Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:57 AM

Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu (4054 Views)

Coward Ojukwu / OBJ Is At It Again (photo) / OBJ Is An Experienced & Patriotic Leader Who Transformed Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 7:33pm On Nov 30, 2011
But for Olusegun Obasanjo, the great and legendary Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu would be immortalized and get a National burial he well deserve.

President Goodluck Jonathan who asserts that the great warlord lived a most fulfilled life and described his death as a National loss was canvassing for a state burial for the Ikemba over the weekend however the ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo is believed to be of the contrary.

Obasanjo who is known to use sensitive National issues such as this to score cheap political point and for self-promotion rather has this to say "the late Ojukwu and I had discussed the possibility of an expression of remorse over the Biafran War".

Where, how and when this occurred no one but Obasanjo himself knows.

While he was alive, Ojukwu referred Obasanjo as a coward hence I am not surprised that someone as old and experienced as Obasanjo would rather chose an occasion such as death for distortion of facts, pride and self-promotion.

Let truth be told. Obasanjo hates Ndigbo generally and dreads Ojukwu personally (Please read Nigeria And Biafra: My Story by Philip Efiong and you will understand). He had shown in several occasion his desire to be like the great warlord. A rare attribute Ojukwu had is that he was loved and adored by his people – Obasanjo is not and will never be.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by ak47mann(m): 7:38pm On Nov 30, 2011
u dey mind the old fool.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 30, 2011
Everybody who did not steal food from women and children and then jump the ship when the sea became rough is a coward. Biafra capitulated in Obasanjo's hands, a very cowardly act, according to your warped logic.

Obasanjo dreaded Ojukwu! what a load of crap. For a brief moment, he had the whole of iboland under his whims. He was the first Eze igbo gburugburu.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Afam4eva(m): 7:51pm On Nov 30, 2011
Pls does anyone know if Effiong is still alive?
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Gbawe: 7:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
afam4eva:

He died in 2003.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2011
afam4eva:

A die hard Biafran like you does not know whether Effiong is alive or dead and you want Nigeria to immortalize Ojukwu!!!
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Afam4eva(m): 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
Gbawe:

He died in 2003.

Thanks.

I'll also like to see Effiong immortalized just like Ojukwu.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by T8ksy(m): 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
Aigbofa:

A die hard Biafran like you does not know whether Effiong is alive or dead and you want Nigeria to immortalize Ojukwu!!!

Abi ojare, Bloody jokers!!!
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Gbawe: 8:15pm On Nov 30, 2011
afam4eva:

Thanks.

I'll also like to see Effiong immortalized just like Ojukwu.

Well, he seems deserving of it as a pragmatically decent chap who stood up to be counted and did what he had to do. His actions mark him out as an unsung hero who did what was necessary to prevent needless deaths .A decent man IMO but man will interprete history to suit their conviction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Effiong

When Biafra's military resistance collapsed, Ojukwu fled to Côte d'Ivoire.

Efiong assumed leadership in this situation of turmoil, starvation, and collapse. He became Head of State of Biafra on 8 January 1970 and on 12 January announced surrender.[1]

At the time of the surrender, Efiong believed that the situation was hopeless and that prolonging the conflict would have led only to the further destruction and starvation of the people of Biafra. At that time Effiong said, "I am convinced now that a stop must be put to the bloodshed which is going on as a result of the war. I am also convinced that the suffering of our people must be brought to an immediate end."[1]

Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated."[2] Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end.
[edit]

Later life

In a 1996 interview, Efiong reflected on those events:

I have no regrets whatsoever of my involvement in Biafra or the role I played. The war deprived me of my property, dignity, my name. Yet, I saved so many souls on both sides and by this, I mean Biafra and Nigeria. . . .

I felt that I played a role which has kept this country united till today. . . .

At the end of it all when I saw they (Biafran soldiers) could no longer continue and Ojukwu had fled, I did what was ideal after wide consultation . . . [2]

Efiong died 6 November 2003, at the age of 78 less than two weeks before his 79th birthday.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 8:25pm On Nov 30, 2011
It's no more news that Obasanjo fears Ojukwu a great deal. Ojukwu is OBJ's role model.

In Sept, 2004 Ojukwu resisted arrest by OBJ and nothing happened. Trust what OBJ would have done if it were to be some non entity.

