Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Atheism: The “No-God” Religion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism: The “No-God” Religion (10557 Views)

Athiesm The "No God" Religion / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) / Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Here we go again, the brand on a watch doesn't prove that the watch was created, all it proves is that the creator decided to put his brand on it (why is this so difficult for you?).

lol. so your god decided not to put a trademark on his universe?

Mr_Anony:
The evidence for creation for any object is order. The universe is far too orderly and far too intelligent to occur randomly

Don't talk about the order while ignoring the chaos. And if you think it's orderly, then you must also know the purpose. This is when you introduce your god as the source of the order.

1 Like

Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mr_Anony:
If there is God and one of the many must be the true God, then consider:
None of the adherents of other gods have made such a claim as this: That God came to the earth in the flesh (not in a time before time but in verifiable time)

What is the time before time? Your god is not the only one to have come to earth either. Infact during the greeks' time(verifiable time), their gods lived close to them on Mount Olympus.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by DeepSight(m): 6:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
Martian:

lol. so your god decided not to put a trademark on his universe?

Either that, or you willfully refuse to see the giant trademarks hanging everywhere!
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
Deep Sight:
Either that, or you willfully refuse to see the giant trademarks hanging everywhere!

So you and Anony both have the same God? Where are the giant trademarks hanging everywhere?

Maybe you need to confer with anony so y'all can decide which trademarks y'all will present for the extraphysical oneness of inifnity.

The trademark for THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN is a midget. Everytime you see a midget, you see "the form" of THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by MrAnony1(m): 7:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
Idehn:

The watchmaker analogy is a common/(not to mention old) argument which has been criticized throughout its history. The way you are using it is particularly abusive, because you are using a complex object that is easily identifiable as being designed(by man particularly) and equivocating it with another complex object(the Universe). After all how many universe factories have you ever heard of? I know several ipad factories in china and in fact the serial number can tell you where and when your ipad was manufactured. You should take a look at the wiki page for the various criticism/rebuttals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy. To your last point answer this. Do you recognize that humans are made of physical material called matter? Do you recognize that ipad are also composed of physical material called matter? Do you recognize that it was one organization of physical matter(human) that caused another organization of physical matter(ipad) to be? If the answer is yes to all then you are in agreement with the Martian.

As to your teleological argument, I am afraid that it is a mess of incoherency. You speak of causality as the motivation for necessitating that there be a first cause(not that I agree on this point). Yet, you then proceed to remove the first cause from a time and space. Surely you must understand that the argument from causation necessitates that all steps be within a time/space framework? For example, the meaning/concept behind the word "cause"(along with every other verb) is entirely informed by a framework of time and space. It is not at all clear what you mean when you say "X" caused/es/ing? "Y" outside of time and space. But, of course that is an incoherent statement because I am talking about X as if it were an "event" that took place within time. By your definition it most certainly did(another word that requires time) not. So using words/concepts like cause/effect/event/does/did/actions are entirely inappropriate considering how you defined first cause.

The trouble I see with your argument it that you are trying to say A=/=B and yet turning around and talking as if A=B. Essentially, you are saying the first cause is outside time/space and then proceeding to "borrow" concepts from time and space to explain it. That does not make any sense. If A is outside of time and space, then it is entirely inappropriate/incoherent/illogical to use things that exist within time and space to explain it. I believe this is what Martian has been trying to tell you all along.

Idehn,

About cause and effect, if you trace it back to a first cause at the beginning, that cause must be uncaused. Consider the classic chicken and egg scenario. When you trace back to the first egg, it must not be laid by a chicken. Something else must have brought it about or else it came from nothing and we know that nothing comes from nothing.

Perhaps i use a lot of analogies that people get lost in them sometimes. All I have been saying is this if the universe has a definite origin, then whatever it originated from i.e. whatever brought it to be must not be subject to the mechanisms by which the universe operates rather must transcend them.

If you say the big bang was when time, matter, and space came to be - unless you say that the big bang came from nothing - whatever it came from must be timeless, spaceless, and immaterial. There are only two things we know that fit that description,
1. abstracts such as numbers and forms
2. a personal mind.

We know that abstracts such as numbers do not cause anything but a mind does.

Further evidence that the universe is not a random occurrence is evident in the level of order and precision that we can observe in the universe. The high level of precision and detail in the universe points more than anything else to the existence of a designer.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by MrAnony1(m): 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2012
Martian:

And you read all these in your religious book. I can also tell you about Muhammad(who's historicity has been confirmed unlike Iesous) and his holy book. Because apart from the bible, there is no other source for this jesus fellow under than the grasping at straws when apologists start looking for any word that resembles "kristos" in ancient historical texts.You forget that the bible is a compilation of books by different authors

What are these "christian" values people didn't possess until your religion existed? What is the way of christ and what makes it exclusive to christ? At least you still cannot fault His way

My book of Bible stories.

The resurrection only occured in the bible. Again the bible is a compilation by different writers and not an account by one man, and no one of that time contested the testimony of the apostles, it was common knowledge. A miracle yes but these people knew it to be true.

