Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige (4324 Views)

Ghana Bans Public Officials From Travelling First Class / Kenya BANS All GMO Monsanto Foods! / Malawi Bans Public Farting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by salassie(f): 9:31pm On Dec 05, 2011
Bottom line is that this church has the right to marry or not whomever they want – just as this couple has the right to leave and join another congregation. Why on earth stay? According to the article, she isn’t even an active member. Sounds to me like they are getting a kick out of the “forbidden love” aspect this church is placing on their relationship.

Mr--Why:
If those Boers had their way in Southern Africa again; they would do much worse than apartheid.

Unless you are a member of the Boer community, you are in no position to state this as if it’s fact.

Olodostein:
The only black people in the world who developed a Neo Nazi mindset by being xenophobes

South Africans are not xenophobic. Those incidents were horrific, but blaming it on xenophobia over simplifies the root causes. South Africans are the friendliest people in the world. Not implying that we are perfect though.

Olodostein:
and think they are SUPERIOR to other Africans. It thus shows how these Boers mentally damaged you all;

Wait. Wait. If South African blacks think that they are superior to other Africans and if this belief is the result of apartheid, then WOW! Listen to what you are saying.

paniki:
Black South Africans experienced the most brutal forms of institutionalised discrimination during the years of Apartheid. Many of us lived through those times and we know first hand how it's like to be discriminated against. As a result, our constitution which was written by blacks prohibits any form of discrimination coz we know it's bad.

And it’s a constitution we are very proud of!

cap28:
If the majority of blacks in africa think like paniki it will just be a matter of time before the whites succeed in completly exterminating all of us in africa- HIV aids in africa is highest where there are large white settler populations in africa - do you think that is a coincidence? these white parasites are determined to take that land at any cost.

These HIV conspiracy theories have got to stop.

paniki:
This is madness amplified to extreme lunacy. You think that white people are on a mission to exterminate blacks? Get over yourself, white people have better things to do.

Much better things, yes!

paniki:
Besides they did blood test in the 60s which matched the father.

I can’t remember the names right now, but I do know of a case like this in SA where they took DNA and it showed that there had been no “hanky panky”. May be the same family.

paniki:
It's true that Dutch settlers landed in Cape Town around mid 1600s and the MEN proceeded to rap3 local black women for centuries since resulting in close to half of the current Cape Town population being coloured.

No, this isn’t correct. I don’t doubt that there was rap3. Sad fact that where men are there will be s3xual violence. Prostitution was alive and well in the Cape as well even in those days. However, many early Europeans married mixed-Khoi and Asian women, and in some cases black women from SA and Madagascar. The VOC was not pleased about this and tried to stop it many times. These laws were ignored. According to my family’s oral history some of my ancestors were married to non-European women. Since then, DNA tests support this to be true. Most Boer people have some non-European blood. Some will admit it, while other won’t. I think some fear that it will somehow cause them to lose their culture even though it is a very unique identity.

paniki:
just as I doubt that a Afrikaner WOMAN would willingly have s3x with a black man today in 2011.

Paniki, my dear compatriot . . .
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by salassie(f): 9:43pm On Dec 05, 2011
cap28:
most whites feel that they are above black people

You said "most" not "all"! cheesy
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by tpia5: 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2011
The church has reversed the ban @ topic.

We can all move on now and check out the next news item.

The black guys who were hurt by the matter can now breath a sigh of relief and go back as they were before.
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by MrWhy1(m): 12:00am On Dec 08, 2011
tpia@:

The church has reversed the ban @ topic.

We can all move on now and check out the next news item.

The black guys who were hurt by the matter can now breath a sigh of relief and go back as they were before.

Either they reverse it or not is their cup of tea.  The main issue that caused the American civil war was the Southern states wanted to institutionalized slavery. And they succeeded by forming the confederates states of America. Many people in the US especially in these southern states are descendants of these bloody racists. Racism is deeply ingrained in the system and psyche. There are lots of segregation in churches in the US. The worst will keep happening.

My point is black people just need to accept reality and embrace themselves more. Do not go where you are not wanted!!!
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by MrWhy1(m): 12:33am On Dec 08, 2011
sa_lassie:

Unless you are a member of the Boer community, you are in no position to state this as if it’s fact. 

I must not be a member of the Boer community to see the handwriting on the wall.  You just have to take a look at their blogs, online comments to have a clue of what is really underneath. Most of them want to see the New South Africa under the leadership of blacks fail.

