Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Fulani Aristocracy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Aristocracy (17406 Views)

Buhari Likes Fulani Herdsmen – Fani-kayode / British Aristocracy: The Only Two Nigerians In The British House Of Lords / The Fulani Aristocracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 3:08pm On Jul 28, 2015
Yoruba people have slave mentality
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by cheruv: 3:43pm On Jul 28, 2015
fulanimafia:
“People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer.”

― Andrew Smith
Broz angry
What do you've to say about these assertions?
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by cheruv: 3:54pm On Jul 28, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:
I usually laugh at the sophisticated Southern mugus that usually claim 'I don't care where the president comes from". Have you ever heard a Fulani saying 'I don't care where the president comes from' and the Hausas signing off their destiny to be fulani slaves because of religion i pity your generation.

I also laughed when i heard them talk about an Emir of Enugu. That reminds me- Igbo leaders must start paying attention to Ebonyi state. Information reaching us has it that The Fulani muslims are quietly but vociferously capitalizing on the relatively lower literacy rate to convert Ebonyi youths into Islam by luring them with 2million Naira each. They may use these youths to cause havoc as they doing in Hausaland and illorin. Once the Fulani man infects you with islam, you'll start fighing his wars while he sits and reaps the fruits.

We may wake up one day and start hearing Emir of Abakaliki. If our Governors will not do anything about it maybe Nnamdi Kanu will help. We must act now! Please forward this message to Ipob, BZM and MASSOB

cc: EasternLion, Biafranprince, IsrealiAirforce, GenIgrigi, cheruv, pazienza, Arysexy, fulanimafia,
Even though I didn't read the whole piece I've a good idea of what he's saying.
That state Ebonyi needs to be focused on.it shouldn't be allowed to become the black sheep of Igbo land.all Igbos should focus on it and ensure that Islam even if it has taken a foothold would be rooted out!
When the time comes,a Crusader army would be raised that'd cleanse Igboland with the blood of massacred Muslims

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by EasternLion: 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:
I usually laugh at the sophisticated Southern mugus that usually claim 'I don't care where the president comes from". Have you ever heard a Fulani saying 'I don't care where the president comes from' and the Hausas signing off their destiny to be fulani slaves because of religion i pity your generation.

I also laughed when i heard them talk about an Emir of Enugu. That reminds me- Igbo leaders must start paying attention to Ebonyi state. Information reaching us has it that The Fulani muslims are quietly but vociferously capitalizing on the relatively lower literacy rate to convert Ebonyi youths into Islam by luring them with 2million Naira each. They may use these youths to cause havoc as they doing in Hausaland and illorin. Once the Fulani man infects you with islam, you'll start fighing his wars while he sits and reaps the fruits.

We may wake up one day and start hearing Emir of Abakaliki. If our Governors will not do anything about it maybe Nnamdi Kanu will help. We must act now! Please forward this message to Ipob, BZM and MASSOB

cc: EasternLion, Biafranprince, IsrealiAirforce, GenIgrigi, cheruv, pazienza, Arysexy, fulanimafia,

In due time, Ebonyi will be cleansed of Islamic contamination going on.

I hope Director gets the funds he is looking for and install Radio Biafra relay station there.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by fulanimafia: 4:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
cheruv:

Broz angry
What do you've to say about these assertions?

People will continue to miss the way, the harder they try to rationalize the oneness of the Hausa/Fulani.

It is an identity that has been moulded over several dozen generations, and so it will remain for thousands more to come.

The question is, why is the OP so fascinated by our heritage that he opened this thread 4 years ago, and returned to revive it only to spew hatred.

It is surely no co-incidence that he and the original author are both Ibo. What a life sad
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by cheruv: 4:43pm On Jul 28, 2015
fulanimafia:

People will continue to miss the way, the harder they try to rationalize the oneness of the Hausa/Fulani.

It is an identity that has been moulded over several dozen generations, and so it will remain for thousands more to come.

The question is, why is the OP so fascinated by our heritage that he opened this thread 4 years ago, and returned to revive it only to spew hatred.

It is surely no co-incidence that he and the original author are both Ibo. What a life sad
I enjoyed what I read cheesy
The Fulani aristocracy is something I admire..that's why I want Nigeria balkanized so that your aristocrats can rule a non Igbo Nigeria without resistance from the stubborn Igbo.
As for those Muslims in Igbo land..when the time comes they'd be either expelled or massacred!
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by ArodewilliamsT: 4:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
fulanimafia:

Fulaman, The Hausas you have made slaves using Islam as a slave tool for centuries are getting wiser and will stand up to you soonest.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by pazienza(m): 6:35pm On Jul 28, 2015
bombay:
The Yoruba slaves will keep on digging holes to place there coconut heads in.
The Yorubas I don't think are digging any holes. They are just at home and Peace with their Arewa neighbors.

They were meant for each other. Once Biafra and ND secedes from Nigeria, the Yorubas will inherit their new Eldorado, the Odua-Arewa Islamic republic. It will be a match made in heaven.

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by pazienza(m): 6:38pm On Jul 28, 2015
Ebonyi is a curious case. An Igbo man naturally can't be a muslim, he loves his life too much to be such. Perhaps once we get our freedom, the Ebonyi situation will resolve itself.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by zimoni(f): 11:36pm On Jul 28, 2015
What a thread.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 7:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
The Fulani establishment has been the driving force of our politics and has unequivocally set its agenda for the past 41 years.

