Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected (107904 Views)

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey / How To Grow Our Hair Longer And Healthier / How Do I Make My Hair Longer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 9:52am On Mar 08, 2013
This thread is for girls who are fed up of having short hair and want to grow it long.

All you have to do is to ask me any question bothering you as you achieve the length you aspire or you can share your hair growth problems or remedies.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by roseisaac(f): 10:47am On Mar 08, 2013
pls may is very short,i want it to grow longer.am new here on naira land looking for girl frnds as wel.email rose_isaac@yahoo.com.bye ya

3 Likes

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
rose isaac: pls may is very short,i want it to grow longer.am new here on naira land looking for girl frnds as wel.email rose_isaac@yahoo.com.bye ya
Hi... I am also new. U're welcome.

I need you to tell me your hair condition at the moment, is it over relaxed? Are you observing thinning, or breakage? Hair color? And the length in inches?

African hair has the ability to grow as long as other races. You dnt av to be multiracial to have long hair. The natural, coily texture of our hair make it fragile than other races' hair. This is because, caucasian hair molecules are circular yle that of asian are spherical, making it easy for the natural oil secreted from the scalp to circulate to the tip of the hair. African hair molecules are spiral instead making it difficult for the oil secreted tru the scalp to circulate to the tip of the hair thats why the tip of our hair continually breaks.

All hair grows an average of half inch per month, so annually, u grow 6 inches on an average, bt its how you treat your hair that determines how much you'll retain. All you need is your commitment to healthy hair practice and treating your hair with care.

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by ovalrose(f): 4:03pm On Mar 08, 2013
@poster,mi man loves my hair natural,but its not long. Its texture is coarse and so thick,getting a comb into it before applying hair dressing gives me a headache. Its black,too,thanks to dye shampoos and dressings,but i go green with envy whenever i see any woman whose natural hair is longer than mine. Mind,i use Herba-Rich Creme of Nature kit to relax my hair,but hair creams are absolutely anything containing protein,placenta and panthenol. Any tips on extending the length?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by LoveAmaka88(f): 6:37pm On Mar 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2013
ovalrose: Any tips on extending the length?
You have to learn how to retain your growth and you could also increase your anagen (growth phase) which will allow your hair to grow much longer before it enters its resting and shedding phases. Take good multi-vitamin with minerals, this can really help with your hair growth. You need vits like B12, C, A, E and Zinc, the mineral silica and protein L-cysteine to really increase hair growth. Or use a good hair fertilizer product.

You have to be careful when choosing your hair products, avoid ones containing:
* Isopropyl alcohol
* Propylene glycol
* Mineral oil or Petroleum
* Sodium lauryl sulfate SLS
* Sodium laureth sulfate SLES
* Chlorine
* Diethanolamine
* Monoethnanolamine
* Triethanolamin
* Imidazolidinyl
* Urea DMDM Hydantoin.
They strips hair of critical moisture making it more prone to breakage.

You dont need to shampoo your hair regularly. Shampoo strips hair of moisture causing it to break so rather, if you must you could co-wash it instead. That is, using only conditioner. Shampoo your hair only if it is too oily and dirty for conditioner to handle.

Moisturize your hair after. Begin with clean hair, divide ur hair into sections, apply water-based moisturizers to your hair, I use 911 leave-in conditional. Then seal your hair with oil-based moisturizer like jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil and pomegranate seed. Then style your hair. Remember to deep condition your hair atleast twice a month.

Wrap your hair with a satin scarf when you want to sleep. Wear your hair up whenever possible.

Tip- when moisturizing your hair focus more on the tips and comb your hair with a wide tooth comb gently like you do for a baby. Remember African hair is much more delicate than caucasian hair, it breaks easily. Asian hair is the toughest of all, hardly breaks.

7 Likes

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by ovalrose(f): 11:26am On Mar 09, 2013
Oh,thank u very much@poster. U are now my new 'ife'. gringringrin
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 4:44pm On Mar 09, 2013
ovalrose: Oh,thank u very much@poster. U are now my new 'ife'. gringringrin
Hahahaha! U're absolutely welcome.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 4:45pm On Mar 09, 2013
ovalrose: Oh,thank u very much@poster. U are now my new 'ife'. gringringrin
Hahahaha! U're absolutely welcome.

