Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,325 members, 7,860,784 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:19 PM

Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK (27957 Views)

Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died / Say No To That Blood Transfusion!!! I Know Something That Can Help You. DM Now. / Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by gtassure: 2:13am On May 21
drsibz66:
Yes the Government, NHS and doctors erred and let their citizens down. And even at that you still can't compare it to my dear country or Africa.

For this scandal... I can comfortably tell you that

1, The whole scandal will be investigated. The whole truth or close to whole will be published for every one to see.

2, Those guilty will be identified, published and will receive punishment appropriate to their degree of involvement.

3. Compensation has already been given , and will continue to be given out to those affected and for those that have DIED their children pr family will receive compensation.

But unlike Nigeria this will never happen. Inshot you might not even hear it.
You people sha like to pull your country down! If you have a urge to write and itemised lengthy points, do it without casting aspersions to your country! Stop this di*k comparison!
And by the way, Nigerians have carried out many successful investigations that have been beneficial to many people in different sectors!
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by CrossRhodes: 2:13am On May 21
Jman06:
For allowing the influx of Nigerian doctors and nurses into the UK, the country is bound to start witnessing all manner of quack practices in her healthcare system.

The next thing I fear that may start happening there is drug misuse, especially antibiotics misuse which has become the other of the day in Nigeria thereby creating a burden of antibiotics resistance!

The average Nigerian doctor, with their poor training on drugs, believes in indiscriminate use of drugs. They don't believe in rational use of drugs and this has contributed significantly in the poor life expectancy the country is faced with.

So, any country that allows Nigeria doctors to practice in their country must be wary of them and set up special monitoring mechanism to ensure that they shed off all their Nigerian mentality of 'anything goes'.
If you read the article and drew this conclusion then it's a pity you lack comprehension.
Go back to primary six

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Oghene86: 6:22am On May 21
emkz:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-69037200.amp

They had same issues in the US and Canada
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Flamemignon1(m): 6:54am On May 21
immortalcrown:
They are preoccupied with LGBTQ and animal rights.

Africa, forgive me for thinking you are the only continent that has countries with misplaced priorities.
Everything, even something that doesn't concern us, you look for ways to put in on our head but a bigot will always be a bigot
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by immortalcrown(m): 7:28am On May 21
Flamemignon1:
Everything, even something that doesn't concern us, you look for ways to put in on our head but a bigot will always be a bigot
Self description.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Anashe: 7:47am On May 21
Clearly, the majority reacting to this failed to read the first line. It is a just concluded 5-year inquiry into 30,000 people contracting HIV and Hepatitis from 1970 to 1991 through blood transfusions.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Anashe: 7:55am On May 21
Jman06:
For allowing the influx of Nigerian doctors and nurses into the UK, the country is bound to start witnessing all manner of quack practices in her healthcare system.

The next thing I fear that may start happening there is drug misuse, especially antibiotics misuse which has become the other of the day in Nigeria thereby creating a burden of antibiotics resistance!

The average Nigerian doctor, with their poor training on drugs, believes in indiscriminate use of drugs. They don't believe in rational use of drugs and this has contributed significantly in the poor life expectancy the country is faced with.

So, any country that allows Nigeria doctors to practice in their country must be wary of them and set up special monitoring mechanism to ensure that they shed off all their Nigerian mentality of 'anything goes'.

How hard is it to read? What have you contributed to your family, let alone a life? Doctors and nurses trained in Nigeria are some of the best in the world today. But you blame a scandal from 1970 to 1991 on the influx of medical personnel from Nigeria? You have no shame and you're a disgrace.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 9:03am On May 21
gtassure:

You people sha like to pull your country down! If you have a urge to write and itemised lengthy points, do it without casting aspersions to your country! Stop this di*k comparison!
And by the way, Nigerians have carried out many successful investigations that have been beneficial to many people in different sectors!