Fulanis depart from a premise of greater entitlement to power in Nigeria than the rest of us. This attitude is inspired by racist-supremacist instinct similar to the Tutsi natural resentment of Hutu leadership in Burundi and Rwanda or the Tuareg rebellion against African rule in Mali and Niger from the 1960s to as recent as the mid-1990s.

The Fulani establishment could build alliances like ‘Hausa-Fulani’, ‘Muslim North’, ‘North’ or ‘Nigerian Muslims’, their game-plan has been always to secure Fulani supremacy in our polity. This politics requires that "external" enemies must always be found against which to define the common identity they seek to share with their chosen allies. Therein lies the danger of perpetual crisis in Nigeria.

And Fulani politicians are superior to their counterparts in the rest of Nigeria. Fulanis have been shaped by thousands of years of battle with the harsh forces of nature to be more clever, more canny, more aggressive, to have sharper instincts of survival and sense of perception. And our leaders do not understand them. Imagine fighting against an enemy you do not know well!

An example of our faulty perception of the North and Fulani politics is provided by the speech delivered by Chief Abraham Adesanya at the "first Alhaji Abdulrahman Okene memorial Lecture", organised by Gamji Members Association (GAMA), in Kaduna on 15 August. In the speech, which after a critical reading would make a Yoruba look foolish, the Afenifere chief said:

"You have invited me, the leader of Afenifere and leader of the Yoruba to be your special guest of honour. History will record that this is the first time in Nigerian political history whether ancient or modern when a descendant of Oduduwa will be honoured in such an environment so closely and so warmly associated with a descendant of Othman Dan Fodio."

Chief Adesanya speech writers elevated Dan Fodio to the rank of Oduduwa, placing a Fulani man who died less than 200 years ago on the same level of the mythical cultural hero of Yorubas.

They also chose an event in honour of Okene, an Igbira man, to seek dialogue with the Fulani power establishment. Yet Okuns and Igalas, both Yoruba poeples, have been living with Igbiras for thousands of years, far, far long before Fulanis first appeared as destitute nomads in our horizon.

We have overindulged the insensitivity of the Fulani elite and thus have emboldened them to act with impunity in Nigeria.

The Fulani Oligarchy has fought the popular clamour for fundamental changes in our polity almost to a standstill. The governors of the southern states have abandoned their call for state police, although it is the most logical solution to the problem of crime in Nigeria. On resource control, they have told us that people do not have any claim to resources for "merely sitting on them". They have cowed the proponents of a Yoruba traditional leadership institution in Ilorin with the threat of imported violence.

Yet against our loud protestations they have introduced an autonomous judicial space in Nigeria with sharia. And, to boot, they have a local police to enforce the Islamic penal code (Islam was the chief weapon in the Fulani conquest of Hausa country and culture, and their other fiefdoms in the North, and sharia amounts to an aggressive reassertion of the religion as the chief agent of cultural unity in the Fulani-ruled North and the Muslim North as a whole). They claim they have the right to practise their religion the way it suits them, but we have no right to adopt measures we consider appropriate to safeguard our lives and properties.

The Fulani Oligarchy in its traditional form is an outdated system that resists social progress. It is a system that inculcates subordination and acquiescence and these have come to characterise the society and polity of the Fulani-ruled Muslim North.

Nigeria will not move forward until the Oligarchy is defeated like in Cameroon. Yet we are disadvantaged in the battle against this force of backwardness because our leaders are too given to in-fighting, too self-centred, too prone to being satisfied with little achievements. Our scholars are busy fighting for better conditions of service instead of enlightening their people, our popular intellectuals are confused ideologues, our prominent social critics keep quite to avoid being labelled tribalists. Gani Fawehinmi is a tribalist, Professor Peter Ekeh is a tribalist, Tiv generals are tribalists etc. Fulani intellectuals and journalists use the label so often that it seems only Fulanis because of their facial features transcend ethnicity and tribalism.

Fulani supremacist politics is comprehensive. Their few newspapers have well-programmed content. Their few intellectuals pursue an ideological objective: the Fulani supremacy in our politics, and they are very effective in working for their race in Nigeria. They co-ordinate with their traditional rulers, politicians, top civil servants, military officers, both serving and retired. Arewa has successfully mobilised into its membership almost all the prominent retired military and police officers in the whole North. This kind of co-ordination is lacking in the South.

Bola Ige’s death marks a turning point in the struggle for a peaceful, stable Nigeria, free from the choke-hold of Fulani power supremacy. A general in this war has fallen and his demise has dire implications for the nation.

The message of Bola Ige’s death is that we must be ready to do an all-out battle with the idea of Fulani supremacy in Nigeria. We must stop shying away from a fight. Our politicians must seek allies in the North, we must undercut the influence of Fulanis in its regional politics. Our journalists must become conscious of this evil idea of Fulani supremacy in our land, our students must be sensitised to it. Our civil servants, policemen, military men and women, the whole of the civil society must be awaken to this obnoxious ideology of racial superiority. Only this encompassing mobilisation can defeat the Fulani Oligarchy which is the hinderer of our progress in Nigeria.

Fulanis are not invincible. Southerners must only stop lumping all Northerners together for condemnation for our problems. The South must reach out to the North. Kanuris and Yorubas, for example, are related peoples. All ethnological studies of Nigeria since the beginning of the 20th century have always pointed this out. Why can’t Yoruba intellectuals help to make political capital out of this? Why can Southern Christians not reach a strategic consensus with the Christian North, not against Islam but against Fulani-inspired political Islam?

