Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Stock Market: Questions And Answers - Investment (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market: Questions And Answers (30503 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / The Real Problem: Nigerian Stock Market / Investors in the Nigerian Stock Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by arthur2k5: 8:00pm On Jan 17, 2011
I Lost my Last Japaul Oil Original Cert but I have the Scanned Copy in my Email Box Pls Cane someone Help me on what to do.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by sammed33: 5:56am On Jan 22, 2011
I must appreciate u guys for a good job u are doing in the house. I am a newbie who picked interest in the stock market six months ago. All effort to get educated proved abortive. kindly react to the questions below;

how can I benefit in the stock market
what are the necessary precautions in the stock market
what is a broker account
how can I get the right broker

I must thank the gurus in anticipation of your response

save a soul today
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by manie(m): 2:22pm On Jan 25, 2011
Where is the new office of Intercontinental registrars, i learnt they have moved from Kingsway building in Marina Lagos, to some where on the Mainland. Wema registrars just moved from Marina to Oba Akran in Ikeja. Why are they living the island for the mainland.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by hambehsam(m): 7:25pm On Jan 26, 2011
Intercontinental Registrars are on herbert macauley way, at yaba now.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by hambehsam(m): 7:28pm On Jan 26, 2011
@Arthur2k5. Visit the registrars of Japaul at Knight Frank building: Sterling registrars ltd on campbell street, lagos Island, for a possible replacement of the certificate. Afterwards, open a cscs account and get it converted to avoid such occurrences.
Best Wishes.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by atilla(m): 5:27pm On Jan 29, 2011
arthur2k5:

I Lost my Last Japaul Oil Original Cert but I have the Scanned Copy in my Email Box Pls Cane someone Help me on what to do.

@ arthur  what you do is contact sterling registrars, with the indemnity for attached for replacement of certificate with the scanned copy you have make sure you use the same signature you used on lpo form. or u can go to their office in person with a copy of your id card and the form

their addy is

Sterling Registrars Limited,
Head Office,
24 Campbell Street,
Lagos.
Faxsad01) 2646582
Telsad01) 2806987, 7303445
http://www.sterlingregistrarsng.com

goodluck

Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by mongran: 7:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
I must appreciate u guys for a good job u are doing in the house. I am a newbie who picked interest in the stock market six months ago. All effort to get educated proved abortive. kindly react to the questions below;

how can I benefit in the stock market

Answer: The Nigerian Stock Market is not as complex as developed countries, so this is the best time to get involved. The best way to benefit from the market is making sure you buy low and sell high. If the market is falling, do not wait and hope it will come back especially if it is dropped by almost 5% in one day. Get out and get back in when it starts to rise.

what are the necessary precautions in the stock market
Do your homework. Study the industry, understand the stock market. Read books about Value investing from Warren Buffet. Do not make an emotional decision. Bottom Line research.

what is a broker account

A Brokerage account is an account you open with a Stock Broker of your choice. The broker in turn opens an account with the CSCS on your behalf. Make sure the CSCS account is opened in your name and not the name of the broker. Also make sure your broker is well capitalized. Check to see if they are listed as one of the under capitalized firms in the market.
A broker charges a fee, it most be between 1.25% and 1.75%, DO not get tricked into some special management account where they charge you fees and very little. You are entitled to statements any time you want it.

how can I get the right broker

Go to www.nigerianstockexchange.com or www.cscsnigerialtd.com for a list of approved brokers.

I will also strongly suggest you open an account with www.mongranfinancials.com. This is the best real time financial platform for the Nigerian Market and it will help you protect your investments as well as help you keep your broker honest.

