Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments (5421 Views)

Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu And Wife Blasted By Trolls [PICS] / Nigeria Protests Over Biafra Activist's Arrest - BBC / CNN Breaking News:Tension in South East over Biafra agitation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by Afam4eva(m): 8:12pm On Nov 30, 2011
Gowon will put himself in trouble with his mouth that runs like the tap that was commisioned by Orji Uzor Kalu in 2002. He should just shut his face and sit on his hand tlike he has been doing watching his Jos go up in ruins. If not that Igbos are peace loving people, names like "Gowon" would have been heard when he's remembrance speech is being heard. he who has ear, let him hear.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by HRHGambino(m): 8:54am On Dec 04, 2011
@dayokanu, what sort of prayer is this? "God Bless Benjamin BABAMAJA ADEKUNLE wherever he is for wrecking havoc on the Biafran heartlands" Have you heard from Benjamin Adekunle (black scorpion) of late? Have you seen how he has been conveniently neglected by the same Nigerian Army he killed his fellow compatriots for just to represent their interests? Do you have igbo friends? Can you say this where they are? Well all that is by the way.

Of course everyone here by now knows Ojukwu didn't just wake up one morning and declared an independent state of Biafra or that he even did so after the Aburi meeting as has been said by misinformed people. Ojukwu declared Biafra 4 months after Gowon reneged on everything that was agreed on in the Aburi accord on the advise of Awolowo and some other permanent secretaries at the time for purely political reasons because if you go through that accord carefully, you'd see that everything in it is what we all as Nigerians clamour for today.

Moreover its funny when I hear stuff like Ojukwu played on the intelligence of other delegates at Aburi. The eastern delegation at that meeting was only about a quarter of the total people present at the meeting and everyone there gave their submissions based on what they felt was good for the country at the time, so where does this notion of Ojukwu fooling anyone or igbo vs yoruba thing come up? Infact there is no part of that accord that left the operations of the upstream sector in the hands of any regional governor, eastern or whatever. Gowon reneged on that accord for purely political reasons.

The igbos were crippled financially and economically following Gowon's action. Their safety wasn't guaranteed anywhere in the country. Thousands of easterners had and were still dying as a result of Gowon's inefficiency and then you expect for them to just cross their legs and look on without doing anything? Ojukwu declared war following the decision taken by the parliament of the then eastern region based on all these reasons because Gowon was trying to force them into living in a country that didn't protect their interests at all. Igbos died in thousands during that war but hear me when I say this NOT ONE IGBO MAN living at the time felt they made a mistake by embarking on that war and whether you like it or not, unless a Sovereign National Conference is convened today, we would still keep on having these problems we face as a people. We can't be fooling ourselves that we are one in this country when only just a few months back innocent corpers of southern origin who thought they were serving their country were brutally murdered in the north for no reason at all. Boko Haram is busy causing terror wherever they feel they can because they want an islamic state. Niger deltans cry out neglect despite the fact that 80% - 90% of this country's foreign exchange comes from that region. We just can't continue like this!
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by CyberG: 9:52am On Dec 04, 2011
^^^ I know it hurts badly when you have no valid points to present so you can only LIE about Awolowo when you were NOT witness? Did you see how people are convincing everyone here that Ojukwu ate some poison or was killed by AIDS? While I know this is just awful stuff and people who have passed on should be left alone, posts like yours is what further destroys the moral fabric of otherwise non-tribal NLanders. Give up tribalism before it destroys your soul.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by queensmith: 9:52am On Dec 04, 2011
T8ksy:

Ojukwu didn't turn his face away whilst his people were been butchered in the north rather he sent

them back to the same north knowing fully well, he cannot vouch for their safety. After which, he led them into a badly-

planned, ill-managed and shambolic war that cost more miseries to his people ONLY for him to "turn his face away" and

ran off (like a thief in the night) to a safe haven leaving his people to their fate.

