Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,718 members, 7,813,365 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel (9823 Views)

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu / Very Interesting: America's Secret Files On Ojukwu. / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Ojukwu's Demise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by occam(m): 3:42pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Even the foreign men who wrote these articles have more knowledge about Nigeria than you, which is actually sad. Ojukwu supported Nigerian and he was a federalist. The man was against secession, but he had to listen to the will of the people in the former Eastern Region. He was a reluctant leader. Ojukwu had nothing to gain from secession. His father's business was conducted throughout Nigeria. That meant his family lost much, because of the secession. Did you know Ojukwu at that time, was often accused by Igbos as not wanting secession in the beginning?

History is looking favorable on Ojukwu. He did not wish for war. If you know anything about Aburi, Gowon reneged on his promise. Ojukwu had to play the cards that he was dealt.
If he was against the secessionist strugglr, he should have taken the path of honour and resign as leader of Eastern Region. Alterantivley, continued to advocate his preferred vision of federalism. You don't lead your people to war if you don't believe in it.

And BTW, was there a referendum to determine the will of the people? Declaring war is a very serious issue and leaders of great vision will always choose peace and dialogue over war
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by occam(m): 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2011
ak47mann:

Odumegwu-Ojukwu; In an earlier speech to Igbos before joining APGA:

‘I Have Paid My Dues,’ he had stated: “For you (Ndigbo), I abandoned all ease and embraced pain. For you, I impoverished myself to buy your protection. For you I walked every battlefront to assure your welfare. For you I stood when every other person crouched. For you I endured 13 years of bitter exile. For you I endured 10 months of maximum security prison. For you I embraced priestly poverty. For you I continue to struggle…What I have said is not harsh, it is only the Unclad truth and it reflects only the intensity of the love I habour for my people.”

And in return, he wanted their votes to continue the struggle, which endeared him to Ndigbo as always! cool cool

VERY TOUCHING  cry cry
this statement confrims the egocentric personality of Odumegwu Ojukwu
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by pazienza(m): 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2011
occam:

If he was against the secessionist strugglr, he should have taken the path of honour and resign as leader of Eastern Region. Alterantivley, continued to advocate his preferred vision of federalism. You don't lead your people to war if you don't believe in it.

And BTW, was there a referendum to determine the will of the people? Declaring war is a very serious issue and leaders of great vision will always choose peace and dialogue over war

This is a clear case of crying more than the bereaved, if gowon was for the unity of the country,he should have handed over to Ogundipe,he should not have renege on the aburi accord,talk of a poor illiterate power hungry man who refused to hand over to a civilian regime like he promised.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by europe76(m): 5:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
Ojukwu is one of the most outstanding greatest hero in Nigeria, whether u like it or not. Ikemba of Nnewi RIP. The dugged fight u fought just to salvage ur people will never be in vain. Ur spirit is still with us even in death and ONE DAY Biafra must STAND.
Adieu!!! Gburugburu ndi Igbo. We will never have anyone in Igbo race who will fit in ur shoes. MAY UR SOUL REST IN BOSSOM OF OUR LORD, Amen!

I suggest that all south eastern governors should introduce a course called OJU 101 for tertiary institution and OJU Studies for primary schools.
This will help our next generation to know the true story about Biafra.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by cheikh: 5:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee
it would have been in the man and the[b] nations[/b] interest to fight a war of inclusion and not a war of secession. he would then be viewed favorably by history and by all.

@^^ bolded- That's a classic sentiment of an insensitive, cowardly and timid African who refuses to understand the meaning of Genocide/ massacre. It was an actual mind set/policy of the northern Nigerian soldiers at that time. It's obvious you'll never appreciate the enormity of the problem called "Nigeria". We do not have a nation yet. We have consciously and actively refused to have a so called conversation as to how we cobble up a semblance of a nation fit for purpose. Perhaps if you survive a massacre [/b]by those who want to maintain the hegemony over the rest of the country in the name of "one Nigeria", you'll understand why it's impossible to be 'unemotional' or even "objective" about anything Nigerian. I guess you'll understand the Jewish stridency about their 'national/peoples' security and Paul kagame's(Rwanda) strident and a times authoritarian actions. 'Democracy' does not always solve all of our problems hence "Wars are necessary" and we cannot abdicate our responsibility because some of us may die in warfare. It's best to die honourably than to sit and die like a slave. It's not everything we can pseudo-intellectualise because [b]reality is very objective and personal indeed.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Ivynwa(f): 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2011
MAXIMUM RESPECT to man Ojukwu. He will forever be in our hearts. How do one begin to forget such a courageous manHow?

