Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Free Meal For Lagos Pupils - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Free Meal For Lagos Pupils (6162 Views)

Troops Hit Boko Haram Fighters Preparing Meal, Advance To Sambisa [PHOTOS] / Flash Back: Osinbajo Promises Free Meal For Students / Jonathan, Reason We Can't Give School Kids Free Meal Or Pay N5,000 Monthly- APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by asha80(m): 7:37am On Dec 14, 2011
Free Meal For Lagos Pupils

Pupils in Lagos public primary schools will be entitled to free meals during school periods beginning from next year.

Governor Fashola

This disclosure was made by the Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Public Health, Dr. Yewande Adeshina, while addressing members of the state House of Assembly yesterday.

Dr. Adeshina said the state government was working on the possibility collaborating with private organisations to bring this to fruition.

“We are working to create an atmosphere where primary school children, from primary one to six, will have access to a meal during the school periods, Monday through Friday.

“We are working in collaboration with some food companies, international partners and we are looking at whether to use the option of pre-package or to use vendors to serve them rice, beans and fried plantain on regular basis under the public-private partnership scheme at that level,” she said, adding that her office had made serious progress on the project.

She said the government is also planning the school clinic projects which would be located in schools. “We are working on a population control policy since the state is having challenges catering for the increasing population.

“We are still trying to figure out whether we should stop catering for families that have more than four children so that they will have to pay for the fifth one. In this case, we may be able to discourage indiscriminate breeding in the state,” she told the lawmakers.

She said the move was to stem the spate of hunger among the school children as it has been observed that children cannot cope with studies when they are hungry.

She noted with dismay that despite the knowledge that hawking of drug is an offence, it has continued within the state. To stem the activities, she said her office had secured the permission of the state governor to establish mobile courts which will try offenders of drug hawking and those selling drugs not meant to be sold.

The Special Adviser, who also used the opportunity to solicit for finance for the various projects she listed for 2012, said the public healthcare revitalisation scheme which is being embarked upon by the state government will gulp N3.7 billion.

According to her, the scheme involves the selection of a primary health centre in each local government and local council development area to be fitted to run for 24 hours and to have about 56 staff each, including three doctors. There will also be a pharmacy, a pharmacists and three pharmacy technologists, a laboratory scientist and three laboratory technologists, 10 nurses and midwives each.

She said her office had done a system audit to know the centres that needed more facilities.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/12/13/free-meal-for-lagos-pupils/
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Nebeuwa(m): 7:55am On Dec 14, 2011
This idea should be implemented throughout Nigeria. Children should not go hungry when they are in school. It is very hard to pay attention to an instructor while you are hungry. This is one small step, but it will provide dividends. I consider it as an investment in our children's future. When children are well fed, they are able to pay attention to their instructors.  In addition, I am also excited about the Public-Private partnership. I know that there will be a lot of charitable organizations that would be interested in partnering with the Lagos State Government in this worthy endeavor. It is my hope that governors from other states will follow this initiative and implement similar initiative in their own respective states.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Afam4eva(m): 8:10am On Dec 14, 2011
I thought when it was introduced by Rochas, people termed it stupid. I want to know what ekoile will say now.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Otunne1: 8:23am On Dec 14, 2011
@afam no mind them my brother, the comedian governor is now teaching them the arts of governance, even the free kero stuff, lagos has also adopted it.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by djustice: 8:39am On Dec 14, 2011
Will the food pay the recently increased tuition fees in LASU?

Will it matter in Lekki Peninsula, where there are very few schools

This is a publicity stunt, aimed at creating a stir, and will die before the year is out. Fashola and Tinubu, his god, are thieves, and there is another scam behind this "kind gesture". We just need to look hard enough when they start.

Awon omo jaguda jatijati!
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Rhino5dm: 8:48am On Dec 14, 2011
^
University education is not a right, but privilege as compare to basic eduction.

afam4eva:

I thought when it was introduced by Rochas, people termed it silly. I want to know what ekoile will say now.

^^
That was a directive from the presidency. So direct you nagging at GEJ.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Rhino5dm: 8:54am On Dec 14, 2011
From the presidency. . .