Ojukwu fought for what he believed in and sent many of his people and others to an early grave BUT he wasn't prepared

to die for his beliefs and the millions who have died responding to his clarion call.

I sure would like to know how the cold-hearted mothaph.ocker sleeps at night.

Probably explains why he couldn't get it up for his whorish young wife and have to rely on his blood relative to do the biz

on his behalf.

Atuntuku e lono orun.

Cowards (like the ikemba) surely dies many times before their eventual demise.

God is going to bless you for this;
you put down my stance on the Biafran War.
After reading random journals and various ethnically biased opinios on the war, especially listening to friends and relatives from the south. I came to my own conclusion that the war most likely began due to greed and that arrogance is never a way to solve community situations.
No1 its not an unknown fact the igbos only decided they were regionally of any sort of value after the sudden oil discovery. Just like the killings by the criminal coups in 66 it was a matter of trying to assert your dominace. Like animals scrambling to become the King of the Kingdom.
I understood all that was written in the journals written by Effiong. I do not support or belive in war, it never solves anything and just serves as a playground for the coldhearted and blood thirsty (obama) to play games with real lives. However I must mention, all that was mentioned in the journals describes the situatiuon during the war and  thereby clearly not justifying the cause. Its simply consequence, fine they were beaten starved and brutally mistreated but thats not the reason you started war? We know very well those that were for the biafran war could not care less about the biafran people and were simply protecting monetary interests (oil) with the bristish simply trying to enslave the world like they always do.
I still dont see how Ojukwu ever thought he will win? War was definitely not the way out, and in the end he fled! like a goat! why people continue to praise him is absolutely beyond me! He lead people to thier death traps!
Unfortunately Nigerians will always blindly follow ethnic loyalties instead of logical and analytical thinking and this is what is destroying the country (example the he goat we call president).(the baboon we used to call president)
I do understand igbos thinking this man was a hero; but its the wrong thought, his legacies died way before he did, massacre and war continues in the country, Gowon had the last laugh and where are we today in terms of ethnic solidarity? People need to pull this ethnic cotton wool out of thier eyes and see plain sense!

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by HRHGambino(m): 11:50am On Dec 04, 2011
@queensmith firstly you are just a very big fool for calling Ojukwu a goat about something you know little or nothing about. Ojukwu was stupid and yet the FG wants to immortalize him? The Senate held a special session honouring him? Britian apologised on their role in the war 3 years ago? The senate decided for the NAF to accord him the fullest respect any high ranking military officer would be accorded cos current security challenges in the country may compromise a state burial? Buhari referred to him as a legend? Gowon says that Ojukwu and Ndigbo were justified on their reasons for going to the war? If you do not know much then go and ask the right people questions or research before you blab. The choice of that war wasn't Ojukwu's decision as has been restated by Biafran war veterans. He declared that war following the advice of top igbo military officers, the eastern region parliament and even the eastern region in its entirety. You think its fair when displaced 2million easterners return back to the east with nothing and then Gowon refuses to pay those in the civil service until march of 1967 as was agreed in Aburi? You think its fair that no displaced easterner could return back to any region in this country to reclaim their properties cos of fear of their lives and Gowon with his ministry of finance also refusing to act on this as was stated in the Aburi accord? My grandfather recalls that when the pogroms in the north started he was a civil servant at the time with P&T but he had to flee away from his office through the window leaving everything he had worked for, for fear of his life. What exactly did you want the 'igbo man' to do? I hope you know that Aburi conference couldn't hold in Nigeria because no igbo man was guaranteed of his safety outside the eastern region. The war may have been too hasty but all igbos agreed on it and that's why the igbo people revere ojukwu as a true and a courageous leader till tomorrow. So please watch your utterances and show some respect. The war was our decision, and the casualties ours as well. We are not complaining so you have no right to.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by sheyguy: 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2011
The SNC has always been the idea/request of the westerners, it was a westerner who suggested the aburi idea and its location(Aburi instead of Tanzania) to Ojukwu. Its funny when pple keep saying it was Ojukwu'S idea and that the yorubas r regretting OneNigeria.
Everybody is regretting it in equal measure except the blood-hungary almajiris.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by emmke(m): 1:39pm On Dec 04, 2011
Nchara:

What a logic. So it is about kill me, I kill you? In any case, there are 40 million +/- Hausa Fulani and there are 1 million +/- Beroms. Let's see whose population gets wiped out at the end of the slow but steady killings going one. Shame on Gowon under whose watch his people are being decimated by the same masters he served. In the end, the hausa/fulani will likely win the Jos war because it is a matter of number. Fortunately for them, you are not more sophisticated than they are in terms of weaponry and bombs. I dey laugh ohh!!
funny. So the 40 million hausas in nigeria will invade plateau? And who told u there are 1 million plateau people? Seriously i'd start taking what i read here as a joke. In any case stop taking paracetamol for another man's headache. U have u own worries too. I Just read a sad story about 2 9-day old babies kidnapped in imo. Just one reason why papa mikel will tell u he is safer here, lol. And oga it will suprise u to know that we are not losing, just the reason why your igbo brothers are still hanging around. My land, Plateau, is more than worth dying for. Ask your igbo brothers how it is. Beautiful beautiful wink
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 1:52pm On Dec 04, 2011
queensmith:

After reading random journals and various ethnically biased opinios on the war, especially listening to friends and relatives from the south. I came to my own conclusion that the [size=15pt]war most likely began due to greed and that arrogance is never a way to solve community[/size] situations.
No1 its not an unknown fact the igbos only decided they were regionally of any sort of value after the sudden oil discovery. Just like the killings by the criminal coups in 66 [size=16pt]it was a matter of trying to assert your dominace. Like animals scrambling to become the King of the Kingdom.[/size]
I understood all that was written in the journals written by Effiong. I do not support or belive in war, it never solves anything and just serves as a playground for the coldhearted and blood thirsty (obama) to play games with real lives. However I must mention, all that was mentioned in the journals describes the situatiuon during the war and  thereby clearly not justifying the cause. Its simply consequence, fine they were beaten starved and brutally mistreated but thats not the reason you started war? We know very well those that were for the[b] biafran war could not care less about the biafran people and were simply protecting monetary interests (oil) with the bristish simply trying to enslave the world like they always do.[/b]
I still dont see how Ojukwu ever thought he will win? War was definitely not the way out, and in the end he fled! like a goat! [/b]why people continue to praise him is absolutely beyond me! He lead people to thier death traps!
[b]Unfortunately Nigerians will always blindly follow ethnic loyalties instead of logical and analytical thinking and this is what is destroying the country
(example the he goat we call president).(the baboon we used to call president)
I do understand igbos thinking this man was a hero; but its the wrong thought, his legacies died way before he did, massacre and war continues in the country, Gowon had the last laugh and where are we today in terms of ethnic solidarity? People need to pull this ethnic cotton wool out of thier eyes and see plain sense!

God Bless you for this. Only if people can read and understand

You are one of the few that understand The baifra war. It was greed, and an arrogance filled war that caused 3 million lives to be lost.

Ojukwu should ask himself why he took the non-baifra igbo area along with baifra

He should also ask why he wanted to annex Lagos, ogun and Ondo to baifra

Why did he invade the mid-west and kill Millions of Itsekiri, Bini, Esan, Usan, Urhobo, etc unless he knew of the presence of the oil there.

Why did he not jut go with the Igbo speaking areas ?

smh, so much for heroism
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by Relax101(m): 3:14pm On Dec 04, 2011
alj_harem:

God Bless you for this. Only if people can read and understand

You are one of the few that understand The baifra war. It was greed, and an arrogance filled war that caused 3 million lives to be lost.