Until the politics of Fulani supremacy is correctly recognised for what it is; a cancer in our nation, we will not be able to move forward.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by TheFreeOne: 7:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
In 1900 the Fulani Emirates formed a series of separate despotism marked by the worst forms of wholesale slave-raiding, spoliation of the peasant, inhuman cruelty and debased justices, Lugard who wrote that Fulani, established the firm framework of northern (Fulani) advantage over the south in the political arrangement of his amalgamated country. But this inhuman cruelty and debased justice, many have been sign-posts of an emergent hegemony which, his now grown in sophistication.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 7:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
During the northern hold on power, employment, appointment and distribution of the federal resources were classified and appropriated on class basis. The first class citizens represented by the Hausa/Fulani, the 2nd class represented by the Yoruba, the semi-2nd class represented by the middle belts, the southern Kaduna and the south-south and the 3rd class represented by the igbos. It was like that in all the Nigeria's federal establishments and institutions. Corporations, road constructions, industrial establishments whether military or civilian were either appropriated in Kaduna or no where else. The Defense industry corporation, the Kaduna refinery, the PAN (Peugeot Automobile Nigerian) Ltd., Senior Staff College, Nigerian Defense Academy, the Nigerian Military School, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Training School, major military divisions, installations, establishments, the Ajokuta iron industry which was originally to be sited in Onitsha, are all in the north in general and Kaduna in particular. The nation's capital that has engulfed most of the nation's resources seconded only to corruption was moved from Lagos to the north. Why not Makurdi or Jos? Where else in Nigeria did the feudal emperors establish any major federal presence outside the north? The best road constructions are in the north. While 2nd bridge was constructed in River Benue, Makurdi, in 1978, Niger bridge in Onitsha has been left to create tsunnami before anything can be done about it if there will ever be.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 7:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
The first class citizens represented by the Hausa/Fulani, the 2nd class represented by the Yoruba, the semi-2nd class represented by the middle belts, the southern Kaduna and the south-south and the 3rd class represented by the igbos. It is like that in all the Nigeria's federal establishments and institutions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2015
What can i say it is all coming to pass.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 12:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
Our beloved country Nigeria has been sold.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 12:13pm On Sep 07, 2015
We warned Tinubu about Buhari –Senator Femi Okurounmu

BY REMI ADEFULU

Senator Femi Okurounmu led the committee that midwifed the 2014 Na­tional Political Conference as chairman of the National Con­ference advisory committee set up by former president Good­luck Jonathan.

In this interview, he as­sessed the Buhari administra­tion and more, declaring that President Buhari is promoting Northern hegemony. Excerpts

What is your assessment of the Buhari administra­tion?

My assessment is that Bu­hari administration is going just the way I expected it to go. It’s doing just the things I expected it to do. It’s only those who are not familiar with Nigerian history and Ni­gerian politics that will be sur­prised about what is going on now. People like me are not surprised, and that was why we warned our people before the elections about the dan­gers of voting for the APC in the presidential election, that in the long run, it is not good for Nigeria, it is not good for our people, so I’m not sur­prised about what is going on.

Clearly, what is going on now shows that Buhari is a presi­dent out on a mission, and the mission is to reinstate Fulani hegemony over the whole of Nigeria. We’ve always said that Buhari is a Fulani irreden­tist. This is not a new posture of his. He has always been so, even in his first coming as Head of State, he behaved the same way. You will remember that when he was fighting cor­ruption as a military Head of State, those who were most persecuted were the UPN gov­ernors, the progressive gover­nors of the UPN, NPP and the GNPP. They were the most persecuted, even though they were the least corrupt. Their administration between 1979 – 1983 were most progressive, they achieved the most for their people, but when he took over power, it was they he per­secuted the most, so this is not new with him. Every time he has the opportunity, is to rein­state Fulani hegemony. That is what he is doing now. Look at the appointments he has made. The first nine appoint­ments he made, only one was from the South, I’m not talking of Yoruba now, I’m talking of the entire South, all the other eight were from the North.

The subsequent 32 appoint­ments, because we’ve been keeping track, only six was from the South, 26 of those 32 were from the North.

There were six appoint­ments he made yesterday (penultimate Thursday), again only one of the six was from the South. How does one jus­tify that in a country where there are so many ethnic na­tionalities and the South and the North are almost about equal? Why will the appoint­ments be so preponderantly favouring the North to the dis­advantage of the South? Even if you are to say its time to pun­ish those who didn’t vote for him, did the Yorubas not vote for him? The Yorubas under the propaganda of Tinubu and his acolytes kept crying this agenda of change, support­ing Buhari, even though we were warning them that the agenda of the APC of North are totally different. The APC of South were making them­selves to believe that there will be change, whereas the APC of the North had only one agenda – to reinstate Northern hegemony, to get power back to the North and get the Fulani back in the control of Nigeria. That was the only agenda they had, nothing else. They only exploited the APC in the South so that they could achieve their aim. One would have expected that Tinubu, with his years in politics should have seen it, but because of his selfish interest, his selfish ambition, he couldn’t. He was been driven by selfish ambi­tion and so he went along and supported the agenda which he knows was not going to be in the interest of his own people. I kept reminding him of Afonja of Ilorin who was betrayed by Alimi. Afonja was betrayed by Alimi even though he was the one that sought the cooperation of Alimi because Afonja was trying to rebel against the Alaafin of Oyo. Afonja achieved his purpose, but after achieving his purpose, what happened to him?

Alimi killed him off and took over and the Fulani established their Emirate in Ilorin, and that was how the Yorubas lost Ilorin forever. Tinubu is the modern day Afonja. I remember I wrote this in several papers because I’m not saying this for the first time. What we had anticipated is what we are seeing now.

