Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) (25463 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obasanjo Pushing HID Awolowo On Wheel-Chair (Picture) / Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:00am On Nov 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Is there anyone who can have beef with his remarks?

Also, what is the deal with this bank looting by Biafra?

How can they do that then turn around and be angry at anyone else for changing money? Or not accepting the currency they printed as good??

Anyway, very interesting article.

So the food aid that was sent by internationals and meant for civilians was stolen by the army.

All those starvation victims were victims of their own side  embarassed

go and ask murtala mohammed and his nigerian army that looted banks in asaba, how can biafra loot its own banks in the east does that make sense to you? abi na bank for lagos they loot.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:02am On Nov 28, 2011
its unfortunate that all these trash have to come from yoruba people, one will think igbos should be arguing with the hausa and fulanis but its not the case here. really unfortunate
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:03am On Nov 28, 2011
There is no record anywhere that Biafra looted its own bank. That was impossible because Ojukwu was firmly in control and the soldiers were disciplined and motivated. I dare anyone to show proof (not Awo's own interview) that banks were looted in Biafra by Biafrans. Again, another Awo lies punctured.

To a large extent Obasanjo and Adekunle were on ground and should have known if banks were looted in Biafra by Biafrans. Did they say that too?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Awo himself justified the blockade because according to him, soldiers were hijacking food for themselves. Ask yourself, don't those soldiers have families/friends? Do you think they hijack (if true) food to feed just themselves knowing that their children, wives, mothers and fathers and friends are starving? Is there any possibility that the hijacked food trickled down to as many innocent civilians as possible? Awo may claim whatever in this article, but you need to hear from the other side as well. Awo does not have the complete answer to the situation. He was not on ground in Biafra. One or two visits to few places could not have told the story.

It was obvious Biafran soldiers were well fed, without without any hint of starvation. Ojukwu himself looked robust, so much for "fighting to keep my people alive". While he and his soldiers ate, women and children were dying of hunger.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:06am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

It was obvious Biafran soldiers were well fed, without without any hint of starvation. Ojukwu himself looked robust, so much for "fighting to keep my people alive". While he and his soldiers ate, women and children were dying of hunger.

Which of the soldiers were well fed? The ones we see on youtube?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by 9javoice1(m): 5:07am On Nov 28, 2011
He claim that biafran soldiers was well fed?
was that true,my father was one of the biafran soldiers,
he will tell you other wise,cus he got first hand expirience not lying junk.
did war touch all eastern nigeria, "no" so hos do u espect pple from those area hat do not see war to suffer kwas.
why is he denying this by the way. saying sorry is better than denying.now i can see y igbos refuse to forgive him.

he claim that property belonging to igbos in the west was returned as soon as they present a prove documents.
prior b4 the war,my dad was living in the building of our kins man there in lagos. they return to lagos after the war
his house has been taking by a yoruba man,even with all his complete documents to claim it back in court was rejected.

later they threat him to der it again. the man in questio are still alive,he said it himself that they are so many igbos
with same problem as his in lagos. i never know there are abandon properties saga in lagos,just here it from
the man b4 my father comfirms it.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

There is no record anywhere that Biafra looted its own bank. That was impossible because Ojukwu was firmly in control and the soldiers were disciplined and motivated. I dare anyone to show proof (not Awo's own interview) that banks were looted in Biafra by Biafrans. Again, another Awo lies punctured.

To a large extent Obasanjo and Adekunle were on ground and  should have known if banks were looted in Biafra by Biafrans. Did they say that too?

What happened to the Nigerian money in the East after the war started? Burnt?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by ektbear: 5:10am On Nov 28, 2011
Awo's earlier comment is a good one.

Honestly, you cannot spend too much time try to justify your actions to those who will hate you regardless.

Better to ignore 'em and keep it moving.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Which of the soldiers were well fed? The ones we see on youtube?

Well, I have never seen any picture of a scrawny looking Biafran soldier yet, or one with a distended belly. All of them looked well fed while babies were dying of hunger!!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:11am On Nov 28, 2011
My own grandmother told us that his son  (my mother's elder brother) who was then a biafran conscript brought home food as regularly as he could that were used to feed the few people in their village who did not run to other places for shelter. That stopped after the blockade by Awo.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:12am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

changed to foreing currency , used as logistics and establishing a new biafran currency and banking system , now what happened to biafrans money in the west and northern banks ? why did they not get back their money or were the banks there looted too
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by 9javoice1(m): 5:13am On Nov 28, 2011
Awolowo interview claims that all the eastern nigerian last statements of account was lost or burnt?
did he think we are stupid? how come no body ever has his statement of account?
if he is talking about banks last statement of account,how about igbos that have accounts in lagos kaduna and kano?
why they didn't give them their money?