Ojukwu should ask himself why he took the non-baifra igbo area along with baifra

He should also ask why he wanted to annex Lagos, ogun and Ondo to baifra

Why did he invade the mid-west and kill Millions of Itsekiri, Bini, Esan, Usan, Urhobo, etc unless he knew of the presence of the oil there.

Why did he not jut go with the Igbo speaking areas ?

smh, so much for heroism

You be one heediiot and will always be one regardless of what you think about yourself.
your lies stinks to hell, you born troway mumu.

queensmith:

After reading random journals and various ethnically biased opinios on the war, especially listening to friends and relatives from the south. I came to my own conclusion that the war most likely began due to greed and that arrogance is never a way to solve community situations.
No1 its not an unknown fact the igbos only decided they were regionally of any sort of value after the sudden oil discovery. Just like the killings by the criminal coups in 66 it was a matter of trying to assert your dominace. Like animals scrambling to become the King of the Kingdom.
I understood all that was written in the journals written by Effiong. I do not support or belive in war, it never solves anything and just serves as a playground for the coldhearted and blood thirsty (obama) to play games with real lives. However I must mention, all that was mentioned in the journals describes the situatiuon during the war and  thereby clearly not justifying the cause. Its simply consequence, fine they were beaten starved and brutally mistreated but thats not the reason you started war? We know very well those that were for the biafran war could not care less about the biafran people and were simply protecting monetary interests (oil) with the bristish simply trying to enslave the world like they always do.
I still dont see how Ojukwu ever thought he will win? War was definitely not the way out, and in the end he fled! like a goat! why people continue to praise him is absolutely beyond me! He lead people to thier death traps!
Unfortunately Nigerians will always blindly follow ethnic loyalties instead of logical and analytical thinking and this is what is destroying the country (example the he goat we call president).(the baboon we used to call president)

lol
FYI, Gowon will regret all the days of his life.
Two, I wish your people will get massacred and I will wait to see your reaction.
I hope you loose your property and I will also love to see your reaction.
You are just as ignorant as the next mumu poster.
How can you see injustice and as a leader you allow it persist.
Ojukwu would have joined the group of thieves if He wanted to. He had the power and the will to but He obeyed his conscience to do the right
thing. He forfeited all the good things of life to protect his and all you could come up with is absolute trash.
I will put you in same group of one of those people who fail and turn away when injustice stares you right in the face.
You could also join the thieves to steal and devour your household.
Ojukwu never in his life stole anything from anyone but gave his all to defend and demand justice.
I dont expect any sensible talk from you anyways.
You have a dark and wicked soul.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by emmke(m): 3:19pm On Dec 04, 2011
^what exactly will Gowon regret all his life?
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by kasiem(m): 3:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
For those castigating ojukwu. Okay, i'm just curious to know what u guys would've done if u were in ojukwu's shoe.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by ak47mann(m): 3:24pm On Dec 04, 2011
Relax101:

You be one heediiot and will always be one regardless of what you think about yourself.
your lies stinks to hell, you born troway mumu.

lol
FYI, Gowon will regret all the days of his life.
Two, I wish your people will get massacred and I will wait to see your reaction.
I hope you loose your property and I will also love to see your reaction.
You are just as ignorant as the next mumu poster.
How can you see injustice and as a leader you allow it persist.
Ojukwu would have joined the group of thieves if He wanted to. He had the power and the will to but He obeyed his conscience to do the right
thing. He forfeited all the good things of life to protect his and all you could come up with is absolute trash.
I will put you in same group of one of those people who fail and turn away when injustice stares you right in the face.
You could also join the thieves to steal and devour your household.
Ojukwu never in his life stole anything from anyone but gave his all to defend and demand justice.
I dont expect any sensible talk from you anyways.
You have a dark and wicked soul.