Don’t you think it was a grave error that an agreement was not reached on power sharing among

the different blocs in the APC?

Tinubu had his own agenda. The agenda of Tinubu was personal, purely personal, and Tinubu was only using the Yorubas to achieve his personal agenda. Tinubu did not understand the Fulani man. He believed he could use Buhari and that once Buhari is in power, he will effectively be in control. That was why I said he doesn’t understand Nigerian politics.

He should have listened to people with more experience. Money is not all you need to do politics, you also need experience. Tinubu underestimated what Buhari will do when he gets to power. He thought he will be dictating to Buhari. He tried to dictate who will be Senate president, he flopped. He tried who will be Speaker, he flopped. Those controlling Buhari are the northern hegemonies, not the Tinubu party.

What is your take on Buhari’s anti- corruption campaign?

The anti-corruption campaign so far, I think it just mere propaganda. I say that for several reasons. One: as a president seriously interested in fighting corruption, you must try to wage a war that must be effective. If you want to try people for corruption, you try them in court, whether they are special courts or regular course. It is the judges who will try these cases, how innocent are our judges of corruption?

There have been so many studies done saying the judiciary is the most corrupt institution in Nigeria. In 1994, there was a committee under the late Justice Kayode Esho that investigated the judiciary which strongly indicted our judiciary, which led to the retirement of so many judges. In 2002, there was another one under Justice Babalakin, which strongly indicted the judiciary. Since then, the judiciary has become even worse, to extent that judges openly lobby to be appointed to election tribunals because elections tribunals have become where people just take money and get judgment. Election tribunals are just cash and carry affairs.

A lot of attempt to fight corruption has been stalled by the judiciary. Between 1999 and 2007, there were several cases of investigations, but they couldn’t prosecute them. Most of the cases in court against these former governors have been stalled by judges. More than 12 cases of governors who have been indicted between 1999 and 2007 are still lingering in the courts because the judges will not give ruling. The first step is to clean the judiciary. The judiciary is filled with corrupt people, and you cannot be passing judgment on corrupt people if you are corrupt. Secondly to fight corruption, we must go back to when corruption became a serious cancer on Nigeria. A lot of people have diagnosed this to mean the Babangida era. It was during Babangida‘s era that corruption became institutionalized.

It became a fad because everybody was doing so, and nobody was punished. It has to go back to the Babangida era which led to the Abacha era. All of us know the extent of corruption under Abacha. Although Abacha is dead, a lot of those who worked with him are still alive. A lot of money stolen under

Abacha are still abroad. The agencies fighting corruption are also very corrupt.

We must go back to Babangida, Abacha, Abubakar administrations and also Obasanjo when we had the 16 billion dollars power contract scam. Nothing was done. After all the noise and fury, it all died down. Nobody was prosecuted, nobody was punished.

Why then is the Jonathan administration being singled out for probe?

Because his mission is to fight Jonathan. Look at a person like Obasanjo in alliance with Tinubu, in alliance with Buhari. Their mission is to fight PDP and Jonathan. If you want to fight PDP, PDP didn’t start with Jonathan.

You have to look at what the PDP did between 1999 and 2007. It was then Obasanjo used the EFCC as a witch hunt instrument against his opponents, and those who were loyal to him could get away with anything. In fact, it was because Obasanjo’s regime was so corrupt, that it became difficult for Yar’Adua to fight corruption. Of course, Jonathan is an extension of Yar’Adua who did not want to become president. He was not interested. The people interested were people like Ibori, Odili and so on. What Obasanjo did was to show them their files, which had been compiled by Ribadu about the extent of their corruption, and threatened them with prosecution.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/we-warned-tinubu-about-buhari-senator-femi-okurounmu/
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 12:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
Cont

He said if they did not want to be prosecuted, they should drop their ambition and go and fund Yar’Adua. He made these people to fund Yar’Adua’s election and Jonathan. When Yar’Adua got there, knowing who funded his, campaign, how could he go after these men? Obasanjo made it impossible for Yar’Adua to fight corruption and it now turned to a situation where when Yar’Adua got to power, those who were always hanging out with him were the Iboris and the corrupt clique within the Obasanjo administration. If you are going to fight corruption, these are the people you have to go after. Nigeria should have seen that Yar’Adua’s not fighting corruption was due to the way Obasanjo imposed him and made corrupt people to fund his campaign.

Don’t you think the Buhari’s emergence is similar since his election had to be sponsored by politicians?

In fact, look at the leader of the APC, Nuhu Ribadu when he was still active as the EFCC Chairman in 2010, appeared before the National Assembly during plenary to give them a list of governors that had been indicted. He made a special reference to Tinubu that his own was of international dimension. So, if you are going to start fighting corruption,

certainly, you cannot leave Tinubu out. Ribadu has the files on a lot the governors in APC. If you say the PDP was corrupt, how come its leaders came from PDP? If they were corrupt in PDP, did they become saints an soon as they joined APC? They were all in the same camp with Jonathan but because of their Northern agenda, they crossed over to the APC. A lot of people in APC today will have to lose their shirts if Buhari is going to really fight corruption. Amaechi and Tinubu should be some of the first to be probed and jailed.

But we learnt there is no documented evidence to probe Tinubu

That was not Nuhu Ribadu’s EFCC.

The EFCC as I’ve said is also corrupt.

Let them call Ribadu and ask him.

Even all of us in Lagos State know the extent of Tinubu’s corruption. We knew what Tinubu was worth in 1999.

Today, he has three private jets. We can even start by asking him the source of the funds for those private jets. He has almost acquired the whole of Lagos

How was he able to acquire all those properties without any trace of corruption?

