Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,781 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu (748 Views)

Lucky Igbinedion's Son Graduates From China University With Top Honors (Photo) / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu by aloyemeka1: 11:52pm On Dec 02, 2011
[size=14pt]Achebe, Igbo abroad honour Ojukwu, make souvenir[/size]
on DECEMBER 2, 2011 · in SPECIAL REPORT

Literary icon Prof Chinua Achebe has promised to roll out some of the most sophisticated insights on Biafra and Ojukwu and his role in Biafra as a benefitting tribute to the ex Biafran leader.

In a statement through his son Chidi to Saturday Vanguard, the message said, “We must be patient and wait for Prof Achebe’s new book There was a country: A personal history of Biafra which you will see contains some of the most sophisticated analysis and insights on Biafra, Ojukwu and his role in Biafra. I can think of no more fitting tribute than telling the truth about Biafra for posterity.”

Indeed, the three great personalities of the war had met at the Chinua Achebe Colloquium last year. They were Ojukwu, Achebe described as the most articulate of the civil war and Wole Soyinka who was jailed in Nigeria for negotiating peace with Biafra by then head of state Gen Yakubu Gowon.

In the United Kingdom, and elsewhere, memorial websites have been opened for Ojukwu. One of the sites is in the UK listing areas necessary for the memorial, its links to news on Ojukwu and Igbo among others.

In the USA, Prof. Olu Oguibe one the most influential artists and art historians from Africa, has designed a memorabilia for Ojukwu and is on sale on eBay. On his facebook wall, Oguibe wrote, “ I’ve just made these for those who’d like to wear our pride and grief on the sleeve! Wish I could make them more special, but I’m way too busy at the moment with deadlines and last minute changes to God’s Transistor Radio. Buttons are available now on eBay for those living in the contiguous US. For compatriots and friends elsewhere (Nigerians, Biafrans, Africans, Others), hopefully you can find one where you live.”
Also on Facebook, several groups doing one thing or another have come up, all displaying Ojukwu and his life or using the Biafra images. In fact, many African and Nigerian websites are abuzz with accounts and news of Ojukwu. It is perhaps the biggest thing on the internet today.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/achebe-igbo-abroad-honour-ojukwu-make-souvenir/
Re: Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu by realchange: 12:34am On Dec 03, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Achebe, Igbo abroad honour Ojukwu, make souvenir[/size]
on DECEMBER 2, 2011 · in SPECIAL REPORT

Literary icon Prof Chinua Achebe has promised to roll out some of the most sophisticated insights on Biafra and Ojukwu and his role in Biafra as a benefitting tribute to the ex Biafran leader.

In a statement through his son Chidi to Saturday Vanguard, the message said, “We must be patient and wait for Prof Achebe’s new book There was a country: A personal history of Biafra which you will see contains some of the most sophisticated analysis and insights on Biafra, Ojukwu and his role in Biafra. I can think of no more fitting tribute than telling the truth about Biafra for posterity.”

Indeed, the three great personalities of the war had met at the Chinua Achebe Colloquium last year. They were Ojukwu, Achebe described as the most articulate of the civil war and Wole Soyinka who was jailed in Nigeria for negotiating peace with Biafra by then head of state Gen Yakubu Gowon.

In the United Kingdom, and elsewhere, memorial websites have been opened for Ojukwu. One of the sites is in the UK listing areas necessary for the memorial, its links to news on Ojukwu and Igbo among others.

In the USA, Prof. Olu Oguibe one the most influential artists and art historians from Africa, has designed a memorabilia for Ojukwu and is on sale on eBay. On his facebook wall, Oguibe wrote, “ I’ve just made these for those who’d like to wear our pride and grief on the sleeve! Wish I could make them more special, but I’m way too busy at the moment with deadlines and last minute changes to God’s Transistor Radio. Buttons are available now on eBay for those living in the contiguous US. For compatriots and friends elsewhere (Nigerians, Biafrans, Africans, Others), hopefully you can find one where you live.”
Also on Facebook, several groups doing one thing or another have come up, all displaying Ojukwu and his life or using the Biafra images. In fact, many African and Nigerian websites are abuzz with accounts and news of Ojukwu.[size=14pt] It is perhaps the biggest thing on the internet today.[/size]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/achebe-igbo-abroad-honour-ojukwu-make-souvenir/

i would not be shocked if that is the case. the ikemba is making huge waves ~~~~~~~~~ cool
Re: Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu by HighChief4(m): 3:52am On Dec 03, 2011
They forgot to include Nairaland, almost all the topics on NL these days are about the Hero Ikemba.
Re: Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu by Nobody: 4:05am On Dec 03, 2011
First, it was Ojukwu who promised book on civil war, nothing was published!
What insights? Achebe should save us or perhaps stop the drama and simply publish the book!
Re: Achebe, Oguibe Honors Ojukwu by chino11(m): 9:43am On Dec 03, 2011
^

Who is Yoruba cave man? All the yoroobas stuck together does not make one Achebe brain, so he is not like an usual Yoruba fools, got that?

Back to Topic: My friends in US,UK, Canada are all testifying on the traffic Ojukwu's news is causing in that region. Truly a giant has fallen, the black race may not have another Ojukwu in generations to come.

(1) (Reply)

Chidi Achebe Receives Martin Luther King Social Justice Award / Abia State Govt Has Got Off To A Full Leap With Numerous Projects / What A President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.