Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,325 members, 7,860,784 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:19 PM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (212718 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (58) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by sooperrescue(m): 8:35am On Jan 12, 2013
Regular unleaded fuel is the fuel commonly used in Nigeria. It is suitable for many cars and also limited to these set of cars. Toyota, Honda, Kia, hyundai, Some models of Nissan, Peugeot, etc. All mercedes uses Premium fuel, which was designed for high compression engines. VW states that if you happen to use Regular fuel on a Passat, do not use full throttle until you get to where you will buy Premium fuel. Other brands that uses Premium fuel are VW, Audi, porsche, infinity, Lexus,acura, Land Rover, Nissan jeeps and late Model cars. Using fuel not recommended for your car creates a lot of problem for your mobile investment. I know a lot of Motorists that imports octane Boosters along with their vehicles. But there are many motorists who claims that their car is fine and works well with regular fuel.
Rescue and Recovery Nigeria
Vehicle Transportation, Repairs and Emergency Rescue
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 12, 2013
^^^ Sooper, I don't mean to be rude, I've said nothing for a while, as I saw you as being new, and not fully knowing the ropes.

This is NOT a sales thread, or one for advertising, which you've consistently done. By all means, start a sales / questions and answers thread promoting your services, in the appropriate forum, the Auto section.

Thank you!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 12, 2013
emalekuo: Pls what's the difference between unleaded fuel and premium fuel?

There isn't any - Unleaded comes in both Regular and Premium.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 12, 2013
emalekuo: Mr siena pls I need your advice, Am being offered a 2000 jetta american specs , automatic,2.0L, 4 cylinder engine. He claimed to have bought it 3 years ago at 120,000 miles and barely used it. Its presently on 130,000 miles. I trust his judgment but I want to know how reliable the car is especially as no one has complained about it on this your wonderful thread.

There are no more issues with the New Jetta, than there would be with a BMW or Mercedes-Benz of a similar year, with similar mileage. My Neighbour runs a 1999 VW Bora 2,0L, she's had it for 3 years and it's a very forgiving car. It will run happily on regular unleaded with octane as low as 91 RON. Hers is currently at 244,000 miles (395,280 kms). No issues till date. She's a district nurse, and runs it on the cheapest gasoline she can buy - Regular Unleaded.

My sister also runs a Bora of the same year, same engine, and at 276,000 miles (447,120 kms) her mileage is considerably higher. All I've replaced since her ownership is the coilpack and the clutch. Nothing else, she doesn't run it on Premium Unleaded either. Her car also gets to work hard, as she tows a 560 kg caravan, when going on vacation. She drives to France like this every Easter.

The 2000 VW Jetta / Bora has a pretty basic 2,0L 8V SOHC engine producing 115 bhp, and will tolerate regular unleaded. The only issue you'll get with regular is slightly higher gas mileage. The Owner's Manual actually quotes the use of regular unleaded, with a minimum octane rating of 91. If your engine was the 1,8T the minimum octane rating would have been 95.

Lastly, 130,000 miles is NOT close to 180,kms. It's actually 210,600 kms.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 12, 2013
bunmayo123: hello genius siena, just bought VW Vento 96, 1.8 auto transmission but no AC. is it advisable to work Ac in the Car? Also, the car is very low to the ground, wat can i do to raise it up? is it fuel efficient? and what is the cost of maintenance like? are the parts readily available in nigeria? pls reply asap. thanks

Personally, I wouldn't install aircon into your car.

There's nothing wrong with having aircon fitted, but where you may have other related issues depends upon the quality of the installation. Get it right, it'll work just like it was factory installed. get it wrong, it may work, but you'll end up with other electrical gremlins, that'll have your mechanic scratching his head. And heart-stopping repair bills.

The cheapest, easiest (and safest) way to gain more ground clearance in your Volkswagen Vento is to fit different wheels and tyres. You don't state what model your 1.8 auto is, but the common size in models with 1,6 / 1,8 engines is 14" wheels, with 185/60x14 tyres. You could go 15" wheels, running 195/65x15 or 205/60x15. Note though, this will increase fuel consumption slightly is city driving. However, it will improve consumption with highway driving, as bigger wheels increase the overall gearing.

Please, don't let your mechanic "modify" your suspension to raise the car!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by FindOut(m): 2:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Boss Siena, please can you comment on the reliability (& any other parameters) of the 'American spec' 1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS. 4 door sedan. Manual transmission. 2.0 litre i4 engine?

Someone's interested in purchasing one. Car looks very very very clean, mileage ridiculously low (way way less than 100,000 & if any tampering was done, it wasnt done in Nigeria. I'm verry sure of that coz its the same mileage that was recorded pre-shipping. Unfortunately, the carfax report had no records on mileage but indicated no rollback & no accidents), engine very sound, factory fitted aircon super, interior very clean. The trunk interior looks like that of a brand new car. Apparently, vehicle was previously used in canada.

