Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,461 members, 7,846,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:30 AM

36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police (7849 Views)

Bola Tinubu Meets Assembly Speakers Of APC Controlled States (Pictures) / North West Speakers Endorse Tinubu's Presidential Bid Ahead Of 2023 / Two Edo Assembly Speakers Emerge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Man102: 6:32am On May 17
Speakers of the 36 Houses of Assembly across the country have endorsed ongoing work by the National Assembly to make provision for state policing in the nation’s constitution.

The speakers made their resolution known at the end of a meeting in Abuja on Thursday night.

Recall that the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Egbetokun, had rejected the call for state police.

According to him, Nigeria is not mature for state police.

Egbetokun stated this in April at a national dialogue on state police organised by the House of Representatives in Abuja.

The theme of the dialogue is ‘Pathways to Peace: Reimagining Policing in Nigeria’.

Egbetokun, who was represented by Ben Okolo, an Assistant Inspector-General of Police, said Nigeria is not ready for the establishment of state police.

“On the issue of state police, it is the submission of the leadership of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) that Nigeria is not yet mature and ready for the establishment of state-controlled police,” he said.

The IGP also claimed that state governors were likely to abuse the privilege of state police by using it for political gains, leading to possible abuse of power and abuse of human rights.

“State governors could use the police forces under their control for political or personal gain and undermine human rights and security. There would also be a conflict of jurisdiction,” he noted.

Source : https://politicsnigeria.com/breaking-36-assembly-speakers-endorse-state-police/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by SadiqBabaSani: 6:34am On May 17
Ii do not support state Police

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by LadyExcellency: 6:38am On May 17
SadiqBabaSani:

What is different between the State vigilante and State police? If you can support vigilantes then you have it.

32 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by IgOga(m): 6:40am On May 17
Who approved it for Rivers state grin

14 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by atiku4President(m): 6:41am On May 17
Good development

4 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by mankan2k7(m): 7:38am On May 17
State Police, politicians errand boys

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by MolleyShirer: 7:38am On May 17
What if You Could Land Your Dream Job?

Imagine walking into a room full of top employers in Nigeria (or abroad). Amidst the sea of hopeful candidates, your CV shines bright, attracting attention and piquing interest.

With our CV writing services, that dream can become a reality. We tailor your CV to ensure it not only looks the part but truly showcases your potential and achievements.

Don't just take our word for it. Here's what Nuel C. from Lagos had to say:

"Before using the Paulwelj CV services, I was sending out CVs with little success. After the revamp, I had 5 interview invites in just one week!"

And Obeh G. from Kuwait says:
"Thank you for a job well done. Thank you, I really do appreciate. New opportunities have opened to me. Thank you again."

Why wait? Seize the opportunity and elevate your CV game. Our Whatsapp contact is in the flyer below. Chat us NOW!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by BossGerald: 7:39am On May 17
Nonsense

They should create state police already and stop this nonesense back and forth

10 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Cmanforall: 7:39am On May 17
Ok

Hope the State Police will be independent

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by MEEVEET: 7:40am On May 17
Sweet there should be no limit to the arms state Police can use ooh

Just saying

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by greypencils: 7:40am On May 17
Man102:

Source : https://politicsnigeria.com/breaking-36-assembly-speakers-endorse-state-police/
The IGP refused the idea of state police because he knows his powers as IGP will dwindle significantly if implemented.

14 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by ATEAMS: 7:40am On May 17
Ok
Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Freestainworld(m): 7:41am On May 17
I don't support state police because they will automatically become the state governors glorified thugs against their opponents.

4 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by MEEVEET: 7:41am On May 17
SadiqBabaSani:
We know... And we both know them no born you well to talk the real reason you don't want it

And let me tell you... Yes your fear would happen

4 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:41am On May 17
Welcome development

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Ashez: 7:41am On May 17
Okay

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:41am On May 17
SadiqBabaSani:
I see your name and truly Fulani men like you would not support state police. Your obvious agenda and motives are the reason for the push for state police.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Ochyes: 7:41am On May 17
This is a welcome development

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Kobicove(m): 7:42am On May 17
I don't care who endorses this idea, personally speaking I do not support having state police in Nigeria

Here on Nairaland some people can't have a difference of opinion without dragging tribe into it, imagine what would now happen if two people from different tribes have a disagreement and the matter is taken to the state police of one of the parties, their is no way the judgement will be fair.

Some states in Nigeria are not economically viable and are struggling to pay basic salaries of their existing staff, you now want to add the burden of paying salaries of state policemen.

During elections it means the incumbent state governor can use apparatus of state police to rig and witchhunt the opposition, and he will succeed since the commissioner for police in the state will dance to the governor's tune since he appointed him!

The problems this thing would create are just too many! undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by OmoAlphonso101: 7:42am On May 17
More evils events is comings within that state police

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:43am On May 17
Nothing remain than Ebola to assent to it and it becomes a law. Someone like Fubara will use it as an advantage to hit Wike uppercut with blisters everywhere

2 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by tfelicityk(m): 7:43am On May 17
Most state that can't afford to pay their workers minimum wages are adopting State Police. The out other security outfits they created to curb other measures of indiscipline in the state had to turned to beast.

They want to add more pressure to the federal government.

1 Like

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by greypencils: 7:43am On May 17
Freestainworld:
I don't support state police because they will automatically become the state governors glorified thugs against their opponents.
At this point, anything to stem the tide of wanton kidnapping by herdsmen is welcome. A governor is there for a maximum of 8 years, kidnapping and other forms of violence not nipped in the bud now will spell doom to the entire country. If farmers desert the farms and rural areas due to kidnapping, how do you feed?

8 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Sleyk: 7:46am On May 17
People wey no want state police, them dey support HISHBA for their region ooo....mad people everywhere.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by AbuTwins: 7:46am On May 17
Na to mitigate against these governors remain now!

They will pay lawyers to look for loopholes in such laws for them to operate...
Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Dilijingsly(m): 7:46am On May 17
IGP won't like this news cos they are going to scrap powers from him.

2 Likes

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by yommygift15: 7:47am On May 17
IgOga:
Who approved it for Rivers state grin
Bro, walahi u're not serious at all, how on earth will u even think and remember River state in this manner, Nigerians and contents sha!
Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Besuccesful: 7:47am On May 17
That's amazing

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Godswillu(m): 7:49am On May 17
My question who will pay the state police?
is it the state that can not pay minimum wage and how much will be there salaries
Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Teenaira: 7:52am On May 17
MolleyShirer:
They have started agreeing to Peter Obi had been saying since

Leave what Peter Obi is saying. What is your own view ? You might even have a better suggestion compared to what Peter Obi is saying.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 Assembly Speakers Endorse State Police by Mayeldah(m): 7:55am On May 17
State police is welcomed

At least to fight Fulani terrorists and bandits without interference from Abuja.

Reason Fulani bandits can kill and kidnap without a corresponding response from the police is because Abuja police hq is controlled by Fulanis in the corridors of government. Forget Egbetokun is Yoruba, he is a stooge of the Fulanis. Even Tinubu is a stooge of the Fulanis.

If I control policing in my state, I can deploy the police efficiently to curb crime without any political interference.

Crime in Nigeria is mostly state sponsored.

6 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Tinubu can lead Yoruba –Bishop Adebiyi / World Remembers Nelson Mandela Today. / Killing Of My 3 Sons Planned By GEJ—Nigeria’s Shiite Leader, Sheikh El-ZakZaky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.