i see clearly what he is trying to do, he is trying to vindicate himself thereby lying in an issue like this.

he said that igbo's will later know who there true enemies are?
pls awolowo since u know it and your pple says you are a realist,can you pls tell the igbos whom there enemy are?

am not your enemy, they are.  " who are the they? "
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:14am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

They were waging a war and war is not fought without money. There was no way Biafra burnt money they would instead have used for ammunition/food/fuel and all that. I dare anyone to show evidence of money burning in Biafra by Biafrans.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:14am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

Well, I have never seen any picture of a scrawny looking Biafran soldier yet, or one with a distended belly.

you obviously know nothing about the war to think biafran soldiers were well fed, our fathers are those sodiers your talking about so stop arguing what you know nothing about,.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:16am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

changed to foreing currency , used as logistics and establishing a new biafran currency and banking system , now what happened to biafrans money in the west and northern banks ? why did they not get back their money or were the banks there looted too

Did Biafra give back any of this money? The answer is obviously no. So Nigerian banks in the East were indeed looted.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:17am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

Did Biafra give back any of this money? The answer is obviously no. So Nigerian banks in the East were indeed looted.

You mean they should give back spent money -spent in the course of the war? I believe you can reason better.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:18am On Nov 28, 2011
9ja voice:

Awolowo interview claims that all the eastern nigerian last statements of account was lost or burnt?
did he think we are silly? how come no body ever has his statement of account?
if he is talking about banks last statement of account,how about igbos that have accounts in lagos kaduna and kano?
why they didn't give them their money?

i see clearly what he is trying to do, he is trying to vindicate himself thereby lying in an issue like this.

he said that igbo's will later know who there true enemies are?
pls awolowo since u know it and your pple says you are a realist,can you pls tell the igbos whom there enemy are?

am not your enemy, they are.  " who are the they? "

you dey mind am , he knows the real enemies of igbo people according to him yet he helped them accomplish their mission against biafra
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Foreign press people were embedded with the Biafran soldiers and would easily have reported looting by Biafran soldiers, even if after the war. The only looting that was reported was that by the Nigerian soldiers in Benin. Am waiting for Awo's independent evidence of bank looting by Biafran soldiers.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

You mean they should give back spent money -spent in the course of the war? I believe you can reason better.

The question is whether or not Biafra looted Nigerian Banks in the East.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 5:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Awo himself justified the blockade because according to him, soldiers were hijacking food for themselves. Ask yourself, don't those soldiers have families/friends? Do you think they hijack (if true) food to feed just themselves knowing that their children, wives, mothers and fathers and friends are starving? Is there any possibility that the hijacked food trickled down to as many innocent civilians as possible? Awo may claim whatever in this article, but you need to hear from the other side as well. Awo does not have the complete answer to the situation. He was not on ground in Biafra. One or two visits to few places could not have told the story.

1.It's absolutely irrelevant what claims you spew about Awolowo because Awolowo was not responsible for biafra, ojukwu was

2. It's on record that Ojukwu and the man responsible for the people of biafra denied food to the people of biafra

3. It was foolish to go to war and end up depending on your enemy for food to feed your people and and your soldiers

Please stop the pointless argument, Awolowo didn't own you anything, Ojukwu owed you and he sold you out.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

your a dummy so a country looted itself according to your logic yet it had  its own banking sysytem anyway we are talking about individuals that had money and savings in banks in north and west , what happened to their money? ode
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:24am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

1.It's absolutely irrelevant what claims you spew about Awolowo because Awolowo was not responsible for biafra, ojukqu was

2. It's on record that Ojukwu and the man responsible for the people of biafra denied food to the people of biafra

3. It was foolish to go to war and end up depending on your enemy for food to feed your people and and your soldiers

Please stop the pointless argument, Awolowo didn't own you anything, Ojukwu owed you and he sold you out.

Awo does not owe Biafra, so what was he fighting for. Why fight to recover what you owe nothing to? Do you make sense? Igbos did not need Awo's food. What they needed was to be left alone to chart their destiny. Now 41 years later, that same destiny denied them by Gowon and Awo is being asked for by Tinubu and all those asking for sovereign national conference. What did Awo fight for, if I may ask?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:25am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

1.It's absolutely irrelevant what claims you spew about Awolowo because Awolowo was not responsible for biafra, ojukqu was

nobody expected anybody to feed anybody, nigerian uptill today cannot feed its people , especailly north and yoruba land .
biafra had its own food but farms were destroyed by egyptian planes added to the blockades in the coast of biafra ,bombing of red cross , food stores etc even at that we still flew in foods plus local production , una never feed urself na to feed others.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:27am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

your a dummy so a country looted itself according to your logic yet it had  its own banking sysytem anyway we are talking about individuals that had money and savings in banks in north and west , what happened to their money? ode