Now, i've read some not so nice reviews on Edmunds.com but I would really appreciate ur own input as an expert. I believe that engine is also part of those offered on the Golf MKIII. Is the Passat generally as reliable as the Golf (especially as regards electrical issues, transmission, engine parts, e.t.c.) ? Thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by emalekuo(m): 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
Siena:

There are no more issues with the New Jetta, than there would be with a BMW or Mercedes-Benz of a similar year, with similar mileage. My Neighbour runs a 1999 VW Bora 2,0L, she's had it for 3 years and it's a very forgiving car. It will run happily on regular unleaded with octane as low as 91 RON. Hers is currently at 244,000 miles (395,280 kms). No issues till date. She's a district nurse, and runs it on the cheapest gasoline she can buy - Regular Unleaded.

My sister also runs a Bora of the same year, same engine, and at 276,000 miles (447,120 kms) her mileage is considerably higher. All I've replaced since her ownership is the coilpack and the clutch. Nothing else, she doesn't run it on Premium Unleaded either. Her car also gets to work hard, as she tows a 560 kg caravan, when going on vacation. She drives to France like this every Easter.

The 2000 VW Jetta / Bora has a pretty basic 2,0L 8V SOHC engine producing 115 bhp, and will tolerate regular unleaded. The only issue you'll get with regular is slightly higher gas mileage. The Owner's Manual actually quotes the use of regular unleaded, with a minimum octane rating of 91. If your engine was the 1,8T the minimum octane rating would have been 95.

Lastly, 130,000 miles is NOT close to 180,kms. It's actually 210,600 kms.
Please what do you mean by minimum octane rating of 91?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by omotoda(m): 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2013
Hello Siena, please I need your opinion on something.I have a 2002 Volvo S80 and I want increase it's ground clearance.It came with a set of tyres with size 215/ 55 R16.What other size of 16'' tire can I buy to make it a bit higher from the ground without necessarily having to buy a new set of 17' WHEELS.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 12, 2013
omotoda: Hello Siena, please I need your opinion on something.I have a 2002 Volvo S80 and I want increase it's ground clearance.It came with a set of tyres with size 215/ 55 R16.What other size of 16'' tire can I buy to make it a bit higher from the ground without necessarily having to buy a new set of 17' WHEELS.

Your current set-up is:

215/55x16, overall diameter = 643mm.

You can choose any of the following:

205/60x16, overall diameter = 652mm.
225/55x16, overall diameter = 654mm.

I don't know how wide your 16" wheels are, so can proffer any more combinations with wider tyres and taller sidewalls. Bear in mind though, your speedo will become inaccurate if you go any higher than the two combos, and handling will suffer.

Good luck!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Advocatesam(f): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2013
Mr. Sienna, in respect of a Tokunbo VW Vento I want to buy, It has a very low mileage of 56045km and from the maintenance log book of d car, I dont think there is any roll back of d mileage cos the last service was 54005km. It has a new extra tyre from d factory, d exterior is clean and d interior is super clean. My mechanic said d engine is still very okay.

But d question bothering me now is why a 1996 car mileage is so low like dat and the car looks like brand new.
Pls am confused
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by FindOut(m): 10:49am On Jan 13, 2013
Advocate sam: Mr. Sienna, in respect of a Tokunbo VW Vento I want to buy, It has a very low mileage of 56045km and from the maintenance log book of d car, I dont think there is any roll back of d mileage cos the last service was 54005km. It has a new extra tyre from d factory, d exterior is clean and d interior is super clean. My mechanic said d engine is still very okay.

But d question bothering me now is why a 1996 car mileage is so low like dat and the car looks like brand new.
Pls am confused

Lol. you sure we not talkin abt the same car? Lol. I've seen a VW Passat GLS with exactly the sam features you described.lol. Mileage too is about 52k plus. Interior super clean. Exterior, same. New tyres all round.lol.

Boss Siena, still waiting for your review of the 1996 B4 VW Passat GLS sedan 2.0 litr engine, manual tranny, American/canadian spec. Reliability (especially electrical issues-wise), things to watch out for e.t.c.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by yeko68: 8:41pm On Feb 14, 2013
I just bought a toks vw passat 2001 model v6 3.0 and need general maintenance tips on the car. My regular vw mechanic that has been handling my vw jetta 1989 model is already telling me the car is problematic and this implies the car is beyond his skills.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by phrancys001(m): 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nice thread,for long have had interest in VW golf 5 the fifth generation golf thinking of getting a 1.6 engine manual drive but my fear is the reliability would it be a car that a will i drive with peace of mind without engine issues as like the all durable golf 3,kindly shed more light on the golf 5 before i make my purchase decision,thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2013
yeko68: I just bought a toks vw passat 2001 model v6 3.0 and need general maintenance tips on the car.

The 3,0 V6 engine was never fitted in the Volkswagen Passat B5.5.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2013
phrancys001: Nice thread,for long have had interest in VW golf 5 the fifth generation golf thinking of getting a 1.6 engine manual drive but my fear is the reliability would it be a car that a will i drive with peace of mind without engine issues as like the all durable golf 3,kindly shed more light on the golf 5 before i make my purchase decision,thanks.