So it seems the bible is your evidence that your god is real. The evidence that my God is real is actually that I exist but i know you can't understand that

Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2012
^^^^^
What makes you think I regard jesus' way to be ideal. For all I care, the beatitudes are nothing but inane supernatural platitudes that have contributed to the overinflated egos of christians

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(poverty of mind, wealth,etc is cool as long as you know that sugarcandy Mountain heaven awaits you)

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
(No sh#t!!......maybe the comfort is another allusion to la la land heaven)

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
(The earth that the dragon will fling stars into? I thought the meek are supposed to goto heaven anyway)

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
(platitude that means, "blessed are those who believe in my bullsh#t)

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
(i guess men didn't know the meaning of mercy before jesus........ a better "beautitude" would have been, "practice mercy when it is prudent"

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.
(bla bla bla god)

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
(bla bla bla...attribute virtue to god)

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
the number 1 platitude that gives christians the motivation to be hardheaded uncompromising ideologues. If you oppose them,even for their own good, they will think they are being "blessed for being persecuted for the sake of righteousness)
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by MrAnony1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
Martian: ^^^^^
What makes you think I regard jesus way to be ideal. For all I care, the beatitudes are nothing but inane supernatural platitudes that has contrbuted to the inflated ego of christianity.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(poverty of mind, wealth,etc is cool as long as you know that sugarcandy Mountain awaits you)

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
(No sh#t!!......maybe the comfort is another allusion to la la land heaven)

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
(The earth that the dragon will fling stars into? I thought the meek are supposed to goto heaven anyway)

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
(platitude that means, "blessed are those who believe in my bullsh#t)

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
(i guess men didn't know the meaning of mercy before jesus........ a better "beautitude" would have been, "practice mercy when it is prudent"

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.
(bla bla bla god)

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
(bla bla bla...attribute virtue to god)

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
the number 1 platitude that gives christians the motivation to be hardheaded uncompromising ideologues. If you oppose them,even for their own good, theywill think they are being "blessed for being persecuted for the sake of righteousness)

May God forgive you. You can move along now.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mr_Anony: May God forgive you. You can move along now.

lol
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by logicboy: 8:29pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mr_Anony: May God forgive you. You can move along now.

Is that all you can say when your source of morals can be debunked
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by MrAnony1(m): 8:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
logicboy:

Is that all you can say when your source of morals can be debunked
Debunked Certainly not! I Just didn't want to continue. It is tedious work debating someone so headstrong and because I don't want to repeat the process, I say to you as well: Please move along and may God forgive you too...........in advance
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 02, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Idehn,

About cause and effect, if you trace it back to a first cause at the beginning, that cause must be uncaused.

Yes, if you assert that there is a first cause then it by definition must not have a cause. However, in order to be part of a causal chain it must still be within time. Otherwise, you cannot claim it is a cause at all.

Mr_Anony:
Consider the classic chicken and egg scenario. When you trace back to the first egg, it must not be laid by a chicken. Something else must have brought it about or else it came from nothing and we know that nothing comes from nothing.
Again even the cause of the first egg is still within the framework of time and space. It would be no more logical to conclude that the first cause of the universe is outside time and space, than it would be to conclude that the cause of the first egg(or any other first for that matter) was outside time and space. I must also add that an infinite causal chain also satisfies this criterion that nothing can come from nothing.

Mr_Anony:
Perhaps i use a lot of analogies that people get lost in them sometimes. All I have been saying is this if the universe has a definite origin, then whatever it originated from i.e. whatever brought it to be must not be subject to the mechanisms by which the universe operates rather must transcend them.

Analogies are completely inappropriate because there is nothing like what you are claiming. No physical analogy/description/concept/definition can ever be applied/used to explain something that is not physical. If you are going to say A is nothing like B (A=/=B) then that is fine. But it does not make any sense for you to turn around and proceed to describe/define/conceptualize B entirely in terms of A as if A==B. That is being inconsistent and is making your argument incoherent. You cannot have it both ways.

Mr_Anony:
If you say the big slam was when time, matter, and space came to be - unless you say that the big slam came from nothing - whatever it came from must be timeless, spaceless, and immaterial. There are only two things we know that fit that description,
1. abstracts such as numbers and forms
2. a personal mind.

The big b.ang theory details the expansion of the Universe from a singularity. It assumes that there was a universe already there to expand from and that all the scientific principles that currently apply to the Universe were valid then. No one knows what came before the singularity. For all we know, it could have just been a Universe that had just collapsed into a singularity. Furthermore, concepts/ideas are still physical objects. They are a specific organization of neurons in the brain. The mind is also contained within the brain although the specifics are still yet to be understood. All the things you are describing are physical components of a nervous system.

Mr_Anony:
Further evidence that the universe is not a random occurrence is evident in the level of order and precision that we can observe in the universe. The high level of precision and detail in the universe points more than anything else to the existence of a designer.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to say that the Universe could have been something else than what it is? If so than how do you know this?
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 8:55pm On Jun 02, 2012
Buddhism is a "No God" religion, not atheism.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by MrAnony1(m): 8:45am On Jun 03, 2012
Idehn:

Yes, if you assert that there is a first cause then it by definition must not have a cause. However, in order to be part of a causal chain it must still be within time. Otherwise, you cannot claim it is a cause at all.

Again even the cause of the first egg is still within the framework of time and space. It would be no more logical to conclude that the first cause of the universe is outside time and space, than it would be to conclude that the cause of the first egg(or any other first for that matter) was outside time and space. I must also add that an infinite causal chain also satisfies this criterion that nothing can come from nothing.

