Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,803 members, 7,866,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:49 AM

Need Advice About Going Into Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Need Advice About Going Into Farming (295 Views)

I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! / I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year / Please I Need Your Advice Before Venturing Into Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice About Going Into Farming by incogni2o: 7:04pm On May 19
I am about to get some Acres of Land with a stream as the boundary about 10km from where Ilive but about 2km from the express road

Some of my Farming Ideas include.

Rice Farming
Cat Fish Farming
Vegetable Farming (Ewedu and Efo)
Maize Farming
Oil Palm Farming
YAM Farming
Also Poultry.

Focusing on just one may be boring to me.

I am a novice when it comes to Farming

I also know a lot of people have dived into Farming in Nigeria and have failed, including.my.Dad who left it due to thieves.

I still beleive that if everything is done right and challenges are properly planned for and handled , Farming is a profitable and fulfilling venture.

I am currently a full-time 9-5 and have about 3 days to work from Home.

I am planning to begin Farming even if its from a small scale.
I will like to be firstly focused on stability of Staff, infrastructure, Logistics and Human resources before thinking of profit. I'll also prefer investing in good infrastructure like surveillance and security at first , rather than profit and ill also prefer to start small.

I just need advice that can help me plan properly and execute the plans.

To established Farmers , what are some advices you'd give to someone like me.

Can anyone help with a Business Plan that has worked?

One of my Friends adviced the best is to invest in BOT companies that will establish the business for you(for instance oil palm) and transfer after about 3 years due to the risks of inexperience.

Location is SouthWest. There is a community close where on can get Labour.
Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by ProjectsCityNG: 7:07pm On May 19

The distance is a major major. You need to declare more information about the location. I once secured a fifty acres somewhere but the village had too few people for labour jobs, outside people barely liked to stay even after.coming because they complained about detachment from society. The community was for large scale projects that employs plenty hands for such locality. The locality is key, this determines access to labour and access to you being able to bring external labour when community labour fails.

2. You have ideas and have heard farming is profitable but because of this bulky information, you do not have clear cut visions amd ideas on what to do.

First, define the vision, the vision is amplified in the location and in the project blueprint.

If you ask me, I'd say pay a consultant who would define a path for you, design pathways and help in creating the infrastructure to build the ideas into reality. Your lack of clear direction is too obvious. In agriculture, you do not need to be everywhere and in everything

3. Time Factor

If you still deal with 9-5 jobs it means you need to build this as a passive income earner for you. As a result, you need low attentiveness demanding projects. This means you can't do things like Tomatoes, Watermelon and your best bet is to almost go for zero or extremely little attention demanding crops if crop farming is your venture.

If you will be engaging in low attentiveness demanding farming, then you can do farming in the distant location in your write-up since you won't be visiting too often

If you ask me, I'd say find a consultant that will share vision concept with you. This way you avoid wastage of two years of misdirection and you are armed with 7 -10+ years professional experience of the one leading you !

4. Size matters

Better to have a ten plots of project that succeeds than fifty plots that starts and do not finish. You are right in starting small. Infact start very small if the risk of the venture is over 30%. I can't go into details explaining what I mean here, but when you start small and have mastered the production system, you can expand the concept simple. It obeys the engineering concepts that makes the same engine in a small generator works is the same that makes a big submarine works

5. You can't leave a farm without attention due to theft. These days farms have houses on them with vigilantes with guns on them. I have one of such with a motorcycle so there is round the clock surveillance. This and more are why I say speak with a consultant who will guide you to avoid pitfalls

1 Like

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by incogni2o: 8:09pm On May 19
ProjectsCityNG:

The distance is a major major. You need to declare more information about the location. I once secured a fifty acres somewhere but the village had too few people for labour jobs, outside people barely liked to stay even after.coming because they complained about detachment from society. The community was for large scale projects that employs plenty hands for such locality. The locality is key, this determines access to labour and access to you being able to bring external labour when community labour fails.

2. You have ideas and have heard farming is profitable but because of this bulky information, you do not have clear cut visions amd ideas on what to do.

First, define the vision, the vision is amplified in the location and in the project blueprint.

If you ask me, I'd say pay a consultant who would define a path for you, design pathways and help in creating the infrastructure to build the ideas into reality. Your lack of clear direction is too obvious. In agriculture, you do not need to be everywhere and in everything

3. Time Factor

If you still deal with 9-5 jobs it means you need to build this as a passive income earner for you. As a result, you need low attentiveness demanding projects. This means you can't do things like Tomatoes, Watermelon and your best bet is to almost go for zero or extremely little attention demanding crops if crop farming is your venture.

If you will be engaging in low attentiveness demanding farming, then you can do farming in the distant location in your write-up since you won't be visiting too often

If you ask me, I'd say find a consultant that will share vision concept with you. This way you avoid wastage of two years of misdirection and you are armed with 7 -10+ years professional experience of the one leading you !

