Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 (3509 Views)

2 Nigerian Clerics Nominated For The Nobel Peace Prize In 2012, Oritsejafor NOT! / Archbishop Onaiyekan And Sultan Of Sokoto Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Theist Jewish Scientist Daniel Shechtman Wins 2011 Nobel Prize In Chemistry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2011
Tawakkol Karman will be the youngest person to receive the prize

Nobel Peace Prize winners Tawakkol Karman of Yemen, left, Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, center, and Liberian president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf display their diplomas and medals at City Hall in in Oslo, Norway Saturday Dec. 10, 2011. The peace prize committee awarded the prize to Karman, Johnson-Sirleaf and Gbowee for championing women's rights in regions where oppression is common and helping women participate in peace-building., (AP Photo/John McConnico)

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/world-events-1316137200-slideshow/nobel-peace-prize-winners-tawakkol-karman-yemen-left-photo-125455527.html
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2011

Journalists asked Tawakkol Karman with suprise whether she does not see her mode of dressing as something which contradicts her education and intellectual level as the hijab is viewed as oppression of women and backwardness.

Karman answered them with very simplistic and wise words:

[size=14pt]"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times".[/size]
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by aletheia(m): 3:48pm On Dec 11, 2011
Is it the hijab that is your problem? You didn't see the portion below in your post?
LagosShia:

Tawakkol Karman will be the youngest person to receive the prize
The peace prize committee awarded the prize to Karman, Johnson-Sirleaf and Gbowee for championing women's rights in regions where oppression is common
Talk about tunnel vision!

Now what region is Karman from? The Middle-East - home to Islam, (the religion that oppresses women).
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 4:14pm On Dec 11, 2011
aletheia:

Is it the hijab that is your problem? You didn't see the portion below in your post?Talk about tunnel vision!

Now what region is Karman from? The Middle-East - home to Islam, (the religion that oppresses women).

to confused souls,or rather deceitful christian missionaries,you really do not see differences between perverts who claim to be muslims and the religion of Islam.can be also fight against christianity for the perverts among its pastors and priests who abuse children and se.xually assault women in places of worship?many idio.ts see the hijab as female oppression.yet we have a woman here fighting oppression against women who is herself a muslim and wearing hijab and sees no problem with that.that is because she is able to differeniate between the good things in Islam and the foolishness of men based on their individual actions.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by aletheia(m): 5:32pm On Dec 11, 2011
^So the hijab is your problem, right? What about the oppression of women in the name of your god and prophet? There you go taking off at a tangent as usual. What are you doing about injunctions such as a woman not driving a car? Or the more recent confounded tomfoolery about bananas and cucumbers?
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by deols(f): 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2011
this is good. A role model, she is!!!!!!

I have always told people who claim Islam puts women in a surbodinate position to men to stop judging Islam from their own perspective or a western one. Let them ask us, Mulim women what we think of our religion. what we think of hijab, what we think of the position Islam puts us. What they do is like asking an Oyinbo man about Amala. He might c it as not too goodlooking as it is black in colour but we alone understand the feeling we get by eating it.

#proudMuslimahtalking#
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2011
aletheia:

^So the hijab is your problem, right? What about the oppression of women in the name of your god and prophet? There you go taking off at a tangent as usual. What are you doing about injunctions such as a woman not driving a car? Or the more recent confounded tomfoolery about bananas and cucumbers?

hijab can never be my problem.good that you said "in the name of".this woman is a role model for practicing muslim women.she showed us that you can be a muslim woman and be great,educated and enlightened.so all the propaganda threads that Islam is against women is null and void.

as for women not allowed to drive,i'm sure you are refering to wahhabi saudi arabia.the problem with your likes is that you do not look for the good examples to paint Islam for what it really is.you look for the "weak links" and the exceptions.why dont you tell us that in the Islamic Republic of Iran and other Islamic countries women are not only allowed to drive but they have become vice-presidents,prime ministers and presidents?

your goal is not to look for the truth in Islam.your goal is to tarnish the image of Islam through the wrong actions of muslims and using that as propaganda.that has being the reality on Nairaland.as much as i accept that Islam is the perfect and divine religion on earth,i can confidently and with no regret tell you that muslims are far from perfect and they are no angels.if at all,you can count non-muslims that could be better examples implementing islamic principles in their lives unaware than the muslims.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by plappville(f): 7:50pm On Dec 11, 2011
There is no positive truth in islam, a sect, cult created to distroy humanity.
Stop decieving urself with price etc, This cant change what islam really is. Total oppression for women in Saudi, common man leave stories on move on angry angry
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by divinereal: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2011

"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times".

unclothedness is not a sign of backwardness as humans wear clothing Or the lack thereof that they adapt to their environment. More grease to her elbows for what she is doing but her aforementioned statement is a load of crap. Secondly, it's funny how a bunch of west Africans are jumping to support some Yemeni lady while 2 Liberian women also won the award. Lastly, why do these Muslim folk keep talking about child molestation and sexual deviance as if it is only a Christian problem? Several imams have been caught physically and sexually abusing young boys and girls. Pedophilia is institutionalized in Islam as there is no age limit for marriage, our dear senator from the North that married a 13 year old egyptian.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2011
Like i pointed out on the duplicate thread, do not make her nobel prize about her hijab. Focus on her achievements instead of the s.tupid question asked by the reporter who was acting like he'd never seen a woman with hijab before.

When another year the nobel committe decides to award the prize to the foremost idol worshipper in the world, and he or she shows up with a bunch of their favorite idols, i'll see what you have to say.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 12, 2011
LagosShia:

Journalists asked Tawakkol Karman with suprise whether she does not see her mode of dressing as something which contradicts her education and intellectual level as the hijab is viewed as oppression of women and backwardness.