Now Causality does not refer to time as time actually is. Causality refers to time as a sequence (where time can go on infinitely) and hence we have a before and after. Time on the other hand is a dimension by which we describe our universe. For instance we know that it takes 8 minutes for light to get from the sun to the earth so the sun we see now is as it was 8 minutes ago. Now assuming we had some means other means of communicating faster than light, "time" would be faster and we would see the "future" hence time is an illusion we use to make sense of sequences. For all we know, the universe might as well be described as an infinite* number of frames on a static plane and light runs this frames so that we have a sequence. (this is a very simple way of looking at it but I'm sure you get the idea)
How can one say that time started with the big bang without acknowledging that there must exist something outside the confines of time

Analogies are completely inappropriate because there is nothing like what you are claiming. No physical analogy/description/concept/definition can ever be applied/used to explain something that is not physical. If you are going to say A is nothing like B (A=/=B) then that is fine. But it does not make any sense for you to turn around and proceed to describe/define/conceptualize B entirely in terms of A as if A==B. That is being inconsistent and is making your argument incoherent. You cannot have it both ways.

I get your point here, you may consider them parables* instead. (though not in the strictest sense of the word)

The big b.ang theory details the expansion of the Universe from a singularity. It assumes that there was a universe already there to expand from and that all the scientific principles that currently apply to the Universe were valid then. No one knows what came before the singularity. For all we know, it could have just been a Universe that had just collapsed into a singularity.

Again my argument here for dimensions beyond the confines universe. If you say that the big bang is an expansion, Into what space is it expanding? The theory is more or less that there was a compressed ball of very high energy which went kaboom! and then as it expanded, started cooling. what caused this cataclysmic event? What held this ball of energy together in the first place? How did it cool in very definite and precise chunks of matter, How does it come to support life when it is overwhelmingly more likely that it shouldn't?

Furthermore, concepts/ideas are still physical objects. They are a specific organization of neurons in the brain. The mind is also contained within the brain although the specifics are still yet to be understood. All the things you are describing are physical components of a nervous system.

When I said a mind, I didn't mean like a human mind rather I was referring to an intelligence. Besides, the mind is not and cannot be simply defined by an arrangement of neurons, it is far more complex than that. "You cannot simply look at the brain and say "Remove neuron A, B and C and Idehn and Mr Anony will not think of the color red again". A mind to the brain is much like software running on a computer. The computer as no value without the software. The true personality of the computer depends on the software. Yes if the hardware is damaged, the software won't function but that doesn't mean we explain the software based on hardware. In much the same way as we use computer hardware to access it's software, so do we access our minds using our brains. The mind is by no means physical.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to say that the Universe could have been something else than what it is? If so than how do you know this?

What I was saying is this. There is a pattern to the universe which we can recognize. This is a strong indication that there is an intelligence. If before the big bang was a singularity, then there are many different ways it could have turned out apart from as it is today unless the universe was was not a singularity but a minuscule complex universe that has simply expanded, if this was the case, then we would notice an expansion of it's particles such as expanding planets rather than just an increase in the spaces between them.

Lastly, I give you this parable*. This an attempt by me to explain why it is possible to have an intelligent designer who doesn't require a physical explanation.

If for instance We create a complex virtual world much like ours and run it on the intelligence of a supercomputer. The characters in this virtual world would not be able to explain "physicality" because they do not experience it in their world of "virtuality". they might even trace back their existence to the date their world was began (in our case the day we launched the software. Mind you, what time means for them may not necessarily be the same for us. we can make it such that a minute to us is a century to them if we like. we can do the same tweaks with space and distance and heat e.t.c.) If we decide, we can tweak the events in their world so that random strange "miracles" happen that you can only fully understand if you were physical and not virtual.

(a).Now some of these our virtual people might say; there is nothing beyond "virtuality". They would be wrong
(b).Some might say; we know that our world has a starting point, we know that nothing starts from nothing. but yet we say there cannot be a "physical". They would be foolish
(c).Others might say might say; if our virtual world started at some point, we don't know, but what could have started it? They would be wise
(d).Others might also say; If something caused our virtual world to exist, then there must be a world beyond the virtual. They would be right
(e).And yet some others might also say; I know the physical, I know what runs this world of ours. For these ones, it is either the physical has been revealed to them or they are simply lying.

The truth is this, one can only truly know God by revelation.

I'm off for some time after this. but do get back to me all the same.

1 Like

Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 03, 2012
Martian:
There is no need for a manifesto
atheism is true because all concepts of gods and the supernatural are man made.
hmm, looking at the bolded, i believe atheist have faith, the origin of the big b@ng, for thousands of years, have not been known, thus the plausible option is to accept the unknown 'supernatural' caused the big b@ng. grin therefore man made abi
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 10:42am On Jun 03, 2012
Martian:

Then let it make sense to you and yours. Atheism is the acknowledgement that there is no fundamental difference betwen yahweh, obatala, zeus and ahura mazda etc. Christianity is the belief that yahweh/jesus aredifferent from the rest.

but the statement is true if the statement it opposes is baseless and has similarities with other baseless statements i.e lies
You say there is a "god", I say prove it, you say its "extraphyscial and can't be explained in physical terms", I say it sounds like the rest of the fairytales, you close your eyes,close your ears, stomp your feet and keep crying about how your God is different but refuse to give a coherent explanantion. I say your god is not different from the other gods you and I both reject.I'm probably right.
hi martian, i like your answers, but why use the word 'probably' to your assertion? I tot all atheist are 100% sure of God's non existence? Kindly clarify the use of that word 'probably'
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

You look at a mechanism such as the universe and demand that it's originator must be less complex than it is. You and I know very well that I coined the word "extraphysical" to explain that whatever brought forth the universe i.e the physical must be more complex than the universe hence "extraphysical". feel free to attack my poor use of the english language if that is what makes you feel better.

