Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,909 members, 7,848,669 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:26 AM

His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo (943 Views)

James Ocholi's Son Last Instagram Post Before His Death(photo) / Audu Vomited Blood Before His Death - Daily Post / Mass Revolt Looms In Nigeria, Obasanjo Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo by aloyemeka1: 9:32pm On Nov 28, 2011
[size=14pt]Ojukwu’s death marks the end of an era in Nigeria – Obasanjo[/size]
on NOVEMBER 28, 2011 · in NEWS

Abuja – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has expressed sadness at the death of Ikemba Nnewi Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

“It is with deep sadness that I received the news of the demise of my friend and colleague.

“He and I were subalterns in the army at Nigeria’s independence in 1960.

“In a way, his death marks the end of an era in Nigeria.

Obasanjo also reminisced over discussions he had with Ojukwu before the latter’s demise.

In an interview in London, Obasanjo recalled particularly that at several times, he discussed the possibility of an expression of remorse from Ojukwu “on the Nigerian civil war which in itself was a culmination of actions and reactions’’.

“I condole with his family and pray for the repose of his soul.’’

Odumegwu Ojukwu died in a London hospital last Saturday at the age of 78. He was born on Nov. 4, 1933 in Zungeru, Niger State.

Ojukwu served in the Nigerian Army alongside Obasanjo until the civil war of 1967 to 1970 put them on different sides of the divide.

In his struggle to preserve the independence of the then Eastern Region where he was military governor, Ojukwu declared a sovereign Republic of Biafra also in a secessionist bid to carve the then Eastern Region as a separate entity from Nigeria.

In the declaration and during his public address to the people of Biafra, he said: “Having mandated me to proclaim on your behalf, and in your name, that Eastern Nigeria be a sovereign independent republic, now, therefore I, Lt.-Col. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters, shall, henceforth, be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of The Republic of Biafra.’’

On July 6, 1967, the then military Head of State, Col. Yakubu Gowon declared war and attacked Biafra in a bid to stop Ojukwu’s secessionist attempt.

The war which ensued lasted for 30 months as the Nigerian side insisted that the country would not be polarised.

The war ended in January 15, 1970, after the then Lt.-Col. Phillip Effiong, leading the Biafran side, surrendered to Obasanjo.

Before the surrender, Ojukwu had gone on exile in Cote d’Ivoire. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ojukwus-death-marks-the-end-of-an-era-in-nigeria-obasanjo/
Re: His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo by aloyemeka1: 9:33pm On Nov 28, 2011

From Ibukun Philips

Remorse, from Ojukwu? When everything seems to point to the fact that he was right?  How do you justify not letting the South east go and still continue to subject them to pogroms? I think the eulogies are pouring in because most people have come to realize he far from the war villain he was ascribed and more of a persecuted prophet.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ojukwus-death-marks-the-end-of-an-era-in-nigeria-obasanjo/

You are right on the money.
Re: His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo by Aringarosa(m): 9:46pm On Nov 28, 2011
Nigeria is a Nation of hypocrites and challatans. The Nations problem is not that we can not find a leader of Mandela or Ghandi quality , it is that we recognize the good quality in our leaders only when they're dead . For the records , here's what Ojukwu said when Chief Obafemi Awolowo died, quote him " We've lost a president we never had " Anyone who was alive during the political life of Awolowo should look back at what his State , the Western region of Nigeria was among the rest of 2 other Regions . That was the only state that run like a Nation with a view and a dream . When he could not be allowed to give the Nation his dream for Nigeria.

The West was the only Region that had absolute FREE EDUCATION UP TO THIRD YEAR HIGH SCHOOL, UNEMPLOYMENT AMONG THE POPULATION WHICH INCLUDED THE THEN WESTERN REGION. FARMING POLICY THAT KEPT FOOD PRODUCTION AT OPTIMUM TO FEED THE GROWING POPULATION,AWOLOWO GAVE THE POPULATION OF HIS REGION MASS MEDIA WHICH INCLUDED INTALLATION OF REDIFUSION IN MARKET SHEDS FREE. Even the Northern Region which had always been the sick child of Nigeria and the Country's parasite, could not match the quality of leadership in Awolowo's Region .

They all saw it , they all knew it was doable but instead they , including Nnamdi Azikwe did not give Obafemi the chance to give Nigeria the chance that big take off. Ojukwu saw the quality in Awolowo's leadership only when he died as tribalism was played to the point it became the reductionist cloak to shield corruption and mediocrity in a nation with everything nature had endowed.

It is in the same spirit that Buhari now sees Ojukwu's reason to take Ibos out of Nigeria and in the civil war that almost decemented that group in a pogrom that excluded Camera and view of from the world community. Unfrtunately , the very reason and cause of the civil war is now too obvious to all Nigerians and the world to see .
Re: His Death Marks The End Of An Era In Nigeria – Obasanjo by aloyemeka1: 10:10pm On Nov 28, 2011
Aringarosa:

Nigeria is a Nation of hypocrites and challatans. The Nations problem is not that we can not find a leader of Mandela or Ghandi quality , it is that we recognize the good quality in our leaders only when they're dead . For the records , here's what Ojukwu said when Chief Obafemi Awolowo died, quote him " We've lost a president we never had " Anyone who was alive during the political life of Awolowo should look back at what his State , the Western region of Nigeria was among the rest of 2 other Regions . That was the only state that run like a Nation with a view and a dream . When he could not be allowed to give the Nation his dream for Nigeria.

The West was the only Region that had absolute FREE EDUCATION UP TO THIRD YEAR HIGH SCHOOL, UNEMPLOYMENT AMONG THE POPULATION WHICH INCLUDED THE THEN WESTERN REGION. FARMING POLICY THAT KEPT FOOD PRODUCTION AT OPTIMUM TO FEED THE GROWING POPULATION,AWOLOWO GAVE THE POPULATION OF HIS REGION MASS MEDIA WHICH INCLUDED INTALLATION OF REDIFUSION IN MARKET SHEDS FREE. Even the Northern Region which had always been the sick child of Nigeria and the Country's parasite, could not match the quality of leadership in Awolowo's Region .

They all saw it , they all knew it was doable but instead they , including Nnamdi Azikwe did not give Obafemi the chance to give Nigeria the chance that big take off.  Ojukwu saw the quality in Awolowo's leadership only when he died as tribalism was played to the point it became the reductionist cloak to shield corruption and mediocrity in a nation with everything nature had endowed.

It is in the same spirit that Buhari now sees Ojukwu's reason to take Ibos out of Nigeria and in the civil war that almost decemented that group in a pogrom that excluded Camera and view of from the world community. Unfrtunately , the very reason and cause of the civil war is now too obvious to all Nigerians and the world to see .

Instead of picking our tooth and reminiscing on the past, why not think future on what is the solution to this problem called Nigeria today. I don't know about you but I am tired of the marriage with the North and only if they can approve my divorce from them, I will be happy.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Mock Presidential Elections / Elrufai To Kano Governor Kwankwaso "jonathan Is Not Your Friend" / New York Times Opinion: Another Jaundiced View About Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.