The truth is bitter bro. We rise by learning what is right. If you want to progress look unto those ahead of you. Also it's not us saying the truth that is pulling the country . Its you and the thieves in govt that either see what us wrong and refuse to criticise it or the people you don't want people saying the truth to call out. You know them... govt
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 9:13am On May 21
Jman06:

Oga you didn't even read the post , you just jump into conclusions like a foolish woman. You deviated from the topic , created your own topic and started commenting. Do you know how the NHS or uk health system functions? You think doctor's just graduate from Nigeria and just go there and start working without exams and trainings?
Do you know there are reasons why antibiotics are prescribed more in the developing countries who's has an high rate of infectious disease compared to developed countries.
Do you know that the antibiotics abuse in Nigeria is majorly due to self medication, incomplete treatment and poor data keeping.
Anyway your post always shows your level of illiteracy and IQ.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Jman06(m): 9:33am On May 21
drsibz66:

Oga you didn't even read the post , you just jump into conclusions like a foolish woman. You deviated from the topic , created your own topic and started commenting. Do you know how the NHS or uk health system functions? You think doctor's just graduate from Nigeria and just go there and start working without exams and trainings?
Do you know there are reasons why antibiotics are prescribed more in the developing countries who's has an high rate of infectious disease compared to developed countries.
Do you know that the antibiotics abuse in Nigeria is majorly due to self medication, incomplete treatment and poor data keeping.
Anyway your post always shows your level of illiteracy and IQ.
Well, I think I should write a separate thread to fully highlight the points I was alluding to in that post you quoted.

Nothing justifies prescribing 3 to 4 classes of antibiotics without a sensitivity test, without even any laboratory tests at all.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 10:23am On May 21
Jman06:
Well, I think I should write a separate thread to fully highlight the points I was alluding to in that post you quoted.

Nothing justifies prescribing 3 to 4 classes of antibiotics without a sensitivity test, without even any laboratory tests at all.

When you decide to visit a nurse , patent medicine or a quack doctor for treatment that's what you get. I'm my more than 10yrs of medical practice I have never seen a licenced medical doctor prescribe 4 antibiotics at once. 3 maybe for general coverage in cases where you have to wait to sensitivity test.
Moreover you can't use a single case or 2 to generalise all Nigeria doctors. Nigeria has some of the best doctors home and abroad take it or leave it.
Lastly I can confidently tell you that antibiotics abuse is majorly caused by self medication, incomplete treatment or dosage or poor data saving system in Nigeria. Your claim of Doctors being responsible for antibiotics abuse is based on delusion and assumptions. And your projections of Nigeria doctor's been responsible for antibiotics abuse in the future in uk is baseless. The systems are designed differently. 1,You can't buy antibiotics over the counter in uk.
2, Prescriptions are vetted by licensed pharmacist at the pharmacy before dispensing.
3. There is good data collection system in place. Meaning if you have had an antibiotics or current on one it will be documented in you electronic patient records so the issue of giving you another one will always be based on clinical judgement.

In conclusion , things don't work the way you have assumed in your head. And try to always comment on what you have good knowledge on.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Meteng: 10:54am On May 21
A whole UK
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by nenergy(m): 11:35am On May 21
Jehovah's witnesses are right on this one.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by wonyi: 11:58am On May 21
emkz:
Was it not this same UK some ignorant journalists were talking about female genital mutilation, child bride, endemic poverty and outrightly comparing Nigerian human rights records to Nazi Germany all because Nigeria welcomed Harry and Meghan?

I can forgive them for making mistakes, but concealing mistakes that led to and will lead to the death of infected patients is the new low of hegemonic British evil.

Dear Nairalanders, this is the United Kingdom of Atrocities. They are not better than us.

They stole our resources to build their kingdom. They raided the palace of the Oba of Benin, they enable corrupt Nigerian politicians, and they try to denigrate Nigeria. They have added killing their own citizens to their litany of atrocities.

Well said. I can't agree less
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Jman06(m): 12:00pm On May 21
drsibz66:

When you decide to visit a nurse , patent medicine or a quack doctor for treatment that's what you get. I'm my more than 10yrs of medical practice I have never seen a licenced medical doctor prescribe 4 antibiotics at once. 3 maybe for general coverage in cases where you have to wait to sensitivity test.
Moreover you can't use a single case or 2 to generalise all Nigeria doctors. Nigeria has some of the best doctors home and abroad take it or leave it.
Lastly I can confidently tell you that antibiotics abuse is majorly caused by self medication, incomplete treatment or dosage or poor data saving system in Nigeria. Your claim of Doctors being responsible for antibiotics abuse is based on delusion and assumptions. And your projections of Nigeria doctor's been responsible for antibiotics abuse in the future in uk is baseless. The systems are designed differently. 1,You can't buy antibiotics over the counter in uk.
2, Prescriptions are vetted by licensed pharmacist at the pharmacy before dispensing.
3. There is good data collection system in place. Meaning if you have had an antibiotics or current on one it will be documented in you electronic patient records so the issue of giving you another one will always be based on clinical judgement.

