Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel (9825 Views)

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu / Very Interesting: America's Secret Files On Ojukwu. / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Ojukwu's Demise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

@ Eze Uche, don't be too harsh. . . Lol. He just  doesn't understand the story well enough.

If he doesn't understand the history, he should stop typing. Only a fool would talk about something he knows nothing about. It is like me telling a farmer how to plant his grain, even though I do not have a background in farming. I have sense not do that.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Even the foreign men who wrote these articles have more knowledge about Nigeria than you, which is actually sad. Ojukwu supported Nigerian and he was a federalist. The man was against secession, but he had to listen to the will of the people in the former Eastern Region. He was a reluctant leader. Ojukwu had nothing to gain from secession. His father's business was conducted throughout Nigeria. That meant his family lost much, because of the secession. Did you know Ojukwu at that time, was often accused by Igbos as not wanting secession in the beginning?

History is looking favorable on Ojukwu. He did not wish for war. If you know anything about Aburi, Gowon reneged on his promise. Ojukwu had to play the cards that he was dealt.
well if he listened to the will of the people against his better judgements that makes him an emotional and irrational leader. still not a good look.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:15pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

@ Eze Uche, don't be too harsh. . . Lol. He just  doesn't understand the story well enough.

did you understand the story ?

what do you understand about Nigerian politics and the politics back then ?

If you are well knowledgeable of the politics back then and aware of Nigerian politics, then you would not be posting that "he had no choice"

What do you know of aburi meeting ?

Do you even know and understand Ojukwu himself ?

I mean did you understand Ojukwu's idealogy back then and how it changed before his departure ?

Abeg stop posting on things you are not knowledgeable about

BUZUGEE was absolutely right when he describe it as an "ego fight"
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

And you call yourself objective. Who do you think you are fooling? You are not fooling anyone. Like I said, I would rather listen to an unbiased/objective person from a foreign land, who is not swayed by public sentiment or tribal loyalties.

BTW, any people have a right to self-determination. It is a God given right, and if a state cannot protect its people, then it is not fit to govern the people. To make it clearly for you, Nigeria could not protect Igbos from the pogroms in the North. Slaughtered tens of thousands would make any group of people ready to secede and form their own nation. Is that hard to comprehend or do I need ot make it simpler?
tribal loyalties ? believe it or not i have no loylty to any tribe in nigeria. i dont even see myself as a nigerian. this is my mindset. i see myself as a hebrew israelite. all these divisions and sub-divisions were created to divide and conquer you. so miss me with that tribal affiliation crap. you ever seen me contribute to tribal discussions on this forum ?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
alj_harem:

did you understand the story ?

what do you understand about Nigerian politics and the politics back then ?

If you are well knowledgeable of the politics back then and aware of Nigerian politics, then you would not be posting that "he had no choice"

What do you know of aburi meeting ?

Do you even know and understand Ojukwu himself ?

I mean did you understand Ojukwu's idealogy back then and how it changed before his departure ?

Abeg stop posting on things you are not knowledgeable about

BUZUGEE was absolutely right when he describe it as an "ego fight"
finally someone with an objective and rational perspective.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

well if he listened to the will of the people a[b]gainst his better judgements that makes him an emotional and irrational leader[/b]. still not a good look.

+10
his generals in the baifra army not making arrogant statments like "I am not talking from the position of an under dog but position of power"

WTF.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2011
Omg!

Buzugee, did u just say strength of the Nigerian army I laugh in biafra.

Okay, I didn't think I was gonna come back to this, but I might as well do so! Okay, at the time of the civil war, the Nigerian army really wasn't anything to write home about. The 2 major reasons tĦey seemed to have gotten the upper hand was because tĦey were receiving sophisticated weapons from abroad to help them fight the easterners, and more importantly, the FOOD SUPPLY TO THE EAST WAS CUT OFF. Even at that, the igbos manufactured their own weapons and ammunitions at that time. Moreover, u don't expect hungry men to do wonders!

