Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,754 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? (16475 Views)

A Car Constructed With Wood With Motorcycle Engine In Bida / Its A Murano A Good Choice Than Honda Element? / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 1:13am On Dec 06, 2011
@ SIENA. The EPA ratings for a US version of your car is as high as a 6.0L BMW Sedan. I know  Driving technique, oil type, tires, fuel type etc affect the fuel consumption  of a car. Getting 20 more Break Horse Power from a naturally aspiring engine is a wonderful achievement.

I get 23.5 to 26.5MPG on my murano at 63 to 80 MPH on a high way using premium gasoline. And 15 to 19mpg in the city. These figures are quite close to the EPA ratings( 17 and 23, city and highway resp.)
I see your MPG figures and i am impressed with it. Would love if you could share with us you share with us the modifications that helped you with such numbers, some of us Don't wanna pay more for fuel grin grin

For a sedan using Aluminium engine which is 3x lighter than iron, I was expecting a lot more MPG (over the Toyota sequoia) cause u have a higher power to weight ratio

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 1:58am On Dec 06, 2011
Costee:

Hm, I guess that must be one school of thought for another holds that the mileage warranty was extended as an indication of the confidence level Nissan had on its CVT. Recalls are usually made in matters relating to safety, and I don't think the Murano CVT has been reported to be generally hazardous on account of its tranny. The CVT has been used on the Maxima since 2007 and there's been no adverse reviews on its reliability---or could it be that the pre-2007 CVTs were not as durable? It is surely instructive that current Maxima models (from2009) don't even have manual transmissions, they're solely CVT. 

The Same CVTs and Engine since 03 bro ( My dealership mech said so) He also mention most CVT probs were caused by using the wrong tranny fluid ( most times the auto trans fluid). i guess the CVT has a different viscosity and thermodynamic properties from the Auto fluid.

The Nissan CVT is quite reliable from what i hear. Just use the recommended parts and fluid

There is a reason why Manufacturers recommend stuffs for their products. They have tested them within a range and seen how they perform. pls do read the manuals of any equipment, A LOT IS IN THE FINE PRINT
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by jenny8023(f): 4:55am On Dec 06, 2011
maybe you can
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 06, 2011
jenny8023:

maybe you can

Maybe you can what, sis?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 06, 2011
@ Icemann: The figures for my car (power output) are stock, no modifications whatsoever. I'm not sure what the US versions put out as standard (340)? I do know that traditionally, US versions of Audi and Volkswagen are de-tuned to comply with Federal law / use. Common examples:

Audi S4 B5 (UK) 265 bhp. Audi S4 B5 (US) 250 bhp.
Audi Coupe GT (UK) 136 bhp. Audi Coupe GT (US) 120 bhp.
Audi Quattro Turbo (UK) 200 bhp. Audi Quattro Turbo (US) 165 bhp.
Volkswagen Corrado VR6 (UK) 190 bhp. Volkswagen Corrado VR6 (US) 174 bhp.

Higher output would use more gas, all things being equal. In this case, they're not. A high-output engine that was artificially de-tuned will be thirstier. The engine is restricted, limiting output as well as top speed. US versions of the Audi S8 are also heavier - chunkier bumpers, bigger side-impact beams etc.

It's also worth noting individual gear ratios differ between Euro and US cars. The same goes for Japan - their ratios are lower than Euro cars, as most driving terrain have more gradients. Lower gear ratios will not favour good gas mileage, even if the engine maps are identical, and the cars have a similar weight.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by nissparts(m): 11:56am On Dec 06, 2011
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f213d8f/22 Rogue

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f16e08e Altima

http://forums.nicoclub.com/i-have-a-problem-with-my-2003-murano-transmission-t273213.html Murano

The extended warranty is simply a marketing ploy to boost customer confidence and has nothing to do with the reliability of the CVTs. If you frequent nissan forums you will find several owners who have had at least 2 transmission replacements before clocking 70,000 miles, some of them have had 3 replacements embarassed
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/8454/extended-powertrain-warranty-on-cvt-transmission-equipped-nissan-vehicles (Read comments below the article)