These are questions, that must be asked. Tinubu could have been jailed in 1999. All the schools he claimed to have attended in his INEC form were fake. He was guilty of all those things Gani Fawehinmi alleged.

You belong to the Afenifere which backed Tinubu for governor; don’t you think you should share part of the blame?

Afenifere supported him to be governor.

Afenifere people are not all saints.

Tinubu turned out to have been the black sheep within the Afenifere. No sooner had Tinubu become governor than he turned against Afenifere. He turned against Baba Adesanya, He turned against Adebanjo. He turned against the whole organization, and he led a rebellion of his fellow governors, because they now had money, and you know in Nigeria, everybody follows whoever has money. Tinubu betrayed Afenifere. He was a rebellious Afenifere man. All the problems in Yoruba land

today was due to Tinubu’s rebellion.

That was what split the unity of Yoruba land that has continued till today.

You midwifed the national conference, can you tell us your experience?

My experience is that naturally; those

who benefit from the status quo would not want a change. The reason many of us have been crying over the years,

including Tinubu was to stop Northern hegemony, the idea of first class citizenship and second class citizenship, where some people would think they are born to rule and others are born to serve. Everybody was feeling that this was inequitable. Not only that. A lot of power was concentrated in the Federal Government. So whoever controls the Federal Government more or less has a strangle hold on everybody else in the society, and that is why the competition for president, was always so severe, and that was why the North always wanted to hold on to the presidency.

So, these are some of the reasons for asking for a national conference to restructure, to decentralize, so that all powers does not reside in the center.

A lot of the power can be devolved on the federating units so that the struggle for the centre will become less severe, less cantankerous, and the idea of born to rule will be removed, so that all of us can have a sense of eq­uity, sense of justice.

These are some of the rea­sons why many of us have been advocating for a national conference. In fact, all of us in Yoruba land, including Tinubu were advocating for it, but when Tinubu saw that there is a personal advantage for him to back the Hausa/Fulani people, who did not want a na­tional conference, all of a sud­den the national conference was not necessary. That it was a diversion. He was speaking on his own immediate advan­tage, thinking that if they get to power, he will become very powerful. Because of this, he changed his course, turning around to oppose the confer­ence.

He was only aligning himself with the North because the North have always been the ones opposing the conference. If you look at the constitution we operate today, it is a con­stitution tailor – made to pro­mote Northern hegemony, to make the North dominate the rest of us. Starting from when Gowon had 12 states, six in North, six in the South and Awolowo was his lieutenant. There was justice.

There was every reason to create those 12 states so that they could get the support of the minorities for the war ef­fort. It was done in a fair and equitable manner, but as soon as the military hegemonies took over, they began to de­stroy things until finally, they started creating local govern­ments and today, the North has 200 local governments more than the South, and those lo­cal governments became a basis for revenue sharing and representation in parliament.

Even in terms of 19 and 17 states, they have an advantage because each state has the same number of senators, and when you get to the House of Representatives, they have bigger advantage because Kano State alone has repre­sentatives than three states combined. The constitution was tailor–made to favour the North. That is why the North has never supported any na­tional conference.

That was why when Jona­than finally agreed to have a national conference, the North opposed it. That was surpris­ing. What was the national conference. It was a betrayal, a betrayal of the Yoruba peo­ple.

Don’t you think the con­ference timing was rather late?

You know we have been fighting for something for more than 30 years. There have been several presidents before Jon­athan. We made presentations to them, they did not listen, in­cluding Obasanjo. Finally we found a president who finally agreed to carry it out. You can­not say because of the timing, therefore it’s wrong. If that is what we want, any timing is good timing, provided we will solve Nigeria’s problem once and for all. If we solve the problems, generations will still be having elections and those elections will be on the basis of equality. Before Jona­than, we made presentations to them, they did not listen. Finally, we found a president who listened and who finally agreed to carry it out.

You cannot say because of the timing, therefore, it’s wrong. If that is what we want, any timing is timing, provided we will solve Nigeria’s prob­lem once and for all. If we solve the problem, generations will still be having elections and those elections will be the basis of equity and justice for all Nigerians. If we don’t solve that problem we have now, we will have to conduct elections without carrying out the rec­ommendations of the confer­ence.

Now we are back to square one in the terms of ethnic domination, back to the prob­lem of suspicions among one another. These are the things that create instability. It is not only Boko Haram that can cre­ate instability. Once other sec­tions of the country feel they are being oppressed, they are marginalised, they too will be­gin to organise mini rebellion. The instability will multiply around the country. Instead of us solving the causes of in­stability once and for all, we are engaging in the causes of instability. That is what is hap­pening.

How were you able to face criticisms, especially from the northern axis while car­rying out your assignment?

Well, I’m not new in politics. I worked with Awolowo. I cut my political teeth under Chief Obafemi Awolowo. As soon I took up the assignment, I already knew what the posi­tion of the North would be, what their stand would be, so I was prepared, fully prepared. Fortunately, we already had some kind of accommodation between the South-east and South-south. We were already meeting under the umbrella of the Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly.

The Southern Nigeria Peo­ples Assembly visited Jona­than several times on the issue of the national conference be­fore he finally gave in. Because we had this meeting point, we were not as divided as in previ­ous conferences. We were able to adopt some common points of view for the South, just the same way the North is always together. Not only was the South together, we were able to get some elements within the Biddle-Belt. The Middle- Belt are the most persecuted people in this country. They are in the North, but they are being persecuted by the Fulani people of the North.

