Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,927 members, 7,866,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:08 PM

'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod (19586 Views)

Tinubu To Receive Draft Bill Seeking Return To Regional Government On Friday / Reno Omokri: Adoption Of Old Anthem A Giant Step Backwards, I Am Sad / Seyi Tinubu Meets E-Money, Yul Edochie, Odumeje, Sings Nigerian Old Anthem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by fergie001: 2:39pm On May 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbzLPlgHb4
A Bill seeking to to make provision for Nigeria to revert to its old aational anthem has scaled through second reading at the Senate.

The bill sponsored by the Leader of the Senate, Opeyemi Bamidele, enjoys overwhelming support from the lawmakers.

It has been referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters to report back to the house in two weeks.

The lawmakers who appeared unanimous in support of the bill, argued that it would promote better symbol for unity, peace and prosperity, compared to the current one.

After a closed door session to debate on the bill, the lawmakers asserted that the current national anthem is a product of the military junta, decreed by the military and therefore should be discarded to adequately capture the nations democratic values, integrity and principally foster commitment to nationhood.

The old anthem “Nigeria, We Hail Thee” was replaced with the current one “Arise, O Compatriots in 1978.

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has passed the bill to revert to the old national anthem “Nigeria, We Hail Thee”.

The bill was quickly passed through first second and third reading at the lower chamber within minutes.

SOURCE

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Beremx(f): 2:41pm On May 23
angry

How is this going to solve the numerous problems we are facing in the country?

What a misplaced priority

216 Likes 24 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by emkz: 2:41pm On May 23
Nigerian Senate, if you have run out of things to debate, consider the following:

1. Amend the laws so that all employers in Nigeria can increase hazard allowances to all employees. They can also increase employers' contributions to NHIS. Also to include in the laws are increased transport and housing allowances to employees.

2. Amend the laws so that EFCC and police must put a reward on those they declare wanted. That way, people will find additional means of income. The money EFCC recovers from criminals would not be depleted if a small percentage is given to those who volunteer information.

3. Amend the laws so that state police must not be passed. The governors will abuse it. They can use local vigilante to police their states and fund them. These state governors destroyed local governments. They must not be allowed to completely destroy the police.

4. Amend the laws to ensure that all political party primaries are direct primaries to prevent governors from installing their stooges and puppets on the people.

5. Look into the laws to prevent CBN from selling dollars through BDCs to Nigerians. Any Nigerian who needs fx must go to a bank. For all cases, fx needs can be done electronically. These include payment of school fees, BTA/PTA and even letters of credit. Putting fx directly in the hands of Nigerians WITHIN Nigeria without establishing what they are using it for does not make any economic sense.

6. Also make laws to reduce the costs of importing cars to Nigeria, especially customs clearances. It is too much. We deserve to drive good fairly used American cars in Nigeria.

7. Most importantly, pass laws to disband the senate since you people don't know what you are doing.

220 Likes 28 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by TinubuThief: 2:41pm On May 23
grin
I won't say anything other than, anytime I catch the angel that mistakenly carry me enter Nigeria, I swear, I go slap am. Unless say them beg me make I leave am, them go now compensate me with my 72 holoshos for knacking if not....

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Racoon(m): 2:42pm On May 23
For goodness sake see the useless thing they are discussing in the midst of the misgovernance and destruction of this country by successive governments.

Even the defective 1999 constitution being quoted by these NASS was also forcefully bequeathed to Nigeria by the vestigial reminants of the military regime that outlived the post July 1966 military governments.

This is what happens when you become bereft of ideas to move a nation forward. Meanwhile, what happened to the "on your mandate we shall stand" allegiance they pledged to the disaster on seat today?

They left their check and balance role to become corrupt govt rubberstamp stooges.You can't foster pan-nationalism is the midst of irresponsible government that does not inspire or engender patriotism. Idiots!

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by DMerciful(m): 2:42pm On May 23
The old anthem is better.

They can also return the 1963 constitution. Why not?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by gaby(m): 2:54pm On May 23
Hahhaha

Clueless, jobless, and bored people presiding over a nation's legislative arm.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by MartinCorridon: 2:54pm On May 23
grin

Nnamdi Kanu is free to sing Biafra Anthem while eating his Kuje beans.

Fear Government. They made him brand ambassador
for Fendi. He don wear that Fendi jacket tire.

53 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by 89green: 2:55pm On May 23
You see why i always say that these people are agents of backwardness.

Why not just concentrate on the most important issues at the moment. Education, health, food, welfare, general constituency developments etc.

Anyways, let me keep my APC discount card very well so i can get my 30kg of palm oil for 250 naira. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by EnglishUsa: 2:55pm On May 23
Please, Where is national assembly headquarters located?

18 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by MartinCorridon: 2:55pm On May 23
cool

46 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by CelestineNelson: 2:55pm On May 23
U
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Ancecoker(m): 2:55pm On May 23
grin
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by ChangedMan1999(m): 2:55pm On May 23
cry
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by ZACHIE: 2:56pm On May 23
Is that the issue?
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Babangidapikin: 2:56pm On May 23
This one go hard o ... I never master Arise o Compatriots

And

O God of Creation

This Nigeria we hail thee go hard o
Because I no dey hail Nigeria at all
Although though tribe and tongue may differ in brotherhood we stand make sense Sha.