I would avoid the 2,0 TFSI (GTI) due to complexities the average Nigerian mechanic won't be able to handle. Go for the 1,6 petrol model, and you won't go wrong.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
Advocate sam: Mr. Sienna, in respect of a Tokunbo VW Vento I want to buy, It has a very low mileage of 56045km and from the maintenance log book of d car, I dont think there is any roll back of d mileage cos the last service was 54005km. It has a new extra tyre from d factory, d exterior is clean and d interior is super clean. My mechanic said d engine is still very okay.

Pls am confused

Mileage that low isn't the norm, but very possible. Some owners have regular access to more than one car, which means the one driven the least will have pretty low mileage for the year. As you've stated, the general condition of the car is in keeping with the mileage.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by atikubaba(m): 6:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
@siena, bros please I sent u a mail some days back.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Advocatesam(f): 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
Siena:

Mileage that low isn't the norm, but very possible. Some owners have regular access to more than one car, which means the one driven the least will have pretty low mileage for the year. As you've stated, the general condition of the car is in keeping with the mileage.

"Mileage that low isn't the norm, but very possible". Pls can you expansiate more on dat statement. Do you mean it is normal n does d low mileage (a 1996 car) has any negative effect on d engine or any other parts? Expecting ur feedback sir.
God bless u sir.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
Advocate sam: "Mileage that low isn't the norm, but very possible". Pls can you expansiate more on dat statement. Do you mean it is normal n does d low mileage (a 1996 car) has any negative effect on d engine or any other parts? Expecting ur feedback sir.
God bless u sir.

What I mean is mileage that low on a vehicle of that age is rare, but not impossible to find, and does not mean the odometer has been tampered with. It won't have any adverse effect on the engine, or the vehicle as a whole.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
atikubaba: @siena, bros please I sent u a mail some days back.

Could you please refresh my memory? So I can check my inbox.

1 Like

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by phrancys001(m): 12:04am On Feb 16, 2013
Kindly advice please,have intention of getting a golf 6 manual transmission I.6 liter engine,would want to know if it's as reliable like the older generation golf 3 ? Reply soonest please.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by atikubaba(m): 12:54am On Feb 16, 2013
Siena:

Could you please refresh my memory? So I can check my inbox.
the subject is 'engine oil concern'.thanks advance
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Advocatesam(f): 8:29am On Feb 16, 2013
Siena:

What I mean is mileage that low on a vehicle of that age is rare, but not impossible to find, and does not mean the odometer has been tampered with. It won't have any adverse effect on the engine, or the vehicle as a whole.

Mr Siena, thanks so much.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Advocatesam(f): 8:32am On Feb 16, 2013
Siena:

"It won't have any adverse effect on the engine, or the vehicle as a whole".

Gbam!!! The Volkswagen oracle has spoken, "no adverse effect".
Mr Siena, thanks so much.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Doyin4real(m): 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2013
Sienna. I drive a passat 1998, auto transmission. Lovely car with no dip stick to check the ATF level. What are the symptoms of low atf level in this car? Thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:14pm On Feb 19, 2013
Doyin4real: Sienna. I drive a passat 1998, auto transmission. Lovely car with no dip stick to check the ATF level. What are the symptoms of low atf level in this car? Thanks.

Symptoms of low ATF is hesitance between shifts, holding the revs for too long before upshifting, sometimes loss of drive altogether, especially when the ATF is hot. Similar symptoms can be had from dirty fluid too.

The ZF transmission can leak from the output flanges either side of the differential (the seals harden with age, especially the side closest to the catalyst / exhaust). You can usually tell there's a leak, as you'll smell the distinct aroma of ATF dripping onto the catalyst (more obvious on V6 models).

How does your Passat drive right now?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 19, 2013
atikubaba: the subject is 'engine oil concern'.thanks advance

My apologies for the late response, email sent.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by atikubaba(m): 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
Siena:

My apologies for the late response, email sent.
Thank u very much.I will surely let u knw if I hv any issue.thanks May God continue to increase ur knowledge.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by phrancys001(m): 2:47pm On Feb 20, 2013
Good day siena,please kindly advise about golf 5_1.6 liter engine manual drive is it as a reliable and rugged as the golf 3 ? Reply soonest.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Dinvestanl: 6:55pm On Feb 20, 2013
Siena, pls what advantage does a 1998 Golf3 16v 2.0L GTI have over a 1999 Peugeot 206 1.1L. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ikuba(m): 7:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
Oga Sienna,
Im about purchasing a 2002 Audi A4 2.0 (B6) engine from Germany. The Car has regular service from the manufacturer however the millage of the car is 190,000km. Im going to use it in Benue State Nigeria which means It is not likely There will be regular mechanics except I have to drive to Abuja (3 hours trip from Benue).
May I ask what are the major risk with an Audi with that high millage. What might be the parts most likely to pack up so I can prepare. I really love Audi's but If im not sure of their reliability for used cars its not gonna be good. I might just buy a honda or toyota im sure mechanics can fix easily. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by rabstyle: 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
Sienna, pls am using a 2000 model vw passat v6 30valves, each time its on D it takes time to change orless u rev very well but wen its on D4..it changes normal, and pls note that I change d atf as at when due.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (58) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.