But Ojukwu refused to be arrested and heaven did not let loose. He even called OBJ, then a sitting president a fool, slowpoke and coward and no shakey

Were Ojukwu to be alive all he needed to do was just to sneeze and OBJ will take cover. Anyway sha,  the cat is dead and the mouse is out to play.

I back my fact with the link below:

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/ihenacho/092004.html
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by ak47mann(m): 8:39pm On Nov 30, 2011
EzeCanada:

It's no more news that Obasanjo fears Ojukwu a great deal. Ojukwu is OBJ's role model.

In Sept, 2004 Ojukwu resisted arrest by OBJ and nothing happened. Trust what OBJ would have done if it were to be some non entity.

But Ojukwu refused to be arrested and heaven did not let loose. He even called OBJ, then a sitting president a fool, slowpoke and coward and no shakey

Were Ojukwu to be alive all he needed to do was just to sneeze and OBJ will take cover. Anyway sha,  the cat is dead and the mouse is out to play.

I back my fact with the link below:

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/ihenacho/092004.html

we all no that OBJ is an illiterate fool,he knows he cant touch ojukwu in his life and next,did not no why, abacha could have stayed alive 4 extra 3 months before they poison him by now OBJ will not get mouth talk.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 8:51pm On Nov 30, 2011
@ AK47 mann: Well I don't pray for him to be killed.

My hope and expectations is for him to repent and appologize to Ndigbo and Nigeria in general before he dies
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by VoodooDoll(m): 9:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
OBJ is many things (liar, thief, adulterer, dictator), but I am not convinced he is a coward.

But I understand your points.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by dayokanu(m): 10:14pm On Nov 30, 2011
When Biafra's military resistance collapsed, [size=28pt]Ojukwu fled to Côte d'Ivoire[/size].

Efiong assumed leadership in this situation of turmoil, starvation, and collapse. He became Head of State of Biafra on 8 January 1970 and on 12 January announced surrender.[1]

At the time of the surrender, Efiong believed that the situation was hopeless and that prolonging the conflict would have led only to the further destruction and starvation of the people of Biafra. At that time Effiong said, "I am convinced now that a stop must be put to the bloodshed which is going on as a result of the war. I am also convinced that the suffering of our people must be brought to an immediate end."[1]

Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated."[2] Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end.
[edit]

Later life

In a 1996 interview, Efiong reflected on those events:

I have no regrets whatsoever of my involvement in Biafra or the role I played. The war deprived me of my property, dignity, my name. Yet, I saved so many souls on both sides and by this, I mean Biafra and Nigeria. . . .

I felt that I played a role which has kept this country united till today. . . .

At the end of it all when I saw they (Biafran soldiers) could no longer continue and [size=28pt]Ojukwu had fled[/size], I did what was ideal after wide consultation . . . [2]

Efiong died 6 November 2003, at the age of 78 less than two weeks before his 79th birthday.

The b1nch fled the war front and left the populace to die

What a shame to war generals
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by realchange: 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2011
a soldier's soldier cool

Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
i swear it sucks to have so few heroes that you have to celebrate a coward who abandoned ship

i wonder what it says about the people who celebrate him

perhaps they too would run and leave their families to the tender mercies of vandals?
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by JamesDoe: 11:23pm On Nov 30, 2011
OBJ has ruled Nigeria twice;
OBJ led 3 marine commando;
OBJ met Biafra in the field and accepted Effiong's surrender;
OBJ went to meet Boko Haran when all others couldnt;
OBJ survived Abacha.
OBJ, despite resistance from all corners installed his choice of president on Nigeria thrice (Shagari, YarAdua and GEJ)

OBJ is no coward.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by HighChief4(m): 12:14am On Dec 01, 2011
JamesDoe:

OBJ has ruled Nigeria twice;
OBJ led 3 marine commando;
OBJ met Biafra in the field and accepted Effiong's surrender;
OBJ went to meet Boko Haran when all others couldnt;
OBJ survived Abacha.
OBJ, despite resistance from all corners installed his choice of president on Nigeria thrice (Shagari, YarAdua and GEJ)

OBJ is no coward.