4. Size matters

Better to have a ten plots of project that succeeds than fifty plots that starts and do not finish. You are right in starting small. Infact start very small if the risk of the venture is over 30%. I can't go into details explaining what I mean here, but when you start small and have mastered the production system, you can expand the concept simple. It obeys the engineering concepts that makes the same engine in a small generator works is the same that makes a big submarine works

5. You can't leave a farm without attention due to theft. These days farms have houses on them with vigilantes with guns on them. I have one of such with a motorcycle so there is round the clock surveillance. This and more are why I say speak with a consultant who will guide you to avoid pitfalls

Thanks so much for your response.
1. Distance.

I opted for a closer distance of 10KM at a significantly higher price than a farther one of 700K per acre of about 40KM.

2. Profitability

As I earlier said, I am not necessarily profit driven from the start. My Vision is just to be an employer of Labour with happy employees thereby helping the economy and also the sense of fulfillment that comes with it. I an not planning to leave my Job anytime soon till maybe I'm 40 in about 6 years time.

3. Time-Factor

Well, Ill like to ask, does having a good investment in.CCTV not solve that challenge?

4. Size

I currently Keep a micro Poultry and Catfish rearing at Home and understand the essense of starting small. I have understood about the importance of keeping a neat and well aerated and cool environment for Birds. Also well Oxygenated and clean water supply.

5. Security

Ill like to ask people who have invested in CCTV of its effectiveness in theft deterrence .

As per consultancy, I am somehow skeptical about Nigerian consultants cos they may just think you have a big money somewhere that you can be taking from Like water grin .

Do you think having a Mentor is better rather than consultancy ?

1 Like

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by ProjectsCityNG: 8:18pm On May 19
incogni2o:

1. Distance.

I opted for a closer distance of 10KM at a significantly higher price than a farther one of 700K per acre of about 40KM.

2. Profitability

As I earlier said, I am not necessarily profit driven from the start. My Vision is just to be an employer of Labour with happy employees thereby helping the economy and also the sense of fulfillment that comes with it. I an not planning to leave my Job anytime soon till maybe I'm 40 in about 6 years time.

3. Time-Factor

Well, Ill like to ask, does having a good investment in.CCTV not solve that challenge?

4. Size

I currently Keep a micro Poultry and CatfFish at Home and understand the essense of starting small. I have understood about the importance of keeping a neat and well aerated and cool environment for Birds. Also well Oxygenated and clean water supply.

5. Security

Ill like to ask people who have invested in CCTV of its effectiveness in theft deterrence .

As per consultancy, I am somehow skeptical about Nigerian consultants cos they may just think you have a big money somewhere that you can be taking from Like water grin .

Lolz. When I started out in business, I thought avoiding lawyers was cool. It took significant business losses to realize their importance.

Whether you call it a mentor or a consultant, you need professional guide to take you from the place of ideas to profit. If you were my brother I would say do not go forward until you speak with one. I keep getting the vibe of you wanting to experiment without a clear cut vision of what you intend to do

Your mentor should be able to provide :

1. What to do to make profit

2. The Schematics and working framework to push from start to market

If you try to avoid securing the services of one before you launch, my dear you will lose money, pls bookmark this thread. Your mentor helps you avoid mistakes that you would need 2-3+ years to see or to recover from
Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by Tochex101(m): 8:51pm On May 19
Interesting conversation.........more power to your elbows.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by epainos: 8:57pm On May 19
ProjectsCityNG:

3. Time Factor

4. Size matters

You really need to relax guy with your style... abeggie. Your experience is different from others. Guy....relax...na you dey land issue...dey wan arrange land for farmers .....na same you dey consultancy...relax guy. Let the guy breath.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by epainos: 9:03pm On May 19
incogni2o:
I am about to get some Acres of Land with a stream as the boundary about 10km from where Ilive but about 2km from the express road

Some of my Farming Ideas include.

Rice Farming
Cat Fish Farming
Vegetable Farming (Ewedu and Efo)
Maize Farming
Oil Palm Farming
YAM Farming
Also Poultry.

Focusing on just one may be boring to me.

I am a novice when it comes to Farming

I also know a lot of people have dived into Farming in Nigeria and have failed, including.my.Dad who left it due to thieves.

I still beleive that if everything is done right and challenges are properly planned for and handled , Farming is a profitable and fulfilling venture.

I am currently a full-time 9-5 and have about 3 days to work from Home.

I am planning to begin Farming even if its from a small scale.
I will like to be firstly focused on stability of Staff, infrastructure, Logistics and Human resources before thinking of profit. I'll also prefer investing in good infrastructure like surveillance and security at first , rather than profit and ill also prefer to start small.

I just need advice that can help me plan properly and execute the plans.

To established Farmers , what are some advices you'd give to someone like me.

Can anyone help with a Business Plan that has worked?

One of my Friends adviced the best is to invest in BOT companies that will establish the business for you(for instance oil palm) and transfer after about 3 years due to the risks of inexperience.