Their own persecution is worse than that of us in the South. They cannot complain. If they do, they get persecuted even more. It’s like a slave complaining against his mas­ter. Because of that they sup­ported us in the South, and be­cause of that alliance between the South and middle-belt, we were able to get most of the recommendations that will be for the better governance of this country, recommendation, that will devolve power, en­sure equity, that will decentral­ize the Federal government; that will foster equity; that will foster justice, and give more power to the states. All these we were able to do at the na­tional conference, but the North was opposed to them. The North wanted the confer­ence to collapse because they couldn’t have their way, still we did not allow them to. That made them more determined that power must return to the North.

With all these strides, how did you feel when President Buhari said he would not implement the outcome of the national conference?

As I have said, I knew from the word go, that if he wins, he will not implement it. That was why towards the elections we organized a strong campaign that Jonathan is only the can­didate of all the candidates who will implement the reso­lutions of the national confer­ence. (Gov) Mimiko led that campaign and we all rallied round him.

We held several meetings around Yoruba land, to let our people know that because we have been the ones champion­ing this national conference, we finally got a president who listened to us, we had the con­ference, it was very success­ful, we have achieved most of our objectives, if we vote for Buhari, we are going to throw away all that we have achieved, whereas if we vote for Jonathan, he has commit­ted himself to implement these resolutions.

Of course, the people are always right, our people de­cided they will vote for Buhari because of the Tinubu pro­paganda machinery, because of the money. Unfortunately, people cannot distinguish be­tween news and propaganda. Tinubu is able to control the media network throughout the country. Almost every news­paper editor is in his pocket. He dishes out what he wants people to hear, and everybody who reads them thinks this in the news. Everybody was carried away by the change mantra, and we all voted for Buhari, so this is where it has got us.

What are the lessons from all these?

The lesson is that people must always know their his­tory. Today, a lot of those in school don’t even know what happened twenty years ago, and there is no nation where people don’t know their histo­ry and make progress. In every Jewish school, they are taught the history of second world war, how Jewish people swere persecuted in Europe, how six million Jews were killed. Ev­ery Jewish boy knows that. If you go to America today, and you want to become an Ameri­can citizen, they will give you an exam. If you don’t pass it, they won’t give you citizen­ship.

When you talk of Buhari’s record as Head of State, how many voters were mature then to know what happened, so it’s easy to deceive people. That is the problem. Our people don’t know history

Any regrets about the na­tional conference?

No regrets at all because the report is there. We have made the effort. There is a saying that once you try, you try and try again.

We shall keep making the efforts until we die, but if we die, subsequent generations will take up the struggle. The struggle must continue until we achieve a Nigeria where ev­erybody feels there is no ruler, there is no servant, and of us are equal citizens. That must be the ultimate goal. I have no regrets at all.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 12:19pm On Sep 07, 2015
North in Nigeria: The Lost Values, the Political Issue

This subject of discourse is very timely and critical in this our time, and it’s a paramount issue to be critically addressed in order to forestall purposeful leadership direction for the future of the northerners. However, leadership in a given community, nation, state or race/tribe(s) compose the feeling of vision, mission and direction or front by which the visionary leader aims to guide his/her people to the promised land. For the Northern region, the region was fortunate to have a visionary leader who conceptualize scientific method in nurturing and developing other recruits to carry on the leadership vision. Sir Ahmadu Bello the Sardauna of Sokoto of blessed memory visionized the type of leadership methods for the northern region as well as the entire country. This he epitomized in stages of leadership, recruits in his drive to lay down a fundamental principle of northernization as a concept and ideology. Thus, the discourse of this paper will focus on the following; Northern unity

The future of the Northerners in a fast growing unity-in-diversity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and whose responsibility to move, facilitate and further consolidate northern unity and its future goals. The issue of northernization, not withstanding, was perceived, articulated and further conceptualized with depth vision and scope of futuristic development of the Northern region by Sir Ahmadu Bello, the first Northern Premier. His untimely death frustrated the leadership vision and scope whereby, for the 1st three decades, the north is still searching for a principled and selfless leader to leads its course. Ahmadu Bello’s leadership projection emanated from his preparation for self-government after the British colonial might have gone.

This decolonization process, in practical terms, means not only transfer of political power but has to do with the state-of-the art on positioning oneself to accommo date the complexity and vigour of administrative science or skill. Bearing in mind at that time and also in current social-political context, the northerners had limited access to English-Language training and Western education in regards to civil service.

The Sardauna of Sokoto made it imperative, as one of his northernization policy, to ensure that the British officers who will be leaving will be replaced by educated, capable and dedicated northerners. As such, the visionary leader looked to the youth as pool to be persuaded, encouraged and developed in order to build a virile formidable future leaders for the north. This northern youth were categorized based on their age bracket in order of succession and continuity of leadership vision and direction in the drive to achieve northernization as a principle and ideology (all-encompassed and all-inclusive). (Paden, 1986). The first generation of northern civil servants are those born between the age bracket of 1910-1919 that la ter came as a pioneer in the civil service in early 1940s.