In conclusion , things don't work the way you have assumed in your head. And try to always comment on what you have good knowledge on.
Maybe I should start uploading prescriptions of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor colleagues in a so called "teaching hospital". Maybe then you'll realize you're not the only one with knowledge of the poor system created by your doctor colleagues in Nigeria. Talking about "general coverage", of what exactly Without ascertaining the particular microorganism through a culture and sensitivity test Where else is that practice done?

Before you claim that Nigerian doctors are the best, why is our healthcare system in a mess The truth is that we have so many mediocre doctors practicing rubbish in the country and sending Nigerians to their early graves! Everybody is always quick to blame government for the failure of our healthcare system but the truth is that no amount of funds sunk into the system by government will change things if the practitioners don't change their corrupt ways.
The undoing of most of you Nigerian doctors is that you're always quick to claim monopoly of knowledge, even when your lack of knowledge or shear attempt to cover up quack practices by your colleagues is glaring.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Arielle: 12:24pm On May 21
drsibz66:
Yes the Government, NHS and doctors erred and let their citizens down. And even at that you still can't compare it to my dear country or Africa.

For this scandal... I can comfortably tell you that

1, The whole scandal will be investigated. The whole truth or close to whole will be published for every one to see.

2, Those guilty will be identified, published and will receive punishment appropriate to their degree of involvement.

3. Compensation has already been given , and will continue to be given out to those affected and for those that have DIED their children pr family will receive compensation.

But unlike Nigeria this will never happen. Inshot you might not even hear it.
Please be quiet! If this had happened in Nigeria, CNN, BCC and all the media of the world would have been agog with the news of the 'corrupt and incompetent' Nigerians. Why are you here on a Nigerian site showing your arse? These hypocritical charlatans have caused the deaths of thousands of their people and have been at it for decades. So you think they grew a concience overnight and decided to confess to the world?! They got caught and could not wiggle their way out this time. Let us see the heads that will roll from a heartless scandal that has been aided, abetted and covered up by successive governments for decades. That should be interesting considering that recently, they've changed prime ministers as often as Mama Emeka changes her pant everyday. Look for another country to belong to since it irks you so much to be a Nigerian, as you needlessly compare any unforgiveable atrocity with our short comings.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 3:53pm On May 21
Jman06:
Maybe I should start uploading prescriptions of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor colleagues in a so called "teaching hospital". Maybe then you'll realize you're not the only one with knowledge of the poor system created by your doctor colleagues in Nigeria. Talking about "general coverage", of what exactly Without ascertaining the particular microorganism through a culture and sensitivity test Where else is that practice done?

Before you claim that Nigerian doctors are the best, why is our healthcare system in a mess The truth is that we have so many mediocre doctors practicing rubbish in the country and sending Nigerians to their early graves! Everybody is always quick to blame government for the failure of our healthcare system but the truth is that no amount of funds sunk into the system by government will change things if the practitioners don't change their corrupt ways.
The undoing of most of you Nigerian doctors is that you're always quick to claim monopoly of knowledge, even when your lack of knowledge or shear attempt to cover up quack practices by your colleagues is glaring.

Pls post thr prescription and cover the sensitive details like names. Let's see weather you even know what and what Constitutes antibiotics. Seems you are the one mistaking some other group of medications as antibiotics.

Secondly .. I can now actually confirm your IQ and knowledge level. You seem to be a surface thinker. Let me explain to you . If the so called foreign doctors come to Nigeria, over time they too will become complacent and lazy because the system is different. First there are no laws in Nigeria, the judiciary doesn't work. Its the laws that regulate and define the society. That is why when our doctors go abroad they can't misbehave cos the system doesn't tolerate it. There is general systemic failure in Nigeria that is why there is no law and order. That is why people behave the way they do here. So the problem is never the people but the system. And the system is a function of the law and government.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Jman06(m): 4:17pm On May 21
drsibz66:

Pls post thr prescription and cover the sensitive details like names. Let's see weather you even know what and what Constitutes antibiotics. Seems you are the one mistaking some other group of medications as antibiotics.