I must thank the gurus in anticipation of your response

save a soul today
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by walcolm(m): 1:53pm On Feb 09, 2011
atilla:

@ arthur what you do is contact sterling registrars, with the indemnity for attached for replacement of certificate with the scanned copy you have make sure you use the same signature you used on lpo form. or u can go to their office in person with a copy of your id card and the form

their addy is

Sterling Registrars Limited,
Head Office,
24 Campbell Street,
Lagos.
Faxsad01) 2646582
Telsad01) 2806987, 7303445
http://www.sterlingregistrarsng.com

goodluck

problem with indemnity is that banks dont give it anymore and stockbrokers and insurance companies charge a shitload of money for it, my broker said i had to pay 10k for a signature on an indemnity form while an insurance company told me the minimum charge is 5k or a certain %age of the stockvalue whichever is more

is there any other way to get a cert replaced?
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by 9iceX(m): 9:57am On Feb 14, 2011
Mine is more like a request and advice,
Ok guyz, i have 200k. I dn't realy need this money at the moment so i wanna invest in some things. 2 things came into my mind, i.e, Fixed Deposit and Shares. I need more enlightment from u guys, on which one is more 'profitabu'.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by david90(m): 4:45pm On Feb 16, 2011
@9iceX, if you really want to invest the 200k, i will suggest that you invest it in shares instead of fixed deposit,

in fixed deposit the highest interest rate you can get cannot be as high as 10% which is small, but in share your investment in the long run for at least 5 years will have increased your initial capital if not to a 300% interest on your initial investment and you will also be benefitting from the dividend which you will be getting every year from the company.

i will advise that you buy in to different company shares through your stock broker.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by chikis(m): 10:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
David90, hv u ever traded in shares and it favoured u so well?
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by atilla(m): 12:41pm On Feb 27, 2011
Hi
walcolm:

problem with indemnity is that banks dont give it anymore and stockbrokers and insurance companies charge a shitload of money for it, my broker said i had to pay 10k for a signature on an indemnity form while an insurance company told me the minimum charge is 5k or a certain %age of the stockvalue whichever is more
is there any other way to get a cert replaced?
Bros the first and best thing to do is to contact the registrars, by going to the office, writing letter or emailing yourself and ask them. The registrars are in charge of certs for shareholders so if thats what they require im not sure if theres another way around it. maybe you can get a friend who works in an insurance firm or stock brokers or stock agent to help with the indemnity, thats what I can think of. good luckk
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by xgel: 12:31am On Mar 12, 2011
How many stocksbrokers are presently legally dealing members of the Nigerian Stocks Exchange and what are their names?
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by omoleke(m): 10:23am On Mar 12, 2011
Is the nigerian stock market a good speculative instruments?

Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by olakintanj(m): 4:41pm On Mar 12, 2011
hi, Nairalanders, pls i what to know how CSCS account works, i mean what is it all about?
secondly, if one buy a share through the broker can one have access to his own share cert? and how long will it take to get a Certificate of share not public quoted? Thanks and pls treat urgent.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by worldz(m): 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2011
Hello all!

Does anyone have idea on good stocks (especially banking stocks) that one can invest in for a long term? I'd really appreciate response from everyone.

Thanks!
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by atilla(m): 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2011
Gtb and zenith are good buys. Give bonus and or dividends
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by manie(m): 10:29am On Mar 23, 2011
atilla:

Gtb and zenith are good buys. Give bonus and or dividends
GTB declared dividend of 75k and bonus of 1 for 4, while zenith declared dividend of 85k, access bank declared 30k dividend.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by nosa2(m): 11:05pm On Mar 24, 2011
I'm an investor on the NSE trading from Lagos, if you've got any questions concerning the stock market, want to get a second opinion on any buy or sell decision (with reason) or just want to see the emotions an average investor goes thru follow me on twitter @nse_investor
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by will2lead(m): 6:16am On Mar 25, 2011
NNPC UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY AND CURRENT JOB VACANCIES IN NIGERIA @ www.scholarshipjob.com
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by lazinc(m): 9:26am On Mar 25, 2011
worldz:

Hello all!

Does anyone have idea on good stocks (especially banking stocks) that one can invest in for a long term? I'd really appreciate response from everyone.

Thanks!

First Bank and GT Banks are good buy in the banking sector irrespective of your motivation whether long term or short term.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by davidrdjn(m): 7:41pm On Apr 04, 2011
i
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by davidrdjn(m): 7:45pm On Apr 04, 2011
i
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by wealthnet: 4:57pm On Apr 09, 2011
worldz:

Hello all!