Dont you think you are leaving out some credits

OBJ lost his 3rd term bid
OBJ knelt before his Vice Atiku and begged for re-election
OBJ Was a ceremonial president, while his Vice Yaradua was the one running things.
OBJ's PDP lost election in his own ward

Anyways thats his own cup of tea, the truth remains that OBJ can never be loved by his own people, the way Ojukwu is adored and respected.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by volasunkan: 1:28am On Dec 01, 2011
wikipedia defines a coward as"Cowards are usually seen to have avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation or struggle "

meriam-webster defines coward as "one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity."

that record has it that Ojukwu fled means he 'avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation' and exhibits 'disgraceful fear or timidity'

therefore it is not historically correct but logically sound that Ojukwu is a coward' and lived a cowardly life.

case closed.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Dede1(m): 3:52am On Dec 01, 2011
Aigbofa:

Everybody who did not steal food from women and children and then jump the ship when the sea became rough is a coward. Biafra capitulated in Obasanjo's hands, a very cowardly act, according to your warped logic.

Obasanjo dreaded Ojukwu! what a load of crap. For a brief moment, he had the whole of iboland under his whims. He was the first Eze igbo gburugburu.

Above post is born out of stack ignorance. There are many goofy individuals on this forum that lacked structural knowledge of military protocol and will continue to flaunt it regrettably. When a person reads the junk these anemic individuals post about the Nigeria/Biafra war, undiscerning audience will assume Nigeria had 3MCDO as the only military unit in the theater of war during the debacle. .

The reasons Gowon ordered Obasanjo to stand on his behalf during the initial Biafra’s surrender to Nigeria were political and esprit de corps. However, few loudmouths had twisted the exercise of surrender to their inherent source of pleasure.

I do not think Obasanjo was comparatively a better field commander than Jallo or Bisalla. In addition, 3MCDO was not even as organized or disciplined unit as 1st and 2nd divisions.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Katsumoto: 4:27am On Dec 01, 2011
Dede1:

Above post is born out of stack ignorance. There are many goofy individuals on this forum that lacked structural knowledge of military protocol and will continue to flaunt it regrettably. When a person reads the junk these anemic individuals post about the Nigeria/Biafra war, undiscerning audience will assume Nigeria had 3MCDO as the only military unit in the theater of war during the debacle. .

The reasons Gowon ordered Obasanjo to stand on his behalf during the initial Biafra’s surrender to Nigeria were political and esprit de corps. However, few loudmouths had twisted the exercise of surrender to their inherent source of pleasure.

I do not think Obasanjo was comparatively a better field commander than Jallo or Bisalla. In addition, 3MCDO was not even as organized or disciplined unit as 1st and 2nd divisions.

Obasanjo was not a better field commander yet it was Obasanjo who conceived 'Operation Tail-wind', the final offensive which resulted in the capture of Owerri and Uli, ending the war in the process. 3MCDO led the final assualt and it was supported by the more 'organised' or 'disciplined' (your words) 1st and 2nd Divisions led by Jallo and Bisalla who had both been in the war longer than Obasanjo. I am not an admirer of Obasanjo but I will give credit where credit is due.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by Nobody: 5:53am On Dec 01, 2011
Dede1:

I will disregard your unprovoked attacks on me and refer you to Katsumoto's reply to the only meaningful part of your drivel. I am not the greatest fan of OBJ as well, but facts are facts.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 6:35am On Dec 01, 2011
VoodooDoll:

OBJ is many things (liar, thief, adulterer, dictator), but I am not convinced he is a coward.

But I understand your points.

Trust me OBJ sounded like a coward to me. He never confronted Ojukwu while he was alive but now have those comments accredited to him while he is dead. What else is cowardice?
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by JamesDoe: 6:46am On Dec 01, 2011
Ojukwu never stood in one place to be confronted.

Always fleeing:

Eg:
1) Fled Biafra (afraid of facing OBJ)
2) Fled NPP to NPN
3) Fled his first wife to marry Bianca, despite claiming conversion to Christianity; and
4) Fled decent people in the 90s to support Abacha.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 7:37am On Dec 01, 2011
JamesDoe:

Ojukwu never stood in one place to be confronted.

Always fleeing:

Eg:
1) Fled Biafra (afraid of facing OBJ)
2) Fled NPP to NPN
3) Fled his first wife to marry Bianca, despite claiming conversion to Christianity; and

1. Ojukwu couldn't have fled because of OBJ. OBJ is a nincompoop. If there was any one to dread it could have been Adekunle. But Ojukwu faced and crushed him
2. Political party is a matter of choice and strategy
3. This does not make sense. Does it mean he dreaded his first wife?
4. It took courage for him to have supported Abacha. Supporting him openly meant he's got balls because he stood the chance of being abandoned by his people.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by JamesDoe: 8:14am On Dec 01, 2011
It doesn't take courage to support a tyrant and murderous bastard like Abacha.