Do you think those Boers were happy to hand over power? Who are you kidding?  Once beaten, twice shy, my friend.

And to South African blacks; to be forewarned is to be forearmed.  Mandela is the symbol holding South Africa together as it is today. If the fundamental problems are not quickly addressed, It is just a matter of time before all hell broke loose.  Face reality and stop living an illusion.
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by salassie(f): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2011
Mr--Why:
I must not be a member of the Boer community to see the handwriting on the wall. You just have to take a look at their blogs, online comments to have a clue of what is really underneath.

My friend, can you tell me exactly which blogs you are referring to? Are they in English or Afrikaans? Something that irks me enormously is that the extreme right around the world are trying to latch themselves on to us. It’s the same with foreign black supremacist trying to undermine black South Africans. Both these groups have axes to grind and unfortunately would love nothing more than to make SA their battleground. This is one of the reasons why I am so against white and black supremacist. They should sort out their problems in their own countries and leave us to do the same here. It’s easy for me to spot whether or not comments are coming from locals. I’ve seen how foreigners try to come across as South African and carrying on as though they have a say over what happens in our country. Not that there aren’t locals (from all groups) who are vile, but the foreign element on those forums are strong.

Mr--Why:
Most of them want to see the New South Africa under the leadership of blacks fail.

I frequently Google SA history and often end up on conservative Afrikaans forums. Yes, they are very suspicious of the government and pretty much everyone else, but the lack of racist terms on the ones I’ve visited are quite surprising. These guys usually don’t like to participate on local English forums. It’s not really fair to say that they want the government to fail. To the contrary, their gripe with the government is that issues such as farm murders and Afrikaans language are ignored. They see this as an attack on their culture. The other thing I keep seeing is that they are fed up with affirmative action. It’s not that they want anything more than other groups. They keep asking when things are going to be equal i.e when people will be hired purely based on qualifications and not race and/or s3x.

Mr--Why:
Do you think those Boers were happy to hand over power? Who are you kidding? Once beaten, twice shy, my friend.

It was not about being “forced” to hand over power. I remember very well when we had the referendum in 1992. We had family and community meetings to discuss with people why they should vote “yes”. It wasn’t a hard sell. People were “gatvol” of the way the country was being run. The sight of PW Botha on TV during the 1980s always led to cursing and jeering. Believe it or not, but the NP was moderate compared to parties such as the CP. The referendum for the first time gave people the opportunity to have their say. Personally I only knew 2 guys who voted “no” and they were both English.

Something else that I can see is deeply misunderstood is the role of the Boer people during apartheid. Please allow me to explain a few things. All of us whites who speak Afrikaans as our mother language are commonly called “Afrikaners” for convenience sake. Boers are a sub-group of Afrikaners. My family are of the Boer group. Boers were amongst those who first arrived in SA in the mid 1600s. They were poor people of whom many married freed slaves and women of mixed blood. Two of my ancestors married women of mixed blood. Even Boer leaders like Andries Pretorius and Paul Kruger are descendants of freed slave women from the early days at the Cape. Boers couldn’t tolerate English rule over them and in 1835 they left the Cape in large numbers. Some of them went on to become allies to Zulu kings. Afrikaners stayed behind in the Cape. Later the Boers fought the English in 1899 -1902 while most Afrikaners did not and were content to remain British subjects. After the 1902 war, many Boers were unable to rebuild the simple but self-sufficient lives they had known and thus moved poverty stricken to the cities. Many had very little formal education. They worked as seamstresses in English factories, in the mines, on the railways and roads. These are the people who established various unions in SA such as the Mineworkers and Garment worker’s unions. Later they rebelled under the communist flag against the government and were brutally crushed. This was the beginning of the rise of the Afrikaners. The Boers were increasingly regarded as a “problem” and an embarrassment. There was a bitter rift between the groups. The English first implemented apartheid measures and this was perfected from 1948 to 1994 by a secret group within the Afrikaner community called the Afrikaner Broederbond. SA politics was under their control. From the start they claimed all former achievements of the Boers as their own. This is why there is so much confusion about this. The Boers did not control apartheid SA. The Afrikaner Broederbond did. Today everything is blamed on the Boers while the Broederbond remains hush. All the Boers ever wanted is to be left alone to farm. There are only about 1.5 million Boers. There’s still a great deal of nostalgia over the old Boer Republics that were sovereign states when the English attacked. Many Boers still fly the flags of the old Boer Republics. Don’t confuse them with those white South Africans who are holding onto the old SA flag.

