Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,262 members, 7,864,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:02 PM

What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka (25283 Views)

Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by gtown: 3:33pm On May 21
BossGerald:

Nigerians were living in harmony until tinubu/buhari/Apc happened at the national politics.
n
Really?
You must be one those indomie generation littering on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by WizardOfNG: 3:35pm On May 21
gidgiddy:

Igbos and Yorubas should never have been in the same country together, it was a disastrous mistake by the British. It had created a situation where both tribes will be politically fighting each forever

But God will be merciful one day and divide both tribes into different countries of their own, there will be nothing to fight about any more, and everyone can finally rest from this disastrous British colonial contraption called Nigeria

Yes. Pragmatically intelligent Yorubas look forward to that day more than you can imagine.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Raf4: 3:37pm On May 21
LexngtonSteele:

6 weeks is good. My own na 6 months to 9.

And yes their Mods leave their offensive posts.often on the FP

I thought I was the only one being dealt with like that. Someone would type something terrible here and nothing would be done against him/her, but you that just responded with nothing so serious would be banned.
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by gtown: 3:40pm On May 21
EmiloCorn:

Ohhh, you mean the TIE & THROWAY inside GARRI BAG type of burial? shocked
That is why we don't go to Malaysia, India, Italy, Indonesia etc to do drug trafficking, yahoo yahoo, prostitution, armed robbery etc to earn money we will use to bury our death.
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by WizardOfNG: 3:41pm On May 21
Antivirus92:
rubbish, Azuka can choose to copy or behave anyhow he likes but should leave igbo out of his madness.

Culture varies, orientation varies. What works for Yorubas may not work for the igbos and vice versa. Trying to promote one above the other is rubbish. Many Igbo business men will spit on you if u tell them to come and sit down idly drinking beers and gossiping. It's not in their nature and it's working for them. Azuka should shove his ideas down his as.s

Another load of hogwash driven by the automatic need to defend a backward culture one was born into as Igbos always feel compelled to do.

What, for example, "works" about Osu Caste system? Try and spin your answer to legitimise appalling discrimination. Go ahead.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by jmoore(m): 3:53pm On May 21
WizardOfNG:
[s]

Not true. You are just saying this to be politically correct or to fraudulently exalt the culture of your ethnic group when it is undeserving compared to others.

Yoruba culture is far superior and more sophisticated in comparison to Igbo culture.

Look no further than the one example of how there is no culture of discrimination against the female child in a Yoruba community or household.

Compare to Igbo culture where, till today, a female eldest child, ostensibly because she is inferior to male siblings younger than her, cannot inherit the estate of her father.

Intelligent men dont talk for the sake of it. They try to ensure what they say make sense and/or can stand the test of factual and intellectual scrutiny.

This is one example alone I give yet many more exist, such as the Yorubas universally acclaimed respect for elders, to show Yoruba culture is vastly superior to that of Igbos even if you wish to delude yourself it is otherwise.

I dont expect different from you though because it is not in the nature of Igbos to give credit where due to then learn from others to become better.

Instead Igbos are automatically envious of and threathened by those they percieve as better to then be obsessed with badmouthing and running them down or comparing d1cks wtih them constantly. [/s]

I don't do tribal fights here. Therefore learn to use common sense before quoting me..

This picture makes you superior, abi?

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by WizardOfNG: 4:00pm On May 21
jmoore:

I don't do tribal fights here. Therefore learn to use common sense before quoting me..

This picture makes you superior, abi?

Unintelligent Igbos and predictable whataboutism. Tribal marks were a way of identifying children to even their communal home in the past.

How can that, by any sensible person, be compared to societal enslavement of Osus and shameless discrimination against your own people and women also?

Is all these remnants of your backward and shamelessly discriminatory culture not even still visible today whereby Bianca Ojukwu is barred from contesting a political role in Anambra yet all Igbos want to be political leaders in the land of others?

Just accept others are superior and learn from them. There is no basis for comparing Yoruba and Igbo culture same as only a lunatic can claim light and darkness are similar.

8 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by jmoore(m): 4:11pm On May 21
WizardOfNG:

Unintelligent Igbos and predictable whataboutism. Tribal marks were a way of identifying children to even their communal home in the past.

