Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,298 members, 7,860,730 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:05 PM

OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") (11619 Views)

Scarlett Johansson & Mariah Carey Says Derek Jeter Gave Them Herpes! / Is Scarlett Johansson Looks Attractive After Breast Reduction Surgery? / Scarlett Johansson Tops Forbes’ Highest Paid Actresses List For 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by nlfpmod: 12:06pm On May 21
Actor Scarlett Johansson said in a statement shared with CNN on Monday that she was “shocked, angered and in disbelief” that OpenAI CEO Sam Altman would use a synthetic voice released with an update to ChatGPT “so eerily similar” to hers.

The statement comes after OpenAI said it is hitting the pause button on the update after comparisons with a fictional voice assistant portrayed in the quasi-dystopian film “Her” by Johansson.

The retreat by OpenAI follows a backlash to the artificial voice, known as Sky, which critics described as being overly familiar with users and sounded as if it had emerged from a male developer’s fantasy. It was widely mocked for its flirtatious tone.

We’ve heard questions about how we chose the voices in ChatGPT, especially Sky,” OpenAI said in a post on social media Monday. “We are working to pause the use of Sky while we address them.”

Johansson said Altman offered to hire her last September to voice the ChatGPT 4.0 system. She said she declined the offer for “personal reasons.”

“Two days before the ChatGPT 4.0 demo was released, Mr. Altman contacted my agent, asking me to reconsider. Before we could connect, the system was out there.”

Johansson said she hired legal counsel, and said OpenAI “reluctantly agreed” to take down the “Sky” voice after her counsel sent Altman two letters.

In a time when we are all grappling with deepfakes and the protection of our own likeness, our own work, our own identities, I believe these are questions that deserve absolute clarity. I look forward to resolution in the form of transparency and the passage of appropriate legislation to help ensure that individual rights are protected,” Johansson wrote.

The voice in question is not derived from Johansson’s, the company said in a blog post Sunday, but instead “belongs to a different professional actress using her own natural speaking voice.”

Altman reiterated the company’s stance that “Sky” was voiced by a different actress in a statement Monday, following Johansson’s claims.

The voice of Sky is not Scarlett Johansson’s, and it was never intended to resemble hers,” Altman said. “We cast the voice actor behind Sky’s voice before any outreach to Ms. Johansson. Out of respect for Ms. Johansson, we have paused using Sky’s voice in our products. We are sorry to Ms. Johansson that we didn’t communicate better.”

OpenAI said that with each of its AI voices, it tried to create “an approachable voice that inspires trust,” one that contains a “rich tone” and is “natural and easy to listen to.” The ChatGPT voice mode that used the Sky voice had not yet been widely released, but videos from the product announcement and teasers of OpenAI employees speaking with it went viral online last week.

Some who heard Sky derided it as perhaps too easy to listen to. Last week, the controversy inspired a segment on The Daily Show in which senior correspondent Desi Lydic described Sky as a “Hot robot baby voice.”

“This is clearly programmed to feed dudes’ egos,” Lydic said. “You can really tell that a man built this tech.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/20/tech/openai-pausing-flirty-chatgpt-voice/index.html

Last September, I received an offer from Sam Altman, who wanted to hire me to voice the current ChatGPT 4.0 system. He told me that he felt that by my voicing the system, I could bridge the gap between tech companies and creatives and help consumers to feel comfortable with the seismic shift concerning humans and Al. He said he felt that my voice would be comforting to people.

After much consideration and for personal reasons, I declined the offer. Nine months later, my friends, family and the general public all noted how much the newest system named "Sky" sounded like me.

When I heard the released demo, I was shocked, angered and in disbelief that Mr. Altman would pursue a voice that sounded so eerily similar to mine that my closest friends and news outlets could not tell the difference. Mr. Altman even insinuated that the similarity was intentional, tweeting a single word "her" -a reference to the film in which I voiced a chat system, Samantha, who forms an intimate relationship with a human.