Secondly .. I can now actually confirm your IQ and knowledge level. You seem to be a surface thinker. Let me explain to you . If the so called foreign doctors come to Nigeria, over time they too will become complacent and lazy because the system is different. First there are no laws in Nigeria, the judiciary doesn't work. Its the laws that regulate and define the society. That is why when our doctors go abroad they can't misbehave cos the system doesn't tolerate it. There is general systemic failure in Nigeria that is why there is no law and order. That is why people behave the way they do here. So the problem is never the people but the system. And the system is a function of the law and government.
Lolzzzz

For the records, I know drugs far more than you or any other doctor would. Nothing justifies prescribing broad spectrum antibiotics of different classes without a culture and sensitivity test! That is what doctors do in the developed world to contain the ever growing cases of microbial resistance to antibiotics! There shouldn't be blind prescriptions of antibiotics like is done in Nigeria. Nothing justifies prescribing a 3rd generation cephalosporin like cefpodoxime, a macrolide antibiotics like azithromycin, an aminoglycoside like gentamicin at the same time without running any culture and sensitivity test to ascertain the presence or otherwise of microorganisms.
I have seen them prescribe two macrolide antibiotics to a patient at the same time!

The other day, a patient was rushed in with severe pains, without running any tests the doctors placed him on ceftriaxone injection only to stop the ceftriaxone Midway when the patient was not getting any better, prompting them to start suspecting a case of malignant growth. Tell me, should ceftriaxone be the first line drug in such an emergency case when no lab investigation has been carried out??
That is how our Nigerian doctors help to fuel antibiotics resistance!

You may know all these but your problem is that you're trying to cover up for mediocre doctors many of whom we have in Nigeria! Why do you Nigerian doctors have a penchant for covering up for your mediocre colleagues Do you know the damages that attitude of yours is causing our healthcare system

I agree with you that the Nigerian system is messed up at every sector but those of us who received tertiary education up to the level of becoming professionals in healthcare and other fields should try to do the right thing always. That should be the difference between us and those who are not as educated.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 7:06pm On May 21
Jman06:
Lolzzzz

For the records, I know drugs far more than you or any other doctor would. Nothing justifies prescribing broad spectrum antibiotics of different classes without a culture and sensitivity test! That is what doctors do in the developed world to contain the ever growing cases of microbial resistance to antibiotics! There shouldn't be blind prescriptions of antibiotics like is done in Nigeria. Nothing justifies prescribing a 3rd generation cephalosporin like cefpodoxime, a macrolide antibiotics like azithromycin, an aminoglycoside like gentamicin at the same time without running any culture and sensitivity test to ascertain the presence or otherwise of microorganisms.
I have seen them prescribe two macrolide antibiotics to a patient at the same time!

The other day, a patient was rushed in with severe pains, without running any tests the doctors placed him on ceftriaxone injection only to stop the ceftriaxone Midway when the patient was not getting any better, prompting them to start suspecting a case of malignant growth. Tell me, should ceftriaxone be the first line drug in such an emergency case when no lab investigation has been carried out??
That is how our Nigerian doctors help to fuel antibiotics resistance!

You may know all these but your problem is that you're trying to cover up for mediocre doctors many of whom we have in Nigeria! Why do you Nigerian doctors have a penchant for covering up for your mediocre colleagues Do you know the damages that attitude of yours is causing our healthcare system

I agree with you that the Nigerian system is messed up at every sector but those of us who received tertiary education up to the level of becoming professionals in healthcare and other fields should try to do the right thing always. That should be the difference between us and those who are not as educated.

Honestly you not a doctor. Practice differs according to patient , race, environment, resources available and experience.

First and foremost, sensitivity test takes days to come out. So as a doctor , with your medical knowledge starring at an infective case ie. Sepsis .. so you will wait for 3 days for your sensitivity results to come out before you commence antibiotics? NO bro you will only succeed in killing the patient. The teach every where In the world is that you prescribe antibiotics, and in such scenarios like sepsis you MUST prescribe antibiotics iv to cover every possible suspected organism .. that's why sometimes you might prescribe up to 3 antibiotics with different MOA and sensitivity.

2, you will agree with me that not all hospitals have the equipments to even do sensitivity test. Go to the govt hospitals in rural areas that's the state. So in those areas you will have to rely on your clinical judgement to save your patient.