How can that, by any sensible person, be compared to societal enslavement of Osus and shameless discrimination against your own people and women also?

Is all these remnants of your backward culture not even still visible today whereby Bianca Ojukwu is barred from contesting a political role in Anambra yet all Igbos want to be political leaders in the land of others?

Just accept others are superior and learn from them. There is no basis for comparing Yoruba and Igbo culture same as only a lunatic can claim light and darkness are similar.
Nigeria as a whole is an underdeveloped country. No state can boast of 24 hours of stable power supply.
Indian is launching rockets to the moon while mentally deranged creatures with low IQ are bragging who is superior in a shithole. country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Antivirus92(m): 4:34pm On May 21
WizardOfNG:

Another load of hogwash driven by the automatic need to defend a backward culture one was born into as Igbos always feel compelled to do.

What, for example, "works" about Osu Caste system? Try and spin your answer to legitimise appalling discrimination. Go ahead.
Osu caste system was practiced in the olden days and when the modern era came, we took no permission from anyone to abolish it. Our spirit of hustling cannot be traded for anything. What others are trying to copy from us is what we foolishly want to throw away. Many Igbo men cannot sit in a place drinking beer and gossiping like the Yorubas because we want to enjoy life, hell no!
We cannot forget our towns meeting in the cities because we want to rest. It's not done. To us, many of these things have no substitute. Yorubas cannot behave like us, we cannot also behave like them. Our cultures and orientations are wide apart.

4 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by omoredia: 4:53pm On May 21
E be like sey u think sey old age na achievement. Age and achievement are two different things
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Konquest: 4:54pm On May 21

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by lavylilly: 4:56pm On May 21
https://whatsapp(.)com/channel/0029VaH6zEJFHWpuQ1zwxt1Q
We are a team of formidable problem solvers posting jobs.

The aim of the group is to help you solve your interview problems and unemployment worries.

Kindly feel at home. We have got you covered.
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by johndho(m): 4:56pm On May 21
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by ukaface(f): 4:57pm On May 21
Because I’m upset at the moment imma speak upset

wtf is Yoruba burial and Igbo burial comparison
Person wey don die don die, if you like do ceremony if you like no do, will the dead thank you for that

Dey here Dey yarn opkata with tribe differences.
wtf!

If I can talk to this writer I will tell him, common uche e no get

Creating points to promote tribalism

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Peppysco: 4:58pm On May 21
FreeStuffsNG:
Even though I had spent two years in Ondo State as a child, it was when I arrived in Lagos during my post-university National Youth Service Corps scheme that I was mature enough to study the way of life of the Yoruba people.

When I get into a new environment, I study the way of life of the residents, in order to understand how and why they do things. Whatever I consider admirable, I copy it. Whatever I don’t consider special, I don’t copy.

This is the responsibility of everyone and it is taught from the home and beaten into your ears in most Yoruba families. If you're outside Yorubaland, the counsel of your parents and family will be ringing like a bell in your ears so you constantly remember that they are waiting for you at home.

You just want to mind your business and appreciate your host. We are very very careful not to get involved in the local politics of our hosts outside our region in the country. There's a reason why. Our progressive approach to politics and governance is completely different so there's no point getting involved in the politics of your host who are not familiar with your kind of progressive politics. If you want to do politics, come back home to your Yorubaland and do your politics.

This is a brilliant write up by Azuka. I have always loved his column. I remember his column protesting how people write their home address by inserting comma after the number in a wrong way. Thank you Azuka.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

You didn't have to politicize this inspiring write up. There's more to life outside of politics and the earlier we understand this, the better for us all.
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Rahmon0907: 4:58pm On May 21
Ok through analysis though, it seems you guys are too serious here, how about you watch something entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xst4cj-c-fk
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by porthouse7(f): 4:59pm On May 21
Armaggedon:
They take life easy by using their people's body parts for ritual but when an Igbo man prospers more than them they begin to envy him.

They show off the most by doing owambe at any slightest meeting but when an Igbo sprays money, they are thrown into a mass hysteria of envy, question his wealth and tagging EFCC again him.

The most ethnic minded people I've come across, yet they do not love one another. The fiercest celebrity rivalry and spat usually happen amongst them.