Remember to brief me about the outcome, it is highly appreciated.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by BukkyDan(f): 5:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
Hy..I really appreciate the above infos.
My problem is that my front hair is too scanty, I mean along the hairline, its very very scanty, what can I do to make it full,long and thicker?
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by dominique(f): 6:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
Ife, your head dey there jor. Your post is on point. I like my hair length but I don't mind if it can get longer. My hairstylist advised me to trim my hair once a month to avoid split ends, but I only trim it everytime I retouch which could be once in 3 months.
@bukkydan, which products do you use? I'll suggest you deep-condition the hair using organics root stimlator conditioner. By deep-conditioning, you apply a generous amount of the conditioner to your hair after wash and cover it with a shower cap for about 30 mins before washing it off. The conditioner will strengthen the roots to prevent breakage. But don't use anyhow conditioner o (esp the nameless ones used in salons). I recommend oragnics product. I've also heard shea-butter mixed with coconut oil is very good for the hair. Heard it strengthens and makes it grow fast. Never used it myself but I've heard testimonies. You can also try it, I intend to do so as soon as I get original coconut oil.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Doc2b: 11:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
hi poster i love ur thread pls waz d effect of nt washn off deep conditioner and which is less harmful chemical in shampoos sodium lauryl sulphate or monoethanolamine lauryl sulphate
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 9:04am On Mar 10, 2013
BukkyDan: Hy..I really appreciate the above infos.
My problem is that my front hair is too scanty, I mean along the hairline, its very very scanty, what can I do to make it full,long and thicker?
Thanks
Thanks.

Hair loss can occur due 2 a range of reasons: poor health, illness, stress, use of harmful substances on ur hair, genetics, hard combing, etc. D first step to do is to identify the cause of your hair loss, so u wouldn't endanger ur new growth anylonger.
Wen growing back ur front hair u would definitely nt experience drastic regrowth bt b delligient and consistent in ur treatment and you'll see d difference.

* To an already clean hair, apply a mixture of African sheabutter, honey and coconut oil or carrot oil daily to your front hair.
* Scritching daily- Scritching is like massaging ur scalp with d pads of ur fingers nd lightly wit d tips of ur nails. Its really maximize ur growth results, u should scritch ur hair daily afta oiling ur scalp. It also aids in circulation, bringing blood 2 ur scalp 2 feed ur hair.
* Since your front hair is obviously delicate and fragile, you have to b careful wen combing and relaxing the new growth.
* Deep condition with olive oil and honey. Meas ure 1tbsp (15ml) of olive oil and honey respectively. Melt the mixture in the microwave. Apply to your hair. Cover ur hair with warm towel 4 30 mins or a plastic/shower cap for 1hr. Shampoo your hair.

TIPS:
Trimming ur hair once in 3 mths will help it grow bcus it will take d dead weight of it. Minimize chemical treatment, it changes d color or structure of ur hair and also weaken it. Minimize any styling dat tugs @ ur hair, limit the use of glued-in extensions, tight braids, gel hairstyles, etc. They only place an excessive amount of stress on d hair. Minimize heat exposure like blow dryer, hair straightner, etc. Heat can pull out moisture and sometimes fry your hair irrepairably.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 9:12am On Mar 10, 2013
dominique: Ife, your head dey there jor. Your post is on point. I like my hair length but I don't mind if it can get longer. My hairstylist advised me to trim my hair once a month to avoid split ends, but I only trim it everytime I retouch which could be once in 3 months.
Thanks.

You r right to trim it every 3 mths, trimming it every mth would not allow u to notice the growth.

You have no problem with your hair growth obviously but you could increase your growth phase by taking more vitamins and minerals, using african sheabutter and honey, scritching daily and moisturising ur hair with both water-based and oil-based moisturizers.

Handle your hair with care and be gentle when combing to minimize breakage.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 9:47am On Mar 10, 2013
Doc2b: hi poster i love ur thread pls waz d effect of nt washn off deep conditioner and which is less harmful chemical in shampoos sodium lauryl sulphate or monoethanolamine lauryl sulphate
Thanks alot.