It amuses me when you say you do not know if the universe has an origin or not but you seem absolutely certain that if it does, the creator of the physical must be physical as well. I wonder how you came to be convinced of this.
hi anon, did you mean "less" or "more" to the bolded word-MORE!
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 03, 2012
Martian:

Why "a God" and not "gods"? Please, please, pretty please show me why your God is true.

Martian it looks you are trying to mix 2 things at the same time. a God and gods, what i believe anon wants you to accept first is, is there an unknown supernatural entity,
I could show you why my God is true but first you have to acknowledge that a God must exist and one of the many proclaimed must be true. Else it is futile talking about it.
if yes, then anon would now show WHO this entity is (a God) and then go ahead to differentiate between the two (a God and gods). Anon, I hope i am right! cheesy So martian is that a flow of what you wish to know!
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by jayriginal: 12:53pm On Jun 03, 2012
logicboy:

Your post had too much nonsense in it for atheists to be bothered.

As in this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Such nonsense !
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by jayriginal: 12:54pm On Jun 03, 2012
Enigma: Addendum

See e.g. here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/types/humanism.shtml

While atheism is merely the absence of belief, humanism is a positive attitude to the world, centred on human experience, thought, and hopes.

From the same link (on Humanism)

It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.

Well, well !
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 03, 2012
hisblud: hi martian, i like your answers, but why use the word 'probably' to your assertion? I tot all atheist are 100% sure of God's non existence? Kindly clarify the use of that word 'probably'

When the subject is about the supernatural, there is never any objective evidence thats presented by the person making the claim; so the acceptance of the claim depends on ignorance, supersition, faith, beliefs, gullibility and credulity of the recipient.
Since this god thing can't be defined and is also said to be independent of space and time,there is no reason to believe that it exists. Also, every description of god is always based on a person's biases and its clear that every culture had stories about gods who just happen to look like them and have names synonymous with the culture."God" isn't even a name of any particular diety, it has become a generic name for dieties(gods)just like the word "truck" is the generic name for SUVs and pick up trucks. So when people say "God", I am liable to ask which one, because a christian is either thinking of yahweh or jesus, and a muslim is thinking of Allah, and PaganNja is thinking of a Rock or whatever God is to him, Jenwitemi might be thinking of an undefined "God", Deepsight his thinking of himself and what he would be like if he was omnipotent, Olaadegbu is thinking of Hitler(but he doesn't know it) etc. Me, all I can say is, I'm probably right that y'all are equally crazy.
But at the same time, I can't prove conclusively that it doesn't exist just like I can't prove that the Greek Gods didn't live on Mount Olympus. So "probably".

hisblud: hmm, looking at the bolded, i believe atheist have faith, the origin of the big b@ng, for thousands of years, have not been known, thus the plausible option is to accept the unknown 'supernatural' caused the big b@ng. grin therefore man made abi

......................................................................................huh.................

hisblud:
Martian it looks you are trying to mix 2 things at the same time. a God and gods, what i believe anon wants you to accept first is, is there an unknown supernatural entity

I don't know what supernatural means so i can't comment on your "unknown supernatural entity".

hisblud:
if yes, then anon would now show WHO this entity is (a God) and then go ahead to differentiate between the two (a God and gods). Anon, I hope i am right! cheesy So martian is that a flow of what you wish to know!

He already said that he can't explain what he means and he has continued to write his watch and ipad analogies which further shows that he is just making sh#t up based on his underlying christian faith.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Enigma(m): 1:05pm On Jun 03, 2012
Absence of belief as with a dog, a cow and a monkey! wink

Absence of belief or the claimed absence of belief?

Absence of belief (passive) or actual disbelief (active)?

Who's fooling who?

Or are the evangelical atheist mumus just fooling themselves?

cool
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 03, 2012
Enigma: Absence of belief as with a dog, a cow and a monkey! wink
Absence of belief or the claimed absence of belief?
Absence of belief (passive) or actual disbelief (active)?
Who's fooling who?
Or are the evangelical atheist mumus just fooling themselves?
cool

lol, go ask your sky fairy.
Besides, you are violating the platitudes,sorry, beatitudes. Shut up or you won't inherit the earth with the rest of the meek.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by jayriginal: 1:19pm On Jun 03, 2012
Funny how some Christians "know" what is "believed" and what is not. Sounds more like an attempt to convince themselves than any other thing.

I didnt know that so many Christians were mind-readers.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 03, 2012
jayriginal:
Well, well !

