Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,912 members, 7,863,154 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:22 PM

Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check (14690 Views)

Dino Melaye Thanks Goodluck Jonathan For Completing 85% Of Abuja Light Rail / Ben Bruce Faults Buhari On Commissioning Abuja Light Railway / Buhari To Launch Abuja Rail Mass Transit Project On Thursday (Tomorrow) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by dre11(m): 8:32pm On May 25
By Philip Shimnom Clement

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike on Thursday in Abuja claimed that past government inaugurated the buildings at the Abuja Light Rail centre, insinuating that there was no previous launching of the infrastructure for commercial operation.

Wike made the disclosure at a ministerial press briefing to commemorate activities marking President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s first year in office.

Verdict: Misleading

What Wike said

During the ministerial sectoral updates in Abuja on Thursday, Wike announced that President Tinubu would inaugurate commercial operation of the Abuja metro line, stating that the present administration would be launching the actual metro operations, and not buildings.

The President is set to ride the metro line on Monday, May 27, and from Tuesday, free rides will be available to the public for two months.

Wike said the move aims to alleviate transportation costs for residents and aligns with the Tinubu government’s “Renewed Hope Agenda”.

He stated, “We are not talking of commissioning buildings, but the commercial operation. There were no access roads to the stations, which impeded the operation of the metro line.

“The President will ride on the metro line on Monday, 27th May; it will be your turn, Nigerians, as from Tuesday.

“And there will be free rides for two months, to reduce the pain on our people, that is what is called the Renewed Hope Agenda.”

Verification

Checks by Daily Trust revealed that former President Muhammadu Buhari on July 12 2018 inaugurated the Abuja light rail project describing it as “A dream come true”

He took a ride from the Abuja metro station to Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, signalling the commencement of operations of the long-awaited rail services in the federal capital territory (FCT), Abuja.

He charged the FCT administration, especially, the management of the rail services, to ensure efficient operations, good customer service and maintenance culture.

The ceremony took place at the new metro station in central business district (CBD), Abuja.

“The Abuja Light Rail System is further evidence that we are a government that delivers on its promises. A modern rail service will greatly boost the FCT economy and enhance social life,” Buhari had said.

Subsequently Daily Trust had also published a photo of former President Buhari taking a ride on the train with former FCT minister Mohammed Bello and former minister of information Lai Mohamed as well as other government dignitaries.

About the project

Further checks by Daily Trust show that the 45.245km standard guage rail line from Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to the Abuja Metro Station is the first of its kind in West Africa and took over 11 years to complete.

The project financed through counterpart-funding with the China Export Import (Exim) Bank on the basis of 60 per cent from the Chinese and 40 percent from the FCT administration.

It will link 13 communities with 12 stations at the Abuja Metro, Stadium, Kukwaba 1 and 2, Wupa, Idu, Bassanjiwa, Airport, Gwagwa Dei-Dei, Kagini and Gbazango.

The then minister of FCT, Muhammad Bello, noted that Buhari only inaugurated phase 1 of the Abuja Rail Mass Transit Project (ARMTP), adding that the FCTA was already working on phase II of the Abuja Rail Mass Transit Project to cover a distance of 32.54km from Nnamdi Azikwe Expressway at Garki Area I via the Transportation Centre to Gwagwa and from Bazango Station to Kubwa.

Bello added that the federal executive council approved the project in 2017 for construction by CCECC at a cost of US$1.3 billion, expressing hope that the Ministry of Finance would consider putting the project in the next borrowing plans.

Conclusion

Former President Buhari indeed launched commercial operations of the Abuja light project in 2018, invalidating Wike’s insinuation that there was no previous inauguration of commercial operation of the metro line.

https://dailytrust.com/fact-check-is-tinubu-govt-first-to-launch-abuja-light-rail-operation/

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by turmacs(f): 8:37pm On May 25
Who even takes those one's seriously again? OP please don't bother yourself fact checking those shameless liars, everybody knows that anything that comes out of their mouths is a lie. That was how they came out to lie that AP moller wanted to invest imaginary $600M in Nigeria, if not that mearsk came out to call out their shameless lies, nonsense.