President Goodluck Jonathan has called on state governments to re-introduce free feeding for primary school pupils to increase school enrolment. Jonathan, who spoke in Kano State, while inaugurating the re-introduction of free feeding for primary pupils by the state government Thursday, noted that the scheme would lessen the burden on less privileged parents.

The President, who was represented by the Minister of State for Education, Mr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, declared that the Federal Government would support any state that sponsors free feeding for primary school pupils.

Read on here. . .
www.allafrica/stories/201112090630.html
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^ Exactly!!

afam4eva:

I thought when it was introduced by Rochas, people termed it silly. I want to know what ekoile will say now.

Well, we know NOW that the project will most likely be paid for by the Federal Government ,and not the State Government in both, probably all states. This is why I am for people making sure they are informed on what is going on. A report some days ago revealed this is all likely a  federally funded Program being taken advantage of by states. I am willing to be that the scheme will be funded by AID from international organizations such as WHO or UN or WFP funded scheme. I saw a documentary on a test of the same in parts of Kenya.

http://www.wfp.org/school-meals
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by asha80(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2011
i wonder if fg is supposed to be involved in primary and secondary school education.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by EkoIle1: 8:52pm On Dec 14, 2011
afam4eva:

Must you market women insert my name into everything?

And you go begin shake and dodge dodge if I ask you to show me where I criticize anybody for feeding school kids.

Silly 419 people,
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by ektbear: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2011
Need more details about how much it will cost, who is paying for it, etc.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Gekko(m): 9:09pm On Dec 14, 2011
asha 80:

Free Meal For Lagos Pupils  

Pupils in Lagos public primary schools will be entitled to free meals during school periods beginning from next year.

Governor Fashola

This disclosure was made by the Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Public Health, Dr. Yewande Adeshina, while addressing members of the state House of Assembly yesterday.

Dr. Adeshina said the state government was working on the possibility collaborating with private organisations to bring this to fruition.

“We are working to create an atmosphere where primary school children, from primary one to six, will have access to a meal during the school periods, Monday through Friday.

“We are working in collaboration with some food companies, international partners and we are looking at whether to use the option of pre-package or to use vendors to serve them rice, beans and fried plantain on regular basis under the public-private partnership scheme at that level,” she said, adding that her office had made serious progress on the project.

She said the government is also planning the school clinic projects which would be located in schools. “We are working on a population control policy since the state is having challenges catering for the increasing population.

“We are still trying to figure out whether we should stop catering for families that have more than four children so that they will have to pay for the fifth one. In this case, we may be able to discourage indiscriminate breeding in the state,” she told the lawmakers.

She said the move was to stem the spate of hunger among the school children as it has been observed that children cannot cope with studies when they are hungry.

She noted with dismay that despite the knowledge that hawking of drug is an offence, it has continued within the state. To stem the activities, she said her office had secured the permission of the state governor to establish mobile courts which will try offenders of drug hawking and those selling drugs not meant to be sold.

The Special Adviser, who also used the opportunity to solicit for finance for the various projects she listed for 2012, said the public healthcare revitalisation scheme which is being embarked upon by the state government will gulp N3.7 billion.

According to her, the scheme involves the selection of a primary health centre in each local government and local council development area to be fitted to run for 24 hours and to have about 56 staff each, including three doctors. There will also be a pharmacy, a pharmacists and three pharmacy technologists, a laboratory scientist and three laboratory technologists, 10 nurses and midwives each.

She said her office had done a system audit to know the centres that needed more facilities.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/12/13/free-meal-for-lagos-pupils/

Obviously, participation of local food vendors will aid the local economy so its unnecessary to bring in international partners.  Not to mention thousands of caterers who are experienced at feeding all those owambes soirees every wkd in Lagos.

Not sure if we should be feeding the young ones fried plantains though, if they want kids to stay alert then they should consider a healthier nutritious option served in a box.  I would recommend sandwiches, vegetables and a side options {baked beans, potatoes}.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by nanidee(f): 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2011
Personally, i dont see the rationale behind this. Besides, i wonder how a largely populated state like Lagos will pull this off. Considering the numerous schools in Lagos, the project will be abandoned in little or no time.