You are the dummy here my friend, this is probably too complicated for your little brain. Biafra ceased to be part of Nigeria the moment secession was declared.
But secession did not gaurantee everything in Biafra belonged to Biafrans. Olodo
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:29am On Nov 28, 2011
Just wondering:

Is there any non-Awo evidence that Nigeria sent food to Biafra? I would like to read this. I know a lot of foreign agencies did. I did not know that Nigeria also did, as claimed by Awo. Can anyone corroborate this?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:31am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

You are the dummy here my friend, this is probably too complicated for your little brain. Biafra ceased to be part of Nigeria the moment secession was declared.
But secession did not gaurantee everything in Biafra belonged to Biafrans. Olodo

How would things Biafra belong to Nigeria and not Biafra? Care to explain? Are there any things we do not know of that were established in Biafra by Nigeria that were not done with money from Biafran (Eastern Nigerian) resources?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:32am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

i ask you again what happened to the savings of biafran civilians in the south westerns and northern banks since we all know nobody burned down or looted those ones(assuming biafrans looted biafra according to your myopic reasoning)
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 5:33am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Awo does not owe Biafra, so what was he fighting for. Why fight to recover what you owe nothing to? Do you make sense? Igbos did not need Awo's food. What they needed was to be left alone to chart their destiny. Now 41 years later, that same destiny denied them by Gowon and Awo is being asked for by Tinubu and all those asking for sovereign national conference. What did Awo fight for, if I may ask?

Dude, we are talking about a freeking war. Awolow was on the other side, not on your side and he had no obligation to feed you, ojukwu too you to war, he declared his biafra state and you were under him and the biafra flag, not Nigerian flag.

You anger is misplaced, take your case to ojukwu. He not only failed to feed and protect you, he denied you food and that's a fact.

All your Awolow rubbish means nothing, it's even ridiculous entertaining such nonsense.

You people are acting as if WAR is some kind of tales by the moonlight gig. Very simple and naive people.

Isn't it moronic to be whining that your enemy didn't feed you and your army? Food is a matter of national security and your war leader should have formulated a safe and secure source of food that has nothing to do with your enemy.

Your war leaders not only goof, they deny you food, that was criminal and unconscionable.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 5:35am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

How would things Biafra belong to Nigeria and not Biafra? Care to explain? Are there any things we do not know of that were established in Biafra by Nigeria that were not done with money from Biafran (Eastern Nigerian) resources?

The whole of Biafra actually belonged to Nigeria, that was the reason of going to war in the first place.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:36am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

Dude, we are talking about a freeking war. Awolow was on the other side, not on your side and he had no obligation to feed you, ojukwu too you to war, he declared his biafra state and you were under him and the biafra flag, not Nigerian flag.

You anger is misplaced, take your case to ojukwu. He not only failed to feed and protect you, he denied you food and that's a fact.

All your Awolow rubbish means nothing, it's even ridiculous entertaining such nonsense.

You people are acting as if WAR is some kind of tales by the moonlight gig. Very simple and naive people.

Isn't it moronic to be whining that your enemy didn't feed you and your army? Food is a matter of national security and your war leader should have formulated a safe and secure source of food that has nothing to do with your enemy.

Your war leaders not only goof, they deny you food, that was criminal and unconscionable.

Quit the ranting. Awo never fed Biafra. His wickedness would not allow him. He has told barefaced lies. I dare you or anyone to show where Nigeria fed Biafrans during the war.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 5:37am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Just wondering:

Is there any non-Awo evidence that Nigeria sent food to Biafra? I would like to read this. I know a lot of foreign agencies did. I did not know that Nigeria also did, as claimed by Awo. Can anyone corroborate this?

nigeria could not feed it own people cause the resources from eastern region were cut off(  talkless of sending food to biafra they had to obtain loan from imf to feed their own starving population ,howerver the few foods from international organisation meant for biafra but to pass through nigeria was rejected by biafra as they were reported cases of nigerian poisoning those foods especially baby foods.food poisoning as of that time was another weapon of war popular in africa.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 5:39am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

The whole of Biafra actually belonged to Nigeria, that was the reason of going to war in the first place.

Of course that was the reason for going to war. By implication of your logic then, Nigerians who happened to be Biafrans used Nigerian money (generated and maintained in their own part of Nigeria) to solve their pressing problem - survival from an enemy - and you want them to refund such money?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sule Lamido’s Boycott Of Jonathan’s Campaign Worries Presidency / NSCDC Discovers ‘”Spiritual Book” Used By Boko Haram For Indoctrination / 16 Senators Accompany Saraki To The Code Of Conduct Tribunal (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.