Anyways, what do I know? 🤷‍♀️

Nairalanders please i'm craving fried rice and chicken this Sunday. A want to eat fried rice and chicken with plantain and cold chivita, prepared by a man that wants to sleep with me, I have transport fare.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by JagabanB: 8:42pm On May 25
I don't know what you are trying to fact check because Wike talked about "commercial operations", you should be more focused on if the rail will function properly than "fact check".

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by flokii: 8:42pm On May 25
How I wish they can secure the rail corridor with high tension electric lines such that any trespasser attempting to attack the train will be electrocuted instantly.. they should consider this option to make train services in Nigeria especially around Abuja-Kaduna more secure.

5 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by JagabanB: 8:44pm On May 25
flokii:
How I wish they can secure the rail corridor with high tension electric lines such that any trespasser attempting to attack the train will be eletrocuted instantly.. they should consider this option to make train services in Nigeria especially around Abuja-Kaduna more secure.
When was the last time incidents like this happened around Kaduna-Abuja?
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by flokii: 8:47pm On May 25
JagabanB:

When was the last time incidents like this happened around Kaduna-Abuja?

Have you ever been to Abuja or even Kaduna?.. cos if you know how volatile the area is, you wouldn't be asking such question.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by JagabanB: 8:53pm On May 25
flokii:

Have you ever been to Abuja or even Kaduna?.. cos if you know how volatile the area is, you wouldn't be asking such queation.
I took off from Kakuri in Kaduna exactly 8:30pm on Monday, this Monday that just passed, I went to Lokoja through Abuja, I got to my hotel at about 1-2am can't remember the exact time.
You know the reality?
That particular road is flooded with vehicles even in the dead of the night.
That's not the first time I am using that road at night.
You probably haven't been to Abuja or Kaduna that's why you are typing what you are typing.
It's a road I comfortably ply at night if I have commitments to meet up with the following morning.

11 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by flokii: 8:58pm On May 25
JagabanB:

I took off from Kakuri in Kaduna exactly 8:30pm on Monday, this Monday that just passed, I went to Lokoja through Abuja, I got to my hotel at about 1-2am can't remember the exact time.
You know the reality?
That particular road is flooded with vehicles even in the dead of the night.
That's not the first time I am using that road at night.
You probably haven't been to Abuja or Kaduna that's why you are typing what you are typing.
It's a road I comfortably ply at night if I have commitments to meet up with the following morning.

You have no idea of places I've been to in this Nigeria and roads I've plied.. desert o, hotbed of insecurity, etc. we dey there.
My humble suggestion is for preventive measure against train attacks. shikena.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Ofunaofu: 8:59pm On May 25
In a futile effort to remain relevant, Wike has now become an arm of the propaganda machinery of the Tinubu administration. 

A machinery built just to spread lies, falsehood, and propaganda

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by JagabanB: 9:00pm On May 25
flokii:

You have no idea of places I've been to in this Nigeria and roads I've plied.. desert o, hotbed of insecurity, etc. we dey there.
You also have no idea where I have plied, you just gave a very wrong info about Kaduna-Abuja road and rail, I ask you again, when was the last time such incident happened?
I have been to every stretch of Nigeria apart from Sambisa, I don't share fàke news, I share reality and I can cite examples to you that I have been there.
If you travel like you claim, you won't make such lousy comments about Kaduna-Abuja axis.

7 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by flokii: 9:04pm On May 25
JagabanB:

You also have no idea where I have plied, you just gave a very wrong info about Kaduna-Abuja road and rail, I ask you again, when was the last time such incident happened?
I have been to every stretch of Nigeria apart from Sambisa, I don't share fàke news, I share reality and I can cite examples to you that I have been there.
If you travel like you claim, you won't make such lousy comments about Kaduna-Abuja axis.

Let me not join issues with you.. you've won.

12 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by JagabanB: 9:11pm On May 25
flokii:

You probably have nothing to say other than spreading negative news and statements.
Kidnapping happened in another train station somewhere around Delta, you didn't make this suggestion there, "Kaduna-Abuja is volatile" I'm sure you haven't been to that road to know what it looks like, just talks.