So, point of correction, the Nigerian army had lots of advantages, which if given to the easterners would have resulted in a different story. Nothing to do with the joke of the Nigerian army.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

If he doesn't understand the history, he should stop typing. Only a fool would talk about something he knows nothing about. It is like me telling a farmer how to plant his grain, even though I do not have a background in farming. I have sense not do that.
you are emotional. if you took the time to take your head out of the ikembas a-s-s and objectively look at the situation, maybe, just maybe you may be able to contribute rationally to this here discussion.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2011
Referring to the Civil War as just an "Ego fight" does a great injustice to those who were impacted by it, including my own family.

The Civil War was a reaction to the secession of the former Eastern region, because people of Eastern extraction (I say Eastern extraction, because not only Igbos) were impacted, by the pogroms that were occurring in the country.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2011
The fool is telling me that I am too emotional. Of course I would be emotional you dunce buzugee. My father was a proud soldier in the Biafran military. I lost many family members in that war. What do you think I am suppose to feel? Not emotional? We are talking about a Civil War, which left over a million people dead.

I am tired of arguing with an . Read book and learn something buzugee, before you try to argue with me.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

Omg!

Okay, I  didn't think I was gonna come back to this, but I might as well  do so! Okay, at the time of the civil war, the Nigerian army really wasn't anything to write home about. The 2 major reasons tĦey seemed to have gotten the upper hand was because tĦey were receiving sophisticated weapons from abroad to help them fight the easterners, and more importantly, the FOOD SUPPLY TO THE EAST WAS CUT OFF. Even at that, the igbos manufactured their own weapons and ammunitions at that time. Moreover, u don't expect hungry men to  do wonders!

So, point of correction, the Nigerian army had lots of advantages, which if given to the easterners would have resulted in a different story. Nothing to do with the joke of the Nigerian army.  

finally I have waited for you to display ur lack of knowledge

1. Food sent to baifra from Lagos was used by Ojukwu to feed his army insisted of the people of which Ojukwu.

2. Yes Nigeria army had a lot of advantage but Ojukwu could still have won if he was not arrogant.

In fact where did you get that from that the brittish was sending Nigeria weapons A lot of lies have be feed to you my sister.

In fact Ojukwu God bless his soul said I quote[b] " After the war, then the propaganda war started"[/b] that is where you people are getting this fake propaganda from
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

Omg!

Okay, I  didn't think I was gonna come back to this, but I might as well  do so! Okay, at the time of the civil war, the Nigerian army really wasn't anything to write home about. The 2 major reasons tĦey seemed to have gotten the upper hand was because tĦey were receiving sophisticated weapons from abroad to help them fight the easterners, and more importantly, the FOOD SUPPLY TO THE EAST WAS CUT OFF. Even at that, the igbos manufactured their own weapons and ammunitions at that time. Moreover, u don't expect hungry men to  do wonders!

see i see you lack the perspective called 'relativity' . if the nigerian army was nothing to write home about back then, then you know the biafran army would have been negligible. the nigerian army relatively will still be a lion taking on a cat in this relative perspective. i mean i heard yall was using machetes and whatnot. you expect to take on the nigerian army with machetes ? the horror of it all
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Referring to the Civil War as just an "Ego fight" does a g[b]reat injustice to those who were impacted by it[/b], including my own family.

The Civil War was a reaction to the secession of the former Eastern region, because people of Eastern extraction (I say Eastern extraction, because not only Igbos) were impacted, by the pogroms that were occurring in the country.

Great injustice you say ?

There is not greater injustice than Ojukwu wasting 3 million lives and coming back to contest as president from the same Country he wasted 3 million lives on.

That to me is the greatest INSULT OJUKWU gave to your family and those pro-baifran.

or am i saying rubbish ?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 12:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ alhaji harem,

Pls don't quote ♍e. I wasn't talking to u. U are obviously biased, as I have read a lot of degrading remarks from u.

Since u where present at the aburi meeting, and even fought the civil war, why don't you enumerate step by step details, accounts of the civil war.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:26pm On Dec 03, 2011
I am done here.