Conditioner of any type can be used as moisturiser but with caution.
* Using a silicone rinse- out conditioner is not ideal unless you shampoo your hair.
* Conditioners which contain protein (hydrolysed protein or amino acids) has been shown to cause irritation and itchness in some people.
* Rinse-out conditioners can contribute to build up of residue making your hair feel heavy and dirty.

Precautions to take if you want to use deep conditioner as daily moisturiser:
* Don't put the conditioner on your scalp . Target the ends of your hair and leave about 1-2 inches from your scalp alone.
* Read the ingredient list avoid silicones in the top 5 list of your conditioner.
* Pick a conditioner without protein.
* Rinse your hair thorougly, when u eventually want to wash it off.

TIP- After washing your hair and rinsing it thoroughly, dillute the conditioner, apply it to the ends of your hair.

The decision on which is less harmful depends on you, but I will give reasons why the both are considered to be harmful.
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE- It is a cheap foaming and thickening agent that strips hair of moisture and causes skin and scalp irritation. 95% of hair shampoos contain this ingredient and should be avoided completely.
MONOETHNANOLAMINE (MEA)- Is used as an ingredient in neutralizing shampoos and other hair care products. Repeated skin application of this ingredient is known to form cancer causing nitrates.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by dupsiiee(f): 9:10pm On Mar 10, 2013
I have my hair completely natural without relaxer cos I didn't like how my formerly long hair became brown and short when I was using relaxer. Despite being natural, it's still not really long.... Please can one get all those mentioned vitamins 4rm fruits?
Could you please recommend a very good hair cream?
Could you please advise on hairstyles to avoid to stop cutting of front hair? Thanks
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Doc2b: 9:17am On Mar 11, 2013
12 and 8 inch long i plan 2 grow it 2 waist length had longr hair b4 i encounterd ths setback@ife
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by ovalrose(f): 11:12am On Mar 11, 2013
@poster,excuse me,ife migrin I need to ask you something,please. Those chemicals you mentioned to be avoided,where are they usually found? In hair dressings or relaxers? And,as im bald or have no front hair,what kind of braids can help or hinder hair growth?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Wislet(f): 2:32pm On Mar 11, 2013
@OP.
Is there any cream to make hair very soft?
I have long hair, but i can't carry it like that without weaving 'cos it's stubborn! And i'd soooo love to wear my natural hair.
Is it possible to make african stubborn hair to really 'sleep'? Like...get really soft, and u can just comb it and wear it like that, or style if u want.
Sometimes i envy the 'oyinbos' smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by ovalrose(f): 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
Wislet: @OP.
I have long hair, but i can't carry it like that without weaving 'cos it's stubborn! And i'd soooo love to wear my natural hair.
Is it possible to make african stubborn hair to really 'sleep'? Like...get really soft, and u can just comb it and wear it like that, or style if u want.
I swear by mi coconut oil! grin
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
a
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 9:15pm On Mar 11, 2013
awesome thread poster, i hv long natural hair bt my prblm is whnever i wash it i always c alot of tiny broken hairs all ovr d place tried deep conditioning, daily moisturisn etc bt notng seems 2 wrk pls hw cn i rectify ds prblm
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by queenesthr(f): 2:51pm On Mar 13, 2013
I have a comprehensive range of hair treatment and Hair loss control products clinically proven to stop hair loss and hair thinning and ensure rapid hair growth for both men and women. I have minoxidil drops too.

Our shampoo is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) free!!!

Contact me on 08034708929 or chynweod@yahoo.com if interested

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by queenesthr(f): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
I have a comprehensive range of hair treatment and Hair loss control products clinically proven to stop hair loss and hair thinning and ensure rapid hair growth for both men and women. I also have minoxidil drops.

Our shampoo is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) free!!!