5 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Racoon(m): 9:25pm On May 25
Liars, scammers, fraudsters and propagandists.

4 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by slimfit1(m): 9:44pm On May 25
Hausa people just want to rule but don't know what to do when they get to power. That is what annoyed me the most.

4 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Skoonheid(f): 8:49am On May 26
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government.
This government is the hybrid.
The inflation you are experiencing and the multiple taxation, is this criminal hybrids stealing you blind. The propaganda is to lull you to sleep.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by condralbedez: 8:49am On May 26
undecided

Lying Bastards, you people can only use the brains of the agbadorians to shine!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by franchasofficia: 8:50am On May 26
Tinubu will fail as a President, not really by his making but because of so many reasons beyond his control:

1.) He forced himself in as President using unnatural means when God did not ordain him to become Nigeria's President.

2.) He masterminded the unjust balkanization of an innocent man's government; Goodluck Jonathan wanted the best for Nigeria and was trying his best but Tinubu sponsored all manner of dangerous propaganda against him just to fulfill his Presidential ambition, and for this, God is not backing Tinubu's Presidency so whatever Tinubu does even if he has good intentions ends up as failure because of the role he played in bringing down Goodluck Jonathan's government

3.) The role his Vice Shettima played in Chibok girl's kidnap, the forces of nature are against him, some of those girls died and their blood is still crying for vengeance.

4.) 2023 was ordained by God for Igbos to produce the President. It was God's ordinance to set Nigeria on the right path to greatness, but Bola Tinubu and INEC joined with Buhari's wickedness and unforgiven heart thwarted that plan God had for Nigeria and so Nigeria will wander in leadership failures until they respect God's ordinance which is for an Igbo man endorsed by majority of ordinary Igbos (not a politician endorsed by Igbo political leaders) becomes President of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by naptu2: 8:51am On May 26
This has already been explained before.

1) Abuja Light Rail was launched by President Buhari in 2018.

2) Trial runs (free ride) began in 2019/2020, but they were stopped due to Covid 19.

3) The facilities were heavily vandalised during the COVID 19 lockdown, such that the trains couldn't move.

4) The vandalised facilities had to be replaced and new security features installed to prevent vandalisation.

5) What's happening now is not a launch of the light rail but a start of commercial operations.

All of these have been covered on nairaland

Some of the people that vandalised the facilities were later arrested by the police. That too was reported on Nairaland.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Garnachoo: 8:52am On May 26
Ok
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by BarrElChapo(m): 8:52am On May 26
😂
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by TechBaron: 8:54am On May 26
Doesn't matter.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by vibratingpenis: 8:55am On May 26
JagabanB:

I have been to every stretch of Nigeria apart from Sambisa, I don't share fàke news

And jagaban is in your moniker, kai! Agbadorians won't kill person with laugh

I share reality and I can cite examples to you that I have been there.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 8:55am On May 26
okoo
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Starships4u(m): 8:55am On May 26
I nor dey interested in 9ja politics again...

1 Like

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Starhearts: 8:56am On May 26
flokii:

Who knack u hammer 🔨 4 head

2 Likes

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by emmabest2000(m): 8:56am On May 26
Unnecessary checking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by MEGAWATCH: 8:57am On May 26
TELLING LIES CAN BECOME A WAY OF LIFE IF CARE IS NOT TAKING.

MOST OF YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAREFUL WITH POLITICIANS .
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Starhearts: 8:57am On May 26
flokii:

Stop spreading fake news

1 Like

Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by Treasure17(m): 8:59am On May 26
Tinubu should resign asap.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by greenermodels: 9:00am On May 26
Nigeria is under a criminal state capture with the likes of Wike and Tinubu in government.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by naptu2: 9:01am On May 26
Wike Inspects Abuja Rail Mass Transit System Ahead Of Commercial Operations

Dannupawa:
...EXPRESSES SATISFACTION WITH WORK QUALITY

1. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barrister Ezenwo Nyesom Wike on Monday, May 20, 2024, inspected the Abuja Rail Mass Transit system, ahead of the flag-off of its commercial operations by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, as part of the first-anniversary celebration of the Federal Government.