I think it is time people stop decieving themselves and think outside independently.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:28pm On Dec 03, 2011
alj_harem:

+10
his generals in the baifra army not making arrogant statments like "I am not talking from the position of an under dog but position of power"

WTF.
it was all a cocktail of egos, power drunkeness, entitlement, testosterone and insanity. all mixed up and formed the gumbo that motivated his generals lol
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:31pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

The fool is telling me that I am too emotional. Of course I would be emotional you dunce buzugee. My father was a proud soldier in the Biafran military. I lost many family members in that war. What do you think I am suppose to feel? Not emotional? We are talking about a Civil War, which left over a million people dead.

I am tired of arguing with an . Read book and learn something buzugee, before you try to argue with me.
well i hope he got a purple heart for his efforts. see that there makes you an irrational contributor to this topic. you are subjectively inclined to spew garbage as opposed to objectively. and i can respect that.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 12:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ Buzugee, do more research, if tĦere's no one to give u first hand information of the civil war.

@ Alhaji harem, the next time you quote ♍e, I will give you a very dirty slap. One you won't forget in a long time, because I will make sure that jaw of yours tilts to one side. Mssccchhheeeww **rolling my sexy eyes**
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Ihengote: 12:37pm On Dec 03, 2011
Ojukwu the great man,

The feet that stands when others kneel,

The only man who can chant a dead man to life

and play a deaf man to hear.

U will be remembered till Nigeria exist no more
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:37pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

@ Buzugee,  do more research, if tĦere's no one to give u first hand information of the civil war.

@ Alhaji harem, the next time you quote ♍e, I will give you a very dirty slap. One you won't forget in a long time, because I will make sure that jaw of yours tilts to one side. Mssccchhheeeww **rolling my sexy eyes**
i dont need research to know that what he did was treasonous. like i said, i respect the mans strength and bravery. but nevertheless i think his actions and reactions were misplaced. RIP still
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Kay1kay1(m): 12:46pm On Dec 03, 2011
of famine and genocide — an image which, to the frustration of a billion Africans, persists to this day.
Six months later, a violent northern campaign against the , ,

And it repeated itself in coming years under varying guises. Are we truly one nation? Surely our foundation needs restructuring.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by 9jaIhail(m): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
namfav:

in the end he lost to a greater force

GREATER FORCE MEANS NIGERIA FORCES OR BRITISH FORCE OR EGYPT FORCES OR WHICH FORCES WON THE WAR. I CAN'T GET YOUR FACT RIGHT MAYBE SOME ELABORATION WILL HELP.

DULL HEADS
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by GWslim(f): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
Gentleman disobedience though
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Nwaaba1(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2011
Truth Is The Best Weapon To Injustice Ojukwu Is A Hero He Fought For They Betterment Of His People Not Even Only For His People but to they entire southern Entity Called Nigeria. R.I.P
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 12:58pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

As for you, I think you need to do more reseach on the so called first hand story

In fact here is a man named Emeka discussing it to people like you

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816676.0.html

No one was perfect, from Bello, Zik , Awo etc you name it, NO ONE WAS AND IS perfect. People make mistakes due to Naivety, Lack of understanding of the suituation, Immaturity, etc

but Ojukwu on the other hand took it to the next level. I am not here to change your mind on YOUR hero but I would like you to at least know the YOUR hero's mind set, his way of thinking and how he other non-probaifran viewed him

Then put yourself in there shoes and look at it from their individual point of views. When you do that, then you MIGHT have a different prospective.

Kay1kay1:

And it repeated itself in coming years under varying guises. Are we truly one nation? Surely our foundation needs restructuring.

The violence in the North was caused in sabon gari by Igbo traders back then. They were gloating on how they rule the country etc. This sparked up sentiment against them used by extremist they were easy targets.