I can imagine that the quality of the food will be sooooo low, that even the 'hungry' children will refuse it.

Let the government improve the standards of living, and the people in turn can adequately cater for their children. Tackle the issue of unemployment, and poverty would be reduced, once poverty is reduced, hunger would follow suit, and the children can learn with 'heavy stomachs' smiley
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Kobojunkie: 10:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^^ Maybe this will help. http://www.wfp.org/school-meals

This program seems to be a part of the WPF school meals program, a project to help feed children, especially those from poor families. Lagos is likely not going to handling the bulk of cost, if any at all.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2011
Good one
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by nanidee(f): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Maybe this will help. http://www.wfp.org/school-meals

This program seems to be a part of the WPF school meals program, a project to help feed children, especially those from poor families. Lagos is likely not going to handling the bulk of cost, if any at all.

i hope the bolded would be the case though.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by EkoIle1: 12:14am On Dec 15, 2011
nanidee:

Personally, i dont see the rationale behind this. Besides, i wonder how a largely populated state like Lagos will pull this off. Considering the numerous schools in Lagos, the project will be abandoned in little or no time.

I can imagine that the quality of the food will be sooooo low, that even the 'hungry' children will refuse it.

[b]Let the government improve the standards of living, [/b]and the people in turn can adequately cater for their children. Tackle the issue of unemployment, and poverty would be reduced, once poverty is reduced, hunger would follow suit, and the children can learn with 'heavy stomachs' smiley

How else do you you improve people's standard of living if not by feeding hungry school kids and giving them a clear shot at a better life and future?

Even back in the 60s and maybe 70s, school kids used to get free meals, milk and shakes daily.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Dec 15, 2011

I don't know about any school feeding program implemented in the 60's and 70's. Definitely none in the 80's since the best we got was Awolowo free education late 70's though 80's. However, I do remember that in 2005, Obasanjo tried the school feeding program, though short-lived, in a couple of states.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by nanidee(f): 1:07am On Dec 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

How else do you you improve people's standard of living if not[b] by feeding hungry school kids[/b] and giving them a clear shot at a better life and future?

Even back in the 60s and maybe 70s, school kids used to get free meals, milk and shakes daily.

So in order words, by feeding hungry school kids, living standards will be raised?

I wasnt born in the 60s or 70s, but I do know that living standards were higher, and definitely NOT because free meals, milk and shakes were daily given to the kids. Besides, the population at that time is a far cry from what we have now.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by EkoIle1: 1:24am On Dec 15, 2011
nanidee:

So in order words, by feeding hungry school kids, living standards will be raised?

I wasnt born in the 60s or 70s, but I do know that living standards were higher, and definitely NOT because free meals, milk and shakes were daily given to the kids. Besides, the population then is a far cry from what we have now.

Proper nutrition is one of the basic aspects of good quality of life. Or is it your judgment that kids are not people too or they don't deserve this aspect of quality of life?

Proper nutrition means less sick and nutrient deficient kids and less strain on your health system and resources

Proper nutrition means efficient learning minds and brains, kids concentrates and learn faster with proper nutrition

Proper nutrition means poor parents are less worried about their kids going to school or missing school because of lack of food

The facts above means you have healthy kids ready to challenge their academic future with less burden on you and the society.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Gekko(m): 1:34am On Dec 15, 2011
nanidee:

I wasnt born in the 60s or 70s, but I do know that living standards were higher, and definitely NOT because free meals, milk and shakes were daily given to the kids. Besides, the population at that time is a far cry from what we have now.

there are tons of research on this already, kids need to eat for their brain to develop, even better if you give them "proper" nutrition.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by ektbear: 4:06am On Dec 15, 2011
Hard to do well in school on an empty stomach
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by houvest: 5:42am On Dec 15, 2011
Good one Fashola. Borrowing a leaf from Rochas. Whether it is federal or internationally sponsored, the truth is that Rochas came up with the idea, Others are encouraged to borrow it refine it and if possible get foreigna ssistance towards it.