thank for hitting the point there, the thing is that they still look for blame on igbos,but  getting their pay back slowly but surely  cool this people are the product of wickedness and hate they will end miserably.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aribisala0(m): 3:38pm On Dec 04, 2011
exactly the same thing you do when your neighbour whom you know come to your house and points a gun at your head and demands your wallet
trying to impress your wife and children with machismo will only get you ALL killed.
there is a difference between bravery and recklessnes,between pragmatism and cowardice some will NEVER learn that.
the military adventure was no less imprudent than blacks trying to win freedom in apartheid south africa by force.
there were alternatives to war but at 33 year of age and charged with testoterone and pride Ojukwu could not or would not see them

bottomline NEVER start war you can't win. you will only lose more which is exactly what happened.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by kasiem(m): 3:41pm On Dec 04, 2011
Ojukwu is greedy, yet he sold all his father's property for the cause of biafra. Then, who's that greedy guy that spends his life earning? He's arrogant, yet he agitated for ogundipe's elevation, to show he he loves due process. He's selfish, yet he supported peter obi to the detriment of his first son's governorship ambition? How many naija leaders go fit do am?
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by ak47mann(m): 3:43pm On Dec 04, 2011
aribisala0:

exactly the same thing you do when your neighbour whom you know come to your house and points a gun at your head and demands your wallet
trying to impress your wife and children with machismo will only get you ALL killed.
there is a difference between bravery and recklessnes,between pragmatism and cowardice some will NEVER learn that.
the  military adventure was no less imprudent than blacks trying to win freedom in apartheid south africa by force.
there were alternatives to war but at 33 year of age and charged with testoterone and pride Ojukwu could not or would not see them

bottomline NEVER start war you can't win. you will only lose more which is exactly what happened.

but Nigeria is still at war,let me ask you how many lives have Nigeria lost this year alone?guy for get that without britian and Russia Nigeria will not win that war,you live in UK yeah? bro Africa is a different ball game.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 3:45pm On Dec 04, 2011
ak47mann:

thank for hitting the point there, the thing is that they still look for blame on igbos,but  getting their pay back slowly but surely  cool this people are the product of wickedness and hate they will end miserably.

Who is heck is blaming Igbos, I blame Ojukwu not Igbos. I blame Ojukwu because he is the reason why every topic on Nairaland and the internet is filled with BAIFRA war and we cannot longer rest again.

kasiem:

For those castigating ojukwu. Okay, i'm just curious to know what u guys would've done if u were in ojukwu's shoe.

If I was In ojukwu's shoes this are the things I would have considered doing

1. After the pogroms in the north, I would not allow my people to go back there until the issue is settled

2. If still unsettled, I would then do what he did by bring every Igboland under protection and allow those outside Igboland to fend for themselves

3. In aburi meeting, I would have asked for the protection of my people and would not declear secession

4. I would call the international committee to witness you POSITION CLEAR AND SOUND.

5. If at all, I had no choice but feel I have to secede, I would only take Igboland and no other, unless others have come for protection then I would not be the soul leader but make a sort of conference for leaders from each ethnic group to talk and agree on issues.

6. I would never have invaded neutrals in the mid-west and western Nigeria. Instead of I would try to make the neutrals to see reason with me, not try to invade them.

7. I would have release the neutral leader earilier to make my intentions clear to the neutral people that I was no longer part of this misconception called Nigeria and as such I hold no power to hold an prisoner held by Nigeria. Not that I would wait for Gowon to make a deal with me before I release him and yet you expect those people to see me as the one that librated them ?

8. If the situation gets to the stage of the a WAR, I would rather just protect my provice and I would never try to invade a neutral position. By so the international committee would see that it was a war to protect his people not to fight against Nigeria.

9. and FINALLY, I WOULD NEVER EVER LEAVE MY PEOPLE TO BE DYING WHILE I HAVE NOT SURRENDERED BUT RUN AWAY. I rather die for the cause that 2 million died for than say alive and run for presidency in the enemies quaters. I would see it as an insult to the dead because of my fight.