"The Man died in him who kept silent in the face of tyranny" Ojukwu is a trillion times a man and the man that he is lives forever,
even when his body is no more there. He is a man for standin
g up to tyranny, he did not fight for nothing. Is it not the same tyrannists he fought that are still falling on all of us the southerners and killing us (the Genocide is here in full force) even when so many of us are ignoring it and looking the other way.
It was true Ojukwu did not succeed with his secession plans because he was betrayed by the very persons he was defending but he made an effort to stand up for himself and for his people, for that he is loved and will never be forgotten.Ojukwu is not dead, only his body was shed away. Ojukwu is alive in the hearts of some of us that detest the tyranny still going on in Nigeria.
OJUKWU LIVES! EZIGBO NNAM OCHIE! EBUBE DIKE! THERE IS NO END FOR GREAT MINDS LKE YOU.
People can rant on and on all they want but nothing changes this fact.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 7:23pm On Dec 03, 2011
cheikh:

buzugee 

@^^ bolded-  That's a classic sentiment of an insensitive, cowardly and timid African who refuses to understand the meaning of Genocide/ massacre. It was an actual mind set/policy of the northern Nigerian soldiers at that time. It's obvious you'll never appreciate the enormity of the problem called "Nigeria". We do not have a nation yet.  We have consciously and actively refused to have a so called conversation as to how we cobble up a semblance of a nation fit for purpose. Perhaps if you survive a massacre [/b]by those who want to maintain the hegemony over the rest of the country in the name of "one Nigeria", you'll understand why it's impossible to be 'unemotional' or even "objective" about anything Nigerian. I guess you'll understand the Jewish stridency about their 'national/peoples' security and Paul kagame's(Rwanda) strident and a times authoritarian actions.  'Democracy' does not always solve all of our problems hence "Wars are necessary" and we cannot abdicate our responsibility because some of us may die in warfare. It's best to die honourably than to sit and die like a slave. It's not everything we can pseudo-intellectualise because [b]reality is very objective and personal indeed.

if you think the ikemba gave up a life of luxury and comfort to fight for the plebeian ndigbo man on the street then i have a bridge in brooklyn i want to sell to you.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 7:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
Like I said Buzugee, your statement are not being seen as objective. Maybe you should learn the definition of objective before using a term that does not describe you. I have noticed that problem with Nigerians. They have a hard time understanding the definitions of words. Therefore, I am going to give you the definition should I can provide light to your ignorance.

Objective Opinion - Dictionary

1. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Now Buzugee, reread your statements and see if they appear to be objective. Compare it with the various articles that have been written about Ojukwu by foreign reporters and experts. A Nigerian will always have BIASED opinion about Ojukwu. A person who has no relation to Nigeria, can look through a more objective lens.

While we are at it, let me provide you with some more definitions that you have a hard time comprehending.

Self-Determination -

1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
2. Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Ivynwa(f): 7:33pm On Dec 03, 2011
alj_harem:

Great injustice you say ?

There is not greater injustice than Ojukwu wasting 3 million lives and coming back to contest as president from the same Country he wasted 3 million lives on.

That to me is the greatest INSULT OJUKWU gave to your family and those pro-baifran.

or am i saying rubbish ?
Brother this ranting of yours is the height of it all, what should Ojukwu have done??-----fold his hand and watch his people get maltreated like you and your faggotty people are still doing to all of us and when we stand up for ourselves to say that we don't want to be one country with you guys you will quickly accuse us of wanting oil for ourselves even with the tears in our eyes over the thousands you and your ignorant brothers just killed less than 24 hours ago. Of course I am referring to your vomits in this thread  
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=797093.msg9489494#msg9489494

If there are persons wasting lives in Nigeria it is your likes and the likes of your people that hide behind religious hatred, ignorant street boy groups, political groups to kill and maim millions of Nigerians monthly if not weekly. Such are the shameful ones that dwell in our country and are daily making us laughing stock before the world and you have the foolish audacity to point fingers at Ojukwu. How dare freaking silly you?? How long should we remain acting decent decent that fools like all of you will be taking us for a ride, I can't remember ever talking to any person here in NL like this but right now I am fed up with what you guys are doing and with people like you that knows the wrong your people are doing and laughing and making fun of it all when it is humans being killed and decimated slowly. What other type of genocide are we still waiting for from you guys? Silly!
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Like I said Buzugee, your statement are not being seen as objective. Maybe you should learn the definition of objective before using a term that does not describe you. I have noticed that problem with Nigerians. They have a hard time understanding the definitions of words. Therefore, I am going to give you the definition should I can provide light to your ignorance.