Bro , medical practice isn't just pharmacy. OK. Doctors anywhere in the world aren't trained to rely on sensitivity or any test but embrace it as an aid to fine clinical practice. A doctor is trained to have sound clinical knowledge to make a diagnosis, or differential diagnosis, institute treatment using his history taking and clinical examination skills. And I will continue to reiterate that Nigeria has some of the best doctors home and abroad.

1 Like

Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Jman06(m): 8:02pm On May 21
drsibz66:

Honestly you not a doctor. Practice differs according to patient , race, environment, resources available and experience.

First and foremost, sensitivity test takes days to come out. So as a doctor , with your medical knowledge starring at an infective case ie. Sepsis .. so you will wait for 3 days for your sensitivity results to come out before you commence antibiotics? NO bro you will only succeed in killing the patient. The teach every where In the world is that you prescribe antibiotics, and in such scenarios like sepsis you MUST prescribe antibiotics iv to cover every possible suspected organism .. that's why sometimes you might prescribe up to 3 antibiotics with different MOA and sensitivity.

2, you will agree with me that not all hospitals have the equipments to even do sensitivity test. Go to the govt hospitals in rural areas that's the state. So in those areas you will have to rely on your clinical judgement to save your patient.

Bro , medical practice isn't just pharmacy. OK. Doctors anywhere in the world aren't trained to rely on sensitivity or any test but embrace it as an aid to fine clinical practice. A doctor is trained to have sound clinical knowledge to make a diagnosis, or differential diagnosis, institute treatment using his history taking and clinical examination skills. And I will continue to reiterate that Nigeria has some of the best doctors home and abroad.
That is wrong practice by Nigerian doctors! The rule on antibiotics stewardship says that if you must commence antibiotics treatment without conducting culture and sensitivity testing, then you start with narrow spectrum antibiotics to minimize the chances of resistance. The common microorganisms responsible for bacteria sepsis are known to respond to some narrow spectrum antibiotics, hence you're to go on those narrow spectrum antibiotics with other supportive therapies if you must prescribe antibiotics blindly, until results of your culture and sensitivity test is out. But some doctors just prescribe antibiotics indiscriminately thereby contributing to the burden of antibiotics resistance.

The problem of antibiotics resistance is a very dire one, especially in environment like ours where we care less about investing in research. So we wait for the west and China to research and sell us these antibiotics while we misuse them! If any country is to control antibiotics use and ensure very strict adherence to culture and sensitivity testing before use, that country should be Nigeria because we don't research nor produce them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Konquest: 8:04pm On May 21
emkz:

Authorities covered up the infected blood scandal after knowingly exposing victims to unacceptable risks, a long-awaited report says.

The five-year investigation accused doctors, government and the NHS of letting patients catch HIV and hepatitis.

More than 30,000 people were infected from 1970 to 1991 by contaminated blood products and transfusions.

About 3,000 have since died and more deaths will follow.

The Infected Blood Inquiry said victims had been failed "not once but repeatedly" by doctors, the NHS, government and others responsible for their safety.

Patient safety was not paramount in decision-making, it said, pointing out the risk of viral infections being transmitted in blood and blood products had been known about since the start of the NHS in 1948.

Despite this, people were exposed to "unacceptable risks", including:

● the continued importation of blood products from abroad - which included blood from high-risk donors in the US where prisoners and drug addicts were paid to give blood - despite a pledge to become self-sufficient

● the failure of the licensing regime to recognise such products were unsafe and should not have been licensed for use

● the continued sourcing of blood donations from high-risk populations in the UK too, such as prisoners, until 1986

taking until the end of 1985 to heat-treat blood products to eliminate HIV, despite the risks being known since 1982

● the government ignoring warnings in 1983 from one of the UK's top infectious disease experts, Dr Spence Galbraith, that all imported US blood products should be withdrawn from NHS use until the HIV risk was "clarified"

● a lack of testing from the 1970s onwards to reduce the risk of hepatitis, including being one of the last developed nations to start screening for hepatitis C when an accurate test was eventually found

● a four-year delay following the introduction of the hepatitis C screening before attempts were made to trace those who had been infected previously. It is estimated hundreds of people still have not been diagnosed - the disease can remain dormant for decades.

