Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,251 members, 7,867,657 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:49 PM

Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election (160 Views)

I Hope Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Election, His Team Is Incompetent —Soyinka / Soyinka: I didn't Meet Peter Obi For Reconciliation, Rather He Apologised / 2023: Revolution Awaits If Peter Obi Doesn’t Win – Dele Farotimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by lwisee: 8:28pm On May 23
I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election, His Team Is Incompetent To Lead Nigeria —Wole Soyinka

The literary icon further accused Obi of controlling the online trolls responsible for the insults directed at him and other prominent figures who raised critical questions about the party’s campaign during the electioneering period.

Nobel Laureate Prof Wole Soyinka has said he hopes Peter Obi, a former Labour Party presidential candidate, will not contest the next election.
yinka said this in a recent interview with Noble Nigeria, arguing that the actions of the Labour Party leadership in the last election showed that he and his team were not fit to govern Nigeria.

The literary icon further accused Obi of controlling the online trolls responsible for the insults directed at him and other prominent figures who raised critical questions about the party’s campaign during the electioneering period.

Soyinka was constantly insulted by Obi’s supporters, known as ‘Obidients’ on social media, especially X.

Soyinka said, “It has to do with education. I didn’t read all these (insults by Obidient Movement) but of course, some links were sent to me, especially when facts were ‘being manufactured’.

“When I read these things, I was disgusted. There’s no other word for it. I really was disgusted and I know that it was orchestrated.

“I know that there is a relay mechanism, which is triggered into action by those who control what we call the trolls of the Internet, and so my disgust and contempt. I just went about my business, you know, because nobody, anybody on this earth who thinks they can stop me telling the truth as I see it needs to have his or her head examined. It’s as elementary as that.

“But it is depressing to see those who wanted to be political leaders encouraging that kind of action, that kind of attitude in the youth. And my mind went to the expression, ‘They don’t know what they’re doing’. Those who sow the wind will reap the whirlwind.”

Soyinka, who described the online trolls as “foot soldiers” added that “they’ve trained in that aspect”.

He said, “One of these days, they would be astonished, they would turn on them and teach them a lesson. And so, my attitude was very blasé and it is for me a sad phenomenon, especially for those who want to lead multi-textured (society)- different religions, different ethnic groups, different worldviews - who actually want to preside over such a group as one. It means that they have already declared themselves incompetent to lead such an entity.”

When asked about Obi and his candidacy in the last election, Soyinka said, “I hope for the sake of the nation that he doesn’t express interest in the next election because for me as a leader, if there was any proof that he was unfit to lead that country, it’s in the conduct which he encouraged among his followers.”

https://saharareporters.com/2024/05/23/i-hope-peter-obi-doesnt-contest-next-presidential-election-his-team-incompetent-lead
Re: Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by WizardOfNG: 8:33pm On May 23
100% correct. Nigeria does not need a bigoted and fascist general (Obi as President) commanding a bigoted, uncouth, bullying and fascist army I.e Obidients.

Our Country would turn into worse than the SE under Ekpa and Kanu if Obi and his mob get anywhere Near Aso Rock.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by Zulu11zulu: 8:36pm On May 23
So Baba is telling us that tinubu is fit to read the country.
Baba you remember Jonathan wife you call a siting president wife hippopotamus what an insult but common small stones wee trow on you they make you angry like this.

You better shot up before you start looking for trouble.

Tell tinubu to talk to Nigeria wee want to ask him some questions as our president.
Re: Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by kYjelly2: 8:38pm On May 23
WizardOfNG:
100% correct. Nigeria does not need a bigoted and fascist general (Obi as President) commanding a bigoted, uncouth, bullying and fascist army I.e Obidients.

Our Country would turn into worse than the SE under Ekpa and Kanu if Obi and his mob get anywhere Near Aso Rock.

heya cry

Re: Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by Remman(m): 8:56pm On May 23
Mr man or whatever you call yourself, your hope is an empty wish.
Re: Wole Soyinka - I Hope Peter Obi Doesn’t Contest Next Presidential Election by Mynd44: 5:58am On May 24

(1)

One Year Of Doing Things Differently: The Peter Mbah Story / Naija Trump Supporters, He Said ''I Don't Want You In My Country.'' (vid) / ALUTA THINGZ: Labour / Legislators Meeting Deadlocked, Strike Commences 03june24

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.