Contact me on 08034708929 or chynweod@yahoo.com if interested

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2013
I am so sorry for not replying on time, I was really loaded at my place of work.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 2:34pm On Mar 18, 2013
dupsiiee: I have my hair completely natural without relaxer cos I didn't like how my formerly long hair became brown and short when I was using relaxer. Despite being natural, it's still not really long.... Please can one get all those mentioned vitamins 4rm fruits?
Could you please recommend a very good hair cream?
Could you please advise on hairstyles to avoid to stop cutting of front hair? Thanks
Yes, those vitamins mentioned above can be found in both fruits and vegetables.

It is advisable to avoid the use of hair creams because most of them contain petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and lanolin which coats the hair heavily and does nothing beneficial to the hair.

After your daily co-wash, apply leave-in conditioner followed by a good oil-moisturizer. I use both pink oil and organics olive-oil.

PS: Afro hair tends to shrink rather than grow out because of its coily nature. You could pull a strand out and see the length if you want to reassure yourself that it is growing.

Short braids are advisable becus ur fragile hair gets pulled when long braids are done. If u choose to do long braids, then alway pack it up- advisably in bun- to prevent the weight from pulling ur hair out. Thin braiding is not also advisable, opt for pencil sized braids instead.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Doc2b:
12 and 8 inch long i plan 2 grow it 2 waist length had longr hair b4 i encounterd ths setback@ife

My idea might be a bit difficult but a sacrifice has to b done. You have to trim your hair down to the shorter length that way your hair can then grow out evenly with the application of your hair treatment.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 2:49pm On Mar 18, 2013
ovalrose: @poster,excuse me,ife migrin I need to ask you something,please. Those chemicals you mentioned to be avoided,where are they usually found? In hair dressings or relaxers? And,as im bald or have no front hair,what kind of braids can help or hinder hair growth?

They are found in 95% of all hair care products including hair dressings and relaxers.

I gave some useful tips above on how to grow your front hair which should be helpful. When braiding, try not to pick it too thin.

TIPS:
When doing cornrows eg ghana weaving, ensure that the hair-dresser begin with your hair before adding the extension.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 3:36pm On Mar 18, 2013

Africa hair are prone to dryness and breakage. The curly nature of our hair sometimes make it look or feel coarser than other hair types. The key to getting smoother and softer hair is to protect the hair strands and regularly drench them with moisturizer.

Moisturizing the hair make it softer and more manageable. You should apply a moisturizing treatment to black hair after daily conditioning. Apply a light coating of jojoba or sesame oil to the ends of your hair to keep it soft and conditioned.

Avoid the use of heat. Heat damage the hair making it feel dry, stiff. Dullness, brittleness and snapping are the most common traits of heat damaged hair.

If your hair is prone to breakage, u can straighten it by applyin a reconstructive protein treatment. Protein can make your hair feel slightly dry, so always follow a strenthening treatment with deep conditioning to add shine and softness.
Removing dry damaged ends can greatly improve the softness and appearance of your hair. You may have to sacrifice some length in quest for softer hair, but its better to get rid of damaged ends as soon as possible. Condition your hair after trimming to help soften and moisturize the ends.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 4:17pm On Mar 18, 2013

Africa hair are prone to dryness and breakage. The curly nature of our hair sometimes make it look or feel coarser than other hair types. The key to getting smoother and softer hair is to protect the hair strands and regularly drench them with moisturizer.

Moisturizing the hair make it softer and more manageable. You should apply a moisturizing treatment to black hair after daily conditioning. Apply a light coating of jojoba or sesame oil to the ends of your hair to keep it soft and conditioned.

Avoid the use of heat. Heat damage the hair making it feel dry, stiff. Dullness, brittleness and snapping are the most common traits of heat damaged hair.

If your hair is prone to breakage, u can straighten it by applyin a reconstructive protein treatment. Protein can make your hair feel slightly dry, so always follow a strenthening treatment with deep conditioning to add shine and softness.
Removing dry damaged ends can greatly improve the softness and appearance of your hair. You may have to sacrifice some length in quest for softer hair, but its better to get rid of damaged ends as soon as possible. Condition your hair after trimming to help soften and moisturize the ends.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Girls Blasted For Exposing Cleavage In Hijab [PICS] / Lady Wears A Bum Short To Young-Shall-Grow Park Onitsha (pic) / A Lady's Outfit To A Church In Delta State Shocks A Man. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.