The 03-06 CVTS were the first design; minor changes were made from 07-08; 3rd generation nissan cvts were released in 09 and now a brand new CVT design by Nissan just released.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/01/nissan-shows-us-its-new-and-improved-continuously-variable-trans/

There is no smoke without fire.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2011
Siena:

Lol. As long as I don't suggest an economical 6,0 V12, or a fuel-sipping diesel engine for Nigerian use, hehehe.

aye, you don't want to bring that topic up! grin
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 06, 2011
nissparts:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f213d8f/22 Rogue

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f16e08e Altima

http://forums.nicoclub.com/i-have-a-problem-with-my-2003-murano-transmission-t273213.html Murano

The extended warranty is simply a marketing ploy to boost customer confidence and has nothing to do with the reliability of the CVTs. If you frequent nissan forums you will find several owners who have had at least 2 transmission replacements before clocking 70,000 miles, some of them have had 3 replacements embarassed
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/8454/extended-powertrain-warranty-on-cvt-transmission-equipped-nissan-vehicles (Read comments below the article)

The 03-06 CVTS were the first design; minor changes were made from 07-08; 3rd generation nissan cvts were released in 09 and now a brand new CVT design by Nissan just released.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/01/nissan-shows-us-its-new-and-improved-continuously-variable-trans/

There is no smoke without fire.

So what's your conclusion? That CVTs are to be avoided altogether?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by nissparts(m): 1:32pm On Dec 06, 2011
My conclusion is Nissan CVTs are susceptible to early failure, at least for the 03-08 models.
This does not mean all of them will fail but that the chances of you requiring a new transmission within 60k miles are pretty high.

Now, if I lived in the states, I wouldnt really care since the warranty would protect me and of course I would sell it as soon as I'm nearing the end of that warranty and buy another Nissan.

But here, you have to pray.

I drive a CVT, I've replaced my transmission once as well.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 06, 2011
The CVT Audi use in the lower-powered models (Multitronic) are also prone to premature failure. Though in the case of the Audi's, most of the CVT issues are TCU-related. I ship TCU's to Australia on a regular basis.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2011
nissparts:

My conclusion is Nissan CVTs are susceptible to early failure, at least for the 03-08 models.
Might be. From what I've read the CVT in the Maxima from 2007 has for the moment given no cause for concern.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by ruthkufe: 5:02pm On Dec 06, 2011
of course,
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by otitisteve: 5:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
No
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by kulumo: 11:06am On Dec 07, 2011
I have spent almost 1.6m to fix mine, had to buy both cvt and engine and now its perfect but i wanna sell it to get a Honda cross-tour.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:15pm On Dec 07, 2011
1.6m just to fix a toks?

that is certainly heavy! shocked
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Shuaibu001: 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2011
Following this thread am proud to be a Nigerian
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 11, 2011
kulumo:

I have spent almost 1.6m to fix mine, had to buy both cvt and engine and now its perfect but i wanna sell it to get a Honda cross-tour.

I don't get this - what was wrong with your original engine?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 10:12pm On Dec 21, 2011
@ Sienna, the thing is thevehicle does not fire even though you depress the throttle pedal all the and so the car does not move more than 5m/hr. No matter how much you press down on the throttle, the tachometer revs below 1500RPM. Please what can I do?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sultaan(m): 1:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
What happened before you had this problem, did you:

buy it like that
service the car, or let a mechanic touch(adjust)it
let someone borrow it.

If you have not taken it to a mechanic it will be easier to fix, if a mechanic has already worked on it you'll have to undo what he did.

You CANNOT FIX modern cars  without a scan.

Your car is probably in limp mode to protect itself from damage by your attempt to drive it. Your check engine light should be flashing.

FYI your engine is still good just a bad sensor or disconnected by mechanic

Its not the problem you have now that is important, it what happen before it started.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 8:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
@ Sultan thanks for your help. I will get someone to do the scan. I only worked on theexhaust prior to the problem
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 10:43pm On Dec 23, 2011
I went for the scan today and the mechanic says I have to get a new brain box
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 23, 2011
BOSON:

Surely you don't expect the gurus on this thread to just take that without explanation. If you had the car scanned, what codes were pulled from the car? Let's have them and expect expert advice.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 23, 2011
BOSON:

Really? And how did he arrive at that conclusion? I doubt there's anything wrong with your ECU.