Those are the things I would have done If I was in Ojukwu's shoes but also there are various factors that might be modified given the fact that Ojukwu did not tell us what transpered between him and Awo and between him and the Nigerian army.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 3:48pm On Dec 04, 2011
ak47mann:

but Nigeria is still at war,let me ask you how many lives have Nigeria lost this year alone?guy for get that without britian and Russia Nigeria will not win that war,you live in UK yeah? bro Africa is a different ball game.

then since you know this, then let us rest about this bloody biafra war.

How can people be having a hard-on on a war that claimed more lives than anyother in Nigerian's history.

If you don't want others to tell the truth then maybe you stop making topics on biafra. If not, the truth would ALWAYS be aired out.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aribisala0(m): 3:51pm On Dec 04, 2011
i do not support the the action of the  GOWON or his regime . some people have this dichotomous you are for us or against us mentality.
this is wrong. for you to be an objective thinker you MUST be able to see from different perspectives.
most eastern commentators see only one side and so lack balance. i understand them but there are alternative views and they are not entirely useless

the biafra idea might have succeeded  but the tactics were wrong sometimes in life some struggles take decades. a conventional war was foolish perhaps a guerilla war with MEND/Boko Haram tactics would have been more effective
you see the issue of nigeria will not win without britain may be true but is a statement motivated by pride or other emotion not cold rationality. a recurring problem
what does that matter 
when you go to war you must think of all factors e.g. who are my enemies' friends?

if mike tyson gets into a fight with obama and gets killed do we then boast he was more powerful if not for the Secret Service he would have won the fight
if not for the US sadaam would keep Kuwait??
you must think who else outside your borders gains or loses from the creation of Biafra and how will they respond?
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by emmke(m): 3:57pm On Dec 04, 2011
alhaji harem, to be honest, u are one of the most intelligent posters on nl, even though u get the most insults, lol
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by ak47mann(m): 4:00pm On Dec 04, 2011
alj_harem:

then since you know this, then let us rest about this bloody biafra war.

How can people be having a hard-on on a war that claimed more lives than anyother in Nigerian's history.

If you don't want others to tell the truth then maybe you stop making topics on biafra. If not, the truth would ALWAYS be aired out.
what is this monkey talking about? biafran history will never be forgotten, is not a joke,it will be there in your face 24/7 evil deed is a bad thing, genocide is not something you push at the corner hoping it will never surface,you might as well tell historians to stop documentary channels HITLER is on TV everyday and which year did he fought WW2?wake up alj.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by kasiem(m): 4:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
Harem, u are too intelligent. So, according to u, ojukwu suppose to have waited for the pogrom to end before he could take a decision? Oh, maybe that's why gej is waiting for boko haram to clear northerners with bombs before he takes decision. Ojukwu should have asked for protection of his people in aburi? So, it means that we dont have any right to life under a one-nigeria govt, unless we beg for it. Ojukwu should've excluded rivers and calabar from his plan? Prior to the war, was there any sort of division in the east? So, how would ojukwu know that they are not in full support of him? Do u think that igboland is bereft of sufficient oil? FYI, if anambra alone can be allowed to be their own country, i'll be highly happy.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aribisala0(m): 4:06pm On Dec 04, 2011
no we should NOT forget but we also must not allow deliberate distortions or misrepresentaions to stand. there are many who have an agenda to rewrite history or recreate new facts.whether or not it was a genocide depends on who you listen to but One thing is for sure many fewer would have survived if Ojukwu surrendered earlier. In that regard he must accept responsibilty. I distinguish between responsibilty and blame. It is clear to many that he was not prepared personally to surrender and that accounted for much loss of life. NO AMOUNT OF ABUSE CAN CHANGE THIS ONE FACT
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by HRHGambino(m): 4:21pm On Dec 04, 2011
@aribisala0 I totally agree with you. That war wasn't well planned for which was a flaw on the part of Ojukwu and other ndigbo leaders. Even though the Biafrans had every reason to declare that war, you wouldn't expect your enemies or even the intl community to see reasons with you cos in the end what all the stupid western countries that assisted Nigeria were after was what they could get just like as it has always happened, as it happened in Libya and will continue to happen for a long time to come. If Ojukwu had used just even 5 more months to think about how to secure the biafran borders to prevent a blockade, get the displaced people settled down adequately in the region, get weapons and medical supplies, the casualties would have been far less and probably one or two of those western countries would have assisted Biafra cos it would be clear that both regions have equal capabilities so it would be a question of 'who has more to offer us?' Its a dog eat dog world we live in finally.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by Afam4eva(m): 4:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
aribisala0:

the  military adventure was no less imprudent than blacks trying to win freedom in apartheid south africa by force.

Maybe the bolded is the reason why Nigerians are afraid to start a revolution that will be a catalyst for change. How exactly will you know how a war will turn out.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2011
alj_harem:

5. If at all, I had no choice but feel I have to secede, I would only take Igboland and no other, unless others have come for protection then I would not be the soul leader but make a sort of conference for leaders from each ethnic group to talk and agree on issues.

Was Ojukwu the governor of Igboland or eastern Nigeria? How could he have taken only Igbo when there was no such thing as south-east at that time.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aribisala0(m): 4:29pm On Dec 04, 2011
you are right but it is not just nigerians see China,the rest of Africa and the middle east,Burma, etc.
if one person wants to be a martyr ok but when you take a decision that will cost others their lives that requires a great deal of circumspection.
there are other kinds of struggles that do not involve direct military confrontation that can be equally or more effective. women win battles with men all the time but rarely by exchanging blows. if I challenge Mike Tyson to a fight I have a good idea how it will turn out.

i will whip his ass grin
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 4:30pm On Dec 04, 2011
ak47mann:

what is this monkey talking about? biafran history will never be forgotten, is not a joke,it will be there in your face 24/7 evil deed is a bad thing, genocide is not something you push at the corner hoping it will never surface,you might as well tell historians to stop documentary channels HITLER is on TV everyday and which year did he fought WW2?wake up alj.

To me I have to be honest, apart for the 30,000 killed in the north, that was about it.

IT WAS a war and as such it so happened that Igbos faced the HIGHEST causality very sad I must say. So tell me it was a genocide only implies that Ojukwu was not fighting back but igbos were killed just because they were igbos and that is  VERY WRONG FACT.

Then don't be angry or abusive when the TRUTH is been aired out. Because people like you are trying to change what caused the war making seem like people just went all out to target Igbos. I mean how is that possible. why ?

kasiem:

Harem, u are too intelligent. So, according to u, ojukwu suppose to have waited for the pogrom to end before he could take a decision? Oh, maybe that's why gej is waiting for boko haram to clear northerners with bombs before he takes decision. Ojukwu should have asked for protection of his people in aburi? So, it means that we dont have any right to life under a one-nigeria govt, unless we beg for it. Ojukwu should've excluded rivers and calabar from his plan? Prior to the war, was there any sort of division in the east? So, how would ojukwu know that they are not in full support of him? Do u think that igboland is bereft of sufficient oil? FYI, if anambra alone can be allowed to be their own country, i'll be highly happy.

What are you taking about nwanne.

1. Ojukwu should have asked the government to intervened in the pogrom that HAPPENED FROM 6 MONTHS.

2. What were Igbos still doing in the north for the period of 6 MONTHS if they were being killed ?

3. What do you mean by Ojukwu should have asked for protection, is that not what a normal leader would do if his people are not in there federal state ?  We were operating on regional govenment then ain't we ?