Objective Opinion - Dictionary

1. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Now Buzugee, reread your statements and see if they appear to be objective. Compare it with the various articles that have been written about Ojukwu by foreign reporters and experts. A Nigerian will always have  BIASED opinion about Ojukwu. A person who has no relation to Nigeria, can look through a more objective lens.

While we are at it, let me provide you with some more definitions that you have a hard time comprehending.

Self-Determination -

1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
2. Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.

LOL i guess we shall have to agree to disagree on the concept of 'objectivity'. i have no gripe against the man. but it cannot be overlooked that he was treasonous.
lets see the meaning of treason

trea·son   [tree-zuhn]  Show IPA
noun
the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by namfav(m): 7:39pm On Dec 03, 2011
does time magazine even know that ojukwu came back and run for presidency of nigeria? generally a 'great mans ideology never dies, but ojukwu died without the biafran ideology, that he spend years trying to achieve at the cost of lives, went to uk with a nigerian passport, the praise he gets is based on nothing substantial, all people standing up to ojukwu have to realise that the biafra legacy is dead, and it died more than 20 years ago
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Onlytruth(m): 7:42pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

LOL i guess we shall have to agree to disagree on the concept of 'objectivity'. i have no gripe against the man. but it cannot be overlooked that he was treasonous.
lets see the meaning of treason

trea·son   [tree-zuhn]  Show IPA
noun
the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.  -Gowon/Murtala
a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state. -Gowon/Murtala (after killing Ironsi and allowing innocent Igbos to be killed in Northern Nigeria)
the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery. -Gowon after signing Aburi Accord

Ojukwu never committed any of these, rather he "committed" SELF DETERMINATION which is legal in international law.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2011
I really love the title for this article from Time Magazine.

The Gentleman Rebel

I am glad foreigners are able to speak the truth, while many Nigerians are afraid to hear the truth. History is looking favorably on the Ikemba as we speak. He will always have the love and admiration of his people. God bless Ojukwu and God bless Biafra!
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

Ojukwu never committed any of these, rather he "committed" SELF DETERMINATION which is legal in international law.

Let me provide information for that ignorant child Buzugee who doesn't understand that self-determination is found in Article 1 of the Charter of the United Nations for all to see.

Article 1

The Purposes of the United Nations are:

1. To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;

2. To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;

3. To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and

4. To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2011
i wish ojukwu had succeeded. only then will his true intentions have blossomed. i liken his exploits to that of a musician who died at their prime. they are so idolized. e. g jimi hendrix, tupac, biggie, kurt cobain, jfk, martin luther king, malcom x, john lennon etc etc. when you die at the peak of your potential people idolize you immensely. but if you had grown up to be what you would be and beyond that, people see you for what you are and ignore you. for example elizabeth taylor. idolized as a youth for her beauty. then she got older and older and became this crazy drunk fat woman. the whole world turned off her after that. if like marilyn monroe she had died at the peak of her beauty, she would forever be revered. this is the same case with ojukwus exploits. had he succeeded i dont doubt that you would have seen the emergence of a megalomaniac and his cronies who would be dictators and would enrich themselves. just like any other black leaders really. then all these adulations would have vanished.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 7:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

self determination to secede ?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Let me provide information for that ignorant child Buzugee who doesn't understand that self-determination is found in Article 1 of the Charter of the United Nations for all to see.

Article 1

The Purposes of the United Nations are:

1. To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;

2. To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;

3. To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and

4. To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
LOL Ezeuche, self detrmination to commit rape would be frowned upon. self determination to be the nino brown of nigeria will be frowned upon. 'self determination' is an ambiguous phrase. self determination within itself is not wrong. its what you are self determined to do that will determine if you are right or wrong.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 8:00pm On Dec 03, 2011
you guys have an adulation for the 'what could have been'
you have adulation for an illusion
this is all you have an adulation for.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

you guys have an adulation for the 'what could have been'
you have adulation for an illusion
this is all you have an adulation for.