Ask him to give you the codes he pulled, if any.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sultaan(m): 12:55am On Dec 24, 2011
Those clowns grin

This is how it works;

Parameters are preset for your cars in the ECU.

Sensors send signals to the ECU from their location, if the signal converts temp to voltage it will send low temp to Ecu and warning shows on dashboard.

So all we were trying to do here is for you to ask the car what the problem is and those codes guide to a sensor/ area not running within set parameter, when your mechanic says he scanned the car and you need a new ECU, the ECU will tell him what the problem is, if its bad, I wonder what told him.That mechanic is not honest trying to bleep you new year shopping.I have seen mechanics buy cars from these simple issues.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 24, 2011
BOSON:

In most cases, a dead ECU will not communicate with the OBD port. Meaning you're unlikely to be able to scan the system.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 24, 2011
Siena:

In most cases, a dead ECU will not communicate with the OBD port. Meaning you're unlikely to be able to scan the system.
I should have thought so too! Anyway, since the guy says the car is still scannable, I guess we should be glad to receive the codes pulled.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 24, 2011
Costee:

I should have thought so too! Anyway, since the guy says the car is still scannable, I guess we should be glad to receive the codes pulled.

Looking at this, I would say the ECU is still in good shape. The car still runs, albeit intermittently.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 12:02am On Jan 02, 2012
Sorry folks. I travelled to the village. Just came back and found that the car is running. the mechanc says he has changed the brain box. I am currently investigating if he actually did change the brain box.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 02, 2012
^^^ I would ask him to give the old one back to you. I always neatly box up all parts replaced in my client's vehicles, and leave them in the trunk. Some say there's no need, that they trust me, but I still leave them their old parts regardless, just one of my unwritten rules, that has served me well.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by donugapi(m): 10:39pm On Apr 05, 2012
After treating my murano like an egg for the past year and half, I think my CVT is already giving up. I need advise from the experts out here.
My car is an 06 SL AWD Murano.
Recently, I feel a thump in the floorboard when I try to accelerate quickly from a stationary position. When I move gradually, it doesn't do that. A former mechanic who's now a driver for us seems to believe it's the engine mount.

I have been to my mechanic that believes that it's the gearbox beginning to fail (he checked and says the engine mounting is okay). I have made sure that the fluid is adequate. The last time I checked for the fluid was 2 weeks ago and amp ll of a sudden today it's very low.

I topped up the fluid today and the thump isn't as hard as it has been feeling but I feel the problem is still there. I had my fears about this and my worst fears seem to be coming true....

Just a few questions relating to some experiences to see what people think
Sometime ago, I was trying to park at shoprite in Surulere. They have very steep ramps in their multi storey car park probably around 30 degrees. I was climbing the ramp slowly and halfway up the ramp, the car stopped and it felt like it just couldn't deliver enough power to climb up the ramp. I had to go down and come up with more momentum for the car to actually go up.

More recently, I was trying to park on a rough street. I was moving in reverse and I had to climb over a very small stone. The car couldn't deliver any power to climb over that stone. Feeling was similar to what I experienced on the ramp.

So to the experts.. Do these 2 incidents relate to the failing CVT?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 3:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
I had similar problems on a Nissan CVT. And i found out this same problem was consistent with The first generation Nissan CVT transmission.
Mine always happen at mid day when the sun is up and my engine is hot

Some people say its an Error in the transmission ECU, others Say the transmission valve body is bad and the rest say It is fried
I will advice

1. Disconnect battery terminals for 20 mins to reset the ECU and see if it stops
2. If it continues try flushing the Trans fluid
3. I know most people changed their transmission valve body and it stopped

i haven't done mine yet but would update if i do
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2012
I did a tune up last week and every thing is running fine no tranny slips
The mech warned me on not to use any thing other than PREMIUM GASOLINE. I suspect it was a gas station that sold regular in the premium tank

Do a tune up and see if you notice any changes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips When Your Car Is On Fire - FRSC / PAN Nigeria Unveils 301-wildfire Car / 1.3 Million Ford F-150 Recalled Due To Doors That May Open On Motion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.