Destroying of documents

Inquiry chairman Sir Brian Langstaff described the scale of what happened as "horrifying" and said the authorities had been too slow to respond to the risks.

Addressing the issue of a cover-up, he said that better wording to describe it was "hiding the truth".

He said there has been a lack of openness, inquiry, accountability and elements of "downright deception", including destroying documents.

But he said hiding the truth included not only deliberate concealment, but telling half-truths or not telling people what they had a right to know - including the risks of treatment they received, what alternatives were available and, at times, even the fact that they were infected.

Sir Brian said the scandal had destroyed "lives, dreams, friendships, families and finances", adding that the numbers dying were still climbing week by week.

"This disaster was not an accident. The infections happened because those in authority - doctors, the blood services and successive governments - did not put patient safety first," he said.

Among those infected were around 380 children with bleeding disorders who got HIV after being given blood products for their condition, the report said.

Many of those died in childhood or young adulthood, having endured a level of pain and fear that no child or young person should ever have to face.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-69037200.amp
That's highly contagious, tbh.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 8:16pm On May 21
Jman06:
That is wrong practice by Nigerian doctors! The rule on antibiotics stewardship says that if you must commence antibiotics treatment without conducting culture and sensitivity testing, then you start with narrow spectrum antibiotics to minimize the chances of resistance. The common microorganisms responsible for bacteria sepsis are known to respond to some narrow spectrum antibiotics, hence you're to go on those narrow spectrum antibiotics with other supportive therapies if you must prescribe antibiotics blindly, until results of your culture and sensitivity test is out. But some doctors just prescribe antibiotics indiscriminately thereby contributing to the burden of antibiotics resistance.

The problem of antibiotics resistance is a very dire one, especially in environment like ours where we care less about investing in research. So we wait for the west and China to research and sell us these antibiotics while we misuse them! If any country is to control antibiotics use and ensure very strict adherence to culture and sensitivity testing before use, that country should be Nigeria because we don't research nor produce them.

Well you have to check you updates bro.. you don't prescribe narrow spectrum antibiotics for a case of sepsis or for any case when you not even sure of the bacteria causing the infection. You think about your self. What is the essence of prescribing a narrow spectrum antibiotics when you aim at the time is to try and attack any kind of bacteria that might be responsible for the infection because as at this time the sensitivity result will not be out and you want to at least stop the bacteria or slow it down bearing in mind you don't know the bacteria actually involved.
Bro I can't be arguing constants, facts and international approved protocol with you. You still just assuming or refusing to learn.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Jman06(m): 8:23pm On May 21
drsibz66:

Well you have to check you updates bro.. you don't prescribe narrow spectrum antibiotics for a case of sepsis or for any case when you not even sure of the bacteria causing the infection. You think about your self. What is the essence of prescribing a narrow spectrum antibiotics when you aim at the time is to try and attack any kind of bacteria that might be responsible for the infection because as at this time the sensitivity result will not be out and you want to at least stop the bacteria or slow it down bearing in mind you don't know the bacteria actually involved.
Bro I can't be arguing constants, facts and international approved protocol with you. You still just assuming or refusing to learn.
International approved protocol is not to do trial and error with antibiotics, doc. Check your source again for updates. I have recently attended seminars on antimicrobial stewardship.
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by drsibz66(m): 8:58pm On May 21
Jman06:
International approved protocol is not to do trial and error with antibiotics, doc. Check your source again for updates. I have recently attended seminars on antimicrobial stewardship.

International approved protocol is broad spectrum antibiotics for cases of suspected or confirmed sepsis. That's the standard you don't use narrow spectrum antibiotics . You aim is to contain as many species of bacteria that might cause it hence the wide spectrum . It's not trial and error. USE WIDE BROAD SPECTRUM ANTIBIOTICS UNTIL UR MSC RESULTS TELLS YOU WHICH ANTIBIOTICS TO USE. . GO AND READ YOUR MEDSCAPE, NICE GUILDLINES OR BNF.

GOOD NIGHT
Re: Blood Transfusion Scandal In The UK by Anonimoux: 9:17pm On Jun 12
British and nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coronavirus: NAFDAC Orders Chloroquine Manufacture For Possible Clinical Trials / COVID-19 Cure: Ooni’s Delegates Meet Ehanire, Health Minister / Woman Collapses, Dies In Mile 2, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.