4. Yes Ojukwu should have excluded River and Cross river pior to the war, because YES THERE WAS DIVISION IN THE EAST BACK THEN. don't act like the whole east was One ethnic group. Ojukwu could only have added those ethnic groups if

a. they asked for his protection
         b. Those ethnic groups send there presentatives like it is done even this present day in the north and west
         c. if they wanted out as well
5. Let me remind you that those ethnic groups in the eastern region then were praising celebrating and happy that the Nigeria army came to free them. If they wanted biafra as bad as the Ojukwu wanted then, there would not be celebration in Ikwerre rivers state, awka ibom etc

6. Ojukwu could have Known that they were in support of him if HE DID NOT FORCE THEM BUT SEE IF THEY WOULD SEND A REPRESENTATIVE TO HIM from sos and so village or sos and so ethnic group.

7. Yes I think so, because if not then what would explain the igbo people on this site fixation on the SS. Let me remained you that the SS is not SE where Igbos are a mijority.

The SS is a geopolitical expression coined by PDP from the seperated regions of the western and eastern Nigeria. Allow each minority to chose his/her destiny without the interferance of Yoruba and Igbos

The yorubas understand that quite clear why can't igbos too understand that. In the SS, there are Ijaws, itsekrir, ilaje (YORUBA), anioma (Igbo), akoko edo ( yoruba), usen, bini, ikwerri, ibibio, ndoki, opobo, kalabari, urhobo, isoko, annage etc you name the rest.

so what is wrong in that. After all the mid-west was created from Nnamdi Azikwe to reduce Awolowo's power so why are you people complaing about the division of the so called eastern region ?
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 4:32pm On Dec 04, 2011
afam4eva:

Was Ojukwu the governor of Igboland or eastern Nigeria? How could he have taken only Igbo when there was no such thing as south-east at that time.

and was the eastern region not divided before the war ?

after the aburi meeting 11 days later the eastern region was divided way before the guns were shoot so he then became the leader of Igboland rather than eastern region.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by Afam4eva(m): 4:33pm On Dec 04, 2011
alj_harem:

and was the eastern region not divided before the war ?

after the aburi meeting 11 days later the eastern region was divided way before the guns were shoot so he then became the leader of Igboland rather than eastern region.

How was the eastern region divided? Explain pls. How did he become the leader of Igboland? Was he sworn in or annointed? You have become a ridicule to yourself.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 4:39pm On Dec 04, 2011
afam4eva:

How was the eastern region divided? Explain pls. How did he become the leader of Igboland? Was he sworn in or annointed? You have become a ridicule to yourself.

SMH, I would not result to insult I would rather tell you the truth and it is up to u to either believe it or remain deceived.

Now the eastern region was divided by Gowon given that the war was about Oil to Ojukwu and freedom to the Igbo people. there were 2 different mind sets here and that is why Igbos and people like you see Ojukwu as a god.

Ojukwu was the leader of Igboland by default because no one else had power more than him back then in alaigbo. He was seen then just now like know as a defender of the igbo people thus he gain the trust of the people and they saw him as a liberator.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by kasiem(m): 4:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
Harem, thanks for letting me know that we're aint protected in nigeria, unless we beg for it.
Re: Ojukwu: Gowon Blasted Over Biafra Comments by aljharem3: 4:50pm On Dec 04, 2011
kasiem:

Harem, thanks for letting me know that we're aint protected in nigeria, unless we beg for it.

Beg for it ? Where did you get that from

As I said Ojukwu should have engaged the FG at that time to do something about the kiilling. It is not necessary begging

We were still under fedralism or jsut recently left fedralism, thus each region saw the other as another country but the Igbos did not see it like that back then which was very patriotic and mature of them.

Needless to say, we the new generation should not do anything that would cause thousands to die again, We should always seek diplomatic means. I understand the angry and the sense of unfairness on the minds of the igbos on this site but most of you on this site are not being objective which is understandable.

It is a lesson we all can learn from.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Problem Of Igbo Jews And History / Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay / Update On Man Trekking From Lagos To Abuja Now In Suleja (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.