Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,535 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. (3909 Views)

Your Take On Software And Movie Piracy. / Let's Help You Build Ur Projects On Software And Embedded System Development! / Your Thoughts On Google Chrome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 9:42pm On Nov 30, 2011
Being a huge and hotly debated issue I want to know ur thoughts on the subject. Feel free to xpress urself here. Is it good or is it bad? Is there any solution to it? Or are we just have to live with it.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by sunnyhova(m): 10:09pm On Nov 30, 2011
First of all, what is piracy? It means "to reproduce copyrighted material without permission". In other words, its stealing. This is SIN. Since I gave my life to Christ I have stopped downloading pirated software cause I had strong convictions about such activity.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 10:15pm On Nov 30, 2011
So u now buy the software from the vendors? How do u do that?
Now I buy with master card but for the thousands that have no credit card what do they do?
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by deco2come: 10:18am On Dec 01, 2011
sunnyhova:

First of all, what is piracy? It means "to reproduce copyrighted material without permission". In other words, its stealing. This is SIN. Since I gave my life to Christ I have stopped downloading pirated software cause I had strong convictions about such activity.
The issue of piracy is hardly to avoid. It does not only happen with softwares but movies, musics, cars, etc. Let's take microsoft products for example, many people using microsoft products like microsoft office think that it is free. Apart from that, even the operating system might be running on fake windows. Ok, let's talk about movies, if all Nigeria buy original nollywood movies, believe me the actors will be among the top richest people in Nigeria. There are some softwares that cost 2500dollars to 5000dollars. I wonder how many people are willing to buy it if they can get it somewhere at less than 2dollars. You get my point. This is what I believe, if a user can get a software somewhere for free, or at a lower price, I am not against him but I will encourage him to pay back in full when he has the money.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 10:51am On Dec 01, 2011
Good point. I think u make quite some sense. But in the situation of things now, how does one even pay for it. The credit card system though improving is not up to that level yet. And besides for movies, I believe the revene comes from cinema if I'm not mistaken. And besides how do u convince the ppl to change when a 24 season 1 DVD is 200 bucks while the original is 10k. And most software company are not located here. So how does on cope?
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by mikolo80: 11:28am On Dec 01, 2011
demand and supply.the publishers are makin excess profit so pirates reveal the real price not the usurious nonsense microsoft and co spew.when e tire dem dem begin de sell real windows for 3dollars in china.pirates make life easier. why shud you sell software for 10k to 1million elite wen you can sell for 100 to 1billion unless ur a shylock who deserves to be pirated.thank goodness for capitalism
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 11:43am On Dec 01, 2011
I don't really believe u r right there, the resources these ppl put into their softwares more than make their final cost reasonable, besides those that can't afford it for the most part won't even make good use of it. My issue is with availabilty and not pricing
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by gbigbega: 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2011
Most software abroad can be purchased in Nigeria. there are various third party reseller who sells almost all the type of sofware you may want to buy here in Nigeria.

You can also use your master or visa card to purchase any product online and get it sent to you. GT naira master card can be used to purchase software online. If the manufacturers can't send it to you directly, you can use a shipping company (they are everywhere in nigeria) to help you with the purchase or/and the shipping. They can even buy it for you and ask you to pay them in Naira(get more info from any of this sites aarcargo.com, http://www.onlinepurchasesnigeria.com/Home.html, http://www.shopabroad.com.ng/).
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:59pm On Dec 01, 2011
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2011
Ok
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by ugo2u(m): 3:24pm On Dec 01, 2011
Hmmm, Interesting,
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by highland(m): 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2011
Solution to this problem is far due to large unemployment and poor in the land especially among the youth.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by Mobinga: 8:59am On Dec 19, 2011
There are no enforced laws against it in Nigeria. Continue the downloading.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by Maleeq(m): 10:07am On Dec 19, 2011
Mobinga:

Keyword "enforced law", but there exists a law against it.

Many who pirate software are fully aware of the legalities, though they are able to rationalize continuing the practice. Some have difficulty understanding the distinction between freeware, shareware and commercial software.

