Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,439 members, 7,853,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:43 AM

Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK (28793 Views)

Before Vs Now: Mommy 60 Years In Nigeria Vs 4 Months In UK (video) / Ghanaian Man In Diaspora Gathers Snow To Send Back Home (video) / Ghanaian Man Grinds Pepper Inside An Airplane (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Kingpele(m): 11:10am On May 17
Nawaoh
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by cunny88(m): 11:10am On May 17
There is no place like home. Imagine being treated as shit despite putting his life on the line for UK. The earlier we Africans realise we need to do invest and put everything into making Africa good the better.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Kellie069(m): 11:11am On May 17
But if you don’t have a passport of a country, then how do you claim to be a citizen?? You can reside and work in a country and enjoy every benefit that citizens enjoy but that doesn’t make you a citizen! For more than 40years, you didnt apply for passport because you thought it was your country, when nor be say na there dem for born you! You are an immigrant that has stay and work permit! That’s all

8 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Akalia(m): 11:12am On May 17
He can relocate to his homeland and enjoy the rest of his good life, since he has grown up sons in the UK who are British. For one thing, he won't suffer material lack cos his sons will always send him money for upkeep.
If I were him at his age I will say "Bleep British citizenship" then I will head back to my homeland where I will likely die and be buried in peace and with honor.

6 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Evidenx(m): 11:13am On May 17
Timoleon:
undecided

It took a while due to bureaucratic bottlenecks, but yes, they found his file.
grin grin grin
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by AngelicBeing: 11:13am On May 17
Hmmmmm
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by SmartyPants(m): 11:14am On May 17
Orathird:
But did he do the right thing?

Did he apply when he supposed to apply?

Law was made for man not man for the law. Common sense and good morals help to keep the society sane even as we apply the law! This is an obvious injustice.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by AngelicBeing: 11:16am On May 17
ednut1:
He is at fault . Never applied for passport all this years, never left the country too. This man no get sense abeg
village Witches @ work , Haha 😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Hackie90s(m): 11:17am On May 17
If my country get basic things wetin person dey find go obodo oyibo 🤔

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by IamAtAnger: 11:20am On May 17
As a Ghanaian u go gat fill form to get sense 🤣😅

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Tealcrestmedia(m): 11:20am On May 17
xile:
Dey play. Black is black

I will return back to my Ghana Jejely. After spending many years in UK. Can't afford 10k pounds. Japa in the mud

That was the scariest part of this post. Like you spent 42years in the UK and don't have £10k, hmm God have mercy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Golan007: 11:21am On May 17
Mister man, let us say the truth,: you aren't british.
grin
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by centpado(m): 11:21am On May 17
After studying and getting a post study visa, he would have followed the process to become a British citizen after 10yrs likely, but he waited till after 44years …. Very wonderful

6 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ednut1(m): 11:22am On May 17
Blitzking:
How come some ppl are qualified to get the British passport after 5yrs of stay and work un the uk
they applied, he didn’t apply

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Timoleon(m): 11:22am On May 17
Kellie069:
But if you don’t have a passport of a country, then how do you claim to be a citizen?? You can reside and work in a country and enjoy every benefit that citizens enjoy but that doesn’t make you a citizen! For more than 40years, you didnt apply for passport because you thought it was your country, when nor be say na there dem for born you! You are an immigrant that has stay and work permit! That’s all

Most citizens of any given country don't have passports. People only apply for passport when they want to travel. Having a passport is not a requirement for citizenship. It is a requirement for travel though.

6 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ibechris(m): 11:22am On May 17
xile:
Dey play. Black is black

I will return back to my Ghana Jejely. After spending many years in UK. Can't afford 10k pounds. Japa in the mud

That is the one that shocked me.

How can u not have 10 pounds...hah.
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ednut1(m): 11:24am On May 17
Akalia:
He can relocate to his homeland and enjoy the rest of his good life, since he has grown up sons in the UK who are British. For one thing, he won't suffer material lack cos his sons will always send him money for upkeep.
If I were him at his age I will say "Bleep British citizenship" then I will head back to my homeland where I will likely die and be buried in peace and with honor.
the concept of sending money to parents doesn’t exist for children born abroad. His current legal fees that he cant afford, did you hear any of his children assisting?