On this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-794225.0.html, Many here who could have encouraged Rochas or suggested ways of making it better outrightly condenmed  or ridiculed it. Now that other states or international organisations are running with it,we see tongue-in-cheek rationalisations. SMH at Nairaland prejudices.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Kobojunkie: 5:49am On Dec 15, 2011
um . . . Rocha's did not come up with the idea. WFP has been lobbying to get all African countries signed up and running it's school meals program for some time now. Obasanjo attempted it's implementation at the federal level back in 2005 with 12 states signed on, and now we see the program is moving to more areas. Even around the North.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Rhino5dm: 6:02am On Dec 15, 2011
Why do you people take pride in lying, ego worshipping and chest beating? . . .schools have been fed in the north as away to encourage enrollment, as far back as late 90's.

How does it feel to be leading a self-decieving life? . . .Now, what do you have to say about your "Almighty Rochas" appointing a special assistance assigned with responsibility to study the development taking place in Lagos and how to replicate it in Imo?

houvest:

Good one Fashola. Borrowing a leaf from Rochas. Whether it is federal or internationally sponsored, the truth is that Rochas came up with the idea, Others are encouraged to borrow it refine it and if possible get foreigna ssistance towards it.

On this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-794225.0.html, Many here who could have encouraged Rochas or suggested ways of making it better outrightly condenmed or ridiculed it. Now that other states or international organisations are running with it,we see tongue-in-cheek rationalisations. SMH at Nairaland prejudices.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by houvest: 8:02am On Dec 15, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Why do you people take pride in lying, ego worshipping and chest beating? . . .schools have been fed in the north as away to encourage enrollment, as far back as late 90's.

How does it feel to be leading a self-decieving life? . . .Now, what do you have to say about your "Almighty Rochas" appointing a special assistance assigned with responsibility to study the development taking place in Lagos and how to replicate it in Imo?

Clap for yourself for your righteous indignation. Whatever. Whether it has been done in the North or South before does not matter. The issue is Rochas introduced it in this dispensation. Period. Others are copying from it and refining it which is good. Kwankwanso used it in the 90s and so what.?Why did he forget all about it till Rochas came up with it ?. Now he has just re- launched it in Kano. Lagos tried it before but it did not work so they forgot all about it but now they are going back to it . OBJ tried it but it did not work . Why not give credit to whom it is due instead of using minimalism and condescension? Rochas rediscovered it, now GEJ is asking every state to adopt it.

Your interpretation of the role of his assistant on Lagos affairs is childish but even assuming( not conceeding) that it is to copy what is in Lagos state, what is wrong with that? Nothing wrong in copying good examples but giving credit where it is due is my point. Read the thread I cited and tell me if the hoopla then was justified but now it can be rationalised because other states are trying to do something similiar.

Similiar minimalism and condescension greeted his free kerosine https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-729651.0.html and free education https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-678500.0. html free school uniforms,etc. There are folks here whose stock in trade is to shoot down every Rochas innovation but are quick to glorify the same thing when others do same when it is just a glorified version of the same thing or because foreigners are involved. That is the point I was trying to make . So please come down from your high horse. You and all those folks and encourage those in governance that want to make a difference even if they are not from your Gzone.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Otunne1: 8:11am On Dec 15, 2011
weda world govt, us govt, intl donor, local donor, fg assisted, lg assisted, y r are u ppl supportin this move now, cos wen smbody came up wit this idea, he recieved insults from this forum. 7 states has adopted the free kerosine scheme, very soon, students allowance will follow.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by Rhino5dm: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2011
Spare me your long essay, please!

Show me where i criticize Rochas? Infact, i ranked Rochas above most governors in Nigeria.

Like i earlier said, you should stop ego whorshipping and unneceessary beating of chest.

