Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3422) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 (2314349 Views)

R35L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ14ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3419) (3420) (3421) (3422) (3423) (3424) (3425) ... (3485) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 8:29am On Apr 02
iamoyindamola:

For the first time i have to agree with you
If you didn't attack you can't win, our wingers were to deep and the cf was feeding on scrap
So i don't understand the difference between play not to lose and played for draw
I'm surprised too
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by BlueRayDick: 8:57am On Apr 02
Spy360:

Which one is decided not to lose? Lol. Who decides to lose. grin

Arteta didn't play to win, hence he played to draw. No one plays to lose.

So what did Arteta play to do in 2020 FA cup semi final when we played the same pattern and won city 2-0?

Just take a look at the stats of both matches ; u can see that stats are very very similar. The only major difference is the fact that our attack took more shots at goal and they converted 2 while we didn't convert any in this Sunday match .

I don't think Arteta played to draw at all. Instead I think he came with a pattern to prevent city from playing and his own team making the best out of any opportunity that presents itself . It's simply cos he knows going all out against city is suicide

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:19am On Apr 02
BlueRayDick:

So what did Arteta play to do in 2020 FA cup semi final when we played the same pattern and won city 2-0?

Just take a look at the stats of both matches ; u can see that stats are very very similar. The only major difference is the fact that our attack took more shots at goal and they converted 2 while we didn't convert any in this Sunday match .

I don't think Arteta played to draw at all. Instead I think he came with a pattern to prevent city from playing and his own team making the best out of any opportunity that presents itself . It's simply cos he knows going all out against city is suicide
Not the same bro
Auba and pepe were the wingers and they never went too deep
More over we played 3 at the back with inverted full backs that form 5 or load the attack sometimes

This one saka and jesus defended with the full backs leaving only kai to roam
Sometimes odegaard join the DMs to neutralized any assault

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 9:20am On Apr 02
BlueRayDick:

Na because we no score na why they think say we play for draw.

We have the most dangerous transitions and clear cut chances to score than Man City but they feel Arteta came to draw. Even the subs will even tell someone that he didn't even come to draw at all.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by BlueRayDick: 9:39am On Apr 02
iamoyindamola:

Not the same bro
Auba and pepe were the wingers and they never went too deep
More over we played 3 at the back with inverted full backs that form 5 or load the attack sometimes

This one saka and jesus defended with the full backs leaving only kai to roam
Sometimes odegaard join the DMs to neutralized any assault

That's because we practically played 5 man defence that day . We played 3 CB's and 2 WB's. Mitland-Niles and Bellerin were practically defenders coming back to help defence so there's no need for Auba and Pepe to go beyond the half way line when defending .

Saka and Jesus on the other hand had to join our defense in this Sunday game cos city overload midfield and would've run us over if we let their combined attack and midfield run riot on our 2 CB's and 2 Full backs while Saka and Jesus are holding position.

The game is a tactical masterpiece in which Arteta came prepared with all the answers to the Pep problem

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by BlueRayDick: 9:41am On Apr 02
Jodera:
Na because we no score na why they think say we play for draw.

We have the most dangerous transitions and clear cut chances to score than Man City but they feel Arteta came to draw. Even the subs will even tell someone that he didn't even come to draw at all.

Exactly . Just look at that Trossard chance , it rattled Pep sef cos that could've been the end of the game just like Martinelli's was in the first leg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by TheLequte: 9:57am On Apr 02
E ku oriire ijeta o.

First time in approximately 9 years not to lose at the Etihad.

Better count your blessings

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:01am On Apr 02
Spy360:

Which one is decided not to lose? Lol. Who decides to lose. grin

Arteta didn't play to win, hence he played to draw. No one plays to lose.
Lol...
Playing not to lose is not a new football term na.
Arteta came to Win or at worst draw reason he deployed that pattern of ceding possession while hoping on transitions. If he came to draw, he wouldn't even put Trossard, Martinelli and Partey.

Pep came to win reason he emphasized on control.