8 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Hassanmaye(m): 11:25am On May 17
EnglishUsa:
He is too dark to be given UK citizenship grin grin
Hahahaha You are a bad guy and your name is so sarcastic to the Post
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by samsard(m): 11:25am On May 17
What stood out to me was the fact that the man has not visited his mom all those years until she died. Like what the fudge,

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ComeToJesus: 11:25am On May 17
EnglishUsa:
He is too dark to be given UK citizenship grin grin

Silly take

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ComeToJesus: 11:29am On May 17
Assumption is dangerous.
Surefootedness is key.
Specificity and intentionality cannot be over emphasized.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by beejay85: 11:36am On May 17
mankan2k7:
U have seen it all, go back to Ghana.
how many friends will he know/Have at 77yrs? as uneasy as it is,let his British children fund his comfortable resettlement back to Ghana..
Since the coup affected his education,I guess his parents were possibly one of those corrupt civil servant/contractor converting 1000 to 100000 back in the days grin
So much for karma

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by WeLive: 11:38am On May 17
Does it mean he has not been renewing his passport?
ednut1:
He is at fault . Never applied for passport all this years, never left the country too. This man no get sense abeg
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by babsbolad: 11:38am On May 17
He is an immigrant who left Ghana for the UK over four decades ago, he wasn't born in the UK. You don't need to apply for a passport if you're are born in the UK until you want to travel out of the UK, and you must have lived in the UK continuously for nothing less than seven years before you can have a British passport. But in his own case, as an immigrant, once you have stayed in the UK ( on a sponsorship visa ) for five years, you'll have to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) and after that you are qualify to apply for a citizenship. Irrespective of your immigration status in the UK, you have to follow the due process.
Timoleon:

Most citizens of any given country don't have passports. People only apply for passport when they want to travel. Having a passport is not a requirement for citizenship. It is a requirement for travel though.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by SEGLIZ: 11:38am On May 17
condensedmilk:
Ghana embassy should give him passport to visit Ghana
same way our Nigerians have gotten a Nigerian extension over only to start voting their own President.

still, it is what it is, until we start having visionary leaders back home before we go off the grip of slavery. our leaders are enslaving us we back home outside those we run to for refuge makes a mess out of us.
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by rajiedreez: 11:38am On May 17
ASSUMPTION is a very bad thing for one to rely his or her existence on.

He assumed he's a citizen already since he wasn't disturbed.

That's not how the law works, but he could be exempted since he was a senior citizen

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Timoleon(m): 11:45am On May 17
babsbolad:
He is an immigrant who left Ghana for the UK over four decades ago, he wasn't born in the UK. You don't need to apply for a passport if you're are born in the UK until you want to travel out of the UK, and you must have lived in the UK continuously for nothing less than seven years before you can have a British passport. But in his own case, as an immigrant, once you have stayed in the UK ( on a sponsorship visa ) for five years, you'll have to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) and after that you are qualify to apply for a citizenship. Irrespective of your immigration status in the UK, you have to follow the due process.
he didn't that in his earlier years, managed to live in the UK without problems, married a British woman without problems, was involved with police and even awarded, married a second British woman. He never needed the passport. The reason he applied was because he wanted to travel. If not, he had taken it for granted that having married a citizen, given birth to British children, UK was his home.

Should he have applied for a passport or even citizenship earlier? Yes. He was however not in a situation where he needed to.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Timoleon(m): 11:46am On May 17
rajiedreez:
ASSUMPTION is a very bad thing for one to rely his or her existence on.

He assumed he's a citizen already since he wasn't disturbed.

That's not how the law works, but he could be exempted since he was a senior citizen

Yes. He had also married a British citizen twice, gave birth to kids too. He took things for granted.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by ednut1(m): 11:47am On May 17
WeLive:
Does it mean he has not been renewing his passport?
Never travelled outside the country. Didn’t maintain his ghana passport too
Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Akalia(m): 11:51am On May 17
ednut1:
the concept of sending money to parents doesn’t exist for children born abroad. His current legal fees that he cant afford, did you hear any of his children assisting?
Nawa o.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by Ybholy(m): 11:58am On May 17
Akalia:

His kids will be sending him what? Think again.

Foreign kids don’t see their parent’s responsibilities as their own.

Get your findings straight. If he leave there, he’d better put things in place to help me cater for himself, else. Na shege pro max.

The kids may not even come Ghana if he die and it’s normal to them. Any silly excuse is enough for them, school, vacation, sick or battling depression 😂

The man sef no visit his parents after his studies but busy living his life in UK and getting married to two women and giving birth. 44yrs, you never visit your parents or siblings. Until the parents die.

70+ people still work for themselves in most foreign countries. If you can’t work again and take care of yourself, they’ll take you to care homes. No child will take your full care and all that.

Tax payers money is used to take care of those in care homes. No one puts his life on hold to cater for older parent abroad (some countries esp US).

So, live right and take care of your health when you can ✌️

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Man Told He Is Not British After 42 Years In UK by JoeEeL(m): 12:01pm On May 17
"He's not british".

That's very correct.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Avoid Libya; Death Penalty Awaits You There – Nigeria Warns Migrants / Helicopter Crashes In Sokoto State / Boat Capsizes In Kebbi Killing Many Villagers. Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.