Indeed *Omar Little's vocie*
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Now Causality does not refer to time as time actually is. Causality refers to time as a sequence (where time can go on infinitely) and hence we have a before and after.

Time and causality are not separable. In your own definition of causality, you had to make use of the concept of time which is very telling. In lieu of your definition of causality, claiming that the first cause is beyond/outside/whatever of time does not make any sense. Every single part of the sequence necessarily operates within the framework of time. Otherwise, you are not really talking about causality but something else entirely.

Also if you have not problem with time being infinite then you have no problem with infinite number of causes. After all, each step occupies a specific point in time. An infinite timeline would imply/necessitate an infinite number of causes.

Mr_Anony:
Time on the other hand is a dimension by which we describe our universe. For instance we know that it takes 8 minutes for light to get from the sun to the earth so the sun we see now is as it was 8 minutes ago. Now assuming we had some means other means of communicating faster than light, "time" would be faster and we would see the "future" hence time is an illusion we use to make sense of sequences.

This is incorrect/inaccurate. It is more appropriate to describe time(in a scientific sense) as a conceptual metric/framework. The way we measure time may be arbitrary but consistency of measurement is the primary goal. Looking at your example, it is amount of time it takes for us to perceive an event that is changing not the metric. What sense would it make if the thing by which we are measuring change is itself in flux? The metric by which we are measuring should not change(aside from coordinate transforms). It would be as incorrect as saying that since the speed of light increased the distance between the sun and earth got shorter.

Mr_Anony:
For all we know, the universe might as well be described as an infinite* number of frames on a static plane and light runs this frames so that we have a sequence. (this is a very simple way of looking at it but I'm sure you get the idea) How can one say that time started with the big bang without acknowledging that there must exist something outside the confines of time
I think you are under a gross misapprehension of Big B.ang theory. I know that it is often presented by some as being the "the beginning of time", but it does not make any claims about what came before the singularity(or if there was even a before). Claims on what came before or if there was a before are all purely speculative at the moment.

Mr_Anony:
Again my argument here for dimensions beyond the confines universe. If you say that the big bang is an expansion, Into what space is it expanding? The theory is more or less that there was a compressed ball of very high energy which went kaboom! and then as it expanded, started cooling. what caused this cataclysmic event? What held this ball of energy together in the first place? How did it cool in very definite and precise chunks of matter, How does it come to support life when it is overwhelmingly more likely that it shouldn't?

Your argument is purely speculative and is not actually based on Big B.ang Theory. You are treating space as some kind of physical object that exist outside of the physical brain. It is concept. It is like the equator or borders of nations. They do not physically exist beyond lines on maps or concepts in our nervous system. Asking what space the universe is expanding into is not a meaningful question. Space is the metric by which we measure the size of the universe(in this case volume).

Like I said before no one knows the state of the Universe prior to the singularity. No one even knows why matter is more prevalent in the Universe than anti matter. I am not sure what you mean by definite and precise chunks of matter. Are you saying it should have been something else? If so how do you know this. To your last question, the vast majority of the Universe does not infact support life. As far as we can tell Earth and possibly Mars are the only places we know with life in the Universe.

Mr_Anony:
When I said a mind, I didn't mean like a human mind rather I was referring to an intelligence. Besides, the mind is not and cannot be simply defined by an arrangement of neurons, it is far more complex than that. "You cannot simply look at the brain and say "Remove neuron A, B and C and Idehn and Mr Anony will not think of the color red again".

The intelligence aspect of all organism we currently know(animals) originates from a nervous system (the brain). The brain and all its inner working are complex. While we do not completely understand the brain, I can assure you that if you "Remove all neurons" than Idehn and Mr Anony will definitely not think of the color red again.
Mr_Anony:
A mind to the brain is much like software running on a computer. The computer as no value without the software. The true personality of the computer depends on the software. Yes if the hardware is damaged, the software won't function but that doesn't mean we explain the software based on hardware. In much the same way as we use computer hardware to access it's software, so do we access our minds using our brains. The mind is by no means physical.

Where your software analogy is flawed, is that you fail to recognize that even software is physically stored (specifically in memory). It exist physically as an organization of electron/protons/neutrons(transistors). Disrupt certain components of this organization and you have compromised the software(panics/crashes). In the biological sense, neurons are to transistors as mind is to software. Even I am forced however to recognize that this is a very crude analysis. So yes, both the mind and software are physical objects.

Mr_Anony:
What I was saying is this. There is a pattern to the universe which we can recognize. This is a strong indication that there is an intelligence. If before the big bang was a singularity, then there are many different ways it could have turned out apart from as it is today unless the universe was was not a singularity but a minuscule complex universe that has simply expanded, if this was the case, then we would notice an expansion of it's particles such as expanding planets rather than just an increase in the spaces between them.

Yes pattern recognition is a strong indication of intelligence. Namely our own. The ability to recognize a pattern does not necessarily imply design/intent. Also it does/did not seem like you are/were just saying it could have turned out differently. It seems/ed like you are/were saying that it should have been different. I want to know how you come to this conclusion if that is in fact what you are saying.

Mr_Anony:
Lastly, I give you this parable*. This an attempt by me to explain why it is possible to have an intelligent designer who doesn't require a physical explanation.

If for instance We create a complex virtual world much like ours and run it on the intelligence of a supercomputer.