Karman answered them with very simplistic and wise words:

[size=14pt]"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times".[/size]

According to tawwakol, your level of intellect and sophistication is dictated by the area of skin covered by clothes?  grin So the half-Unclad Egyptians who built the pyramids where what? Of low intellect? So if i start dressing in body bags i would have reached the heady heights of intellect and sophistication?

Tawwa! Only you!  cheesy

LagosShia:

Nobel Peace Prize winners Tawakkol Karman of Yemen, left, Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, center, and Liberian president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf display their diplomas and medals at City Hall in in Oslo, Norway Saturday Dec. 10, 2011. The peace prize committee awarded the prize to Karman, Johnson-Sirleaf and Gbowee for championing women's rights in regions where oppression is common and helping women participate in peace-building.

Of course . . . islam tops the list . . . and they are not ashamed.  grin
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 12, 2011
deols:

this is good. A role model, she is!!!!!!

I have always told people who claim Islam puts women in a surbodinate position to men to stop judging Islam from their own perspective or a western one. Let them ask us, Mulim women what we think of our religion. what we think of hijab, what we think of the position Islam puts us. What they do is like asking an Oyinbo man about Amala. He might c it as not too goodlooking as it is black in colour but we alone understand the feeling we get by eating it.

#proudMuslimahtalking#

when do we take a poll of Saudi, Iranian or Pakistani women? grin I'm sure they are just as proud to not be able to drive a car, only go to the market in the company of a male or be banned from coming in contact with bananas and cucumbers! Oh dear . . . now that cucumbers have been banned how do they eat a big mac? shocked
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 10:03pm On Dec 12, 2011
divinereal:

"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times".

unclothedness is not a sign of backwardness as humans wear clothing Or the lack thereof that they adapt to their environment. More grease to her elbows for what she is doing but her aforementioned statement is a load of crap. Secondly, it's funny how a bunch of west Africans are jumping to support some Yemeni lady while 2 Liberian women also won the award. Lastly, why do these Muslim folk keep talking about child molestation and intimate deviance as if it is only a Christian problem? Several imams have been caught physically and sexually abusing young boys and girls. Pedophilia is institutionalized in Islam as there is no age limit for marriage, our dear senator from the North that married a 13 year old egyptian.

do not blame the muslims who "also" according to you do that.you should blame those who want to "save" us at all cost! so we are only learning from them O! cheesy
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 10:09pm On Dec 12, 2011
on a serious note,i'm not ready to exchange words with losers in this thread.there is really no need.the stu.pidity comes from those who take the bad actions of muslims for what Islam teaches.they kept on attacking the hijab and you can find on nairaland some threads wanting to "emancipate" muslim women from "oppression" even in the Islam for Muslims section.

i am not taking anything away from the lady.nor do i say a pagan or christian woman cannot also or have not also won the prize or done great achievements.the human spirit is courageous.no doubt.but for those who think muslim women are "oppressed" and may be "backward" because of their modesty as the oyinbo journalist was hinting are plain dumb.this woman has demonstrated her devotion to Islam and showed the world that modesty and hijab is not limitation but in fact strength.this is perhaps a message to backward thinking men like those in saudi who prevent women from driving to rethink.a woman can be muslim and practicing islam and yet successful,courageous,progressive and a role model.all losers should take note and stop whining.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 10:59pm On Dec 12, 2011
i just fail to see what the problem is here.

majority of the nigerian first ladies who are muslim, wore hijab to international summits and meetings.

so what exactly is special now as if hijab is an unusual thing in nigeria?

can someone explain what i'm not getting.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 11:06pm On Dec 12, 2011
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
Turai dnt adhere to strict hijab only Maryam Abacha did in public.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 13, 2011
uplawal:

ok and?
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 12:43am On Dec 14, 2011
bad belleh people!
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 4:43am On Dec 14, 2011
uplawal:

so because she wore african clothes and african styled hijab, its a problem?
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
African fabrics is not the issue,but it should be a long loosed gown,not transparent,and a woman leg is supposed to be covered in islam,and the hijab or ibori tied properly not loosening.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 12:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
^there are different kinds of hijab even in arab countries.

also, not every hijab even in arab regions, covers the leg.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by aletheia(m): 2:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
@uplawal: if your problem is hijab, why did you leave one "hijab-wearing" religion:

to another hijab-wearing one:

Isn't that called jumping from frying pan to fire? grin
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^

The Hijab is a sign of  human advancement , Muhaha.

Sorry to sound so childish but cannot help it ?  grin
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by aletheia(m): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^
That means Catholic nuns must be the most advanced form of life on this earth. . .and Catholicism existed way before Islam. grin grin grin
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 8:17pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 8:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 8:27pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
YES,LIKE THIS or MORE
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 14, 2011
@Aletheia.Hope you know its only nuns that wear scarf,your sisters in church dnt dress that way and their pastors never told them to do so,even a female pastor dress like Nigerian bankers with their designer hairdo flying around,and besides that you see your nun wear is never hijab,as their neck area is showing and their gowns not reaching the ankle,have seen nuns in london that wears shortsleeve t-shirt or blouse with knee reaching skirt,in my own one and only true religion ISLAM,that does not qualify as an hijab,its called SATANIC WEARS.

@Tpia,there is no different hijab,although t depends on the fabrics you use,you could use any fabric that is in accordance with the sharia,but the whole content must be like Allah says in the Quran,anyother interpretation is not accepted,may Allah make it easy on our sisters.

(1) (Reply)

Should There Be Interference In Other Cultures When Rights Are Involved? / Where Did Cain Get His Wife From? / Quran Surahs For Kids – Last 10 Surahs Of Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.