1 Like

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by christejames(m): 2:56pm On May 23
Wetin person Wan hail? undecided

The same Nigeria dishing us hunger? embarassed

5 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Ekaette1621990: 2:56pm On May 23
[color=#006600][/color]

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

E suppose be "APC WE HAIL THEE FOR DISHING OUT HUNGER AND TAXES TO NIGERIANS "

Anyway I laugh in Swahili 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

3 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by AnambraPikinSel: 2:57pm On May 23
Who and who will sing this ballad with them? grin

5 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Authoreety: 2:57pm On May 23
These guys no get work o

4 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Biafrannuke: 2:57pm On May 23
Continue the reverse gear by passing a referendum bill as quickly as you're doing this one.

3 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Smartcitizen: 2:58pm On May 23
MartinCorridon:
grin

Nnamdi Kanu is free to sing Biafra Anthem while eating his Kuje beans.

Fear Government. They made him brand ambassador
for Fendi. He don wear that Fendi jacket tire.

Upon your suffering o!

This one don finish,

I pity em family o!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by nairalanda1(m): 2:58pm On May 23
emkz:
Nigerian Senate, if you have run out of things to debate, consider the following:

1. Amend the laws so that all employers in Nigeria can increase hazard allowances to all employees. They can also increase employers' contributions to NHIS. Also to include in the laws are increased transport and housing allowances to employees.

I'll back that. But at the end, if you want functiong healthcare, you have to increase tax to gdp ratio to fund it, not employer contribution. Employers can only give up to x

2. Amend the laws so that EFCC and police must put a reward on those they declare wanted. That way, people will find additional means of income. The money EFCC recovers from criminals would not be depleted if a small percentage is given to those who volunteer information.

We kinda have a law that already incetivises reporting corruption. EFCC don't need this

3. Amend the laws so that state police must not be passed. The governors will abuse it. They can use local vigilante to police their states and fund them. These state governors destroyed local governments. They must not be allowed to completely destroy the police.

IN brief, a state governor would eventually have to choose between a prosperous state with lotsa investment, or act like the local thug, and be on the hook for loans. TO get point one means a working state police. Also, LG elections fail because Nigerians don't want to make the LG thing work.

Only issue with state police is funding. Otherwise, all other arguments don't work.

4. Amend the laws to ensure that all political party primaries are direct primaries to prevent governors from installing their stooges and puppets on the people.

It may work, it may not. Nigerians are funny people.

5. Look into the laws to prevent CBN from selling dollars through BDCs to Nigerians. Any Nigerian who needs fx must go to a bank. For all cases, fx can be done electronically. These include payment of school fees, BTA/PTA and even letters of credit. Putting fx directly in the hands of Nigerians WITHIN Nigeria without establishing what they are using it for does not make sense.

Na, won't work. NIgerians are very cunny. Banks also sell to BDC. Plus a lot of our forex issues is because we are not earning enough forex. We spend most of the forex coming in on debt repayments. PLus oil price nevah favor us.

(Yass, we are the least indebted nation...per gdp. We don't tax our gdp very well either.).
6. Also make laws to reduce the costs of importing cars to Nigeria, especially customs clearances. It is too much. We deserve to drive good fairly used American cats in Nigeria.

No, not going to work. That's a major source of income for the exchequer. Especially since oil money isn't as much as before, and only 20% of income cometh from taxes.

7. Most importantly, pass laws to remove the senate since you people don't know what you are doing.

Would you pass that kind of law if you were a senator? Only way to do that is to suspend the constitution and get a transition government which would write a new constitution to make the NA Unicameral.

7 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by GbengaAwe042(m): 2:58pm On May 23
If i swear for them for that place now, thgem go say i bad. Of all the numerous challenges we are experiencing in this country na to go re-enact old national anthem this Hediot think of.........? Our leaders are cursed i swear! angry

2 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by slivertongue: 2:59pm On May 23
misplacement of priority
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by DeLaRue: 2:59pm On May 23
This actually one sounds more rousing.

But national anthem is not, and has never been Nigeria 's problem.

The Senators should focus on more important issues facing the country.

3 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Mathain19(m): 2:59pm On May 23
Always Remember That Nigeria is a British Project Not a Country.

1 Like

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Tonytonex(m): 2:59pm On May 23
fergie001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbzLPlgHb4

SOURCE
Will that brings down the dollar to 200?

1 Like

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by naija2485: 3:00pm On May 23
You unfollow & forget me after becoming a superstar -Seyi Vibez alleged friend called him out

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIyJ8wNlSE
Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by Kobicove(m): 3:00pm On May 23
Clowns, this is pure foolishness!

We're not going back to the vestiges of colonialism angry

4 Likes

Re: 'Nigeria, We Hail Thee': Bill seeking return of old anthem gets Reps, Senate nod by forgiveness: 3:00pm On May 23
British things

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Niger Bridge Is Falling! / Bala Mohammed: Dogara Is Too Small For Me To Fight / Akeredolu: I Am Not In Support Of Yoruba Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.