Now, what would have happen if a governor from west appoints a special adviser on Enugu or Abia matters??

houvest:

Clap for yourself for your righteous indignation. Whatever. Whether it has been done in the North or South before does not matter. The issue is Rochas introduced it in this dispensation. Period. Others are copying from it and refining it which is good. Kwankwanso used it in the 90s and so what.?Why did he forget all about it till Rochas came up with it ?. Now he has just re- launched it in Kano. Lagos tried it before but it did not work so they forgot all about it but now they are going back to it . OBJ tried it but it did not work . Why not give credit to whom it is due instead of using minimalism and condescension? Rochas rediscovered it, now GEJ is asking every state to adopt it.

Your interpretation of the role of his assistant on Lagos affairs is childish but even assuming( not conceeding) that it is to copy what is in Lagos state, what is wrong with that? Nothing wrong in copying good examples but giving credit where it is due is my point. Read the thread I cited and tell me if the hoopla then was justified but now it can be rationalised because other states are trying to do something similiar.

Similiar minimalism and condescension greeted his free kerosine https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-729651.0.html and free education https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-678500.0. html free school uniforms,etc. There are folks here whose stock in trade is to shoot down every Rochas innovation but are quick to glorify the same thing when others do same when it is just a glorified version of the same thing or because foreigners are involved. That is the point I was trying to make . So please come down from your high horse. You and all those folks and encourage those in governance that want to make a difference even if they are not from your Gzone.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by houvest: 7:01pm On Dec 15, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Spare me your long essay, please!

Show me where i criticize Rochas? Infact, i ranked Rochas above most governors in Nigeria.

Like i earlier said, you should stop ego whorshipping and unneceessary beating of chest.

Now, what would have happen if a governor from west appoints a special adviser on Enugu or Abia matters??

You call 10 lines and 3 paragraphs long essay? LMAO. You aint seen nothing yet. If the governor from the west does it for a good reason, why not? If you ranked Rochas high, why then do you call those commending him as worshippers? If however they do, no skin pain. We have had so many looters that correct governors should receive all the accolades. And if you call Imolites hero-worshippers, where have you been? Have you not been seeing the real hero worshippers on NL . Look in the mirror brother.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by jason123: 7:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
How many people will they feed with quality food? I dey laugh o!
Its better if such a policy is done in Imo than Lagos, why? Because Imo is not as populated as Lagos so, the quality(not quantity) will be better. Lagos state will simply be feeding these pupils with poisonous, expired products.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by houvest: 8:09pm On Dec 15, 2011
jason123:

How many people will they feed with quality food? I dey laugh o!
Its better if such a policy is done in Imo than Lagos, why? Because Imo is not as populated as Lagos so, the quality(not quantity) will be better. Lagos state will simply be feeding these pupils with poisonous, expired products.

If it is well planned, It can be done. With the promise of assistance by the FG and funds from UNICEF and other International organisations. Never say never Please.
Re: Free Meal For Lagos Pupils by manny4life(m): 8:28pm On Dec 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Need more details about how much it will cost, who is paying for it, etc.

Good question,

Let's take a quick look at sample cost here given the variables

Assuming that 3% of the population of Lagos state (@18million residents) fall within the age range of 5 and 12 (primary school), that's 540,000 primary school students that needs to be fed 5days a week (Breakfast and Lunch), multiply by 52 weeks a total of 260 days. Assuming a 60 days reduction for holidays, weather, etc, that leaves us with 200 school days in a year.

Using a lean and cost effective approach, assuming that it will cost about $0.20 cents or $N33 to feed students daily (going by the $1/day theory), which is highly unlikely, with 540,000 students in Lagos, FG will have to spend about $108,000 daily to sponsor this food nutrition program. Multiply that figure by 200 days, and it will cost FG $21,600,000 (about N3.5billion annually) to sponsor this nutrition program.

This is ONLY for Lagos state, other remaining states haven't been checked into the equation, add other states or use a population standard approach, and the cost will run into about a $100+ million program, something I doubt the FG has money for. Like Kobo mentioned, UNLESS, they have international assistance, this will bankrupt both state and FG, period.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Did My Best - Former IGP Hafiz Ringim / Now Trending , Amaechi Sold His Brother For Ordinary Ministerial Position / NUPENG, NNPC Meeting To Avert Strike, Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.