metres away ,and within line of sight , the Nigerian police officers with 2 Hilux mounted a checkpoint ,collecting bribe .

They refused to help and feigned ignorance

Are you surprised? The Nigerian police do worse than that
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by wallaze(m): 2:37pm On May 17
Problem is most Nigerians can't afford steady power supply
Power is expensive if you have 24hr steady. Power u will beg to go back to epileptic mether of supply
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Maobichek: 2:38pm On May 17
jmoore:

You can't even pretend for once to be sane.

Must you always disgrace yourself in every thread with lame sarcasm?

Good day, is Magic FM area via Opobo junction side, Ogbor-Hill still on extimated bills? Starline, Magic FM, Toengine etc do have sustainable power supply even before the coming of Alex Otti.
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by GloriousGbola: 2:42pm On May 17
jmoore:
I stay in Aba. The hype that came with the commissioning of geometric has not lived up to expectation. Only few areas who are in the minority are enjoying regular power supply from geometric power station while the rest are under epileptic supply sourced via TCN.

About two weeks I went to a place near Ngwa road, Ogwo road, I noticed that Aba power has started free mass metering in areas that have been connected to geometric.

My observation is that DISCOs will not generate much revenue if all customers have prepaid meters when the power is epileptic and insufficent. They prefer estimated billing, because they can generate revenue for supplying darkness. But if power is sufficient and stable, they will do free mass metering to generate much revenue.

There are 3 shops in our compound that share a prepaid meter. About a month ago, their balance was 4.10kwh. The credit has not exhausted because of poor supply. If it was estimated bill, they would have spent 10,000 in just 2 months.

This so a very poor measurement by you.The load of a shop is insignificant. Fridge and light. Maybe fan. Not more than 500w
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by jmoore(m): 2:43pm On May 17
Maobichek:

Good day, is Magic FM area via Opobo junction side, Ogbor-Hill still on extimated bills? Starline, Magic FM, Toengine etc do have sustainable power supply even before the coming of Alex Otti.
I don't work with Abapower so I don't have the information on which side has estimated billing or metered.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by AnambraPikinSel: 2:44pm On May 17
CheapHomes1:
is Otti in charge of power supply?

But he was praised for the same power before
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by AnambraPikinSel: 2:44pm On May 17
Orch1981:

See osun state man wey them go soon deport

You go deport isheri man from Lagos?
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by AnambraPikinSel: 2:45pm On May 17
BigCowHornn:

Most of the fine cloths and shoe you use came from there not Italy

Aba is developed with big industries

Aba is pig pen

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by jmoore(m): 2:50pm On May 17
GloriousGbola:

This so a very poor measurement by you.The load of a shop is insignificant. Fridge and light. Maybe fan. Not more than 500w
I don't think you understood my comment. One of the shops is used by an electrician, the 2nd shop is used by one that does printing job, eg wedding cards, the last shop is into monogram. 4.10kwh credit was not exhausted in 2 months because of poor power supply.
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Lordave: 2:58pm On May 17
Maobichek:

I think they're still on estimated.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by BadBradley: 3:00pm On May 17
AnambraPikinSel:
empty fool
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by Bluntemperor: 3:08pm On May 17
Attention Mr Adebayo- Power Minister:
DISCOS, GENCO, TCN,etc,are all Fraud.
•National Grid is a Fraud - for failure to Supply Regular and Constant Light to over 200+Millions -NIGERIANS-since independence!
-Just as you see NNPC,other MDAs( Poverty Alieviation Ministry,Air Nigeria,etc are ALL -Conduit pipe- that Nigerians are paying dearly for them!
1•What is difficult in DISCOS- Ogas/ Workers- in ensuring that ALL Houses and All-Business Organisations in Nigeria, including DISCOS Offices,NNPC,Dangote, National Assembly Members and their National Assembly -Complexes have Pre- Paid Meters!
-But rather because of Greed,Evil, Unpatriotic elements in them
2•- Many Companies of Interests to the Ogas at Top have No Pre- Paid Metres,and as they are left Un- Metred,so they( DISCOS ) have Revenue Losses every now and then!
3•Is Minister Adebayo also aware that those Companies that are Metred - this DISCOS Officials also teach the Companies on how to - remove their Cables from time to time - so that they charged less?
4•Why do they ration TRANSFORMERS Usages -EVERYWHERE IN Nigeria= Corruption!
5•Nigerians( East, West ,North and South) are waiting for when we shall ALL be alive - to see 24/ 7 lights and Celebrate the Non- Stop- Power Sector Lights ,as done by Ghana and Benin-Republic!
-Enough of using Generators in our homes and Offices- we want Power to drive Nigerian Industilisation - Not Generators.
Now that Accumulated Debts of DISCOS and others Power Sector is paid,the Minister should be on the lookout for those who would not like this important Power Sector to move and deal with them.There will always be a Demons and the Devil-working as a Scape-goats in every Organisation and in a Nation !
Re: This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:09pm On May 17
jmoore:

So if they write 50k for estimated bill, you will pay all?

I didn't say the bill will be 5k per month. Whatever the amount written there, we paid 5k when we were still on estimated.

Anyone that pays in full, na em sabi.
but the remaining go to outstanding...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Uche Nwosu: Rochas Okorocha Reacts To Arrest Of Son In-law (video) / Saraki Vs IGP: Photos From President Buhari's Meeting With Senate Delegation / 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.