I am not justifing any killing but I just though I should let you know. The coup DID NOT CAUSE THE KILLING

after the coup, the whole country was quite as it was seen as a military affire regardless of the ethnicity.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by deadie(m): 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2011
Tell me any other leader that is loved by virtually 100% his people.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nex(m): 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2011
"Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's intention was simply to break with a northern Nigerian military dictatorship that was violently discriminating against the south and the east", TO AN EASTERN NIGERIAN MILITARY DICTATORSHIP THAT WOULD BE DISCRIMINATING AGANST ITSELF?!
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Niseamaka(m): 1:38pm On Dec 03, 2011
[quote author=EzeUche BTW, any people have a right to self-determination. It is a God given right, and if a state cannot protect its people, then it is not fit to govern the people. To make it clearly for you, Nigeria could not protect Igbos from the pogroms in the North. Slaughtered tens of thousands would make any group of people ready to secede and form their own nation. Is that hard to comprehend or do I need ot make it simpler? [quote][/quote]

THANKS, MY BIAFRAN BROTHER, EZEUCHE. I FOUND IT UNFATHOMABLE THAT BUZUGEE AND OTHERS LIKE HIM COULD NOT COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACTS YOU POINTED OUT ABOVE. WHEN TENS OF THOUSANDS OF NDIGBO WERE BEING SLAUGHTERED IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY, I WONDER WHAT BUZUGEE AND HIS ILKS EXPECTED THEIR LEADER TO DO. CASTIGATING IKEMBA OR ANY LEADER WHATSOEVER FOR FIGHTING TO PROTECT HIS PEOPLE IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION.

BIAFRA WILL SURELY RISE AGAIN SOMEDAY
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
Niseamaka:

[quote author=EzeUche BTW, any people have a right to self-determination. It is a God given right, and if a state cannot protect its people, then it is not fit to govern the people. To make it clearly for you, Nigeria could not protect Igbos from the pogroms in the North. Slaughtered tens of thousands would make any group of people ready to secede and form their own nation. Is that hard to comprehend or do I need ot make it simpler?

THANKS, MY BIAFRAN BROTHER, EZEUCHE. I FOUND IT UNFATHOMABLE THAT BUZUGEE AND OTHERS LIKE HIM COULD NOT COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACTS YOU POINTED OUT ABOVE. WHEN TENS OF THOUSANDS OF NDIGBO WERE BEING SLAUGHTERED IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY, I WONDER WHAT BUZUGEE AND HIS ILKS EXPECTED THEIR LEADER TO DO. CASTIGATING IKEMBA OR ANY LEADER WHATSOEVER FOR FIGHTING TO PROTECT HIS PEOPLE IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION.

BIAFRA WILL SURELY RISE AGAIN SOMEDAY
biafra will surely rise just as the south will surely rise in america. yeah on ressurection day that is LOL. we all gotta rise to recieve our judgements from yahweh so yeah technically, biafra will surely rise again
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by ak47mann(m): 2:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
Odumegwu-Ojukwu; In an earlier speech to Igbos before joining APGA:

‘I Have Paid My Dues,’ he had stated: “For you (Ndigbo), I abandoned all ease and embraced pain. For you, I impoverished myself to buy your protection. For you I walked every battlefront to assure your welfare. For you I stood when every other person crouched. For you I endured 13 years of bitter exile. For you I endured 10 months of maximum security prison. For you I embraced priestly poverty. For you I continue to struggle…What I have said is not harsh, it is only the Unclad truth and it reflects only the intensity of the love I habour for my people.”

And in return, he wanted their votes to continue the struggle, which endeared him to Ndigbo as always! cool cool

VERY TOUCHING cry cry
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by speak2me: 2:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
thats our man of d decade
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2011
When the moment came Ojukwu answered the the call. His personal indiscipline and self aggrandisement however led to a disastrous result for all of Nigeria. The consequence of the loss of the war was devastating for the whole of Southern Nigeria.

The ascendancy of the Northern military oligarchy will trow Nigeria into internal colonialism and permanently reverse and scuttle what might have emerged as one of the greatest emergent nations in modern times.

Nigerian should seize this moment to revisit Aburi conference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Radio Biafra 97.6fm In Owerri!!! / Ekiti Orders Re-certification Of Fuel Stations / Abubakar Malami Denies NDDC Bribe Allegation, Calls For Exposure Of Culprits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.