You are not getting my point at all. The virtual world has to be nothing like ours. Try this though experiment. Try to imagine a world that is nothing like the world we live. Not one physical aspect of it can be the same. Were you able to do this? That is what you must do when you posit something that the concepts of time and space do not and cannot be applied to. For everything you know, you can and must be able
apply these to key concepts to.

Mr_Anony:
The characters in this virtual world would not be able to explain "physicality" because they do not experience it in their world of "virtuality". they might even trace back their existence to the date their world was began (in our case the day we launched the software. Mind you, what time means for them may not necessarily be the same for us. we can make it such that a minute to us is a century to them if we like. we can do the same tweaks with space and distance and heat e.t.c.) If we decide, we can tweak the events in their world so that random strange "miracles" happen that you can only fully understand if you were physical and not virtual.

(a).Now some of these our virtual people might say; there is nothing beyond "virtuality". They would be wrong
(b).Some might say; we know that our world has a starting point, we know that nothing starts from nothing. but yet we say there cannot be a "physical". They would be foolish
(c).Others might say might say; if our virtual world started at some point, we don't know, but what could have started it? They would be wise
(d).Others might also say; If something caused our virtual world to exist, then there must be a world beyond the virtual. They would be right
(e).And yet some others might also say; I know the physical, I know what runs this world of ours. For these ones, it is either the physical has been revealed to them or they are simply lying.

On another note it is clear(from an engineering perspective), what it means to design/create something like supercomputer. It is even clear what it means to design/create a virtual experience based upon our own. You are physically reorganizing what already exist in the universe into a specific pattern that (for the most part) operates as intended. That is the core of what it means to design/create. After all, we do not create super computers from nothing and they are designed based upon principles obtained through observation of nature. It is not at all clear what you mean when you say "create/design" a Universe. Especially when you appeal to things that exist outside the conceptual framework of time/space which informs every aspect of the meaning of the words create and design.

Again your parable is completely in appropriate. It would be like trying to design virtual Universe outside the framework of space and time. How do you possibly do such a thing when every single thing we know/do is tied to the concepts of space and time? The concepts would invariably permeate the design whether you wanted it to or not.

Mr_Anony: The truth is this, one can only truly know God by revelation.

Your teleological argument just does not give any clear,meaningful, and coherent definition for God. Without such a definition, it is pointless to talk about God this and God that.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by DeepSight(m): 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2012
Idehn:

Your teleological argument just does not give any clear,meaningful, and coherent definition for God. Without such a definition, it is pointless to talk about God this and God that.

Lol, when will you tire of saying this. This remains your constant refrain whenever God is discussed. You keep repeating that there is no definition and as such, no discussion can hold. Magnifient escapism if you ask me. Enjoy it if it makes you feel dandy.

No serious discussant can claim that there exists no general idea of what the word "God" refers to in Theological Discourses

I guess this will be the next word you will assist us to delete from human language, seeing as it has no definition - not even in dictionaries!
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Kay17: 11:42pm On Jun 03, 2012
Deep Sight:

Lol, when will you tire of saying this. This remains your constant refrain whenever God is discussed. You keep repeating that there is no definition and as such, no discussion can hold. Magnifient escapism if you ask me. Enjoy it if it makes you feel dandy.

No serious discussant can claim that there exists no general idea of what the word "God" refers to in Theological Discourses

I guess this will be the next word you will assist us to delete from human language, seeing as it has no definition - not even in dictionaries!
in a theist+atheist discussion, it can't be taken for granted. An atheist working on his assumptions on a deist god or Christian god wouldn't help the discussion.

But the most common function of god always in the role of a creator.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by DeepSight(m): 12:02am On Jun 04, 2012
Kay 17:
in a theist+atheist discussion, it can't be taken for granted.

In any theist/ atheist discussion, the primary definition of God is well settled: It refers to an unembodied transcendental mind responsible for all alse that exists. This is beqond cavil: and as I said, no serious discussant will seek to eternally quibble about that.

Qualities ascribed or unique to the God-View of specific religions, such as goodness, mercy, righteousness, being a trinity, and the like, are not precepts that challenge the fundamental description of that which is referred to as God in terms of Theistic/ Atheistic discourses.

As such, I can only recall the words of an old poster on this board - Prizm, where he said (i paraphrase) that "no serious person should have the appetite for the sort of debate where the discussants deliberately strive to mis-understand one another on the most simple terms and definitions. . . "

I have said repeatedly that the theological discourse on the existence of God cannot be contingent on attributes such as "goodness", etc. This is because the discussion is fundamentally a debate as to how this universe/ reality in which we live came to exist. As such it is a debate about causality, and what caused this universe to be. Whether that thing is good or bad or neutral has no bearing on its existence. - That is to say, its goodness or badness has no bearing on whether such an eternal first cause actually exists or not. That only has a bearing on its further ontological attributes and does not serve to render it existent or non-existent. What will address that is the core arguments on eternity and causality, and not any petty-fogging about whether it is good or merciful or a trinity, or omni-this or omni-that.

As such I will never respect the atheistic position whose only refrain is to ask forever - "define God" or to implore forever "why did allah do this" or "Yahweh is bloodthirsty." I could not give a hoot about these. I will only respect the position that thoughfully engages the core questions of eternity and causality which are at the philosophical and scientific bottom of the core discussion.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by DeepSight(m): 12:23am On Jun 04, 2012
I just need to make a few further comments to show what I mean by tiresome definition games and running around in meaningless circles.