Two days before the ChatGPT 4.0 demo was released, Mr. Altman contacted my agent, asking me to reconsider. Before we could connect, the system was out there.
As a result of their actions, I was forced to hire legal counsel, who wrote two letters to Mr. Altman and OpenAl, setting out what they had done and asking them to detail the exact process by which they created the "Sky" voice. Consequently, OpenAl reluctantly agreed to take down the "Sky" voice.

In a time when we are all grappling with deepfakes and the protection of our own likeness, our own work, our own identities, I believe these are questions that deserve absolute clarity. I look forward to resolution in the form of transparency and the passage of appropriate legislation to help ensure that individual rights are protected.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by fullclub: 12:09pm On May 21
Open ai the new threat to most jobs now

15 Likes

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Donchieli: 12:10pm On May 21
Hehw
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by wonder233: 12:10pm On May 21
They stole her voice. They should pay her for it or discontinue using her voice. Same way, Guinness tried to sidestep paying Victor Uwaifo for the theme song of their advert for the popular blind football commentator advert.
After being served notice, they initially denied, trying to hide behind AI, but eventually had to back down and replace with a bland instrumental.
AI is no substitute for natural talent.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Metrofox(m): 12:11pm On May 21
A man built the tech. So what?A Woman should go build hers too

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Waakanda: 12:11pm On May 21
That's technology for you. No where to hide again cool

2 Likes

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by 4mee: 12:12pm On May 21
angry

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by oluwaseyi0: 12:13pm On May 21
better cash out if she decide to sue
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by integrity16(m): 12:14pm On May 21
K

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by house10studios: 12:14pm On May 21
Sooo looking forward to ai being sued
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Sccarrr: 12:14pm On May 21
oluwaseyi0:
better cash out if she decide to sue
oyinbo dey forgive bfr?...evn if na family she go still sue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by SafariHunter(m): 12:14pm On May 21
As expected
Watch what AI will do in the next few years...

Hahahah
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by harsysky(m): 12:15pm On May 21
fullclub:

would it on its own do the work? I will bring up new kind of roles to jobs and get people busy with acquiring more skills.

Has washing machine stopped laundry houses from opening? No!

3 Likes

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by FavouredBiano(m): 12:15pm On May 21
fullclub:

very true
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Sccarrr: 12:16pm On May 21
fullclub:
na lie
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Almunjid(m): 12:17pm On May 21
I like the creative ideas of the developers of the OpenAI but I no like their Bum drilling lifestyle.

2 Likes

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Otulaeke: 12:18pm On May 21
Funny
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Everyday247: 12:19pm On May 21
What if there is a real life person who has a similar voice and then sold their voice to Open AI?

Is she the only one with that type of voice? undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by MrAdam: 12:19pm On May 21
You're now a mentor to AI. Scarlett anyday anytime.. her movies are an point.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by PotatoSalad(m): 12:19pm On May 21
Sky Doesn't sound like her.
Had to check before commenting. wetin she smoke?
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Skillsnigeria: 12:19pm On May 21
grin hmmm
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by MercygatU: 12:21pm On May 21
Wow
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Simeony007(m): 12:22pm On May 21
I saw one that was teaching a boy how to solve trigonometry on tiktok and I'm like many of us will be rendered jobless in five years time. 🙆🏼‍♂️

2 Likes

Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by WantsandMore: 12:24pm On May 21
2027 election will be interesting, I hope both apc,pdp and lp use ai for positive campaigns rather than creating chaos and fake news and misinformation
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by Valuepro31: 12:26pm On May 21
Otulaeke:
Funny
cheesy
Re: OpenAI Stole Scarlett Johansson's Voice For Chatgpt-4o ("Sky") by abc115: 12:27pm On May 21
Actress

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cassie Vs Rihanna / Ini Edo Replies Pregnancy Rumours / Popular OAP, Matse Admits Using Food To Trap Her Husband.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.