Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? (2580 Views)

Islamic Cleric Arrested Over 3-day Marathon Sex Deliverance From 'mammy Water' / Can Christians Ever Reconcile This Contradiction? / Deliverance From Four Demonic Kingdoms! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 6:29pm On Dec 07, 2011
Mark 16:17" and these signs shall follow them that believe; in my name shall they cast out DEMONS: they shall speak new tongues" The answer to this question should be NO, but it seems not to be so. Your contribution to this topic will be highly appreciated. God bless. God2man.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 6:44pm On Dec 07, 2011
I will say "NO" because the christian is superior to Satan not to talk of his demons. You can only deliver someone from the hand of a greater one. A christian is greater than the demons. We can cast out devils from a christian , but I won't call it deliverance , I will call it "casting out devils"
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 4:46am On Dec 08, 2011
@Joeagbaje,Have you read this book by Derek Prince? THEY SHALL EXPEL DEMONS. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 7:00am On Dec 08, 2011
Yes I have read the book , and I do read it still for time to time. I learnt a lot, it made casting out of devils very easy.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by mabell: 7:08am On Dec 08, 2011
Maybe I should read this book too, being seeing it around
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 7:17am On Dec 08, 2011
Some of them may be out of circulation soon. I had one book on the same topic , titled "pigs in the parlour" I had it since the 90s . It got missing, I went back to the bookshop but was told its out of circulation. The only person who had the lincense to publish it in Nigeria has stopped . I finally got in one shop, after making several phone calls .
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by HISchild: 7:28am On Dec 08, 2011
@op,

These things are parabolic in nature - "All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:" - Matt 13:34. This verse / these verses, like virtually all of the holy Bible are pointing to a person's salvation by the grace of GOD. First and foremost, the salvation of a person's soul from the righteous wrath of GOD for sin through HIMSELF, in The Person of our Lord JESUS CHRIST by the hearing of the word of GOD - “So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of GOD.” - Rom 10:17.

All mankind is born in sin, but when The Lord JESUS CHRIST saves, by HIS grace and mercy, we are translated / adopted into the Kingdom of GOD - "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son" - Col 1:13. Thus, as a true servant of The Lord GOD, as we preach the gospel to others, and they hear and are saved by the operation of GOD, GOD through us is casting out demons / darkness, etc and translating us to The Light, also illustrated by The Lord JESUS casting out demons, literally, out of people, as well as healing the sick, raising the dead - these were all signs pointing to salvation of the soul. "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not." - 1 John 5:18

Though the gift of speaking in tongues is quite real, as affirmed by GOD through the apostle Paul -"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. " -1 Cor 14:18 -19;
And the apostles spoke in the native tongues of the people to whom they preached after they received the HOLY SPIRIT, I believe that the new tongues here is unfettered praise to GOD as a result of being truly saved. We sing / speak GOD's great praises that are acceptable to HIM through our Lord JESUS CHRIST - "And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD." - Psa_40:3

Also note that GOD protects HIS own from evil and evil forces - (Psalm 91), Glory be to GOD in the Highest!
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Lasinoh: 10:10am On Dec 08, 2011
[b] [size=20pt]

<< Matthew 12:26 >>

New International Version (©1984)
If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?

New Living Translation (©2007)
And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is divided and fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive.

English Standard Version (©2001)
And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

International Standard Version (©2008)
So if Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How, then, can his kingdom stand?

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
And if Satan casts out Satan, he has been divided against himself; how therefore will his Kingdom stand?

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
If Satan forces Satan out, he is divided against himself. How, then, can his kingdom last?

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

American King James Version

American Standard Version
and if Satan casteth out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand?

Douay-Rheims Bible
And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself: how then shall his kingdom stand?

Darby Bible Translation
And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom subsist?

English Revised Version
and if Satan casteth out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand?

Webster's Bible Translation
And if Satan casteth out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand?

Weymouth New Testament
And if Satan is expelling Satan, he has begun to make war on himself: how therefore shall his kingdom last?

World English Bible
If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?