It's a simple tactical game
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:07am On Apr 02
Spy360:

Gabriel Jesus is not a striker. Arteta does not employ a striker role in his tactical plan. His major goal outlet are the wingers. His tactical plan relies more on the wingers for goals that whoever is playing the assumed striker (false 9) role. It is for this reason a player like Nketiah is struggling for shirt despite being a better goal poacher than Gabriel Jesus. This argument is stale.
Abeggiiii.....
An attacker would see chance to score but he'll dribble unnecessarily and your defense is because he's not a striker

No wonder you said there's nothing wrong with Havertz missing that one on one against Liverpool because according to you, he's not a striker.

No be me and you go follow talk this one
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:12am On Apr 02
TheLequte:
E ku oriire ijeta o.

First time in approximately 9 years not to lose at the Etihad.

Better count your blessings
They want us to attack Etihad cos maybe it's Sheffield and Nottingham forest we're playing away. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:23am On Apr 02
Once I saw that 1st 10min, I knew that we'll naturally default to play that pattern cos Man City really pressed and counter pressed us. Not only that, they practically block off all passing lanes. I mean, look at Raya playing long balls during goalkicks, if you look well, City block of all passing lanes to prevent us from playing at the back and at such moments, it'll be very very foolish to play at the back.

Arteta always talks about "living the game" or you try and live the game mostly in his pre match and post match press.

I dunno if anyone is conversant with it but if you don't and you really want to know what it means, then you can read this article at your spare time

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://theathletic.com/4102887/2023/01/19/mikel-arteta-arsenal-living-games/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj67f7QmaOFAxWdQEEAHdMcBAAQFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3BlGD3sxL0wo6s-LvESNZE

Immediately I saw that 1st ten to 15min, I knew Man City came for blood. I just immediately know that that's how we'll play out (thereby living the game).
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by BlueRayDick: 10:29am On Apr 02
Jodera:
Once I saw that 1st 10min, I knew that we'll naturally default to play that pattern cos Man City really pressed and counter pressed us. Not only that, they practically block off all passing lanes. I mean, look at Raya playing long balls during goalkicks, if you look well, City block of all passing lanes to prevent us from playing at the back and at such moments, it'll be very very foolish to play at the back.

Arteta always talks about "living the game" or you try and live the game mostly in his pre match and post match press.

I dunno if anyone is conversant with it but if you don't and you really want to know what it means, then you can read this article at your spare time

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://theathletic.com/4102887/2023/01/19/mikel-arteta-arsenal-living-games/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj67f7QmaOFAxWdQEEAHdMcBAAQFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3BlGD3sxL0wo6s-LvESNZE

Immediately I saw that 1st ten to 15min and I knew Man City came for blood. I just immediately know that that's how we'll play out (thereby living the game).

This is why I kept refrencing how Pep choked up the midfield. He knew what he was doing and wanted to snuff life out of us from the middle to the final third.

If Raya had been trying to force play from back along with Saliba, Gabriel and Kiwior we for don collect in that 1st half sef cos City too were passive aggressive in closing us down ASAP from back.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by TheLequte: 10:31am On Apr 02
Jodera:

They want us to attack Etihad cos maybe it's Sheffield and Nottingham forest we're playing away. cheesy

Lol.

It’s a results game and people will not take any thing other than a W.

What most people don’t realize is that these managers go into games with the intent to win but also plan for a worst case scenario.

Few managers can go to the Etihad with a gung ho mindset and expect to win, especially when they’ve been severally dealt with in the past on that ground.

Even SAF go into these big clashes with a measured approach, especially when the opposition is doing great. The match would be a borefest but he manages to win 1-0 sometimes. If worse come to worse, he’ll get a draw.

Sunday’s match was similar to the first leg at the Emirates. The difference is Arsenal managed to score a goal in the other one and didn’t score at the Etihad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:38am On Apr 02
BlueRayDick:

This is why I kept refrencing how Pep choked up the midfield. He knew what he was doing and wanted to snuff life out of us from the middle to the final third.