The pioneers of this generation are Abubakar Imam, Ahmadu Coomassie who masterminds the mass literacy campaign in the north called "War Against Ignorance" (Yaki da Jahilci). Ahmadu Coomassie primary focus on literacy drive happened to realized same factors that are inhibiting northerners to the quest to education. These factors or symbols, as it should be known, are "Lalaci-Laziness and Sakarci-bad conduct". These factors are further compounded by the northern elites who do not wish the northern youth being educated. One will admit that the northern youth today are educationally driven and intelligent to the acquisition of knowledge and other skills. But the poverty rate in the northern region further exercabated the youth inability to further their education. To contain this "Yaki da Jahilci" in the north as well as curbing "Lalaci-Laziness" and "Sakarci bad conduct" from the psyche of northern youth. The northern political elite as well as private entrepreneurs should institute scholarship board for sponsoring the education of the northern youth that are less privileged. The Second generation of northern civil servants itemized for further leadership development are those in the age bracket between 1920s- 1924. This category will fully mature in the skill, management and state-of-arts in administrative science in 1950s. At this stage, they will begin to assume major responsibilities that will later result in putting them at the level of senior bureaucrats in the 1960s due to their firm discipline and commitment. These personalities are Muhammad Gujbawu (1921), Ibrahim Argungu (1922), Abba Jiddum Gana (1922), Dr. Abdul Atta (1922) and Ibrahim Dasuki (1923) respectively. The third generation called "The young men" of civil servants were those generation born between the ag e bracket of 1930-34 and those 1935-1939. This later generation are considered, according to the northernization policy, to form a wave of development in the civil service because of their higher education experiences. It was assumed that this third generation will represent a new perspective on northern development and on the pace of change. Thus, the early "third generation" would include I.J.D. Durlog (1930); Liman Ciroma (1930) Ahmad Joda (1930); Hassan Lemu (1930) Abubakar Kigo (1930); J.A. Aberibigbe (1931); Sunday Awoniyi (1932); Adamu Ciroma (1934); Yusuf Gobir (1934) and any of this contemporary. While the late "third generation" would include; Gidado Idris (1935); Musa Bello (1936); Muhammad S. Kangiwa (1936); Abubakar Koko (1937); Mahmud Tukur (1939) and Saidu Barda (1939) and many others. From the foregoing visionary leadership structure for the aspiration and realization of the Sardauna of Sokoto northernization policy and ideology. The third generation however, were expected to actualize and further consolidate this leadership focus and direction. This is due to their advantages on the acquisition of university education and also experience in the accelerated training programs. They were considered as a "radical" pressure group for change vis-à-vis the Sardauna projection. Education was the primary source of achieving the vision of northernization. As such Ahmadu Bello structured a full pyramid of educational institutions in the north, from primary schools through university as an impressive challenge.

Thus, the development of primary schools is largely a matter of resources, teacher-training facilities, and identification of curricular priorities. This further illustrated by the quality of education achieved in the north at early independence period. The Sardauna was conscious of the essence of education in the realization of northernization policy. This was mentio ned in his speech titled "The Need for Higher Academic Standards and Moral Tone in School", delivered at the Government College, Zaria in 1963, urging the northerners to critically examine their education plight and shape their future destiny. He further emphasized that: … "I note with deep regret that one of those schools which have failed to rise to the occasion and set the pace and standard of high academic attainment is my alma mater. Last year (1962), 50 percent of the boys of this college who took the West African School Certificate Examinations failed.

If I may ask, you, staff and boys of government college, Zaria why must you lag behind? You have a great history behind you. Many of the leaders of the country are Old Boys of this College, you must wake up from your slumber and pull your weight. This reprimand is equally applicable to many of o ur secondary schools. You have wonderful opportunities. You must take them. If you let them pass, you will never have them again. You may wonder why I should say that you have wonderful opportunities and that if you let them pass, you will never have them again. The explanation is simple. This great demand for secondary school leavers will not continue indefinitely. There will come a time when secondary school educational qualification will not be enough to gain you a good job. Perhaps by the time the lowest forms pass out of school, they may be faced with very fierce competition for well-paid jobs. Perhaps by that time most if not all the executive grades, the intermediate grades in the public service, would have been filled. And all well-paid jobs might require higher academic and professional qualifications. There will be no room for idlers and care-free passengers in our school who have no ambition, no intention to be ambitions. I hope you do now appreciate what I mean when I say you have wonderful opportunities. If you fail to take full advantage of your education now, you may live to regret it for the rest of your lives." It should be emphasized here that the Sardauna of Sokoto future planning for his northernization policy was primarily based on education as a means for human resources building. In other words, realization of northern future is nothing but a further step to educate the northern youth. This conceived noble idea was later derailed by the demise of the Sardauna which later left leadership vacuum in the north. The assertiveness of the Sardauna in leading his entire community in the twentieth century was never been replaced by those generations assumed to lead the northernization vision. Rather the policy of northernization was replaced by self-centeredness, materialistic northern bureaucrats and ineptitu de of top northern military brass without focus and direction of leadership quality, contrary to the Sarudauna’s futuristic vision on his northernization policy. The urgency of the training programs and university education for the third generation was to catch up with their Southern counterparts in terms of administration, development and industrialization of the north. Displacement of original goal of northernization The recent communal clashes- be it religious or interethnic conflict emanated as a result of leadership failure, ignorance and a total denial of political accessibility of resources management. Many argued that the suspension of the country’s constitution may also be one of the major factor of the conflict. Similarly, the principle of divide-and-rule applied by the subsequent military regimes led to the creation of miniature regional, communal, clan, religious and feudal oligarchies. The ordinary cit izens was finally neglected through denial of his/her social rights in terms of education, social facility, health and economic gains within the national politics. Politics however, was later degenerated to the narrow definition as "a means to personal enrichment" rather than to serve the community. Ordinary Nigerians have no choice but to fall back on their ethnic or religious groups as the basis for their emotional identity. Maladministrative drive and total mismanagement of national resources by the deliberate promotion of "policy of exclusion" for the last three decades, some argued that, these factors led to why and how identities change and people of the same community or region begin to see themselves as being deprived because of ethnic, class or religious affiliation. The relative deprivation theory assert that a people’s capacity for revenge through the means of violence is contingent on the result of the comparison it makes with others, meaning, if a community perceives that another community is being favoured at their own expenses rebellion becomes a natural response. The primary objective of building a dynamic, foresight and visionary leaders was deluded by the sudden intervention of the untrained civil servants into the helms of affairs (power politics). The vision of leadership projection conceptualized by the Sardauna of Sokoto was to build a virile civil servants with a sound educational standard that will begin to implement the policies of development in the north. Similarly, the vision aim to help identify and train subsequent northern generation. This is because, consistence in policy implementation are of importance and thus paramount to the development of the north. The consequence of total deviation and abandon of the northernization vision was the effect of communal clashes-cum-religious conflict in the North and by extension in Nigeria. Those that assumed leadership roles rather believed to replace and promote the northernization v ision lacked the spirit of true leadership model. But they resulted to building up oligarchies and thus perpetrating injustice in the name of representation of the northerners into polity. In many states across the nation, representations of certain states or communities at the federal and state levels have been manipulated and domesticated within families and cronies. These are largely those who imposed overarching influence over the others by way of controlling the traditional authorities. The systematic politics of exclusion, is argued to the basis of communal-cum-religious conflict in the northern region as well as the country in general.