Idehn:

Asking what space the universe is expanding into is not a meaningful question. Space is the metric by which we measure the size of the universe(in this case volume).

This is just classic escapism. Aside from this, it does not task itself in the least. The questions states - into what is space expanding - and as such it remains a perfectly valid question save for the escapist materialist or the intellectually lazy. Note carefully "into what" - does not necessarily suggest that the space that we scientifically define is the same thing as the "what" being quesried here.

The inescapable fact remains that the universe is evidentially expanding. It would thus be the height of absurdity to contend that there is nothing into which it expands and that such a question regarding what it expands into is not apt. The summary of what you did was this - faced with this question which has the capacity to unhinge your postulations about everything existing only in scientificaly defined time and space, you have effectively attempted a jail-break by absurdly asserting space to be a concept only - and not a real thing.

My friend, if that is the case, then the universe also is a concept only, and does not exist - as you have said that everything that we know to exist, exists only within such constructs of time and space. I hope you can see the lamentable and catastrophic work that you have done here.

It is not at all clear what you mean when you say "create/design" a Universe.

Here is another tiresome example of definition games and deliberate attempts to obsfucate simple words. Especially as it is followed with -

Especially when you appeal to things that exist outside the conceptual framework of time/space which informs every aspect of the meaning of the words create and design.

- - - Shocking, because when asked the question as to what space is expanding into, this here good man suddenly claims that there is nothing like space at all. This is what I mean by tirelessly and meaninglessly running around in circles.

Again your parable is completely in appropriate. It would be like trying to design virtual Universe outside the framework of space and time. How do you possibly do such a thing when every single thing we know/do is tied to the concepts of space and time? The concepts would invariably permeate the design whether you wanted it to or not.

This is exactly what makes the question relevant - If we consider that things only exist within the construct of space and time - as scientifically defined - then we wonder how it is possible for the universe to expand at all. Into what is it expanding? ? ?
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by Nobody: 1:55am On Jun 04, 2012
Oh, Deepsight I knew you just could not resist.

Deep Sight:

If you do not accept that the definition of God varies from person to person than you are welcome to that opinion. Pretending like everyone can read each others minds when the matter of God comes up is just silly. It is almost as silly as assuming everyone has the same definition for natural wouldn't you say wink. Let this gentlemen present his notion of what God is instead of putting words into his mouth.

Deep Sight:
I just need to make a few further comments to show what I mean by tiresome definition games and running around in meaningless circles.

Reason you grow weary because cannot even get your own definitions straight. Look back at our discussion about natural. My definition was clear,coherent, and meaningful. Every query you threw at it did nothing to change this. However, at the end of the day you did nothing more than throw a tantrum and complain to the tune of "it just ain't right". What you really were doing was trying to give you personal preferences super powers by claiming that they were based on something objective (nature). If you want to put the cart before the horse than fine. But do not expect me to even pretend like that is how it is supposed to work.

Deep Sight:
This is just classic escapism. Aside from this, it does not task itself in the least. The questions states - into what is space expanding - and as such it remains a perfectly valid question save for the escapist materialist or the intellectually lazy. Note carefully "into what" - does not necessarily suggest that the space that we scientifically define is the same thing as the "what" being quesried here.

Again you are under the presumption that "space" is a physical object that exist outside of the brain. That is simply wrong. It is no more meaningful than claiming that the borders of Nigeria represent something that physically exist outside of the ink on maps and globes. Unless of course the border actually corresponds to something physical like a river or mountain. Otherwise it does not exist beyond a concept stored in the brain. If you cannot be bothered to clarify the fundamentals of a dialectic, then my friend it is you who is intellectually lazy.

Deep Sight:
Here is another tiresome example of definition games and deliberate attempts to obsfucate simple words. Especially as it is followed with -

Especially when you appeal to things that exist outside the conceptual framework of time/space which informs every aspect of the meaning of the words create and design.

Like him you are making the same mistake. Space/time are concepts that exist in the brain. They are not same as other physical objects like balloons/bags that you can fill with air(or in this case the universe).

Deep Sight:
This is exactly what makes the question relevant - If we consider that things only exist within the construct of space and time - as scientifically defined - then we wonder how it is possible for the universe to expand at all. Into what is it expanding? ? ?

Wow even I am getting tired of repeating myself. Again you are thinking of space like it is some kind of balloon that contains the Universe. Short of physical interactions there is nothing limiting the measured distance between two objects(which may I add is the main point of the big b.ang and black hole theory).

Furthermore, think for a moment about what you are saying. If the Universe had to expand into something else then it would not be the Universe. It would be the Universe minus the thing everything else has to expand into. In which case you would have to ask more absurd questions like, what is the something(what you call space) expanding into? And what is that something else expanding into and so on Ad infinitum. You could keep positing a space outside of that space outside of space. But you may as well be saying a turtle on top of turtle on top of yet another turtle.
Re: Atheism: The “No-God” Religion by DeepSight(m): 1:10pm On Jun 04, 2012
Idehn: Oh, Deepsight I knew you just could not resist.