If Raya had been trying to force play from back along with Saliba, Gabriel and Kiwior we for don collect in that 1st half sef cos City too were passive aggressive in closing us down ASAP from back.
Thank you very much.

See the way Bernardo dey useless Kiwior and Kdb and Ake were even tripling up on him and we expect GJ not to drop deep?

Even GJ hardly won any first or second ball when Ake was present. Na only when Lewis replaced him GJ started winning aerial balls. I remember when guys here during the match was saying we're losing all first and second balls. Yet they still feel we should come out and attack.

Thank you for noticing these things
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:44am On Apr 02
TheLequte:

Lol.

What most people don’t realize is that these managers go into games with the intent to win but also plan for a worst case scenario.

Few managers can go to the Etihad with a gung ho mindset and expect to win, especially when they’ve been severally dealt with in the past on that ground.

Even SAF go into these big clashes with a measured approach, especially when the opposition is doing great. The match would be a borefest but he manages to win 1-0 sometimes. If worse come to worse, he’ll get a draw.

Sunday’s match was similar to the first leg at the Emirates. The difference is Arsenal managed to score a goal in the other one and didn’t score at the Etihad.
Exactly. The only difference we even had much more possession in first leg was because our Midfield were practically better than their (No Kdb or Rodri as well as Alvarez playing Midfield which acted as a short 1).

Very few managers go with a gung ho mindset against Pep in Etihad. Not when their Midfield is complete and they've something to play for.

The bolded is exactly what I've said here earlier and even at Chelsea thread. The only difference is just the crucial decision making which Havertz did in first leg and Trossard failed to do in second leg, else both were just pure borefest. But if we'd scored, I'm sure most people wouldn't have said we came for a draw

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:48am On Apr 02
TheLe.qute:

Lol.

Spy360, this right here is what I and blueray meant when we say that Arteta planned not to lose.

If we "only" plan to win like Man City, it'll be a very open game and trust me, we won't leave there with any point.

I don try, if you no get am then cool

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Lush100(m): 10:49am On Apr 02
BlueRayDick:

Oga Pep meant arsenal on Sunday.
He said it in pre match interview tgat he will beat arsenal.

Do u know that even with our plan.
They almost succeeded.

If u came to win and your opponents are creating chances upon chances....u will be forced to defend.

But u see this Mancity game...Pep just wanted to score a goal and control the possession to the end....if we try to do anyhow ...he will unleash more goals.

We had the better chance.

Arteta did not come to draw.
He knows Pep meant arsenal on Sunday.

Arteta read it well.
Once Pep saw that he was nullified...he began to play his Mancity normal game second half
Then reverted back to his between lines game again.
Again Rodri is the one for that tactics.
For normal game KDB is the one who takes control.

Arsenal players aside coach were playing with their life depend on that game. If not we for loose.
An the referee was trying to ensure a balanced game where unnecessary calls where avoided.

Forget let's go for Bayern.

U will see ball
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by BlueRayDick: 10:51am On Apr 02
Lush100:

They almost succeeded.

If u came to win and your opponents are creating chances upon chances....u will be forced to defend.

But u see this Mancity game...Pep just wanted to score a goal and control the possession to the end....if we try to do anyhow ...he will unleash more goals.

Arteta read it well.
Once Pep saw that he was nullified...he began to play his Mancity normal game.

Arsenal players aside coach were playing with their life depend on that game. If not we for loose.
An the referee was trying to ensure a balanced game where unnecessary calls where avoided.

U will see ball

We are on the same side on this bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 10:52am On Apr 02
Lush100:

They almost succeeded.

Arteta read it well.
Once Pep saw that he was nullified...he began to play his Mancity normal game.