Thanks!

Good stocks in banking sector for buy now are First bank, Zenith bank and GTB. God bless.
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by monopolist: 8:09pm On Apr 12, 2011
BREAKING GOOD NEWS!

SELL STOCKS AND BUY FOOD NOW!

kingolusola@gmail.com
FOOD FOR LIFE PROJECT
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by AceJam: 9:16am On Apr 17, 2011
What Next for Suspended Stockbroking Firms?

April 12, 2011, 2119hrs, Saheed KARIBE

At a compliance meeting held by the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) with the CEOs of stock broking firms on the 7th of January, 2011; the riot act was read to the brokers with regards to the need to enforce the existing capital requirements.

The management of the Exchange represented that all dealing member firms should ensure that they shore up their capital base to the minimum of N70 million and render their quarterly account regularly or face being barred from the market.

Barely two weeks after the meeting was held, the NSE released names of fifty-seven (57) stockbroking firms with inadequate shareholders fund and immediately suspended such firms from trading on the floor. The exchange later added four (4) more dealing member firms to take the total number of firms affected to sixty-one (61).

Among the companies suspended were: Adamawa Securities Limited, Afrinvest West Africa Limited, BGL Securities Limited, Century Securities Limited, Cowry Asset Management Limited, Diamond Securities Limited, First Inland Securities Limited, FIS Securities Limited, Nigerian Stockbrokers Limited, UBA Stockbrokers Limited, Vision Trust and Investment Limited, Pivot Trust and Investment Company Limited, Sigma Securities Limited and Eurocomm Securities Limited.

Some of these firms responded positively to this development/requirement – noting that arrangements had been underway to comply but for the hiatus created at the exchange – and have since complied.

According to our records at Proshare, twenty (20) dealing member firms have since complied with the directives while forty-one (41) are still classified as having ‘inadequate shareholders funds’ as at 3rd of March, 2011. Follow this link to view the list of affected firms

The question now is this – would the NSE use this situation to send a signal as regards its disposition to rules, supervision and enforcement by

1. Announcing an extension to the time limit which expired on March 31st 2011; or

2. Withdrawing the dealing or/and brokerage licences of these firms; or

3. Setting up an incentive scheme where guidance can and will be provided for firms willing to merge and a support service to help those unable to merge come together under a ‘scheme of merger’; or

4. Announcing a spilt in services between dealing and brokerage services with revised capital requirements; or lastly

5. Adopting any combination of the above.

Whichever decision comes out from the exchange, it is important for the market to know that things will never be the same again.

What is now left to be answered is how soon will these inevitability happen and what guidance will the NSE be providing both the operators, investors and general public on how this process will be managed.

Uncertainty is not what the market needs at this time. It is time we confront this matter and get it over with, within the rules of the market and a dose of common sense.

See here for those firms that have complied and those yet to comply: http://www.proshareng.com/news/singlenews.php?id=13185
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by abiolapaul: 5:23pm On Apr 19, 2011
Action is the hallmark of champions. Document those goals, Act on them! OuterEDGE (Business plan, proposals, feasibility report). Call 08030703064 NOW!
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by distinct00: 9:55am On May 18, 2011
i want to know the latest on suspended stockbrokers and what will happen to we their customers, is there any way we can transfer our account from their custody??
Re: Stock Market: Questions And Answers by cutekay00: 3:54am On May 20, 2011
Good day please i will need a candid advise on how to go about this, i have 100,000 naira to spend in acquring shares but don't really have any information on where and what company to buy from. Need to confirm the best market presently, Oil, banking or industries(dangote & co) will also need a competent stock broker whom can help me manage the shares cuz i am still a student just trying to invest for the future.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mmm, Bitcoin And Cbn War: Bitcoin Dealers Should Watch Out. / Cassava To Ethanol Plant In Ondo Ready For Operation Soon (Photos) / Widow Loses N2.9m In Benue To A Ponzi Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.