Young's Literal Translation
and if the Adversary doth cast out the Adversary, against himself he was divided, how then doth his kingdom stand?
[/size][/b]
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
An excerpt from the book, THEY SHALL EXPEL DEMONS; a pastor in Florida describes his experience in dealing with a young homosexual: "Pastor," the young man in my office wept, "somebody's got to help me! I can't go on any longer." He bent forward in the large platform chair. "Two years ago I was born again. I really love the Lord, but still have a powerful lust for other men." We waited until he regained his composure. "Before i was saved, i was a homosexual. Since then i haven't committed that sin--- but the desire is still in me, and I'm afraid I can't keep it under control much longer. I went to my pastor for deliverance, but he says it's impossible for a christian to have a demon of homosexuality and that I'll just have to exercise discipline." He looked at me with distress gripping his face. "But discipline isn't the answer! I know there's a perverse spirit in my body. It is there! Deliverance is the only hope I have. Can you help me? He began weeping again. I waited until he had regained his composure. Then I explained, "I wish it were true that christians were immune to demonic invasion. Unfortunately, our corruptible has not yet 'put on incorruption,' and our mortal has not yet 'put on immortality,' as it says in 1 corinthians 15:54. Until that happens, our minds and bodies will be vulnerable to the enemy. A demon can go anywhere that sin and disease can go. If a christian can have either of these, he's also subject to having a demon. "
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 1:53pm On Dec 09, 2011
He listened intently. "Receiving ministry today obligates you to a series of follow-up appointments in the future. This is not a one-time session. Jesus warned that when the unclean spirit leaves a person, it goes through dry places seeking rest and finds none. Ultimately, it will return to the same person and try to gain reentry. If it succeeds, that person's final condition will be worse than before. You absolutely must guard against that happening. To prevent it, you have to maintain a life of devotion to God, fellowship with other spirit-filled believers, and sincerely read your Bible. Doing that will strenghten your relationship with the Lord." He agreed. " I want you to lean back in the chair and listen carefully to what I say," I went on. If you comply with God's terms, you will be set free. The scripture promises that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be delivered. Then I led the young man in a proclamation renouncing every occult, unclean activity in which he had ever been involved. Then he verbally forgave everyone who had ever harmed him, including the men who had abused him sexually in childhood. "It's important that you understand i will be speaking directly to the spirit," I continued," and not to you. You must listen carefully, but stay out of the way. Don't allow the demon's threats to intimidate you, and don't protect it." He leaned back,eyes closed, as we began.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 2:18pm On Dec 09, 2011
In a quiet but authoritative voice, I started quoting scripture to the spirit. I chose verses reminding it of satan's failure and Jesus' victory. Heb2:14-15,Mark 16:17, Luke 10:19, 2Corinthians 10:4-5, For about twenty minutes I continued quoting scripture. Several times the young man smiled at me with a seduction,sexy grin. Recognizing that this was merely a manifestation of the spirit, I continued. Suddenly, when I quoted Romans 16:20; "The God of peace will crush satan under your feet shortly," something amazing happened. The young man twisted sideways in the chair, grabbed the arm with both hands and went into a violent, epileptic-like seizure. His body lurched forward in a furious, hammering fashion, vibrating sideways at the same time. I held him as much as i could. It was ugly. Yes, demons are ugly. The sound coming out of him was equally astonishing. A bellowing noise, like that of a wounded bull,roared from his body. The events of Philip's preaching in samaria immeditely came to mind: Unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed" Acts8:7; and Jesus' delivering the afflicted child when "the spirit cried out,convulsed him greatly, and came out of him" Mark9:26. The seizure lasted several minutes as i continued to rebuke the spirit, commanding it to be quiet and to go. Then, as suddenly as the seizure had begun, the young man collasped back in the chair,phsically and emotionally spent. The room became quiet. The spirit was gone.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 2:26pm On Dec 09, 2011
Slowly,reverently, as in worship,the youth raised both arms over his head, weeping and laughing,"it's gone! It's gone! I felt it go. Praise God, I'm free! It's gone!" A moment later he rose from the chair, spending the next half hour walking through the offices,singing,laughing,shouting. " Thank You, Jesus! It's gone! It's gone! Thank You, Jesus!"
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 3:06pm On Dec 09, 2011
So, back to our questions: DO CHRISTIANS EVER NEED DELIVERANCE FROM DEMONS? The answer to this question seem a bit complicated, it could be NO, if the christians develop the potential embedded in the God-given authourity, John1:11-13, to the highest level of an active,dedicated winner of souls and even a preacher who reaches to multitude or an intercessor who brings many to birth through prayer. The answer to the qustions could also be YES, if the christians just choose not to develop the God-given authority in John1:11-13, such christians simply become a respectable church member, or bench warmer so to say. The difference lies in the degree to which they use their God-given authority. This authority is still effective, sometimes demons go out automatically, but usually they have to be driven out. It would be naive to assume that being born again means we shall never be subjected to demonic pressure. On the contrary, satan is more likely to increase his pressure against us when we become christians, especially if we become a serious threat to his kingdom. It is even serious for those whose previous way of life kept them in strong bondage to him. That is why Apostle Peter warned us that" Be sober,be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, stedfast in the faith, 1 peter 5:8. I would advise all christians to read this inspiring book. THEY SHALL EXPEL DEMONS. By Derek prince God bless you. God2man.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by ichuka(m): 9:45pm On Dec 10, 2011
@op.
Deliverance is a continual process in the life of a Christain.thats the meaning of the verses you quoted(Jhn1:11-13).its needed until we(Christains) are fully adopted and redeemed as sons of God(Rom8:23).
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 5:29am On Dec 11, 2011
@God2man
The term deliverance is my concern here. A natural man who is not born again is under the dominion of darkness. But salvation is our deliverance from the devil. When a man is saved he is delivered. The Greek word "soteria" means salvation and also deliverance . We were delivered from dark kingdom when we got saved