If you do not accept that the definition of God varies from person to person than you are welcome to that opinion. Pretending like everyone can read each others minds when the matter of God comes up is just silly. It is almost as silly as assuming everyone has the same definition for natural wouldn't you say wink. Let this gentlemen present his notion of what God is instead of putting words into his mouth.

I actually have no qualms with anybody asking for a specific definition of God in relation to a specific discussion. The only reason I consistently bother you about this is the fact that you go on ad infinitum ad nauseum and deliberately stall discussions at that point alone. I am aware, just as you are, that there is no definition which any one can give or has ever given, which has allowed you to say, very well, let us discuss this God as defined. You will simply say that the definition is not good and as such there can be no discussion. Can you deny that this is what you have consistently and tiresomely done?

Have you ever accepted any definition whatsoever as a basis for engaging any discussion?

Even when I have offered you the barest minimum common denominator in the universal understanding of the word "God" - you have still rejectred same and refused to discuss, claiming that there is no definition and as such, no discussion can hold on the subject. You have done this consistently for a very long time, and frankly its tiresome and irritating.

I also see it as dishonest: at the minimum you cannot claim to be unaware that in general terms and in relation to these dicussions, "God" refers to a non-physical entity said to be the creator of the physical universe and all subsequent reality. Denying that just prolongs your age-long dis-honesty on the subject, IMO.

It also comes across as rather cowardly. As though you are afraid of venturing beyond your comfort zone of denying definitions, as per these discourses. I say this because as you must be aware, there are many very advanced further stages of these sorts of discussions, dealing with deep philosophical principles and scientific and logical questions/ notions - but sadly, as you know, nobody has been able to get to such interesteing levels of the discussion with you, because you always strangle the discussion at the outset by claiming that there is nothing to discuss because there is no definition. Use any definition you find in a dictionary for all I care.

Reason you grow weary because cannot even get your own definitions straight. Look back at our discussion about natural. My definition was clear,coherent, and meaningful. Every query you threw at it did nothing to change this. However, at the end of the day you did nothing more than throw a tantrum and complain to the tune of "it just ain't right". What you really were doing was trying to give you personal preferences super powers by claiming that they were based on something objective (nature). If you want to put the cart before the horse than fine. But do not expect me to even pretend like that is how it is supposed to work.

Not at all, you severly mangled the word "nature" in that conversation and badly conflated it with "reality". I thought it was quite horribly done, but simply grew tired, as i'm sure you did. I am still going to revert there, so look out for it; it will be an exhaustive but last attempt to enable you see how badly wrong it is to equate the concept of the word "natural" with "anything that exists" - that is a horribly off-the-mark notion, and I hope you will take the time to carefully read my response when I do.

Again you are under the presumption that "space" is a physical object that exist outside of the brain. That is simply wrong. It is no more meaningful than claiming that the borders of Nigeria represent something that physically exist outside of the ink on maps and globes. Unless of course the border actually corresponds to something physical like a river or mountain. Otherwise it does not exist beyond a concept stored in the brain. If you cannot be bothered to clarify the fundamentals of a dialectic, then my friend it is you who is intellectually lazy.

Can you answer me these questions -

1. You say that space and time are only concepts that exist in our minds, yes?

2. Does the Universe exist, independent of our minds, yea or nay?

3. Is there space in the universe?

4. Is there time in the universe?

5. Does the Universe exist within or outside space and time?

6. Does the Universe exist in our mind only as a concept?

7. If humans did not exist, would the universe still exist?

8. If humand did not exist, would there cease to be space and time in the universe?

If clever, as I know you are, you will see how badly you are mangling things again. Your definition of time and space are violently unscientific, notwithstanding that you like to stand by science. Science does not describe space and time as mere concepts in our mind. Space and Time have scientific descriptions as physical things, as a construct of a fabric forming a continuum in which the universe is. We are only a tiny part thereof and it is absurd to imagine the super-construct not to exist if we were not here with our minds. Terribly and violently contradictory illogic actually. But I FEAR THAT AS WITH ALL THINGS, you will not see the glaring, the obvious.

Like him you are making the same mistake. Space/time are concepts that exist in the brain. They are not same as other physical objects like balloons/bags that you can fill with air(or in this case the universe).

Well, since you like to stand by science, I will have you know that this is scientific harakiri. Absolutely false as per science. Current scientific thinking postulates the universe as xisting in three dimensions of space and one dimension of time forming a spacetime continuum. It does not postulate that this exists only in our heads - otherwise it would amount to postulating that the universe exists only in our heads. Please understand carefully that the fact that we develop concepts about things, does not mean that the things are the concepts or the concepts are the things.

Furthermore, think for a moment about what you are saying. If the Universe had to expand into something else then it would not be the Universe. It would be the Universe minus the thing everything else has to expand into.

No, it would be the universe. What makes you think anything that exists [u]outside]/u] this universe must be part of this universe. What if we have a multiverse?

In which case you would have to ask more absurd questions like, what is the something(what you call space) expanding into?

Nope, this is an assumption, because we do not know that any such thing is expanding - we do not even know what it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chilling Confessions Of A Zambian Satanist!!! / I Condemn The Paris Attack / Man Share Dangerous Islamic Poem They Were Made To Recite In Primary School,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 217
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.