U will see ball

Lol...
You're quoting the wrong person sha grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by mostob(m): 12:21pm On Apr 02
So far so good, na only on this thread i don hear say Arteta planned to defend at Etihad.
I think I will drop the link to EBL2016 twitter thread here.
You don't plan to go toe-to-toe with Pep. You can not even prepare a specific tactic against him because man is unpredictable. If Arsenal had gone full attacking mode and we conceded heavily, we the fans would still be the one to criticize him for not defending.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 2:34pm On Apr 02
mostob:
So far so good, na only on this thread i don hear say Arteta planned to defend at Etihad.
You don't plan to go toe-to-toe with Pep. You can not even prepare a specific tactic against him because man is unpredictable. If Arsenal had gone full attacking mode and we conceded heavily, we the fans would still be the one to criticize him for not defending
Factos!!!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by iamoyindamola(m): 2:45pm On Apr 02
mostob:
You don't plan to go toe-to-toe with Pep. You can not even prepare a specific tactic against him because man is unpredictable. If Arsenal had gone full attacking mode and we conceded heavily, we the fans would still be the one to criticize him for not defending.
So let's call a spade a spade we played to draw simple

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by toluxe0075: 5:31pm On Apr 02
Spy360:

The way he was smiling after the game makes you know he achieved his aim. You cannot ask you wingers to defend for 75mins and still claim to plan to win.

Note that I am arguably Arteta's biggest fan here. I am being objective. He didn't plan to win. I am not against it, it's just that especially seeing how it panned out I feel we could have gone for the kill from the start.
He went for “let’s ensure we do not concede and see if we could hit them with one goal and go back to ensuring we do not concede.”
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by mostob(m): 6:12pm On Apr 02
iamoyindamola:

So let's call a spade a spade we played to draw simple
Well..it is your opinion.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by mostob(m): 6:19pm On Apr 02
https://twitter.com/EBL2017/status/1774555647524114834?t=y5qDMHARUh2Dr_tI-k0Rwg&s=19

Here is the thread on whether we played for a draw or not
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by mostob(m): 6:20pm On Apr 02
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:22pm On Apr 02
mostob:
Well..it is your opinion.
Nonaits from your post
We have never defended as we did on Sunday which is true and
We didn't attack city as we did to other teams which is also true
So which one is arteta played to win when our wingers turn defenders
I actually love the result and the play but we are being arrogant saying arteta played to win
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:26pm On Apr 02
mostob:
https://twitter.com/EBL2017/status/1774555647524114834?t=y5qDMHARUh2Dr_tI-k0Rwg&s=19

The guy said we were pegged back which mean arteta switched tactics in the first 10 minutes
In all honesty I appreciate him and his efforts I don't believe we park bus but we didn't play to win at all
See below na massive drilling and discipline to achieve this kind low blocks apari even wan kill arteta

Spot saka and jesus
Arteta na hire killer aje 🤣
E remind me of ten hag way confused klopp by pushing Anthony and Bruno to the back for the defenders to go attack

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 7:42pm On Apr 02
Jodera:

Spy360, this right here is what I and blueray meant when we say that Arteta planned not to lose.

If we "only" plan to win like Man City, it'll be a very open game and trust me, we won't leave there with any point.

Whenever you start depending on other people's opinion to 'buttress' an explanation then you know you have no point.

Once again, I advice you not to mention the bolded again in any forum. It sounds silly because it is taken for granted. No one would have done otherwise.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Shegzdave: 7:56pm On Apr 02
I wouldn’t say Arteta initially plan was to sit back but the first 10-15 mins allowed him changed tactics
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 7:56pm On Apr 02
Jodera:

Not necessarily true in my opinion and here is why.

A plan to win doesn't mean you must play open expansive football because it is not the only way to win a game, irrespective of what may be deemed your typical style. Arteta did not plan to lose but he also had a chance to win and at different times, especially during the 2nd he went for it while being cautious.

He pretty much timed his attack and at different times, especially after bringing in Partey/ Trossard, he saw windows to win and went for it; problem was, we either made bad decisions in the final 3rd, were indecisive or did not get the desired result. He knew there was a chance to steal all 3 points despite playing defensive.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading arguments from both sides I should add.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Jodera: 7:58pm On Apr 02
mostob:

Exactly what I read few hours ago.

What the guy said here was exactly what I've been saying in bits

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3419) (3420) (3421) (3422) (3423) (3424) (3425) ... (3485) (Reply)

Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.