Mr--Why:
And to South African blacks; to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Mandela is the symbol holding South Africa together as it is today. If the fundamental problems are not quickly addressed, It is just a matter of time before all hell broke loose. Face reality and stop living an illusion.

We aren't living an illusion. We are very well aware of what our problems are. It's just not something I want to discuss in detail on NL. It's better to keep some discussions within the SA family.

BTW, the only real militant white group in SA has never had much support. Everyone knows this. Back in the early 1990s it was even reported that many of their members were English speaking. Indeed the only person I’ve ever personally known to support them is English speaking.
Re: Wtf! US Church Bans Interracial Marraige by salassie(f): 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2011
Mr--Why:
And to South African blacks; to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Mandela is the symbol holding South Africa together as it is today. If the fundamental problems are not quickly addressed, It is just a matter of time before all hell broke loose. Face reality and stop living an illusion.

Black, white - or South African?

30 June 2006

There's much variety in the people of South Africa - one of the most diverse countries in the world - with four broad racial groupings (including three minorities), 11 official languages, a huge gap between rich and poor, and growing communities of migrants and immigrants.

The distribution of races in South Africa's population

[img]http://www.southafrica.info/cm_pics/ess_info/690-1823-2657-0_348365.jpg[/img]

Yet since the end of apartheid there has been a growing sense of nationhood in this race-conscious country, with most of all these different people seeing themselves as primarily South African - not as members of a specific racial or ethnic group.

This is according to A Nation in the Making: A Discussion Document on Macro Social Trends in South Africa, a major new report released this week by the Presidency's Policy Coordination and Advisory Services.

[img]http://www.southafrica.info/cm_pics/ess_info/690-1823-2657-0_348347.jpg[/img]

South Africans' primary form of identity

According to a 2004 FutureFact study cited in the report, a whopping 71% of South Africans of all races define their primary identity - that is, the group to which they belong "first and foremost" - as African or South African.

FutureFact's data across the years reveals a strong move away from ethnicity towards nationhood. In 2000, 44% of South Africans defined themselves according to their race, ethnic group or language. By September 2001 this had declined to only 22%, with 12% race and 10% ethnicity. The most recent survey puts the figure at 18% - a mere 4% in terms of race alone.

According to the 2004 survey, more than half the population (53%) see themselves as primarily South African. A further 18% of the country's people - of all races - identify with the continent as a whole, describing themselves as "African".

"Overall, the data points to increasing levels of social cohesion, in terms of unity, coherence, functionality and pride among South Africans," the report says.

"However, this is drawn back by the legacy of inequality, intense migratory trends, crime related to social conditions and vestiges of racism."

Beyond crude racial classification
Black South Africans' sense of identity varies most, reflecting a diversity that belies crude racial classification. Making up 79% of the country's population, 44% of black people define themselves as South African, the lowest proportion among all groups. Twenty-three percent see themselves as African, 18% identify with an ethnic or linguistic group - down from 23% in 1999 - and only 3% classify themselves according to race.

With 82% defining themselves as "South African", whites identify with the country the most, followed by coloureds and Indians. Five percent of whites consider themselves to be Africans, while 4% identify themselves according to race and 2% according to language or ethnicity.

The vast majority (78%) of coloured South Africans also identify with the country, with a further 12% defining themselves racially, 1% in terms of language or ethnicity, and 4% as African. While most Indians and Asians also identify strongly with South Africa (70%), and 4% with Africa, this group has the highest ratio (18%) of those with a racial self-definition, and the lowest (0%) for language or ethnicity.

[This is the real problem facing SA:]

The data also shows that, since the end of apartheid, economic status has dramatically taken hold of South Africans' sense of self. In 1994, the year of the first democratic elections, only 3% of the country's people used class or occupational descriptions as their primary self-definition. In 2000 this had risen to 14%, reaching a remarkable 37% by the time of the 2004 survey - a 12-fold increase in 10 years.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/democracy/identity-300606.htm#ixzz1fywfSmTi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russian Atomic-like Bomb Turns Night Into Day In Ukraine / Palestinians Plan Is Already Working. Finally, They Got There. / Africa's Top 10 Problems You Don't Know About.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.