The biggest farmers of hate and injustice. Whoever is unpopular among his people becomes their biggest ally and whoever is born among them learns to hate his people until he grows up to meet his people and learns the truth.
igbobman wey dey use em parents do ritual

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Idun2024(f): 5:00pm On May 21
LexngtonSteele:

Don't even bother calling MODs. It's open season. Do me I do you.

One of them had been stupid all through my ban, writing nonsense and getting 200likes on FP and the Mods will look away...

Na him mama I finish last night. Don't bother reporting. Fight fire with fire.

No more ban?

We no need refree.

Make mod free everybody

Na mod dey protect the endangered species
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by deathtoLeo: 5:01pm On May 21
LexngtonSteele:

Don't even bother calling MODs. It's open season. Do me I do you.

One of them had been stupid all through my ban, writing nonsense and getting 200likes on FP and the Mods will look away...

Na him mama I finish last night. Don't bother reporting. Fight fire with fire.
I'm watching you
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Faposky95: 5:01pm On May 21
Armaggedon:
They take life easy by using their people's body parts for ritual but when an Igbo man prospers more than them they begin to envy him.

They show off the most by doing owambe at any slightest meeting but when an Igbo sprays money, they are thrown into a mass hysteria of envy, question his wealth and tagging EFCC again him.

The most ethnic minded people I've come across, yet they do not love one another. The fiercest celebrity rivalry and spat usually happen amongst them.

The biggest farmers of hate and injustice. Whoever is unpopular among his people becomes their biggest ally and whoever is born among them learns to hate his people until he grows up to meet his people and learns the truth.

We are different kinds of people hence stereotypes everywhere......
Yoruba are noble and accommodating people.
Queer though but inherently noble.....
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by deathtoLeo: 5:01pm On May 21
Idun2024:

No more ban?

We no need refree.

Make mod free everybody

Na mod dey protect the endangered species
I'm watching you
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by YorubaLord: 5:01pm On May 21
We lead; those okoro bastards follow! angry
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Holluwhakemmy(f): 5:04pm On May 21
BigBlackPreek:
Yoruba lagba 🦹
Yoruba Ni Baba

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Holluwhakemmy(f): 5:05pm On May 21
EmeeNaka:
This post is not useful.
More useful than you thought

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Ijaya123: 5:07pm On May 21
Armaggedon:

They show off the most by doing owambe at any slightest meeting but when an Igbo sprays money, they are thrown into mass envy, questioning his wealth and tagging EFCC again him.

The biggest farmers of hate and injustice. Whoever is unpopular among his people becomes their closest ally and whoever is born among them learns to hate his people until he grows up to meet his people and learns the truth.

Last time I checked, we know those who run orkija shrine where they use human parts for all types of rituals and even eat them.

Look on the mirror and see who you described up there.
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by maxiuc(m): 5:07pm On May 21
Nyamiriflathed:

Problem is that if we do bigotry for bigotry, they are now dishing out 6 weeks ban mostly to Yoruba posters.

I got 6 weeks ban in the past for calling someone IPOB terrorist after he wished violence in the SW. Got another one in the past for calling someone Igbo after the poster used the word cone head. Guess what, the guy was not banned.
ok what about me that just mentioned Afonj*a and they banned in general section and travel section
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by stevups(m): 5:08pm On May 21
You are a good writer
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by YorubaLord: 5:10pm On May 21
NyamiriFlathead:
Never compare darkness to light... Those people from that land are backward in everything

I swear. Very retrogressive set of savages. cool
Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by shegra58: 5:10pm On May 21
Armaggedon:

They show off the most by doing owambe at any slightest meeting but when an Igbo sprays money, they are thrown into mass envy, questioning his wealth and tagging EFCC again him.

The biggest farmers of hate and injustice. Whoever is unpopular among his people becomes their closest ally and whoever is born among them learns to hate his people until he grows up to meet his people and learns the truth.
Still Yoruba land is a refugee camp for Igbo
You forget to add that one

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Yoruba Land - Azuka Onwuka by Samesame247: 5:14pm On May 21
Being Yoruba is a weakness; which is why Yoruba made men need Igbo wives to purify their lineage.

Ask 001

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Proudly Bini Names And Meaning / Traditional Rulers Storm Anambra For Abolition Of Osu, Others / Oba Fatai Irawo Of 'Odi-olowo' Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.