Location is SouthWest. There is a community close where on can get Labour.

Business Plan:
Relax. Let it slide for now. You will get one at the right time

BOT companies:
Lol. If you love your money, don't.

Again...Relax. Stay still for now. Do nothing. Just be still. So many fake consultants will come up soon. Just do nothing for now. Your thread has exposed you. This is not how to ask for help. Na scammers you dey attract. Do nothing for now.

2 Likes

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by epainos: 9:11pm On May 19
incogni2o:

1. Distance.

2. Profitability

3. Time-Factor

4. Size

I currently Keep a micro Poultry and Catfish rearing at Home and understand the essense of starting small. I have understood about the importance of keeping a neat and well aerated and cool environment for Birds. Also well Oxygenated and clean water supply.

5. Security

The only point I am interested in your post is the highlighted part. Guy! This is what you will use to plan your business. This is what you will use to do your business plan. You have started well. Forget the so-called lawyer bull crap. At the right time, you will get one if you need it. And just let go of the idea of using consultants. Forget it mehn.

Drop the details of your small poultry and catfish here... and ask for help. People will help you. Focus on these. Add vegetables to it if you can. What you are doing is called a pilot program, and it is a training ground for you. Keep your records very well...and that will help you with your business plan.

Don't underestimate what you are doing at home now. Let that land be there for now. Do nothing there. Just go secure it so intruders don't claim it. Don't rush. If it will take you 1 more year before you are fully ready, so be it. But just don't consult anyone for now. Now is the time to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by ProjectsCityNG: 9:31pm On May 19
epainos:

You really need to relax guy with your style... abeggie. Your experience is different from others. Guy....relax...na you dey land issue...dey wan arrange land for farmers .....na same you dey consultancy...relax guy. Let the guy breath.

You are excused. You sound too bitter and petty for a man. I hope you observed I avoided your vibes when you were giving the same vibe on your thread.

How you simpletons assume everyone is needy and a scammer without engagement is simply out of this world.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid me.

NB : I am not a multi millionaire but I have six acres farm heading towards harvest as of this moment and I shared from my eight years of experience with the Op. If you're moody, get a sanitary pad for your menses but get out of my mentions, kid
Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by epainos: 2:05am On May 20
ProjectsCityNG:

You are excused. You sound too bitter and petty for a man. I hope you observed I avoided your vibes when you were giving the same vibe on your thread.

How you simpletons assume everyone is needy and a scammer without engagement is simply out of this world.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid me.

NB : I am not a multi millionaire but I have six acres farm heading towards harvest as of this moment and I shared from my eight years of experience with the Op. If you're moody, get a sanitary pad for your menses but get out of my mentions, kid
Focus on your six acres, bro. And stop pushing people to do Agric by force. I am happy you avoided my thread because you are too forward. Dem talk land issue...na you get hommies to take care of the situation....na you know the best location for everyone here... grin... Just relax. If truly your six acres is worth something tangible, then you have no wahala.

Insult me all you like.. but just relax. Stop telling people trying to break into agric to get consultants. Na you go be the consultant na. We know how e dey go. I am not against your consultancy service, but just relax. First post...na consultancy you advice am....the man was negative about it, and you moved to getting a lawyer. For what exactly? Has he not got his land? Oga....go relax and stop pushing people. Let the man breathe. I am happy you know when to stop on my thread cos I will dash you what you deserve. Just relax.

You didn't see where he wrote he is doing poultry and fish at home... Does that not signify he is trying to learn? Nope...na consultant and lawyer you push am to straight up. Lol. You better relax.

I don't have your time. And I don't have the energy to argue with anyone. Just relax ....face your 6 acres and pray you make it there...all these...a go buy you land...my hommies are there.....oga relax. If you can not mention the documents, buyers will get freely here...go relax bro. You want to sell land but you don't want to be plain here. Only stupid people will fall for such.

Did I call you a scammer? Even now...did I still call you one? Perhaps you are, and this is the reason you are trying to defend yourself. Lol. Relax. Again, I am going to tell you. Relax. I am not the first person to tell you this...on that land issue...post pictures of your whatever....you no gree...dey vibrate up and down .....OK. Open your thread and put evidence of genuine land that you promised to open...you don do am? Relax. Again...relax.

Be contented with your six plots if you truly have such.

Allow new farmers to breathe.
Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by soccerlite: 9:20am On May 22
incogni2o:

1. Distance.

2. Profitability

3. Time-Factor

4. Size

5. Security

From this your write up, you are good to go

You aren't desperate about instant profit

You understand the logic behind starting medium and expanding

You have hands on experience in fish and poultry

So

You don't need any proposal again

Make your choice of crop you want

Presently farming seems good

1 Like

Re: Need Advice About Going Into Farming by incogni2o: 11:32pm On May 22
Thanks again Everyone for the great contributions.

(1) (Reply)

Fingerlings For Sell / For Your Consultancy Services On A Farm Project / Let Me Help You Advertise Your Agro Products for Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.