THE WAY FORWARD: Let us acknowledge our general failure in the wholistic approach of the philosophy of leadership and responsibility. As such, to bring about revitalization of northern unity and re-focus its future direction and aspiration is to set aside trivial issues and collectively restructure the mind-set of the ruling class. Rejuvenating the afore mentioned northern education standard set forth by Sardauna of Sokoto, stand as a paramount policy, that the 19 Northern states should pursue. Its virile civil service standard, skill and its disciplinary model, its selflessness in administrative performance and its legacy on war against laziness and bad conduct in both private and public sphere should be re-kindled. Re-awakening the philosophy of northernization as a collective approach and commitment will see the northern future a prosperous one. But putting personal interest as against general one will further exacerbate the existing situation we are today. Achieving these policy objectives of development, will enable the north to set forth its drive for technological and industrial development. The era of praise-singing and the interplay of ruling elite and their sycophants of yester years is however obsolete. Rather the north is confronted with number of scientific, technological and material challenges that require a pragmatic and proactive approach. The north is in urgent need of visionary leader with foresightedness. In order to project a meaningful direction. The inter-ethnic conflict will further deteriorate the vision of northernization which will never yield us any benefit but backwardness and retrogression vis-à-vis our southern counterparts. The mindset of the northern elite should be refocussed to this vision of northernization rather than emphasis on personal aggrandizement and arrogance. The essence of leadership is responsibility not a privilege for class status or suppression of the weaker ones. Leadership goes with ultimate task of executing a certain itemized futuristic plans not as a status s ymbol or pride.

Conclusion: All hope is not lost in achieving the said vision and focus, for in the interim the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), an umbrella for all northerners and the nineteen northern governors forum offers a promising loci. As earlier mentioned in my column of May, 27, 2001, "North must unite" the two fora "with all its limitations and shortcomings (if any) remains and will remain the authentic voice and dream of the North". It is the perceived lack of unifying platform and the imagined or real shambles in our ability to act, along a common cause that enabled some ‘sit-tight’ politicians to exploit the various permutations for their personal ambition through divide-and-rule tactics. Now is the time for all well-meaning northerners to put all hands on deck and set aside differences towards the rejuvenation of the region, for it is apparent that it is not only the usually ‘intruding lizard’ that had its way through the ‘shambling wall’ but also the normally ‘harmful crocodile’.

http://www.gamji.com/mamza/mamza81.htm
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by EasternLionn: 12:36pm On Sep 07, 2015
Fulani sef.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by explorer250(m): 7:36am On Sep 09, 2015
After taking over middle belt south west would be next.
When the hegemony marchs down south and crosses the river in the east,there they would meet their waterloo
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by Sunymoore(m): 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2015
Interesting! Fulani owns and controls Nigeria... That's great for their people, let them enjoy it while it last...
Lucky, tactical and well organized people... #Salute...
Praise from a North East boy!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
Told you enjoy.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
What i told you guys long ago is now happening. You failed to heed the warning. tongue
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 03, 2015
Yoruba play the ostrich. They used their media to help the propaganda for their masters.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:34pm On Oct 03, 2015
Of course whenever the chieftains of northern oligarchy want anything done in the colonial contraption called Nigeria that will overwhelmingly fall within their socio-politico-economic interest, they have willing southern dancing partners to take the floor.

Whether it is the so-called One-Nigeria, quota system, Kaduna refinery or moving capital city to the northern region of Nigeria, there are insurmountable numbers of southern Nigerians ready to do the biddings for chieftains of northern oligarchy.

The blame of regressive Nigeria, manifested by actions of northern oligarchy, should partly hinge on the shoulders of moronic southern Nigerians.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 03, 2015
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
I have been saying this for a long time bro now they have to pay.
Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist
Then they came for the Socialists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist
Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me.

Southwest read the signs.

They have killed more of your leaders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fulani Aristocracy by bombay: 8:10am On Oct 04, 2015
Yoruba people should wake up tinubu has sold them to perpatual slavery.This not a dis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

State Of Economy: I'm Happy I Lost Governorship Election —alao-akala / Orji Uzor Kalu Spotted In Court Over Alleged Offences While In Office (photos) / I’m Still In APC – Kwankwaso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.