If that is your "objective" opinion, so be it. The Igbos will continue to adore the man and nothing can take that away from him. You would never understand that, because you are not Igbo. To be loved by ones people is the highest gift anyone can be received and he will always be remembered by his people. A perfect tribute to his greatness. Ojukwu the Great. The leader of a united Igbo.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

If that is your "objective" opinion, so be it. The Igbos will continue to adore the man and nothing can take that away from him. You would never understand that, because you are not Igbo. To be loved by ones people is the highest gift anyone can be received and he will always be remembered by his people. A perfect tribute to his greatness. Ojukwu the Great. The leader of a united Igbo.
Oh but my brother you are fishing in shallow pool. The whole black world is my people and i have love and adulation for all my black brothers like malcolm x, nat turner, toussaint louverture, lumumba, mandela, steve biko, All these are my people. i am fishing in deep sea
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

Oh but my brother you are fishing in shallow pool. The whole black world is my people and i have love and adulation for all my black brothers like malcolm x, nat turner, toussaint louverture, lumumba, mandela, steve biko, All these are my people. i am fishing in deep sea

The shallow pool is what is close to my house. There is a prized fish that can be found in this shallow pool, which can nourish the village. However, we keep that fish since it is our most prized possession. When I am in need of a great quantity of fish, I go to the majestic river that is farther away, to feed my village. Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

The shallow pool is what is close to my house. There is a prized fish that can be found in this shallow pool, which can nourish the village. However, we keep that fish since it is our most prized possession. When I am in need of a great quantity of fish, I go to the majestic river that is farther away, to feed my village. Do you understand what I am trying to say?
yes you are trying to say that you are a fisherman by profession grin
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 8:34pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

yes you are trying to say that you are a fisherman by profession grin

Well the good Lord told us to follow him and be fishers of men. smiley
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 8:43pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Well the good Lord told us to follow him and be fishers of men. smiley
he sure did LOL.anyway when we slice dice and toss it all up, bottom-line is ojukwu is a great man. of that we can both agree
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by DDN: 8:50pm On Dec 03, 2011
please, take a breath-how many Easterners were killed before Ojukwu declared the republic of Biafara?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Onlytruth(m): 8:56pm On Dec 03, 2011
DDN:

please, take a breath-how many Easterners were killed before Ojukwu declared the republic of Biafara?

Between 50,000 and 100,000.

Now shoot.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 9:10pm On Dec 03, 2011
Ivynwa:

Brother this ranting of yours is the height of it all, what should Ojukwu have done??-----fold his hand and watch his people get maltreated like you and your faggotty people are still doing to all of us and when we stand up for ourselves to say that we don't want to be one country with you guys you will quickly accuse us of wanting oil for ourselves even with the tears in our eyes over the thousands you and your ignorant brothers just killed less than 24 hours ago. Of course I am referring to your vomits in this thread  
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=797093.msg9489494#msg9489494

If there are persons wasting lives in Nigeria it is your likes and the likes of your people that hide behind religious hatred, ignorant street boy groups, political groups to kill and maim millions of Nigerians monthly if not weekly. Such are the shameful ones that dwell in our country and are daily making us laughing stock before the world and you have the foolish audacity to point fingers at Ojukwu. How dare freaking silly you?? How long should we remain acting decent decent that fools like all of you will be taking us for a ride, I can't remember ever talking to any person here in NL like this but right now I am fed up with what you guys are doing and with people like you that knows the wrong your people are doing and laughing and making fun of it all when it is humans being killed and decimated slowly. What other type of genocide are we still waiting for from you guys? Silly!

I guess you don't know my position.

Ok I would make it clear,

The killing of any Nigerian be it igbo or yoruba is very bad and I DO NOT SUPPORT it in any form or way.

Why do you think I would support any killing ?

Ojukwu just took advantage of the situation in my own opinion by saying genocide which never occured. Ok do your maths, killing in the north

30,000 = war 3 million only for the cause to be lost again

It is wrong.

Trying to be sensitive here

I hope the Igbo nation can forgive Nigerians and let us move on with Nigeria. I know majority of Igbos have moved on but some like Ezeuche (Bigot) still hold resentment for other Nigerian. Hope he can see reason.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Onlytruth(m): 9:14pm On Dec 03, 2011
alj_harem:

I guess you don't know my position.

Ok I would make it clear,

The killing of any Nigerian be it igbo or yoruba is very bad and I DO NOT SUPPORT it in any form or way.

Why do you think I would support any killing ?