2. The FCT Minister’s inspection visit commenced at the Abuja Metro Station in the Central Business District where he inspected facilities, then rode on the train, making stops at the Stadium, Idu, and the Airport stations along the route.

3. The Minister who expressed satisfaction with the quality of work and the facilities at the train stations, said the project was ready to be inaugurated for commercial operation by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, adding that the promise made by the President has become a reality.

4. According to the FCT Minister, “In a few days, the President will inaugurate the commercial operation of this Metro line. We have to thank God Almighty that we are good to go. We are ready and you can see the facilities. So, we are very happy and we thank God the promise Mr. President made has been kept”.

5. The FCT Minister further disclosed that the access roads to the train stations were also completed, adding that residents from the various communities would be able to drive to any of the train stations and board the train to their destination.

7. He however stated that some of the facilities that were omitted during the design of the project, including escalators and elevators for the sick and elderly as well as air-cooling systems, especially, in the waiting areas, would also be taken into consideration and corrected in due course, while assuring that the omission would not hinder operations.

8. He said, “We have been able to identify one or two things that were omitted during the design and we believe that during the operation, some of those things will be taken into consideration.

9. “Particularly, I believe that as a standard metro line, where the passengers will be waiting to board the trains, there should be air conditioners.

10. “I also thought that some of the stations should have had escalators and elevators for probably those who are very old and those who may not have the strength to walk or to climb the staircases.

11. “Apart from that, I think we are happy with the work that has been done and we believe Nigerians will be happy, particularly the residents of the FCT”.

12. Barrister Wike who attributed the achievements by the FCT Administration to the support of President Bola Tinubu also thanked the President for giving him the necessary support.

13. He said, “Assuming we are not getting his support, this wouldn’t have been a reality. So, we want to thank him for the support”.

14. Speaking further on the funding details for the project, Barrister Wike also disclosed that the FCT Administration was able to renegotiate the training cost for personnel from $128 million to $75 million, thereby saving about 53 Million Dollars for the Federal Government.

15. He said “Before we came, the former Administration approved $128 million for the training of our people by CCECC for 29 months and we said no that’s very exorbitant. We renegotiated with CCECC and now it has been brought down to 75 million dollars. We have saved no less than $53 million US Dollars for the government.

16. The Abuja Rail Mass Transit scheme consists of eight stations, the Abuja Metro, Stadium, Kukwaba I, Kukwaba II, Wupa, Idu, Basanjiwa and Airport stations.

ANTHONY OGUNLEYE

DIRECTOR OF PRESS

OFFICE OF THE MINISTER

20/05/2024

FCTA/ODP/PR/540

PHOTO CAPTIONS

1, FCT Minister, Barrister Nyesom Wike stepping out of an Abuja Metro train coach during his tour of facilities of the Abuja Rail Mass Transit system in Abuja on Monday

2 . FCT Minister, Barrister Nyesom Wike (left) with the Secretary for Transportation Hon Chinedu Elechi (right) at the Abuja Metro station during minister's tour of facilities at the Abuja Rail Mass Transit system on Monday.
Re: Is Tinubu Gov’t First To Launch Abuja Light Rail Operation? - Fact Check by MemphitzDgreat1(m): 9:02am On May 26
Forget story. Tinubu nor get workings to show Nigerians after 365 days in office asides high inflation rates, poverty-stricken ridden South West, High electricity tariff without improvement of electricity supply, High tax rates, incredibly stupid and incompetent ministers, etc.

P.S, Hunger wan eliminate helinues and Yarimo.... especially that Yarimo as it's been since tha day for yesterday he see something chop oooooo. Na even Beans N200 with im miserable N100 bread wey he go collect better flogging before he collect the bread chop!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Honourable Patrick Obahiagbon's Latest Joke: Big Grammer, Big Pants / Corrupt Ex-governors Who Are GMB Supporters Will Create Problems For Him – Tsav / 5 In Prison For Disgracing Abubakar Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.