Dude your credibility is zero after making the above statement. Take your tribalist a.ss and go and sleep.

Mourn Ojukwu if you will but don't go about trash talking other people.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by manchy7531: 8:29am On Dec 01, 2011
Has Gaddafi that died like a chicken now become a hero or has it made his people love him??

you people calling Ojukwu coward are just fools.That Ojukwu lived till today has made him a hero's hero if you don't know.if he was killed during the war we probably could have forgotten him.

Secondly that he fled has not made him a coward.i even once read on NL where some posters where say why didnt Gaddafi and his son fled.instead of staying in Libya to be captured.Now that he has been captured and killed like a fowl and his son captured like a criminal which one would you suggested to them if you knew the outcome of the war??
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 8:33am On Dec 01, 2011
JamesDoe:

You used the point above to back up your fact that Ojukwu was non confrontational. , But I am of the opinion that it takes COURAGE to support some one as controversial as Abacha against decent people as you mentioned. We are talking about COURAGE here and not morality.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by JamesDoe: 8:38am On Dec 01, 2011
Diversionary tactics.

Stick to the issue. Ojukwu fled every major confrontation he has ever faced.

He cowardly needed a pardon from the same people that butchered millions of his people before returning to Nigeria.

When Eastern Nigeria (including SS) was on fire and needed a hero, Ojukwu cowardly supported Abacha.

Ojukwu is a typical Nigerian soldier, only showing bravery when hiding behind the skirts of innocent civilians.

This is the same man that cowardly refused to respect his friend's wishes but went ahead and married his god daughter.

Ojukwu is not the example of someone I will use as a hero. Effiong maybe, but certainly not Ojukwu!
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by EzeCanada: 9:02am On Dec 01, 2011
JamesDoe:

Diversionary tactics.

Stick to the issue. Ojukwu fled every major confrontation he has ever faced.

He cowardly needed a pardon from the same people that butchered millions of his people before returning to Nigeria.

When Eastern Nigeria (including SS) was on fire and needed a hero, Ojukwu cowardly supported Abacha.

Ojukwu is a typical Nigerian soldier, only showing bravery when hiding behind the skirts of innocent civilians.

This is the same man that cowardly refused to respect his friend's wishes but went ahead and married his god daughter.

Ojukwu is not the example of someone I will use as a hero. Effiong maybe, but certainly not Ojukwu!

Dude,
It was the Igbo people and leaders that lobbied and pressurized the Nigerian Government for Ojukwu to return. The Nigerian Government may call it any name they like, pardon or whatever they like. The Shagari Governent even needed Ojukwu more than Ojukwu needed Nigeria. My friend, study your history. NPN thought they could use him to win Igbo people over during election that’s why they arranged for his return.

I have addressed that of Abacha, so if you like, continue going round in circle.

On Bianca, the last time I checked, I never heard Bianca complaining that she was arranged. Marraige is a two sided agreement. There shouldn't be third party. Bianca's father is not the one to marry her. From my observation Bianca seem to even love Ojukwu more than Ojukwu loved her.

So case closed, keep your biased argument and jelousy in your pocket.
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by sheyguy: 10:12am On Dec 01, 2011
OBJ did not side erring yorubas.
OBJ did not try to secede with the west after 3rd term failure.
OBJ was begged by all (including Ibos) to assume same power position 3 million pple couldn't buy ojukwu.
OBJ does not betray nobody, a typical Yoruba man i call him.

[size=14pt]OBJ is a Hero.[/size]
Re: Obj Is A Coward - Ojukwu by ak47mann(m): 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2011
sheyguy:

OBJ did not side erring yorubas.
OBJ did not try to secede with the west after 3rd term failure.
OBJ was begged by all (including Ibos) to assume same power position 3 million pple couldn't buy ojukwu.
OBJ does not betray nobody, a typical Yoruba man i call him.

[size=14pt]OBJ is a Hero.[/size]
OBJ is not pure Yoruba mumu go and check his history his half BIAFRA mumu cool cool

oya fly O zim zim phewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted / Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million / NNPC Discontinues OPA, Adopts Direct Trading Of Nigeria’s Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.