Colossians 1:13
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

If a christian man have demons in him, several things can be responsible . It could be that the demons which left him came back through his carelessness. But that's not even the point. We are not contesting the fact that a christian can have a demon in him, it's possible. Several things can open him up. Such as sin. Ignorance of the word of God, unforgivieness, bitterness and and many other things.

My concern is the terminology used by ministers for the process of expelling a demon "deliverance" a christian is a Boss to Satan. If you don't know who you are ,Satan will take advantage. A christian has authority over Satan , not to talk about his demons. So "I need deliverance from this demon" sounds degrading to me for a son of God.

Luke 10:19
19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by ichuka(m): 11:35am On Dec 12, 2011
@joagbaye.
An example of what am saying is "Lies".Christains consciously or not,do tell lies.and there's a spirit/demon thats in charge of lies(1King22:22;"i will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all the prophets"wink.and the source of all lies is Satan(John8:44;when he(satan)lies,he speaks his native language,for he is a liar and the father of LIES).thats just one and there are a thousand and one things we have to be deliver/free from.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 2:53pm On Dec 12, 2011
^^^
The lying spirit in the svripture you gave has to do with demonic deception. It is not every Sin that is demonic. They are works of the flesh. I agree there is a demonic lie especially against ministers as we see on NL here. However most people lie due to little fears or consequences of telling truth. Not necessary a satanic thing.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by ichuka(m): 6:03pm On Dec 12, 2011
@joagbaye
wether big,small,half or whatever form you put it, its still a Lie,and the source of all lies is Satan,anyone that lies speaks Satans native language,
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by God2man(m): 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2011
The life of a man is shrouded in mystery. A man of God gave an example of a servant of God that was troubled with the spirit of lust. Any time he sees a woman, he always feel a kind of sexual urge towards the opposite sex. He was sincere. He went to God in prayer, fasting and prayer, then the Lord revealed to him. The Lord gave him a revelation. When he was a baby, his mother gave him to a neighbour to look after, before she comes back from the market. This particular neighbour has been looking for the fruit of the womb. The information the herbalist gave this woman was to rub the private part of the baby, and use the hand to rub her body and that after that she will get pregnant. So, this woman rubbed the private part of this little innocent baby, while the real mother went to the market. As from that moment the spirit of lust has gained entrance into the life of this servant of God. After the fasting and prayer, the Lord set him free from that urge. There are deep things in a believer's life, only God can unravel it. At new birth, it is only the spirit, that is recreated and become the abode of God. A demon cannot inhabit the spirit of a christian. The new birth is the rebirth of the spirit not the soul. Also, the new birth is not a rebirth of a man's body. It is not a physical,but a spiritual change. We need to get our mind renewed with the word of God, (Roman 12:1-2) so that our spirit, the real man working with our mind, can govern our body. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by gotizsata: 10:45pm On Dec 12, 2011
ha ha ha
jesus used to think mentally retarded people have demons
pls guys give evidence that demons exist
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by wesley80(m): 11:50pm On Dec 12, 2011
Joagbaje:

@God2man
The term deliverance is my concern here. A natural man who is not born again is under the dominion of darkness. But salvation is our deliverance from the devil. When a man is saved he is delivered. The Greek word "soteria" means salvation and also deliverance . We were delivered from dark kingdom when we got saved

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

If a christian man have demons in him, several things can be responsible . It could be that the demons which left him came back through his carelessness. But that's not even the point. We are not contesting the fact that a christian can have a demon in him, it's possible. Several things can open him up. Such as sin. Ignorance of the word of God, unforgivieness, bitterness and and many other things.

My concern is the terminology used by ministers for the process of expelling a demon "deliverance" a christian is a Boss to Satan. If you don't know who you are ,Satan will take advantage. A christian has authority over Satan , not to talk about his demons. So "I need deliverance from this demon" sounds degrading to me for a son of God.

19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Joagbaje:

@God2man

Is there a term you'd rather have people use? IMHO, Deliverance is a safe enough term, its not like its being mistaken for Salvation.
Great thread . God bless you guys.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by ichuka(m): 1:37am On Dec 13, 2011
@op
Thank God the servant of God seek help on time and l presume some brethren were not inflicted with the spirit of lust.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 7:42am On Dec 13, 2011
@wesley80

wesley80:

Is there a term you'd rather have people use? IMHO, Deliverance is a safe enough term, its not like its being mistaken for Salvation.
Great thread . God bless you guys.

Well if a christian has issue with demons which needs to be cast out ,we should simply call it "casting out of demons" that's the term Jesus used.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by wesley80(m): 9:19am On Dec 13, 2011
^^ That means he was 'delivered' from demonic oppression doesnt it? I think it all boils down to individual interpretation of the term. While it can be argued that the term 'deliverance' kind of creates a consciousness of a Christian being subject to demonic influence, it remains a fact that a Christain under demonic influence requires some sort of 'deliverance' from such oppression. I dont think any other word exist to take its place but at the same time its meaning must not be miscontrued or confused with Salvation.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by chiteny(m): 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2011
I will say "NO" because the christian is superior to Satan not to talk of his demons. You can only deliver someone from the hand of a greater one. A christian is greater than the demons. We can cast out devils from a christian , but I won't call it deliverance , I will call it "casting out devils"

Please Joagbaje Sir, explain your statement above. It seems to contradict itself saying No and then Yes. undecided undecided
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by chiteny(m): 2:39pm On Dec 13, 2011
From some comments on this topic i am tempted to ask this question. For someone who is a christian (and has the holyspirt inside of him - his spirit being regenerated) and is demon possessed (having a demon or devil inside of him which needs to be casted out), does it mean that the Holyspirit and a demon spirit can dwell in the same body? Please i need answers as some comments quite confusing and making this topic look complicated.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 7:21am On Dec 14, 2011
chiteny:

Please Joagbaje Sir, explain your statement above. It seems to contradict itself saying No and then Yes. undecided undecided

It's like a police man with a gun asking to be deliver red from from 2 men who have no firepower. The suffering of any christian as regard demons is based on ignorance. That doesn't mean the demon is more powerful.  A christian can get demon off himself. You have 2 options. Run from the dog or turn around and charge at the dog. I believe the term " I want to be delivered from Satan or demon" give the devil unnecessary honour.

James 4:7
. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by chiteny(m): 8:06am On Dec 14, 2011
^^^ Ok Sir. So that means the devil and the holy spirit can dwell in the same human body right?
Re: Do Christians Ever Need Deliverance From Demons? by Joagbaje(m): 10:35am On Dec 14, 2011
Yes of course ! But the devil is an illegal occupant. That's why the christian has right to eject tnem

(1) (Reply)

The Church Of Satan, Super Stars And The Horn Sign / Egypt's Coptic Christians Choose New Pope / Why Do Chriistains Refer To Jesus As God And Son Of God At Thesame Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.