Software piracy is illegal. Each pirated piece of software takes away from company profits. This would best be understood if you are into software development.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by Mobinga: 6:28pm On Dec 19, 2011
Maleeq:

Keyword "enforced law", but there exists a law against it.

Many who pirate software are fully aware of the legalities, though they are able to rationalize continuing the practice. Some have difficulty understanding the distinction between freeware, shareware and commercial software.

Software piracy is illegal. Each pirated piece of software takes away from company profits. This would best be understood if you are into software development.

I am into Software Development. This doesn't change my stance on illegal downloads in Nigeria
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by skydancer: 9:45pm On Dec 19, 2011
Mobinga:

Exactly, I never really thought about it that way. If the Nigerian police starts to jail all these local places where they sell pirated software, it will reduce vastly. I guess the problem is because we are not rich enough to buy these softwares, if Nigeria could focus on developing our ICT sector a bit, not only will we be able to make cheaper softwares which our own citizens can buy, but we will also encourage developers and create more employment for youths.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by Mobinga: 3:08am On Dec 20, 2011
skydancer:

Exactly, I never really thought about it that way. If the Nigerian police starts to jail all these local places where they sell pirated software, it will reduce vastly. I guess the problem is because we are not rich enough to buy these softwares, if Nigeria could focus on developing our ICT sector a bit, not only will we be able to make cheaper softwares which our own citizens can buy, but we will also encourage developers and create more employment for youths.

Gbam. !. grin
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by GoodBoi1(m): 6:30pm On Dec 24, 2011
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by nateevs(m): 11:56am On Jan 04, 2012
Software piracy is one of the reasons ICT in Nigeria will continue to suffer for a long time. ISPs, forced by legislation can tackle this.
The Nigerian Government don't understand the impact of ICT on technological development. If they do, software piracy will curbed. Unfortunately, it is going to be the same way for a long long time.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by xtremeidea(m): 9:37am On Jan 26, 2012
highland:

Solution to this problem is far due to large unemployment and poor in the land especially among the youth.

I so agree with you. grin grin grin grin

If i have a good job that pays me well, why would i wanna stress myself downloading when i can just walk in to a pc mart and buy it!
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by toysmall: 10:07am On Feb 01, 2012
This phenomenon is hard to change.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by nateevs(m): 7:54am On Feb 08, 2012
xtremeidea:

I so agree with you. grin grin grin grin

If i have a good job that pays me well, why would i wanna stress myself downloading when i can just walk in to a pc mart and buy it!

You say that. However, it is primarily because you can get away with it. Even if you get paid handsomely, if you cant get away with a pirated copy of a $500 software, you probably won't pay for it.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by toysmall: 10:02am On Feb 08, 2012
:-x
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by dream1126girl: 11:22pm On Mar 05, 2012
As what I could understand about software piracy, it is a method wherein a software is being copied but with no proper permission from the programmer or seller who owned the software or may have no license at all.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by 3RNEST(m): 9:29am On Mar 13, 2012
Pirate reduce the rate of unemployment somehw, so any youth involve in it can't stop it cuz dats it's source of living.
I don't think its can't be stoped cuz man must survive.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by sirrinky: 9:50pm On Mar 19, 2012
Aint got much to say,but believe me naija would have been 15yrs lagged,if not for pirated softwares n believe me most pc in government offices run,pirated windows o.s and apps. I know cos am an i.t staff.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by laborn: 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2012
sorry to digress here can any one in the house teach me sql databse? Am based in ibadan around somewhere around agbowo.... Av got some tips but i need someone to teach me practically...... My mobile numbers is 08095897819.... Thanks.
Re: Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. by womer: 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2012
The Nigerian Government don't understand the impact of ICT on technological development. If they do, software piracy will curbed. Unfortunately, it is going to be the same way[img]http://www.filii.info/g.gif[/img] for a long long time.

(1) (Reply)

Oracle 10g Installation On Solaris 10 / .. / 1tb External Hard Disk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.