Ojukwu just took advantage of the situation in my own opinion by saying genocide which never occured. Ok do your maths, killing in the north

30,000 = war 3 million only for the cause to be lost again

It is wrong.

Trying to be sensitive here

I hope the Igbo nation can forgive Nigerians and let us move on with Nigeria. I know majority of Igbos have moved on but some like Ezeuche (Bigot) still hold resentment for other Nigerian. Hope he can see reason.

I want to ask you a question, which other tribe in Nigeria has lost between 30,000 -100,000 in a period of 6 months in the history of Nigeria?
You want us to move on, but you keep blaming the man who stood between your knives/guns and the rest of us.
You must really think we are foools frankly.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 9:29pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

I want to ask you a question, which other tribe in Nigeria has lost between 30,000 -100,000 in a period of 6 months in the history of Nigeria?
You want us to move on, but you keep blaming the man who stood between your knives/guns and the rest of us.
You must really think we are foools frankly.

To be frank Never in my life have I thought of Igbos as fooools. In fact we have a saying for smart people called "Igboman sense" I am sure you know of it, right

I view them as one of the most intelligent Nigerians until I hit Nairaland with like of Nchara. Needless to say It has not changed my views of the wonderful Igbo people.

Yes not other ethnic group has lost 30,000 in 6 months, It was indeed a sad and worrisome event that took place in Nigeria that time. In fact I admire the igbos for getting up after all that, that is the true

Now my point here is that, you cannot keep blaming the north and west for every woe that happens in the country. It is not easy to forget I am not disputing that but blaming them only makes matter worse.

Ojukwu was more or less an opportunist that saw all that and thought to himself to grab power. I mean why declear baifra immediatly

You could as well have formed a militant group and protect your people insisted of declearly Baifra and taking the SS with him. Does that make sense.

No

History cannot vindicate Ojukwu at all for the lost of 3 million lifes from both Nigeria and Biafra. NO WAY nwanne

The circumstances back then was that Ojukwu was YOUNG, about 36 or so and wanted to be the president after the death of Ironsi.

I guess we can agree to disagree, Ojukwu is loved today not because of the civil war but desperation for an Icon.

If a neutral ask you, that what was Ojukwu achievement for Igbos, what would be your answer ?

that he protected Igbos from the pogroms in the north and ended up lossing 3 million ?

let me remind you that before the war, the political class and economic class was situated in such a way that the yorubas and SS (apart from ibibios) were marginalised in all things

from civil worker, oil, politics , military you name it. They were margianlsised that did not mean they should declear secession.

So i don't still get this Ojukwu a hero thing. Maybe I would never get,because I have tried to put myself in your shoes and and don't still see the point.

Maybe you can explain to me more.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Onlytruth(m): 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2011
alj_harem:

let me remind you that before the war, the political class and economic class was situated in such a way that the yorubas and SS (apart from ibibios) were marginalised in all things

from civil worker, oil, politics , military  you name it. They were margianlsised that did not mean they should declear secession.

So i don't still get this Ojukwu a hero thing. Maybe I would never get,because I have tried to put myself in your shoes and and don't still see the point.

Maybe you can explain to me more.

So, now Yorubas and "SS" were the victims of "Igbo domination" before the war?
I really pity any minority of the SS that falls into your dubious,snaky and treacherous hands.
I just saw the list of those benefiting from oil subsidy. It turned out they are 90% Yoruba companies.
I wish them (some SS folks) luck with you guys. lol
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 9:38pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth why are you arguing with a fool? 

The unbiased article is for all to see. The rantings of a madman who has no credibility should not make you lose sleep. History is already looking favorably at Ojukwu and his actions. He is being vindicated daily as we speak.

The Economist and The Times has made favorable references to Ojukwu and have stated that he has been vindicated. No need to fret.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by aljharem3: 9:41pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

So, now Yorubas and "SS" were the victims of "Igbo domination" before the war?
I really pity any minority of the SS that falls into your dubious,snaky and treacherous hands.
I just saw the list of those benefiting from oil subsidy. It turned out they are 90% Yoruba companies.
I wish them (some SS folks) luck with you guys. lol

Look i think it is everyones choice

The oil subsidy benefit are majority yorubas as SO ?

was the oil blocks not sold to them or were they given for free ?

Is this not the same PDP government Yorubas were fighting against ?

Or should I take your land just because you brought it in abuja and it so happens that it contains gold.

You people and your tribalsitic views. Na wa o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Government Donates 29 Vehicles To Security Team (Photos) / Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron / El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.